Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 10: November 2018 - March 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarah, DUchess of York already had talked to Oprah. Plus she did a reality show. No reaction to that apparently by the royals or so I remember.

The Wessexes deflected the question about the Oprah interview in a manner that I found very clever. They don't want to comment. Next.;)

Twitter is ALWAYS going to freak out about something. It's why they exist.:cool:

As for the Archbishop of Canterbury and Oprah Winfrey....why should a non American prelate necessarily know who she is? :sad:

I agree. There are plenty of people on this side of the ocean, who don't know who Oprah is. There are also those who have heard her name but don't know exactly what it is she does, just that she is some kind of celebrity or very wealthy.

Most people in Europe don't watch American TV channels and I think she is therefore actually less recognizable than certain TV actors, because there are American TV shows that are shown on European TV channels - and these days, there's obviously Netflix. But I really don't think Oprah's talk show was ever shown on this side of the Atlantic?

Even if it had been, the AoC wouldn't need to know her. With most celebrities, you could probably find plenty of people who do not know them... It all depends on your interests, what kinds of shows or films you watch etc.

Anyhow, I thought it was a funny deflection by the Wessexes. Very obvious that it was a joke :whistling:

I think it's the Sussex fans that are writing angry comments about the Wessexes on Twitter. I don't think it matters much - they dislike the BRF anyhow, because they believe these weird and contradictory stories of how badly they supposedly treated the Sussexes, as told by the Sussexes. This doesn't really change anything.

Nope they know - they are been factitious.(? probably the wrong word) Which in my opinion was the wrong way to deal with it. They should have just say they would not comment.

Well, it has been known for years that Edward has the same dry sarcastic sense of humor of his father. I personally LOVED Prince Philips' sarcastic whit. Much needed most of the time. I thought they threw the quite uneasy and imprudent question back at the questioner with a 'tongue-in-cheek' remark reminiscent of Prince Philip. People will always see things the way they want. We all do. Most people absolutely dislike Edward and Sophie for things they did over 20 years ago and refuse to ever give them a break for changing. Shame. I certainly enjoyed the entire interview. JMO

A very nice interview and giving nice information one did not know before.
The reaction concerning Oprah was confident without "breaking the rule" HM set that the problems will be dealt within the family, so very well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarah, DUchess of York already had talked to Oprah. Plus she did a reality show. No reaction to that apparently by the royals or so I remember.

It was an embarrassing, ill-advised move when Sarah did it as well. One of too many to count during her public life in fact.

But while she did whinge about being snubbed for the Cambridge wedding, she did not attack the BRF. She did not assert that she had been driven to suicide ideation by her association with them. She didn't say that they snubbed her and threw her to the wolves.

And she did not take the British tabloids to task for their truly vicious treatment-the worst i have ever seen in fact- during her time in the BRF.:ohmy:

A very nice interview and giving nice information one did not know before.
The reaction concerning Oprah was confident without "breaking the rule" HM set that the problems will be dealt within the family, so very well done.

I thought it was a good interview and the Wessex couple came across as lovely people. I can see why they are firm favorites to represent the family at various Royal weddings around Europe. Pre-pandemic, anyway! They are an elegant couple.

The funny little deflection about Oprah seemed to me just a lighthearted way of skating over that topic.

I don't know if this has been posted here before, but speaking of Edward, Philip, and being funny:
From what I recollect, Ed is also known for being a relatively calm and unflappable guy. That plus showbiz should prepare somebody for curveball questions.

Well, it has been known for years that Edward has the same dry sarcastic sense of humor of his father. I personally LOVED Prince Philips' sarcastic whit. Much needed most of the time. I thought they threw the quite uneasy and imprudent question back at the questioner with a 'tongue-in-cheek' remark reminiscent of Prince Philip. People will always see things the way they want. We all do. Most people absolutely dislike Edward and Sophie for things they did over 20 years ago and refuse to ever give them a break for changing. Shame. I certainly enjoyed the entire interview. JMO

Is that not a rather sweeping statement that most people dislike Edward and Sophia, could I ask what evidence you base that comment on.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex came across very well in The Telegraph interview, especially down-to-earth on the subject of COVID-19 pandemic by repeatedly recognising their fortunate position (not just financially but also with close knitted family lived nearby). The discussion on the Duke of Edinburgh awards, Prince Philip's funeral and royal engagements/patronages were very thorough. The revelation on The Duke of Edinburgh title conversation two days after Edward and Sophie's engagement was interesting and to some extent endearing. I also enjoyed reading about Lady Louise and Viscount Severn's interest/hobby and their frequent visits to The Queen and late Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor. The images of The Earl and Countess and their dogs (Mole & Teal) at their Bagshot House were beautiful.

As for The Earl and Countess of Wessex trying to dodge the question on the Oprah's CBS interview, I thought it was humorous and clever. I see no problem of Sophie defending Archbishop of Canterbury not knowing who Oprah Winfrey is. To be honest, I do not know Oprah Winfrey until she visited Australia. When the news about Oprah climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge, I actually asked my parents who is this famous American celebrity. :lol: At that time, I was under 18, who did not follow Celebrity Pop culture and absolutely hopeless at recognising famous people (even Australians) on the media. Even now, my family do not really follow celebrity news.

Not every UK public figures knows US celebrities (including Oprah) back-to-back, especially if they don't follow entertainment news in Hollywood. Andrew Neil (Chairman of The Spectator & GB News, former BBC Broadcaster) admitted on This Morning that he does not know about the Kardashians and would add nothing to the discussion. The video below is hilarious ?

This Morning @thismorning
'There is absolutely nothing I can bring to this conversation, which will be of any use to anybody!'
@afneil makes his opinion on the Kardashians being cancelled very clear! [Face with tears of joy]
Watch the full chat over on the ITV Hub [Right pointing backhand index] http://bit.ly/3f50AZ4
7:57 PM · Sep 9, 2020·Grabyo​

At this point, I'm not surprised at Omid Scobie's disgusting out of context tweet and stirring up trouble :rolleyes:. He has made his scathing opinions on Royal Family members other than Harry & Meghan very clear... :whistling:

Last edited:
Loved seeing more of the grounds of Bagshot. It looks like a beautiful property.

It was an embarrassing, ill-advised move when Sarah did it as well. One of too many to count during her public life in fact.

But while she did whinge about being snubbed for the Cambridge wedding, she did not attack the BRF. She did not assert that she had been driven to suicide ideation by her association with them. She didn't say that they snubbed her and threw her to the wolves.

And she did not take the British tabloids to task for their truly vicious treatment-the worst i have ever seen in fact- during her time in the BRF.:ohmy:

Very true Moonmaiden. While Sarah has made some colossal mistakes during her life after her divorce from Andrew, she's never made the type of claims that both Prince Harry and Meghan have made.

The Wessexes interview was charming and delightful IMHO. They are a wonderful team and an outstanding asset to the Queen. I especially admired their comment about bringing attention to their various charities and patronages.

Count me among the many that thoroughly enjoyed the Earl and Countess of Wessex's recent interview. I have been a longtime fan of the Wessexes and once again they rise to the occasion. Lovely photos as well.

I agree the Bagshot grounds are so tranquil in appearance I just want to live there

I might be a bit biased because I absolutely love these two but my goodness, those photographs are incredible and Sophie is absolutely stunning. And I have to say, the way Edward looks at her...:twohearts:

I have said it before: this woman looks better now than she did when she was younger. She has found her own style and she is confident, not overly confident but confident in a good way. I would like to know her beauty regime though...:lol:
Nice dress..

2 interviews of Edward - CNN and BBC for what would have been the Duke of Edinburgh's 100th Birthday

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/10/...hilip-legacy-sussexes-cmd-gbr-intl/index.html

There is better stories on the Telegraph. Can anyone post the archival stories about the Future of the DOE Awards. I cant seem to find it in archive.

This one by the Earl of Wessex himself?

https://archive.ph/JWBoM

It's pretty good. They're looking to start up a memorial fund so even more people can access the awards but Edward comments that the DoE wouldn't want it to be about him.

Interesting that it's Edward (and Sophie) doing a lot of the press for the DoE's birthday. I can see why since he's patron of the award and future DoE as well as The Firm wanting them to become more prominent.

The RF offered to give interviews at the beginning of the year for the Duke's 100th - there was to be one for every network. Edward and Sophie appear to have kept the agreement with the people who wanted them in the beginning of the year.

Thank you for posting the Telegraph article.
Side note - there is a bunch of article over at DM and DE - will not be linking to them.

Yesterday, June 11, the Earl and Countess of Wessex opened the Pre-Preparatory and Music School at Eagle House School, Sandhurst:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

That's where their son used to go isn't it? Nice to be able to do an official engagement for the school.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57489426

Sophie's been speaking to the BBC about her work with survivors of rape in war. She's also been talking about coping with the loss of Prince Philip, and how the pandemic's made it difficult to provide as much support to the Queen as would be possible in normal times.

She and Naga are almost matching.

Very interesting clip I'm looking forward to the full interview. It's such an important cause and I know Sophie has dedicated a number of years to it so it will be great it if gets more coverage.

Seems to have taken people along time to be aware of how impressive Sophie has always been b ut at least they have arrived now ... so welcome!

Seems to have taken people along time to be aware of how impressive Sophie has always been b ut at least they have arrived now ... so welcome!
t

I so agree with you , well said.

I must admit that I never thought I would see the day that Piers Morgan, Naga Munchetty and Dickie Arbiter say nice things about the Wessex's. Might be a sign of the apocalypse.

I've managed to listen to the whole thing and it was really good to hear.

I think Sophie is pretty good at talking about her fears and experiences and both acknowledging that a lot of people are feeling the same (lockdown and the death of a loved one - especially in lockdown) and also acknowledging that she is privileged in many ways.

It's also good that she talked about talking to her children about her work on very difficult subjects. There's lots of "talk to your kids about consent" which is great, but it's not always easy.

And she hopes as her daughter gets older that she will have some great friends who won't sell her out to the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom