York Family News and Pictures 2: Sep 2015 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe I've read that Beatrice was involved with her father's Pitch@Palace and perhaps was on the board for that organization. If I'm not mistaken though, it'll be Andrew's private secretary, Amanda Thirsk that will head up the Pitch@Palace scheme now.

As Beatrice is not a working royal for the "Firm", I don't see her taking on any of the organizations and patronages that Andrew held in relation to his official royal roles in the "Firm". What will happen to those is anyone's guess at this point.

Beatrice has attended many events for pitch even traveling abroad with her father for it. Though amanda may head it, woukd not be shocked if Beatrice continued to be involved.

Beatrice is already patron of the Royal ballet school. It would be a sensible transition for her to take her father's patronage with the ballet.

With Harry and Meghan gone, I think the royals may be a bit more open to Bea taking on some if her father's patronages. In at least part time role.

The Duke of York, Sarah, Duchess of York, Princess Beatrice and her fiance Edoardo were invited by the Chinese Ambassador to the UK to celebrate Lunar New Year.

The Duke of York brought a message of support for China from HM The Queen in relation to the ongoing coronavirus.

:previous: Sounds like quite an honor for the Yorks...:whistling:

Why is the palace being weird about this engagement or private visit or whatever it was. ITV's Chris Ship says they refuse to even confirm it took place and won't confirm any statement the Queen allegedly said. Very strange.

Why is the palace being weird about this engagement or private visit or whatever it was. ITV's Chris Ship says they refuse to even confirm it took place and won't confirm any statement the Queen allegedly said. Very strange.

Perhaps because the meeting never went through official channels. Why would The Queen send Andrew to give a message to the ambassador during a dinner for lunar new year, which was attended by his ex-wife, daughter and fiancé?

Again, another member of the royal family has put the Buckingham Palace PR and The Queen on the back foot.

Andrew should have made it clear because the Chinese Ambassador for the UK tweeting this out while the palace is all but dismissing it is a very bizarre look.

Andrew should have made it clear because the Chinese Ambassador for the UK tweeting this out while the palace is all but dismissing it is a very bizarre look.

Odd as well that Chinese Lunar New Year was 25th January, this was tweeted out yesterday around midnight and has only just been picked up by the press. The words used in the message of “comfort” are also not in line with what The Queen would say.

The only explanation I can think of, if Andrew truly wasn’t aware, the York’s were invited for dinner and the Chinese Ambassador has simply ran with his own non approved story for the whole thing.

There's just something totally off about this. I smell a rat in the works somewhere along the line. Oh! Waitaminute, its the Year of the Rat. Nevermind. :lol:

I just saw this now...wth? Why in earth would the Queen ask Andrew to give a message of support from her when he’s no longer representing her? I think it’s disgraceful that Andrew went and yet almost as bad that the Ambassador would invite him.

Sounds a lot like prince Laurent visiting the Chines embassy (against strict instructions not to meet/mingle with foreign powers without approval from the government).

Odd as well that Chinese Lunar New Year was 25th January, this was tweeted out yesterday around midnight and has only just been picked up by the press. The words used in the message of “comfort” are also not in line with what The Queen would say.

The only explanation I can think of, if Andrew truly wasn’t aware, the York’s were invited for dinner and the Chinese Ambassador has simply ran with his own non approved story for the whole thing.

Xinhua Chinese News Agency (government sponsored)
Queen Elizabeth expresses sympathy, blessings to China on anti-epidemic fight - Xinhua | English.news.cn
Lumutqueen's explanation sounds about right, the dinner was scheduled on or off the books but it's difficult to know the authorship of the Queen's message. Considering the first source was China and not the UK we are hearing this from the perspective and interpretation of the Chinese; the UK may have been caught off guard.

I added the Chinese News (government sanctioned) website above but I use filters. If anyone is interested in what the Chinese article is saying beyond the Chinese ambassador's tweet and can't bring the website up you might try accessing it directly from your browser or I will post excerpts below.

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth expresses sympathy, blessings to China on anti-epidemic fight - Xinhua | English.news.cn

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II conveyed her condolences to Chinese Ambassador to Britain Liu Xiaoming for China's losses, as well as blessings for the Chinese people's efforts in the fight against the novel coronavirus epidemic, the Chinese embassy in Britain said Friday.

The Queen's message was conveyed by Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, while he and his family attended a celebration for the Chinese New Year at the ambassador's official residence on Thursday.

Prince Andrew said the Queen was very concerned about China's novel coronavirus epidemic and understood that the fight against it is now at a crucial stage.

"At the critical time of fighting the coronavirus, I express my sincere sympathy for the Chinese people, and pray for the speedy control and victory over the virus," the Queen said in her message to Chinese President Xi Jinping and the Chinese people.

The Queen also extended Chinese New Year greetings to Xi and the Chinese people, said the prince.

I just saw this now...wth? Why in earth would the Queen ask Andrew to give a message of support from her when he’s no longer representing her? I think it’s disgraceful that Andrew went and yet almost as bad that the Ambassador would invite him.

Sarah and Beatrice are not wearing dressy enough clothes for the official visit that this is purported to be. Sarah's posture and leg arrangement implies that she has to urinate very soon. Ugh.

HM, The PoW, The Princess Royal, Prince William, the Prime Minister, Dominic Raab when he gets home, these are the people who are appropriate, not a guy who has a giant black cloud over his head, or his wife who no doubt is eyeing the Chinese market with her new line of household products.

I suspect that the Ambassador was bamboozled by the visit.

Here's the back story according to DM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...reveals-Prince-Andrew-representing-Queen.html

China is supposedly not happy with the UK's handling of the coronavirus outbreak. For BP not confirming it looks like this visit should have been off the books. Doesn't the Foreign Office ask members of the royal family step in to interface with foreign ambassadors? Even if the FO did not ask for a royal, this looks like the Windsors are free lancing in a political situation. I also think China is aware of Andrew's mess and what's going on with the BRF and decided to use the Yorks to embarrass the British government. No.10 can't be happy about this.

Sarah and Beatrice are not wearing dressy enough clothes for the official visit that this is purported to be. Sarah's posture and leg arrangement implies that she has to urinate very soon. Ugh.

HM, The PoW, The Princess Royal, Prince William, the Prime Minister, Dominic Raab when he gets home, these are the people who are appropriate, not a guy who has a giant black cloud over his head, or his wife who no doubt is eyeing the Chinese market with her new line of household products.

I suspect that the Ambassador was bamboozled by the visit.

Yes to everything!!:ohmy:

Here's the back story according to DM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...reveals-Prince-Andrew-representing-Queen.html

China is supposedly not happy with the UK's handling of the coronavirus outbreak. For BP not confirming it looks like this visit should have been off the books. Doesn't the Foreign Office ask members of the royal family step in to interface with foreign ambassadors? Even if the FO did not ask for a royal, this looks like the Windsors are free lancing in a political situation. I also think China is aware of Andrew's mess and what's going on with the BRF and decided to use the Yorks to embarrass the British government. No.10 can't be happy about this.
Well, this is kinda starting to make sense kinda.:ermm:

I don't think Prince Andrew should be there at all. If he's a personal friend of the ambassador then it should be a private visit with no publicity. He most certainly should not be delivering a message from HMQ. I hope whoever is responsible for this is held to account & steps are taken to ensure something like this doesn't happen again.

I don't think Prince Andrew should be there at all. If he's a personal friend of the ambassador then it should be a private visit with no publicity. He most certainly should not be delivering a message from HMQ. I hope whoever is responsible for this is held to account & steps are taken to ensure something like this doesn't happen again.

I agree. Well first, if I’m the Queen, I make sure the Ambassador knows what a big screw up this was - and I’m sure she knows how to get her point across. He can sit near the kitchen at the next State dinner, lol - or maybe not be invited at all. Then she needs to have a nice, long talk with Andrew - favorite son or not, I kind of wish she’d blow up at him (and Sarah, while she’s at it). Does Andrew still have a private secretary ? Would HM’s own courtiers have been aware of this? If the answer is yes to any of these questions, she needs to take them to task...maybe reassign then or fire them. I know that sounds drastic, but this looks so bad, and people have to understand that there will be consequences for making monumentally stupid decisions

As far as publicity, none of the Yorks said anything. This was all the Chinese ambassador,... and I think he used the Yorks.

Express - Andrew was there for a private visit to the Chinese ambassador and not speaking for the queen

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ex...een-elizabeth-ii-china-ambassador-meeting/amp

I thought in times of a nation's crisis the queen would offer condolences through official BP communications. Either the ambassador lied in his tweet or Andrew lied to the ambassador to get a meet and greet (and possibly any special goodies). Beatrice and her fiancé look bad for being a part of this meeting (sorry she's an adult now). It's a bad look anyway and the queen (with Charles if necessary) needs to jerk a knot into the Yorks for exposing themselves in this political mess.

Last edited:
As far as publicity, none of the Yorks said anything. This was all the Chinese ambassador,... and I think he used the Yorks.

Couldn’t agree more, this to me is quite clear just from The Queen offering condolences for the virus and “victory” in defeating it? Did she do so for the Ebola Epidemic, or SARS for instance? I don’t think so.

Express - Andrew was there for a private visit to the Chinese ambassador and not speaking for the queen

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ex...een-elizabeth-ii-china-ambassador-meeting/amp

I thought in times of a nation's crisis the queen would offer condolences through official BP communications. Either the ambassador lied in his tweet or Andrew lied to the ambassador to get a meet and greet (and possibly any special goodies). Beatrice and her fiancé look bad for being a part of this meeting (sorry she's an adult now). It's a bad look anyway and the queen (with Charles if necessary) needs to jerk a knot into the Yorks for exposing themselves in this political mess.
How does one look bad for accepting a dinner invitation, that would cause offense if not accepted?
And if Andrew did offer condolences on the coronavirus, that would seem to be a social nicety. Maybe he said exactly what the ambassador tweeted, maybe he didn’t.

How does one look bad for accepting a dinner invitation, that would cause offense if not accepted?
And if Andrew did offer condolences on the coronavirus, that would seem to be a social nicety. Maybe he said exactly what the ambassador tweeted, maybe he didn’t.

Would it cause offense and, even if it did, that would be the ambassador’s fault. He either doesn’t know about Andrew’ problems and being “fired” - which I find hard to believe- or he doesn’t care. Either case is inexcusable.

I know Andrew is clueless, but I’m not sure that he would actually speak for his mummy, who has supported him as best she could (as a son), when he knows that he hasn’t the right and that it would cause problems if it got out.

I’m really angry at the Ambassador.

Thanks! And then in other threads people keep crying out about poor Bea&Edo.
Maybe a sign they will ignore all issues and be as arrogant as Andrew, maybe just as stupid, heaven knows.
To some if us it seems rather stupid to cause more trouble as if there was't enough at the moment, but who knows why they went, the Yorks know well how to make money ;-)

I would imagine that members of the BRF (working or not) would have to clear it with the FCO before accepting an invitation from a foreign ambassador. The potential for a diplomatic 'difficulty' is huge, particularly if the invitees are tactless, ego-driven & loose lipped.

Would it cause offense and, even if it did, that would be the ambassador’s fault. He either doesn’t know about Andrew’ problems and being “fired” - which I find hard to believe- or he doesn’t care. Either case is inexcusable.

I know Andrew is clueless, but I’m not sure that he would actually speak for his mummy, who has supported him as best she could (as a son), when he knows that he hasn’t the right and that it would cause problems if it got out.

I’m really angry at the Ambassador.
It’s very simple to decline the invitation. Andrew chose not to, most likely because he sees China as a future money making opportunity. Even once he accepted, why pose for those photos, like it was an official occasion if it wasn’t? Once at the dinner he could have chosen to not speak about the virus, or said something noncommittal, but he has a history of putting his foot in his mouth, not just the debacle of the interview he gave on Epstein, but going back years, for example - https://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/29/wikileaks.prince.andrew/index.html. Finally, when he chose to speak he could have not thrown his mother into the conversation - but I’m sure he did, his access to her is all that opens doors for him (and his ex) these days.
In typical Andrew fashion he’s charged ahead like a bull in a China shop, interfering with his own government’s diplomacy regarding China’s handling of a public health crisis.
I don’t blame the Chinese diplomat, it’s not his job to understand the nuances of the RF, rather he’s scored a coup in his own country by reporting that the Queen has confidence in China’s ‘victory’ in handling the crisis.
IMO it’s up to the Queen and the U.K. government to control the lose cannon that is Andrew. Perhaps this incident will spur them to do so.
What I don’t know is whether the Queen even knew about this visit. But I do find the lack of a denial that Andrew said the things attributed to him very telling.
I would imagine that members of the BRF (working or not) would have to clear it with the FCO before accepting an invitation from a foreign ambassador. The potential for a diplomatic 'difficulty' is huge, particularly if the invitees are tactless, ego-driven & loose lipped.
Well, if they didn’t have to clear it before, I’m guessing they will now.

With the current consequences for not playing by the BRF being even more dire than his current situation, I believe if Andrew went it was with HM approval. It is possible the Ambassador knoes him from his official British Trade days.

As to HM sending a perfectly understandable message to China at such a terrible time, it is common decency and given the severity of the situation it would be a given that the PM was in the loop.

Andrew has been around long enough not to make such a 'rookie' mistake.

It’s very simple to decline the invitation. Andrew chose not to, most likely because he sees China as a future money making opportunity. Even once he accepted, why pose for those photos, like it was an official occasion if it wasn’t? Once at the dinner he could have chosen to not speak about the virus, or said something noncommittal, but he has a history of putting his foot in his mouth, not just the debacle of the interview he gave on Epstein, but going back years, for example - https://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/29/wikileaks.prince.andrew/index.html. Finally, when he chose to speak he could have not thrown his mother into the conversation - but I’m sure he did, his access to her is all that opens doors for him (and his ex) these days.

In typical Andrew fashion he’s charged ahead like a bull in a China shop, interfering with his own government’s diplomacy regarding China’s handling of a public health crisis.

I don’t blame the Chinese diplomat, it’s not his job to understand the nuances of the RF, rather he’s scored a coup in his own country by reporting that the Queen has confidence in China’s ‘victory’ in handling the crisis.

Except we don’t know any of what you’re assuming from a picture and a statement is the truth.

Andrew, and his family, because if you’re looking to chat business why would you bring your ex wife, daughter and her fiancée along? Were invited by the Chinese Ambassador to the U.K. to celebrate Lunar New Year. It actually is the ambassadors job to know the nuances of the RF because he’s not a typical diplomat. Why decline an invitation for what appears to be a harmless family celebration?

Whether Andrew mentioned the virus at dinner is of no concern, it’s frankly a hot topic of conversation for everybody at the minute considering how fast it’s spreading. However what hasn’t happened is an official statement from BP about the virus, a statement that never happened when similar virus epidemics were on going. So from that we can infer, the message Andrew is reported to have given, actually never happened because The Queen has not previously commented on such issues.

What should happen now, is a denial of some kind from BP to confirm or deny this message that was announced by the Chinese Ambassador. His country is getting a lot of negative press right now, and he could have quite easily thought I’m in with a chance to turn the tide here.

No official visit or commerce meetings. Nothing to get feathers ruffled by.

Embassies often host parties through the year. Lunar new year is a major event and no surprise the embassy had a party. Andrew and the others simply received a private invitation to attend a party. There were likely many people in their circle attending such an event.

If the photo were just of Beatrice and Edo I don't think anyone would blink. It would automatically be assumed it was private. As they are private citizens.

One reassurance people could have is Andrew no longer has official role. No one can worry he was invited to get some influence over him for trade. Days are done for that.

If he was hoping for personal business, he wouldn't be there at a huge party. Or with his family. It would be private meetings.

I don't see what the big deal is. Given the severity of the current coronavirus outbreak, it is perfectly reasonable that the topic would arise in conversation with the Chinese ambassador and that Prince Andrew would unofficially mention her mother's concern about the situation in China. I am also pretty sure the Chinese greatly appreciated that and that Prince Andrew's intervention helped to improve relations between China and the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom