Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 10: November 2018 - March 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone has taken Edward shopping :) Thank you.

Today, May 13, the Earl of Wessex visited Aspire Oxford, a shelter by St Mungo's and The Gatehouse Oxford - three homelessness support projects in Oxford:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Very worthwhile projects. Edward always wears a snazzy mask.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex visited the Vaccination Centre at the Bath and West Showground, Shepton Mallet, today, May 17:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Last edited:
The Countess of Wessex attended the launch British Wheelchair Basketball's 'Inspire a Generation' programme at Finsbury Park today, May 20:

** gettyimages gallery ** rex gallery **

** dm article: Sporty Sophie! Casual Countess of Wessex dons a hoodie and trainers to try her hand at..**

Furthermore the Countesd of Wessex has become the new patron of Wellbeing of Women:

** dm article: Sophie Wessex says menopause is 'like a shackle' and reveals she once 'completely lost her train of thought' ..**

Last edited:

Yes, that's received some coverage in the press today. Times have certainly changed - you certainly can't ever imagine the Queen or the Queen Mother speaking out about the menopause. It's good to see Sophie talking about the taboos that still surround "women's issues".

They are both performing wonderful and really supportive work ... I love that Sophie has started to speak abour=t menopause I just really appreciate this couple

Major interview in the Telegraph for Edward and Sophie this weekend to mark what would have been Philip's 100th birthday. Edward talks a little about becoming DOE one day:

It is a burden that the Earl does not carry lightly – not least when he is the one who will inherit his father’s title, the Duke of Edinburgh, when his eldest brother takes the throne. The Countess recalls the time when, two days after their engagement, Prince Philip popped round to ask his youngest (and, some say, favourite) son if he would be willing to become the next Duke of Edinburgh. ‘We sat there slightly stunned. He literally came straight in and said: “Right. I’d like it very much if you would consider that.”’

Really good interview with their thoughts on the funeral, HM, Oprah who? ;), COVID, "stepping up" and getting more attention, The DOE Award and it's legacy and their family life, dogs and children.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...matter-earl-countess-wessex-grieving-grandpa/

https://archive.ph/tvryy

Last edited:
That's a wonderful detail about how it was Philip who truly wanted to pass his title on and found an unorthodox way to (indirectly) do so and came to ask them only 2 days after their engagement; he clearly didn't want to waste time.

I also like this detail about their own DoE Awards:
The Earl completed his gold award in 1986, while the Countess went one stage further in 2016 by cycling 445 miles from the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh to Buckingham Palace, as part of the scheme’s Diamond Challenge. Louise will complete her gold-award expedition next summer, when she has finished her A levels at St Mary’s School in Ascot, while James will embark on his bronze award next year after he turns 14 this December.

Taking part has made Louise more confident, the Earl says. ‘It’s just broadened her horizons. I think she’s probably got a little focused on, especially at the school she is at, just on the academics but…’
The Countess jumps in: ‘She’s loved it, it’s really pushed her into doing things that she’s had to schedule into her routine. She’s quite a committed person anyway. This is the kind of thing that really ticks the boxes for her. But in terms of confidence, it’s given her a huge amount. She’s taken up fencing again as her skill, which she has really loved.’

Last edited:
This is a wonderful interview.

I loved reading the story about Philip talking to Edward about wanting him to have the DoE title. I also enjoyed reading about their passion for the DofE awards and how Louise is doing on hers. Philip is clearly very much missed.

I have to lol regarding their responses to The Interview. Oprah who? Lol what interview? They were never going to really respond. So, I like the humorous deflection.

More seriously, it’s nice that Sophie said that she’d chatted with Harry when he was in London. And that she made a point of noting in the interview that they’d always be family.

I strongly agree with Edward in the following regarding virtual work: it works well when the relationships are established, but the virtual environment doesn’t work well for building relationships. Some things IMO are best done in person.

What a wonderful interview.

Major interview in the Telegraph for Edward and Sophie this weekend to mark what would have been Philip's 100th birthday. Edward talks a little about becoming DOE one day:

Really good interview with their thoughts on the funeral, HM, Oprah who? ;), COVID, "stepping up" and getting more attention, The DOE Award and it's legacy and their family life, dogs and children.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...matter-earl-countess-wessex-grieving-grandpa/

https://archive.ph/tvryy

What a wonderful interview and I absolutely love the photo of them in what appears to be a conservatory. The way Edward is looking at Sophie is beautiful. It’s nice to hear from them and their thoughts. They’re so underrated as a working couple from the family.

What a wonderful interview and I absolutely love the photo of them in what appears to be a conservatory. The way Edward is looking at Sophie is beautiful. It’s nice to hear from them and their thoughts. They’re so underrated as a working couple from the family.

I liked their thoughts on being "underrated" and now "stepping up" "what did people think we were doing beforehand?!" But how:

‘Well, we’re flattered is probably the best way of putting it,’ insists the Earl, who stood down from Ardent, his television production company, to devote his life to full-time royal duties in 2002, as his wife also agreed to relinquish her successful career in public relations. ‘Inevitably the spotlight and the focus falls on younger members as time goes on,’ the Countess admits. ‘We’ve plodded along doing what we’re doing, hopefully doing it well. And then all of a sudden there’s a bit of a hiatus and things have changed a bit.

‘Naturally, the media are looking for people to fill the so-called void. But you know, we have been doing this for what feels like a pretty long time!

If people want to pay more attention to what we’re doing then great, because actually, that’s got to be good for our organisations and the work that we are trying to carry out.’ Acknowledging that his mother’s job is ‘not one you can walk away from’, the Earl adds, ‘It just carries on relentlessly. So yes the support is important, that we’re there.’

And

There were certainly moments when I think we all felt a bit low. But then you have to sit there and go, hang on – look at our wonderful surroundings, we are very, very lucky, and so many other people are not in that situation. Had we been sitting in an apartment, you know in a tenement block… My heart goes out to people in that situation.’

I think that was a good way of acknowledging their situation in lockdown.

Also the part where Edward talks about the DOE awards and taking the backhanded compliment if kids only do it to "look good to employers" and how important it is to them to make sure it's available to everyone, whatever their background.

It's interesting, clearly this piece has been planned for a while given that it happened before Fergus the puppy died and it's obviously a deliberately flattering piece, it still gives incite into them and their work.

It's also unfortunate that their joking deflection of Oprah and the interview are being taken the wrong way on twitter. Oh well.

I believe those are the best pictures I have seen of Edward and Sophie! Lovely interview...they always strike the right tone: compassionate, humble, and healing words.

There was to be a number of interviews, and TV coverage this week for the DOE's 100 Birthday. After his death - I assumed that all the interviews were cancelled. The fact that this one wasn't and was kept shows that BP is eager to move Edward and Sophie up and in a way relaunch them.
I am a bit concerned that CT spoke about Harry and Oprah at all. Usually anyone who interviews a royal will be given a list of items that are off limits - if she asked still, it very unprofessional. Either way - Edward should have just said that they would not be discuss the issue, denying it happened is just a bit ridiculous.
I do think it is funny that Sophie's spaniel, Mole appears to have became Edward's dog.

As far as the photos go - yep that possible the most at ease I have seen Edward as well.

I think that was a good way of acknowledging their situation in lockdown.

It's also unfortunate that their joking deflection of Oprah and the interview are being taken the wrong way on twitter. Oh well.

Well twitter has more than its fair share of halfwits looking to be outraged.

Why are some people surprised that the Archbishop of Canterbury doesn't know who Oprah Winfrey is? Makes perfect sense to me.

Recently I was mocked by my friends for not knowing who Martha Steward is. I was then told she is the US's Delia Smith - which when I googled she really isnt. So if you dont follow US daytime TV how are you to know these things if they are not in your line of work?

Recently I was mocked by my friends for not knowing who Martha Steward is. I was then told she is the US's Delia Smith - which when I googled she really isnt. So if you dont follow US daytime TV how are you to know these things if they are not in your line of work?

Sophie didn't hear that Harry and Meghan have doen interviews with Oprah?

Nope they know - they are been factitious.(? probably the wrong word) Which in my opinion was the wrong way to deal with it. They should have just say they would not comment.

I am a bit concerned that CT spoke about Harry and Oprah at all. Usually anyone who interviews a royal will be given a list of items that are off limits - if she asked still, it very unprofessional. Either way - Edward should have just said that they would not be discuss the issue, denying it happened is just a bit ridiculous.

Since they got the question, I thought their response was fine. I thought it was a funny bit of deflection. It wasn’t a serious response.

I’m not sure what the response is on Twitter. But that there seems to be an issue for some people on Twitter over their joking deflection of Oprah just reinforces my overall poor opinion of Twitter.

Why are some people surprised that the Archbishop of Canterbury doesn't know who Oprah Winfrey is? Makes perfect sense to me.

Well it was more Omid Scobie deliberately fanning flames by taking the quote out of context. This is what she said:

While reluctant to get drawn into the ongoing tensions between him and the Duke of Cambridge, the Countess is careful to point out how ‘nice’ it was to have a lengthy chat with Harry at Windsor Castle after the service.

Did they watch the Oprah Winfrey interview? I inquire sheepishly.

They look at each other as if to dare the other to speak first.

‘Oprah who?’ smiles the Earl, feigning ignorance.

‘Yes, what interview?’ chuckles his wife.

While I’m certain they know exactly who and what I am talking about, I share an anecdote about the Archbishop of Canterbury apparently having a long conversation with Winfrey at Harry and Meghan’s wedding in 2018 without having a clue who she was. The Countess leaps to the Most Reverend Justin Welby’s defence: ‘You know, if you’re not into chat shows, there’s no reason why you should know who she is. Certainly not in this country, anyway.’

Very innocuous. But Scobie presented it as a) Sophie herself claiming she didn't know anything about Oprah and B) lying because she should have mentioned visiting Oprah Winfrey Academy in SA even though that had nothing to do with what was said.

So his followers are taking the "Oprah who?" seriously and thinking Sophie is trying to downplay Oprah's accomplishments when it's clear she's just saying that Oprah isn't as famous in the UK as she is in the US and defending Welby a little. Not that she had no idea about her personally.

Bit of a Tempest in a teacup but an annoying one that trended for a few hours. Maybe they should have just said no comment, but oh, well I thought it was amusing.

The did also reaffirm "we're all family whatever happens".

There was to be a number of interviews, and TV coverage this week for the DOE's 100 Birthday. After his death - I assumed that all the interviews were cancelled. The fact that this one wasn't and was kept shows that BP is eager to move Edward and Sophie up and in a way relaunch them.

I think that's just what this was. And I think it's quite successful (barring aforementioned twitter moaning). They actually answered questions on "stepping up" and acknowledged that they're happy to be the bridge between generations for a while.

Last edited:
Stunning couple the images are so natural and the words of the interview reflect the people they are ...I nod envy them their home it is beautiful the grounds are breath taking .... they are a loving family and recognise the need to be part of a larger family. Like William Edward has married the best sort of person from a solid family home with strong family values and a fabulous family culture.

Yes - that is probably what it was however as it is a written article it is difficult to say. I expect CT to be on GMB next week and she will talk more about the interview. The problem without inflection and body language - the meaning of what is said can easily be misinterpreted. It would have been easier to not have any misunderstanding at all.

They clearly were trying to avoid getting into the Oprah interview and said "Oprah who" in jest. Maybe they should have just said no comment like they did when they were asked about Andrew. People will always interpret things in their own ways. We have seen that many times with all interviews. But overall I thought it was a nice piece on the Wessexes.

The interview was wonderfully done, especially when it isn't something they do every day.

I can't see what else could they have done about the Oprah interview. The RF's strategy is not giving it the time of the day because recollections vary, you know. There were few answers they could have given that would have achieved the "not so important, we've moved past it" vibe. And I loved the way Sophie defended the AoC.

I don't love Scobie's editorial interpretation, though, but since I'm not a twitter person, it's no skin off my nose.

The Wessexes deflected the question about the Oprah interview in a manner that I found very clever. They don't want to comment. Next.;)

Twitter is ALWAYS going to freak out about something. It's why they exist.:cool:

As for the Archbishop of Canterbury and Oprah Winfrey....why should a non American prelate necessarily know who she is? :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom