Did Edward succeed or fail to live a 'normal' life?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edward appears to be a contented, happy man, secure in the love of his wife and family. IMO he's done well.:flowers:

I always thought Edward was spoiled, and something of a cipher. IMO, the drive and intelligence in that duo belongs to Sophie.

He does seem reasonably content with his lot, but I wonder how deep it goes. I remember a comment by Charles that seemed to dismiss Edward as someone who's a bit thick and wishy-washy. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but Edward is a question-mark.

What do you mean?

I believe that James was a happy and unexpected surprise for Sophie and Edward. The birth of their second child went very smoothly with none of the drama and danger that had accompanied Louise's birth.

IMHO over the years the Wessex family has come to represent a real success story for the BRF. Sophie and Edward have made mistakes, but I really believe that they are now viewed by QEII and the DoE as dependable and stable contributors.

I was only thinking the other day that Edward seemed to be 'a good son'. Not a lot of controversy, a few unkind rumours early on, but from where I sit he's rather low key, a good father and husband and a dependable royal.

Edward has caused some issues and headlines over the years but nothing like his brothers. He settled well with Sophie I think they make a good team they made some mistakes but have always seemed happy with each other and he is the only one still married and without a whiff of an unhappy marriage. He took some time to work out what he wanted to do he is take over from the DOE for awards scheme he and Sophie do a lot of engagements and both are liked. They seem to spend a bit more time with the Queen which is lovely. Their children both seem happy and well adjusted and it will be interesting to see how they grow up I think they will be more like Zara and Peter and make their own way in life. I think all the children were spoiled Andrew has always been said to be the Queens favourite and Ann Prince Phillips. I don't think Charles is as close to his younger brothers stories for years he doesn't approve of Andrew I haven't heard him say anything negative about Edward.

Charles was said to be enraged with Edward when his media company followed William at Univeristy, when the press had agreed to back off. So I would not say he's not been angry with him at times. And overall, Edward Is IMO not of much interest and his "living a normal life" has not been a success. Same with Sophie

I do honestly believe, as much as I do like her, that Sophie has played a very careful PR game after the first few years of their marriage. I think she recognised that they were better playing the long game and just keeping heads down and getting on in the same way Anne does. Add in a little bit more fashion that Anne can or wants to do and being more touchy feely and you have good PR from the ex PR manager. Likewise I do think Sophie plays up being close to the Queen.
None of this is a bad thing IMO because ultimately good PR for them is good PR for the monarchy.
Why bring this up in this thread? Because I do think Sophie has helped it appear Ed (and her) live a normal life but I'm not sure its all 100% as normal as it is made out to be. Wasn't it once said that when Edward arrived for military training or a weekend away and asked why his bag was so heavy he replied he had no idea as his valet had packed it.

Because I do think Sophie has helped it appear Ed (and her) live a normal life but I'm not sure its all 100% as normal as it is made out to be.

I agree.

I remember an article that said Edward and Sophie were more like brother/sister than husband/wife.
I've always gotten a similar impression.

Still, they seem content with their lives.

That's not my impression, and it certainly wasn't when they were first married. They've been married for 18 years this summer, and so it's normal that they aren't all lovey-dovey in public. They have the only successful first marriage among Edward's siblings.

I remember an article that said Edward and Sophie were more like brother/sister than husband/wife.

I think that Edward and Sophie do live a normal life – but the Royal version of 'normal life' – they're never going to live in a 3 bedroom house with one toilet like most of (in NZ).

I also think they have a happy marriage; body language, eye contact, they seem very contented. Not even a hint of anything (or anyone) else. It's working for them, and that's all that matters. Their kids look happy too. Look when Sophie came into BP on her bike trip from Balmoral; the whole family was hugging.

I think that Edward and Sophie do live a normal life – but the Royal version of 'normal life' – they're never going to live in a 3 bedroom house with one toilet like most of (in NZ)

:p

I also think they have a happy marriage; body language, eye contact, they seem very contented. Not even a hint of anything (or anyone) else. It's working for them, and that's all that matters. Their kids look happy too. Look when Sophie came into BP on her bike trip from Balmoral; the whole family was hugging.

Agree 100%. :flowers: Even body-language experts made a point of indicating how in love and in-sync they two were during their engagement interview. Their marriage vows were lovely to watch.

What distinguishes them as individuals and as a couple is that as career people they worked in PR and are adept professionally in that way. It makes a difference. They also lived together a long time before marriage and were a mature couple when they finally married. They have never shown nervousness around each other, and that makes sense for a whole raft of reasons.

As for Sophie's friendship with The Queen, it's been mentioned how traumatic Sophie's pregnancy history has been. There would have been caring stemming from just that alone from the Queen. Add that Edward is The Queen's youngest son and there would naturally be a connection via that. In all a normal, natural family imo. No need to see falsity. JMO.

That's not my impression, and it certainly wasn't when they were first married. They've been married for 18 years this summer, and so it's normal that they aren't all lovey-dovey in public. They have the only successful first marriage among Edward's siblings.
Exactly - 18 years of marriage plus 6 years of a relationship and you get 24 years together so they aren't going to be all over each other in public. They have never been an overly affectionate couple in public, just like the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have never been.

:p
Agree 100%. :flowers: Even body-language experts made a point of indicating how in love and in-sync they two were during their engagement interview. Their marriage vows were lovely to watch.

What distinguishes them as individuals and as a couple is that as career people they worked in PR and are adept professionally in that way. It makes a difference. They also lived together a long time before marriage and were a mature couple when they finally married. They have never shown nervousness around each other, and that makes sense for a whole raft of reasons.

As for Sophie's friendship with The Queen, it's been mentioned how traumatic Sophie's pregnancy history has been. There would have been caring stemming from just that alone from the Queen. Add that Edward is The Queen's youngest son and there would naturally be a connection via that. In all a normal, natural family imo. No need to see falsity. JMO.

I agree with all of this. I think their (mainly Sophie) professional careers have helped their ability to work in the public eye. Sophie was a PR expert thus she knows how to work the camera and understands what looks good. That isn't her fault - she just knows what to do and say to hit the right note. Whether it's genuine or not doesn't matter as the people she meets love her and are thrilled to have been hugged/shaken hands/conversed with her about something that matters to them. That's what Diana did so well and the previous royals were uncomfortable with.

As Lady Nimue said, they knew each other so well before marriage that it didn't allow for nervousness around one another. They work off each other so well when on joint engagements, which they unfortunately don't often do. I enjoy it when they work together as Edward always seems more relaxed when Sophie is there which is lovely to see. Sophie has definitely helped Edward's image and their body language, eye contact etc. in public highlights how well they know one another and care for one another.

I for one would be very shocked/saddened to hear if they ever divorced as it would be completely unexpected. With the Queen's previous children's divorces there were hints of other people involved and unhappiness, whereas with Edward and Sophie there hasn't even been one articlel mentioning anything.

Due to do all of this I think Edward has definitely succeeded in having a normal a life. Just ask anyone to name their two children and, unless they were royal followers, they would struggle to do so. Andrew's daughters are fairly well known as are William and Harry for obvious reasons. Edward's family is very unknown which has worked in their favour. Some people don't even realise the Queen has a 4th child.

Last edited:
I do Why bring this up in this thread? Because I do think Sophie has helped it appear Ed (and her) live a normal life but I'm not sure its all 100% as normal as it is made out to be. Wasn't it once said that when Edward arrived for military training or a weekend away and asked why his bag was so heavy he replied he had no idea as his valet had packed it.
I'm surprised that Edward has a valet.

Didn't Edward live with his parents at their homes at that time? Probably one of the Palace footmen valeted him and packed his bag.

I don't think Edward has one now. The Wessexes, like the rest of the Queen's children bar Charles, have few staff, comparatively speaking, to what people of their status would have had even thirty years ago.

Weren't there some articles in the press a couple of years ago about the Wessexes' male cook having a change of career and trying out as Sophie's dresser?

I remember that quote by Edward about his valet packing his bag printed in tabloid sheet and also remember it being proved as "just a joke" when reporter was later quizzed about it by another reporter. I guess even back then tabloids were printing false garbage just to get their names as by-line. Reason now-a-days I really find articles on any subject not believed 100% [unless said directly into camera]. Odd world out there.

Back
Top Bottom