Did Edward succeed or fail to live a 'normal' life?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did Edward succeed or fail to lead a normal life? Well, he's not six feet under yet and his life is far from over so it's difficult to answer this question. When he dies and one can thoroughly analyze his life then one's question will be answered.

I respect the fact that Prince Edward tried to do his own thing rather than automatically do what was expected of him. If nothing else, this shows that he's somewhat of an independant thinker. Going to New Zealand as a young man to be a teacher showed some gumption as well. Perhaps he was a bit slower than his siblings to "grow up", but that's not unsual for the youngest child.

I always consider him a success at being a husband and father, and an ordinary person born into an extraordinary family. As to his business failures, the best way of succeeding is by failing. Eventually people get it right and find what it is that they were meant to do. Edward is hampered by his connections to the royal family, but he has succeeded in forging a life of his own that is meaningful to him. He is married to a nice woman and not a nasty little cow, so more power to him. If they are happy, that is their success. That's all that most people want anyway. I don't think he feels burdened by some failed endeavors.

I've always been of a mind that someone becomes a "failure" when they stop trying to succeed, not when they their efforts don't pan out. Since Edward has always kept trying, I wouldn't say he's a failure at all.

He has a tough hand to play. In the royal world, he's "ordinary" in many ways -- he's never been dashing figure, he's not a war hero, he's not the heir, etc. He just seems like a nice-looking guy who takes on relatively low-profile, day-to-day royal tasks without a lot of fanfare. That's dutiful and admirable.

But, in the "ordinary" world, he'll always be a little different because he's a royal. No matter how much he strives to live like "the rest of us," he's always going to be a person who attracts attention and stands apart. When he goes to a concert or the library, he's a royal acting like a normal person, not a normal person. The very fact that we know he does these things and there are Internet discussions about whether he "lives a normal life" is proof that he isn't normal.

I think he manages to balance the two aspects of his life pretty gracefully. It must take a lot of courage to stick your neck out and try something like starting a company or getting into an elite military unit when you know the world is watching, so I give him a lot of credit for that.

I really do not believe he lives a "normal" life. Following the failure of his busines venture, he works full time as a royal, on an income provided by his mother and in a house provided by his mother, supported by staff provided by his mother. There is very little normalcy as I would see it.

Oh, I don't know...these days, lots of people seem to be living off their parents after they lose their jobs... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In my view, the situation is quite different. A conscience decision was taken in the early part of the decade that the Earl and Countess would fully devote their time to royal duties, and they would not have any commerical roels to play.

I think you're right -- my previous comment was meant as a joke.

But, I have the impression that they took the decision because both Edward's and Sophie's jobs were becoming problematic. If you recall, Edward had caused some bad feelings with Charles when his production company broke the coverage agreement when William was at St. Andrews. Sophie had her own problems when she walked into a set-up staged by some tabloid reporters who were posing as prospective clients.

Both those episodes showed that even small lapses in judgment could result in big hassles for the monarch. If I'm remembering the timing right, Sophie's incident was pretty much the end of either of them working outside the royal family.

So, in that sense, it was a good try, but normal careers didn't turn out to be viable over the long term.

Quite right, I think Sophie's escapade with the Sheikh really was the end of them as a working couple

I think he has done well at all he has done.
Supporting the monarchy is the job of the queens sons.
And he does a good job of it.
As far as working i think he had a good go of it.

Yes, I agree. He tried to be an individual and "hoe his own roe", and it didn't really work out for him for one reason or another. When it came to being a "working royal", he took up the job and does well at it.:flowers:

I think he has done well at all he has done.
Supporting the monarchy is the job of the queens sons.
And he does a good job of it.
As far as working i think he had a good go of it.

Well, what could be "normal" about living in Bagshot Park, mom pays for the place. Wife wears a tiara. Mom has a palace. His life is just quieter and more low key.

Well, what could be "normal" about living in Bagshot Park, mom pays for the place. Wife wears a tiara. Mom has a palace. His life is just quieter and more low key.

I think the question has more to do with Edwards TV company, and tries at working in the real world.
Not living in a royal household.
Yes he has a quieter and more low key life style and that suits him.

I do wish he had been able to start his own company, and go out and work everyday.

Instead of which he is a useful "Member of The Firm" !!

I have a lot of time for Edward and Sophie - they seem to be muddling along like any other couple.

I don't think he ever stood a chance. Had he quietly worked for a not-for-profit or something like that maybe. But film making?? And his wife in PR? No hope--influence peddling! That's all they'd ever have heard. I do think Bagshot Park is a bit MUCH however. I think they could find a smaller place and still be "secure" but live less ostentatiously. I think Edward IS trying to do his best in assuming some of his father's duties like the DofE Awards. They children look sweet--wish we saw them a little more, but given how far down the list they'll be when they grow up I think that's ok.

@ Hopewell-
I do not think the Wessexes choose to keep the children out of the spotlight, because of their rank, but to try to let the children have as much privacy as they can, given who they are.

I don't think he ever stood a chance. Had he quietly worked for a not-for-profit or something like that maybe. But film making?? And his wife in PR? No hope--influence peddling! That's all they'd ever have heard. I do think Bagshot Park is a bit MUCH however. I think they could find a smaller place and still be "secure" but live less ostentatiously. I think Edward IS trying to do his best in assuming some of his father's duties like the DofE Awards. They children look sweet--wish we saw them a little more, but given how far down the list they'll be when they grow up I think that's ok.

I agree; Sophie is still accused of influence peddling now.

As for Edward, I believe he simply hadn't the skills and know-how to make a success of the career he wanted.
Now he's reverted to type, but I suspect there's an underlying resentment there.

I wonder why Edward and Sophie waited a long time to get married.They were both in their late 20s when they met and werent in their early 20s,so they didnt need to "take time to enjoy singlehood"like a lot of other royals and people these days.

They weren't going out together for an awfully long time. I think that they started dating in 1993 or 1994 and got married in 1999. Prince Edward was very keen to marry in his own time and not be pushed into it by the press, having seen the disintegration of his brothers' marriages.

During that time-frame also there was the War of the Wales and then the death of Diana so a royal wedding too soon after that event simply wouldn't have gone down too well with the public.

Yes, that was a definite factor as well. The family really needed some time to recover from the bad publicity surrounding Diana's death.

During that time-frame also there was the War of the Wales and then the death of Diana so a royal wedding too soon after that event simply wouldn't have gone down too well with the public.

I saw Prince Edward coming out of St. Giles' Kirk in Edinburgh a few weeks ago, for the "Kirking of the Scottish Parliament".

Not having managed to get there on time, I didn't know that he was due, and I was pleasantly surprised. He certainly did not come across as haughty.

He is precieved as haughty?He seems very nice to me.

I don't think he is, I think the RF is.

I do wish he was still working at his production company.He seemed to have enjoyed that.

This thread is almost 10 years old now, and I'm curious if anyone has changed their opinion of Edward's success/failure.

So far he has succeeded in living a normal life.

Edward seems to be quite happy and content, but who knows. We, the public, see so little of him, he's rarely interviewed and his engagements aren't very well publicised. His marriage has succeeded though, the Wessexes appear to live a very happy and quiet family life. He may dabble in various business ventures on the side which we don't know about. I think Edward's probably fine.

Back
Top Bottom