Christening of Viscount Severn at Windsor: April 19, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone think that it was selfish of Prince Charles and Camilla not to turn up?

Does anyone think that it was selfish of Prince Charles and Camilla not to turn up?

I think it's incredibly strange they weren't there. But did they have a good reason for turning up? Otherwise, I definitely think it was selfish, you should never miss such an important family event in my opinion!

I think it's incredibly strange they weren't there. But did they have a good reason for turning up? Otherwise, I definitely think it was selfish, you should never miss such an important family event in my opinion!
Apprently they didn't want leave where ever it is they are staying at.

I'm sorry to say that I don't think that anything of Edward and Sophie's is important to Charles and Camilla. Or the younger royals either. They never attended Louise's christening either.

Prince Charles must know that there is a perceived rift between him and Edward. By not attending the christening, it just reinforces this view.

Maybe Sophie can't stand Camilla and vice versa, I'm just sayin'.....:whistling:

Prince Charles must know that there is a perceived rift between him and Edward. By not attending the christening, it just reinforces this view.
I don't really think its that. its just Edward and Charles are both well aware of their position and station in life and the family. Edward knows very well that he is comes very low down in the Queen's and Charles' priorities. He accepts its. I remember an interview with him when he was in New Zealand if he felt slighted that no member of his family had come to his graduation. Edward replied that his parents and siblings had more important things and that his parents tried to be there for the special occasion but usually made it up to him if they missed it. Edward understands that it is more important for the Queen to be more visable in the lives of Prince Charles, William and Harry then in his, he is just not as important for the crown and the monarchy. It is something he has accepted for the long time.

I don't really think its that. its just Edward and Charles are both well aware of their position and station in life and the family. Edward knows very well that he is comes very low down in the Queen's and Charles' priorities. He accepts its. I remember an interview with him when he was in New Zealand if he felt slighted that no member of his family had come to his graduation. Edward replied that his parents and siblings had more important things and that his parents tried to be there for the special occasion but usually made it up to him if they missed it. Edward understands that it is more important for the Queen to be more visable in the lives of Prince Charles, William and Harry then in his, he is just not as important for the crown and the monarchy. It is something he has accepted for the long time.

wow, maybe it's just me, but that sounds very depressing to me. Sure the Queens job is important, but why is it more important to be more visible in the lives of Charles William, and Hary then in his? Towards the press maybe, but in private?? Come on, he is their son even if he is very low in line to the thrown. How can he just accept that he is not a priority in the life of his own brother :bang:

It does sound depressing, no wonder he wants a private life. I can't blame him

As for the picture-- I love it! It's a wonderful photo. I would have liked to see a more formal one, but this one is just beautiful. I don't think it can be beat.

That's sad what he said.
He know that he has a family and they know that he is but almost nothing more.
For parents all children should be important no matter if one of them is a future ruler or no or is seroiously sick. This child needs more cerful than other but don't forget about the others. I know that BRF if different than others in many aspects...
Ed's siblings should attend. They're family.

They look so happy.
Pity not to see Louise with the rest of her family.

Last edited:
The picture released is wonderful. It is sad that we can not see the other pictures. At the same time, I respect the wish of Count and Countess of Wessex to keep the ceremony private. Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall should have attended the christening. I for one think that it was impolite to snub a close relative, especially when Her Majesty and Duke of Edinburg did attend.

Since Charles is almost 16 years Edward´s senior it´s obvious that they never must have been very close. Other with Anne and Andrew: Andrew was from his age next to him and Anne was IMO a kind of mother for him and also for Andrew.

It is difficult to know the exact workings in any extended family. I wouldn't rush to say not being at the christening was a snub by any particular member. It is obvious that Edward and Sopie want their children to grow up out of the royal limelight. That is why they have ignored what is their right - i.e. having the titles HRH Prince(ss) - and why they have had such small christenings. The godparents are also people who are not known to the wider world, and there has been no large picture with them and the Queen, etc. Perhaps it was all agreed amicably that it would be small.

I think James looks a lovely healthy baby - nothing wrong with his eyes. I hadn't seen the picture of Louise at the window. She has what I think used to be called a 'lazy' eye when she was young - but in that picture it looked okay. It is something that children grow out of, and is possibly more common in premature babies. It is a shame that the one picture didn't include her as well, but it is very much in keeping with the Wessex's wish to keep them out of the public eye.

They will all be at Windsor very soon for Peter's wedding.....I've got to hope Lady Louise will be a flower girl....

That was a lovely picture! James is cute and I think he looks like Prince Edward. It's too bad Lady Louise was not in the picture.

I don't understand why Charles and Camilla were not there, it doesn't seem they had a good reason not to be. Maybe there really is still a rift between Charles and Edward. If there was it wouldn't surprise me if Charles didn't attend, he always seems somewhat self-centred to me.

I didn't know none of Edward's family members attended his graduation! He sounds accepting of it, but it must be quite frustrating to be a youngest son in the royal family sometimes. Good for Edward for being pragmatic about it and not complaining.

Baby James is a very cute little boy and looks very healthy!

... That is why they have ignored what is their right - i.e. having the titles HRH Prince(ss) - and why they have had such small christenings. The godparents are also people who are not known to the wider world, and there has been no large picture with them and the Queen, etc. Perhaps it was all agreed amicably that it would be small.

I thought it was because they were trimming down the HRH titles. ?

I think it's absurd to assume Charles and Camilla did not attend out of some sort of spite towards Edward and Sophie. We don't know this. We don't know these people at all. For all we know Charles and Camilla may not have been invited or Edward may have understood C&C have other obligations and insisted they not change their plans. I think people are drudging up drama where there probably is none.

Come on, he is their son even if he is very low in line to the thrown. How can he just accept that he is not a priority in the life of his own brother
You got to remember she is Queen befire wife and mother. Her job is to country and that includes preparing the heirs for the job. Of course William and Harry are more important, did you see the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh attend peter Philip's graduation. No, the press didn't make an outcry either.

I think it's absurd to assume Charles and Camilla did not attend out of some sort of spite towards Edward and Sophie. We don't know this. We don't know these people at all. For all we know Charles and Camilla may not have been invited or Edward may have understood C&C have other obligations and insisted they not change their plans.
I think the situation was made worse by the fact that Andrew cancelled his arrangement to attend Colin Montgamery's wedding to attend.

I think it's absurd to assume Charles and Camilla did not attend out of some sort of spite towards Edward and Sophie. We don't know this. We don't know these people at all. For all we know Charles and Camilla may not have been invited or Edward may have understood C&C have other obligations and insisted they not change their plans. I think people are drudging up drama where there probably is none.

My understanding, from published reports, is that Charles and Camilla were vacationing at Birkhall. Not sure if that qualifies as 'other obligations'....even if one takes vacationing very seriously.:D

Come on, he is their son even if he is very low in line to the thrown. How can he just accept that he is not a priority in the life of his own brother :bang:

They did not attend any of Charles's graduation or visit him when he was in Australia as an exchange student either. i doubt they had attended any of their children's graduations.

I am sorry, but that strikes me as incredibly sad! I realize the need for a pecking order officially, but in private among family there should be NONE. The birth of Viscount Severn is a big deal for a couple of reasons....he is the first male grandchild born to HM since Prince Harry in 1984, not to mention that his existence is somewhat of a miracle considering all the suffering that Sophie and Edward went through to have him(and little Louise) Charles and Camilla were at Birkhall, it would not have killed them to show up.

I think it was rude of them personally.

On a happier note little James is a huge, beautiful robust looking baby. Sophie and Edward couldn't look more happy.

I think it is interesting that Sophie and Edward think that their children will have no roles within the Royal Family given that the Dukes of Kent, Gloucester are cousins of the Queen and are involved in the Royal Family, Also, Andrew has made certain his children are going to be involved--I'm sure they'll be involved, but I suppose that Sophie and Edward just want a more private lifestyle. Of course, James will be the Duke of Edinburg which is a royal title....

Its important to note that the Dukes of Kent, Gloucester,etc had a more prominent role during the the early part of the century until the 70's because for intents and purposes the royal family was smaller at that time. In the 60's for example it was just the Queen, the Duke, the Queen Mother, Princess Margaret, Marina, Duchess of Kent, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester (Harry and Alice) and Princess Alexandra and that was it (through in Princess Alice, Countess of Althone for good measure). Also, royalty played more of a role in the day to day life, (i.e. a royal was almost always a sponsor or patron of a charity) nowadays a celebrity might serve to draw interest to a particular charity. And finally, the costs of the royal family. But I am thinking that Sophie and Edward saw what the press has down to Charles/Diana and Camilla and and Harry/William and simply don't want that for theirs.

And finally (to get back on subject), what a great picture! Sophie, Edward and baby James look adorable.

I think in the daily mail article it says Lady Louise kisses and cuddles her baby brother all the time.

Looks like baby James has a good big sister looking out for him.

I think it was rude of them personally.

What do we know about other people? Camilla ist 60 and last year had an operation which ended the topic of becoming a mother once and for all. Maybe she and Charles had longed for their own little girl for decades and it was impossible. So there could be an emotionally understandible reason why he didn't attend the christening of his brother's surprise son. I don't say this reason exists, only that we simply don't know why they didn't attend. Maybe they have engagements in Scotland this week and didn't want to fly down for a christening and back-up again?

From the Court Circular:

18th April, 2008
The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay, Royal Colonel, 51st Highland, 7th Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland, this morning received Colonel Colin Campbell upon relinquishing his appointment as Commanding Officer

That's from Charles' website, the Diary:

Monday 21st April 2008
The Duke and Duchess of Rothesay will open the new Queen Mother Memorial Gates at Glamis Castle, Angus.

So it seems Charles did not only spent the weekend in Scotland but the days before and after as well.:flowers:

Last edited:
Maybe Sophie can't stand Camilla and vice versa, I'm just sayin'.....:whistling:
The pictures of Camilla and Sophie at Royal Ascot would refute that though, don't you think. :rolleyes:
--------------------
It seems to me that some people are making a mountain out of a molehill. Charles and Camilla were in Scotland, they had engagements booked before and after the christening, long before any date for the christening was set, so why did Edward choose to slight his brother by arranging it when he knew they were going to be busy ........:lol: Can you imagine the headline if Charles and Camilla flew back from Scotland just to attend a christening ceremony.

What do we know about other people?
No disrespect, but you don't SERIOUSLY believe that Camilla still entertained the idea of having another baby as recently as a few years ago do you? Her hysterectomy was at the age of 60. Women don't NORMALLY have babies at that age and I doubt very much Camilla fancied more children, reading and hearing all the things about her that I have. The idea that after she married the Prince of Wales she hoped to have a child is farfetched at best and absurd at worst.

She has two healthy children and grandchildren. She has achieved her longtime goal of marriage to the Prince of Wales. She should count herself as very blessed indeed!

I still say it was a little unkind of them not to be there for Edward and Sophie.

Last edited by a moderator:
No disrespect, but you don't SERIOUSLY believe that Camilla still entertained the idea of having another baby as recently as a few years ago do you?
I just wanted to point out that you don't know Charles and Camilla and so don't know about your motives. To call their not being present "rude" means that you believe you know their motive and are able to judge it.

What I pointed out was just one potential explanation. It has a plausibility to it, because I connected three things that are actually known.

1) Charles and Camilla did not attend the christening.
2.) Camilla had a hysterectomy.
3.) There are psychological problems that can be caused by a hysterectomy which make attending a christening hurtful for the sufferer.
At least that's what it is said here: Khastgir G, Studd JW, Catalan J. The psychological outcome of hysterectomy. Published: Gynecol Endocrinol . 2000;14:132-141. And here: Wright JB, Gannon MJ, Greenberg M. Osychological aspects of heavy periods: does endometrial ablation provide the answer? Br J Hosp Med. 1996;55:289-294. A quote: "Other factors that have been associated with increased risk of emotional distress posthysterectomy include loss of childbearing capacity, adverse effects on a woman's self-image, social disruption due to a long recovery time, and history of inadequately dealing with loss."

So what I did was taking three facts and used them to form an idea why Charles and Camilla did not attend. Of course it is far fetched and, as I said, I don't think it's the truth. But it could be a possibility and for me it is "In Dubio Pro Reo" when I don't know the facts. - meaning that I don't want to judge as long as I don't have more input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom