York Family News and Pictures 2: Sep 2015 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see what the big deal is. Given the severity of the current coronavirus outbreak, it is perfectly reasonable that the topic would arise in conversation with the Chinese ambassador and that Prince Andrew would unofficially mention her mother's concern about the situation in China. I am also pretty sure the Chinese greatly appreciated that and that Prince Andrew's intervention helped to improve relations between China and the UK.

Of course. :previous: Tempest in a teapot.

I don't see what the big deal is. Given the severity of the current coronavirus outbreak, it is perfectly reasonable that the topic would arise in conversation with the Chinese ambassador and that Prince Andrew would unofficially mention her mother's concern about the situation in China. I am also pretty sure the Chinese greatly appreciated that and that Prince Andrew's intervention helped to improve relations between China and the UK.

Of course. :previous: Tempest in a teapot.
It appears the Chinese ambassador has criticized the U.K. government re: the epidemic, see, eg: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-says-uk-overreacting-with-coronavirus-advice, my point is that Andrew provided additional ammunition to the ambassador. In the scheme of things NBD, but still unfortunate, particularly since the Queen is so very careful in making statements, and steps will need to be taken to assure that Andrew doesn’t create more issues going forward IMO.

I would imagine that members of the BRF (working or not) would have to clear it with the FCO before accepting an invitation from a foreign ambassador. The potential for a diplomatic 'difficulty' is huge, particularly if the invitees are tactless, ego-driven & loose lipped.

At the time, I believe the Foreign Secretary was out of the country, so that is one potential loophole that allowed this. We also have what is perceived to be a cabinet in flux, namely the various ministers' special advisors, many of whom may get the chop this week if the traditional broadsheet newspapers are to be believed. So maybe no one was minding the shop?

The ambassador may have invited the Yorks, but the Yorks should have declined rather than freelance at such a sensitive time in the UK-China relationship. Coronavirus and Huawei topics are well beyond the diplomatic abilities of these four guests of the Chinese ambassador.

Andrew wouldn't decline an invitation, if he knew people there. If this was a private event
the Chinese should have kept it that way and not said anything.

Andrew wouldn't decline an invitation, if he knew people there. If this was a private event
the Chinese should have kept it that way and not said anything.
Unless the Chinese ambassador signed a do not disclose agreement he was under no obligation to not speak. I seriously doubt that the Yorks and the ambassadorial couple were personal friends having an intimate dinner.
For years I worked in an office run by an elected official. Occasionally my office would be getting press for various topics and it’s just common sense when attending events - public, semi private, or private, to not comment on things currently in the press that I was not authorized to comment on. At a minimum I would preface my remarks w/ I can’t speak for my elected official boss or my office, but my personal thoughts are. Personally I found it far easier to keep my personal thoughts to myself because IME, even when commenting, the listener has a tendency to hear what they want to hear and the press has a tendency to misquote you or to take a comment out of context and make it mean something entirely different than what you intended. The Yorks have been in the public eye long enough and Andrew in a public quasi official position long enough that they and especially he, should know to politely refrain from opining about such things, particularly when the topic was already the subject of controversy between the countries involved and getting press coverage.

I can't believe she's 30. Where has the ^&* time gone?? :eek:

This is a good way to distribute packages to those who really deserve it. The Yorks have long been generous to charities and have contacts and means of managing the task.
I like seeing their busy assembly line and them in work clothes.

The Royal connection also gives a big shout out to NHS workers.

It's great that the Yorks are doing this - Eugenie has mentioned the NHS in an Instagram post, too, IIRC.

Great work. By the way, Sarah, makeup is our friend. :D

Possibly because whilst they aren't remarried they're both free to conduct their lives as they please somewhat below the radar. Andrew has been pictured with a number of young women on yachts and there are accounts of others (over 18), Sarah has been pictured with other men over the years and no one's really questioned it except recently. They're free to do whatever suits them apart and together.

Sarah doesn't have to do official duties (pre Andrew's forced retirement) and be an official member, which didn't exactly suit her. She's free to do what she wants (within a lot of reason) on that score too.

Then there are the rumours that Philip and others have officially said (literally) "over my dead body" although obviously that's not confirmed.

Possibly because whilst they aren't remarried they're both free to conduct their lives as they please somewhat below the radar. Andrew has been pictured with a number of young women on yachts and there are accounts of others (over 18), Sarah has been pictured with other men over the years and no one's really questioned it except recently. They're free to do whatever suits them apart and together.

Sarah doesn't have to do official duties (pre Andrew's forced retirement) and be an official member, which didn't exactly suit her. She's free to do what she wants (within a lot of reason) on that score too.

Then there are the rumours that Philip and others have officially said (literally) "over my dead body" although obviously that's not confirmed.

It was mostly a rhetorical question; though it will be interesting to see whether there will be a remarriage once the Duke's parents are gone. Especially since Andrew is no longer in an official royal role, such role would no longer be expected of Sarah - and she can continue her charity engagements she already undertakes.

While I believe the Duke and Duchess of York have developed a more of a brother/sister bond at this point in their lives more than a romantic one, I believe it would be pointless for anyone to try to come between them in an outside relationship.

They appear to have an us-against-them siege mentality and are tightly bound together ...for ever.:ermm: They understand and accept one another completely.

It was mostly a rhetorical question; though it will be interesting to see whether there will be a remarriage once the Duke's parents are gone. Especially since Andrew is no longer in an official royal role, such role would no longer be expected of Sarah - and she can continue her charity engagements she already undertakes.

Charles does not hold them in great favor and may possibly shunt them out of Royal Lodge if their funds dwindle and they cannot afford staff and upkeep.

Marina Mowatt has a tidy place on the Windsor estate, they can do something like that.

Charles does not hold them in great favor and may possibly shunt them out of Royal Lodge if their funds dwindle and they cannot afford staff and upkeep.

Marina Mowatt has a tidy place on the Windsor estate, they can do something like that.

Charles has no control over his residence. Royal Lodge is owned by the crown estate, and has been leased to Andrew. Andrew may have to clean his own floors or such if he cant cover servants cost (I highly doubt that would happen) but his lease is secure. Because of the money he spent on renovations, he doesn't pay an annual rent for the lease (which is 75 year lease). If he chose to move out before 2029 (25 years into his lease) he would get some of the money he paid into it back.

The property also comes with some cottages and out buildings. If he was short for money he could do as Edward does, and rent out some of those buildings. Edward pays very little of his annual rent on his home, as they rent out their outer buildings to a company. Andrew could and would likely do much the same if he isn't already.

Not surprised. I knew that HMQ would pay off the debt from the beginning.

Does this mean she now owns the chalet? If so, I hope she turns it over to Beatrice and Eugenie.:ermm:

ETA: The article refutes the statement that the queen is settling the debt.

Last edited:
I thought Fergie and Andrew owned a chalet in Switzerland together. How many houses do they own? Anyone know?

Other than the chalet in the news recently, Andrew and Fergie own no homes at all I'm aware of. Andrew resides at Royal Lodge in Windsor but that's owned by the Crown Estates. Andrew has a long term lease there of 75 years as Countessmeout has posted a few posts back.

I thought Fergie and Andrew owned a chalet in Switzerland together. How many houses do they own? Anyone know?

The chalet is the one that is about to be paid off 'by the Queen' if you believe the headlines for via sale if you read the articles.

They own no homes at all.

Sarah was given some money, as part of her divorce settlement to buy a home, but no home has ever been bought. I have no idea what has happened to that money but in the normal course of events it can't be spent on anything else other than what it was given to the spouse for ....

When Andrew took over Royal Lodge, after the Queen Mother's death, he paid a 75 year lease but I am sure I have read that he extended that to 99 years - about the same time that Edward paid the 99 year lease on Bagshot. Andrew got a lower rate of lease because he paid for the refurbishment himself, rather than have the Crown Estate pay for it.

York Family News and Pictures 2: September 2015

Your comment is odd considering there’s a denial of this being true, in the article.

“But a spokesman for Andrew denied the Queen's involvement in the chalet debt last night, saying: 'The Queen will not be stepping in to settle the debt.”

Daily Mail articles are good for fish and chips.

It always amazes me how the DM and DE get away with writing one thing in the headlines and contradicts the headlines in the article (and so many people only read the headlines and so get the wrong information).

Your comment is odd considering there’s a denial of this being true, in the article.

“But a spokesman for Andrew denied the Queen's involvement in the chalet debt last night, saying: 'The Queen will not be stepping in to settle the debt.”

Daily Mail articles are good for fish and chips.
Sorry. 75% of the article reiterates that the Queen is settling the debt. It is only at the end of the article that says otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom