Did Sophie Copy Princess Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you Claire. The Countess of Wessex does have it better than Sarah, but I don't think it's because of her repeating clothes or not, I just think it is because Sophie's style is MUCH MUCH better than Sarah's ever was. At the beggining of the marriage, Sophie's style was not that good, but now, her style is amazing. Sarah's style never got better, plus, Sarah was constantly compared to Diana when it came to their clothes, while Sophie is rarely now compared to Diana. The Wessex's income is no where near that of the Wales', but Sophie can still easily afford to by designer and couture clothes, hats, etc., especially with The Queen paying them (as well as Anne and Andrew) a generous allowence every year.

Originally posted by Claire@Jun 19th, 2004 - 6:49 am
I know I'm propbably going to get kicked for saying this. But I think that Sophie has it better than Sarah. I remember that Sarah used to get such bad press whenever she wore a dress twice, when she looked bad in an outfit or her hat was ugly. Sophie rewears her outfits regularly, and she thankfully doesn't get that.
The late 80's tabloids were ruthless.

Claire
You are right Claire in saying that the 80's tabloids were ruthless. Sarah had much to contend with--comparisons to Diana, and a dress style that did not improve immediately. Perhaps the Queen learned from this and makes sure Sophie doesn't fall into the predicament that Sarah did by giving even more money to insure fashion acceptance.

In addition, when the economy is not as good as it was in the 80's, it is now considered good that Sophie recycles her outfits. If Sarah or Diana did too much of that, they would have been splashed across the tabloids as a "second-hand roses".

I love both women and I do not think that Sophie copied Diana. In the early days when she broke into the scene, I would often mistake her for Diana when I saw her pictures but it is more because of the similarity in their looks, hairstyle etc. She may have used the experience of Diana as a guideline in the area of fashions and I don't see anything wrong with that. Diana was the trendsetter for the modern princesses in that area.
But from the beginning she developed her own style. I think her clothes for royal duties are more proffessional and businesslike (except for the hats!), wheres Diana's tended to be of the genteel style - pretty and beautiful. IMHO.

I heard some years ago on TV that Lady Diana had known Sophie. And Diana was a little bit nerved by the looking of Sophie. Diana said with a little humor in her voice: "Oh, my mirror is coming." But Sophie looks like she looks.

I think Diana knew of Sophie she must have seen Sophie at family events at windsor or balmoral castle I also remeber that both Diana and Sophie were at Lady Sarah Chatto's wedding there's even a photo of them together.

tiaraprin said:
You are right Claire in saying that the 80's tabloids were ruthless. Sarah had much to contend with--comparisons to Diana, and a dress style that did not improve immediately. Perhaps the Queen learned from this and makes sure Sophie doesn't fall into the predicament that Sarah did by giving even more money to insure fashion acceptance.

In addition, when the economy is not as good as it was in the 80's, it is now considered good that Sophie recycles her outfits. If Sarah or Diana did too much of that, they would have been splashed across the tabloids as a "second-hand roses".

Also, Sarah has a mouth on her and she was quite verbal about her likes/dislikes and the press. She probably made so enemies with the media and therefore they weren't going to treat too kindly.

sirhon11234 said:
I think Diana knew of Sophie she must have seen Sophie at family events at windsor or balmoral castle I also remeber that both Diana and Sophie were at Lady Sarah Chatto's wedding there's even a photo of them together.

I sure would like to see that photo as I think they resemble one another more than Diana's sister Jane.

Lady Jean said:
The financial situation of Wessex vs. Wales is very different, but of course Sophie can afford to pay huge sums for clothes, etc.

I wonder how much does the Wesexxes bring in on a yearly basis. Then they have the huge monthly payment on their home and they have to present themselves very princely. So, I wonder if they pinch pennies. Since, Sophie has no job now, except for the crown, she might get a little edgy and want to do more than what she is doing and to earn her own cash.

sirhon11234 said:
I know from a very reliable source that Diana went out of her way to find out about Sophie, buying newspapers that wrote about her and talking to people that had met her. I wonder if she ever made an attempt to meet her.

There is no doubt that Sophie can't afford to spend a lot on clothes. She receives a budget from the Queen for clothes for engagements - which has to be accounted for. It is actually determined according to need. An official tour gets more money, other clothes comes out of her pocket or Edwards. The money she get from the Queen pays for her and Edward's staff, not clothes and asessories.
I think that Sophie is very good with budget buying, she plans her wardrope in advance, and sticks to classics and things she can mix and match. I don't think they have to worry about Edward's wardrobe - he could be wearing the Duke of Edinburgh's hand me downs and we wouldn't know.

HRH Kimetha said:
I wonder how much does the Wesexxes bring in on a yearly basis. Then they have the huge monthly payment on their home and they have to present themselves very princely.
Bagshot Park is a Crown Estates property and as a result, Edward and Sophie will not pay any rent or utilities. He used to get around £141,000 per year from the civil list, but with inflation I should think that has gone up and the Queen will not stint any of her children's pocket money. Any clothes for official tours are paid for by the Foreign Office. Although she is almost a minor royal, she will still get the freebies. :flowers:

Sophie resembles Diana in looks only

Sophie does indeed look a lot like Princess Diana, however when watching interviews with her it is very evident that her personality is far more assertive than Diana's. Diana had a quiet loveliness and sweet spirit that made her unique as a royal. Sophie may look like her, but that's where the similarity ends. Sophie's strength is her stamina. Beloved Diana did not have a chance to develop it coming into the royal family at such an early age. Luckily Sophie got to watch and learn from past mistakes and live inside the royal circle for many years before she became an official member. Sophie is lovely and it is nice that she resembles a beloved royal such as Princess Diana.

It was interesting that all the Di lookalikes became Sophie lookalikes when she died. At least they weren't like the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret lookalikes I've worked with who are still doing it 5 years on. Don't get me wrong, the ladies who do it are lovely but I think there's an issue of taste.

Last edited:
ClassicRoyal said:
...Beloved Diana did not have a chance to develop it coming into the royal family at such an early age...

So true. Imagine what obstacles she might've overcame if she had been able to develop into a stronger woman. She really came into her own later in her life. I believe that she might still be with us if she had the chance to grow into an adult. MHO

I know this is Sophie's thread but...

Well,Sophie took cues from a very fashionable woman;Diana was dressing chicly,elegantly and tastefully in those days.Who can blame Sophie for wanting to look elegant,too?
I miss Sophie's shorter hair,but longer hair serves as padding for a tiara,I suppose.

Well Diana had about 17 years from the time of her marriage to the time of her death, so she had plenty of time to grow into an adult.

the di look

back then everyone wanted the di look:wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think honestly that Diana sort of copied the Duchess of Gloucester. If you look at the eighties photos of both women, their styles are remarkably similar. Maybe it was accidental and only because of the fashions for women of their calibur in the day, but I can't shake that impression. And in the nineties, when the Duchess chopped her hair, Diana did it too.
Sophie must have been part of the same social set and therefore, Sophie went along with the same fashions.
As to Sophie and Diana "looking" alike, no way, not at all. There is some similar Sloaney-poney-ness but that's it. I think they got on well, though, and respected each other. I remember a photo of them together from 1994. They seemed to enjoy each other's company a lot. :)

I think by the time of her death Diana did mature into a strong woman.

CasiraghiTrio said:
I think honestly that Diana sort of copied the Duchess of Gloucester. If you look at the eighties photos of both women, their styles are remarkably similar. Maybe it was accidental and only because of the fashions for women of their calibur in the day, but I can't shake that impression. And in the nineties, when the Duchess chopped her hair, Diana did it too.
Sophie must have been part of the same social set and therefore, Sophie went along with the same fashions.
I think you are spot on and yes they were the fashion of the day. :flowers:

Actually...if I recall (can't remember the source)...the Chatto wedding was one of the few times that Sophie and Diana were in the same place. Diana was on her way out of the family and Sophie was just dating (although seriously) Edward.

Sophie made an effort not to be that close to Diana (at least in public) because of the comparisons that were being made in the press. There was also talk of Sophie being uncomfortable because Diana was staring at her (it is somewhat rude but I am going to guess that Diana was looking for the "comparison" as well.

Supposedly we all have a twin in the world. I have seen pics of "mine" and to me...we look nothing alike!

But yes in the 90's...a lot of people dressed like them.

Zonk said:
...the Chatto wedding was one of the few times that Sophie and Diana were in the same place.

That was it. It was the Chatto wedding where I saw them in one photo talking just outside the cathedral. The photo was in the book by Andrew Morton, the second one he did about Diana, "her new life" or something. Well, in any case, they looked like they felt pleasant enough. I think Diana remained on good terms with some members of the family and was always mindful, though respectful of those members' cautious attitude to her. She knew what a tight rope it was and didn't want to make things worse, if only for the sake of her sons. I like what sirhon said a couple of posts up and agree that she was finally growing up and coming to terms with her demons, taken from the world at a time when she was maturing very nicely. It took her a long time to mature, but in fairness, she had a lot more demons to battle out than say, Camilla, who really has had a charmed existence by comparison! ;) Camilla found her soulmate so young and has always been loved by the man of her dreams ever since. how many people are so lucky?

except for the hair i don't think they look anything alike. i also think that sophie is quietly confident enough not to have to copy diana. both women have wonderful fashion sense and seem to stick to classic styles.

except for the hair i don't think they look anything alike. i also think that sophie is quietly confident enough not to have to copy diana. both women have wonderful fashion sense and seem to stick to classic styles.

No, I agree that there is no question of either Sophie or Diana ever copying each other, not intentionally. Apart from having similar mannerisms and fashion preferences, from being products of similar social circles, there is no resemblance beyond superficiality. However, some pictures of Sophie and Edward when they were just getting to know each other, vaguely resemble Prince William and Kate, not physically, but just the way they hold themselves with each other, the mannerisms and everything. Prince William now is just so young Edwardish, and Kate just has that Sophie, part-girl-next-door, part-wealthy Miss Tweedy quality. :D

But all the royal women do kind of copy each other in a way. They have this strict code of fashion -- tweeds for country outings, proper heels and skirts for engagements, tiaras for gala -- that they all just stick to and feed from. Besides that, there are the standard swapping and recycling, Diana wearing (and getting some foot fungus thing from) Sarah's shoes, the Queen pawning off her oldie dresses on Anne or Margaret or whatever.... I guess it's just another reason to love them. ;)

Last edited:
Sophie did have a different hairstyle in the photo (I don't have the link) taken at the "real tennis" first meeting of Prince Edward. (The one where she draped her arm around Edward) the next photos I remember of Sophie showed her with a very similar cut of the early Diana style...but then that particular style (which I thought was inspired by Dorothy Hamil at the 1976 Olympics) is a no-muss, no-fuss style...very flattering for both Diana's and Sophie's face shape.

Sophie always looks very nice and never seems to want to upstage Her Majesty which should be the goal of every royal lady.

i dont think so

maybe thier choices are similar

but it doesnt seem like she is copying her

Diana wearing (and getting some foot fungus thing from) Sarah's shoes,

In her autobiography Sarah claimed that SHE caught something from Diana's shoes... and this allegedly caused the rift that lasted until Diana's death.

I still don't understand why she mentioned that in her book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom