What is your opinion about Sarah, Duchess of York?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic article--

Ouch! Although, I can't say that my opinon of Sarah is all that steallar either. Just when you think she's managed to get herself out of the media, up she pops again. And not always, and most often not, in the most respectful of ways.

I think that Sarah was a little to eager to impress. If she had been herself and not tried to be like Diana, then I'm sure she would have been more popular but instead she was slightly cringe-making. I think that now, she's got a better idea of what life in the RF is like and I think she'd be a good Royal but sadly she's been too friendly with the media to ever be allowed back in as a wife.
never be polite to the devil it wil only call again

I read this article today and found it very interesting. It made me laugh when she said that Marie Antoinette said "let them eat cake" (really brioche if she ever said this at all) whereas Sarah said "let them eat cabbage". She didn´t really say this but the sense of what she said boiled down to that.....
Oh dear, boiled cabbage!
i am a chef and boiled cabbage if done properly is gorgeous but then my family is Irish:wub: Do it right they love it ,everyone, miss by fraction you will be cursed:ohmy: maybe that is what you were trying to say. the expectation upon a person is reflective of the reaction. I never felt that Sarah understood the British expectation of royalty but attempted in her own way to live up to them. She has kept mum about the details of her life then to a unbelievable degree. Those who think she is a money hungry bitch how much could she have got giving the dirt??????? She dropped the HRH without the court or queens decree and moved her life outside the UK . Play the hand you are given or leave the game!!!!!!!!!! She has played the only cards she had and god love her has played them well. If she had whimpered off to bankruptcy it would have suited the tabloids better!!!!!!!!!! Could anyone out there have done it better given her situation?????????? Speak up people but remember WE ARE ALL GENERALS AFTER THE BATTLE.

Don't quote me, I was just saying that, from what I know/have learned about pieces of jewelry (for which I believe a tiara qualifies) being given to titled persons on occasions such as marriages and births, they are usually given to the title rather than the individual person. Now if HM gave that tiara as a personal gift to Sarah then it would be Sarah's regardless of what became of her marriage to the Duke of York. And she could do with it as she pleased; pass it on to one of her daughters, give it away, sell it. I guess the question is How was the tiara given to Sarah?
legally if the tiara was given to Sarah Duchess of York it is hers. IF it was given to the Duchess of York it is owned by the title itself. that is the legal opinion at least of a QC. It may be yet tested in court.:bang:

legally if the tiara was given to Sarah Duchess of York it is hers. IF it was given to the Duchess of York it is owned by the title itself. that is the legal opinion at least of a QC. It may be yet tested in court.:bang:
Isn't that what I was saying???

so the mail article wasn't so much in response to setting right the so called "lies" that sarah told so much as it was their turn to lash out. now that they've all had their say, why don't they all let it go??

I think the Windsor wives (Sarah, Diana and Sophie to a lesser degree) have all lowered the standards of their titles in general and that includes Camilla, imho, even though she's been shoved down the throats of the Brits and the Commonwealth as the great love Prince Charles. I still wonder if they'll make it to King and Queen, though. QEII seems to be plotting for her grandson, William, to succeed her.

As far as Andrew, yes I hope he finds someone who makes him happy and that happiness probably would have to mean that that woman can fit into royal life and be acceptable to his family. Is that so hard? Prince Frederik has done it in Mary and Prince William has shown taste and judgement in at least choosing a girlfriend.
Have these women lowered the standards or changed them??? I Personally dont like several of them but If they change the perception that a person must marry without love I am in favour of their influence.

so the mail article wasn't so much in response to setting right the so called "lies" that sarah told so much as it was their turn to lash out. now that they've all had their say, why don't they all let it go??
Because it sells papers. . . . :whistling:

........ She dropped the HRH without the court or queens decree and moved her life outside the UK .
No, she didn't and continued to use it when she was asked about it on the Ruby Wax show she was involved in.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I thought too, Sky, but I don't have all my books with me here at work so I couldn't be sure. .

On a side note i've just seen some footages of her reality show...really disturbing. Her first words were "Diana was my sister in law and the queen my mother in law"...I don't see the point of doing something like that....

Well, why wouldn't say that? That's why she's famous.

On a side note i've just seen some footages of her reality show...really disturbing. Her first words were "Diana was my sister in law and the queen my mother in law"...I don't see the point of doing something like that....
She was just reminding the rest of us common folk just to make sure we didn't forget or anything.

She was just reminding the rest of us common folk just to make sure we didn't forget or anything.
Quite right--it is her claim to fame/celebrity/respectablility/creedence. It is also quite pretentious. If the Queen is upset at Peter and Autumn selling photos then I'm sure she is anything but happy about hearing Sarah introduce herself that way to people. Capitalizing on a previous association is what it is

That being said, a friend who knows I have this unnatural interest in royalty recently gave me Tina Brown's book "The Diana Chronicles". Now, as I think most posters know, I'm not exactly a Diana-ite :whistling: but the book does discuss Sarah in several different passages. While I do think that Sarah made some truly stupid mistakes, I can see where she must have been very insecure with regard to her role within the Royal Family. She was constantly compared to Diana, but did not have anywhere near the budget that Diana had. I believe Brown states that Diana and Charles had around 3million pounds total yearly at their disposal whereas Andrew had only around 35,000 pounds and Mummy contributed some as well. It does seem that Sarah fit in better with the family, but her fiascos......well, we don't need to go into those again, do we?
I do admire her for getting herself out of debt.

You got me wrongKbear. I love boiled cabbage and I am three quarters Irish, I love potatoes too.
What the oh dear was about was my unintentional pun, when I said it all boiled down to ......
I just found the idea of Sarah telling someone what to eat and how to budget was funny. She has managed to get back on her feet and out of debt by using her previous exalted condition, which incidentally she didn´t seem to appreciate at the time she had it. I am pleased she has managed to pay her debts because a debt means someone else has suffered, the person that hasn´t been paid.

You have such a way with words, Menarue...:flowers: Thoroughly enjoy your posts.

I just found the idea of Sarah telling someone what to eat and how to budget was funny.
As do I. I read her book "Dining with the Duchess" and found out that she really didn't make up ANY of the recipes in the book! She just put her name on it and voila! There it was. And she didn't cook any of it either.
I wonder if she's changed??

I don't think that it was quite intended that way. The wedding was over 20 years ago, long before those kids were born. If their parents are not royalty watchers, it is very likely that most of the family had not heard of her other than for her to explain her former relationship to the royal family. Personally I think she should have introduced herself as a spokesperson for Weight Watchers, but is WW even widely known in Britain?

Sarah seems to have made a wonderful life for herself and I wish her well. I like her a lot. She seems the type that would be the life of the party and people like that are always fun to be around.

Sarah

Overall, I like her. I admire her for getting out of debt. That had to have seemed daunting, along with a broken marriage for any single mother with children, and she was watched by the media for any mistake or scandal.

I was very sad to see her marriage fall apart, as Prince Andrew and Sarah seemed so perfect together, at least, what was shown to the public. I also think it is interesting that neither have married again either.....

I don't think that it was quite intended that way. The wedding was over 20 years ago, long before those kids were born. If their parents are not royalty watchers, it is very likely that most of the family had not heard of her other than for her to explain her former relationship to the royal family. Personally I think she should have introduced herself as a spokesperson for Weight Watchers, but is WW even widely known in Britain?

But couldn't she have introduced herself as the mother of princesses Beatrice and Eugenie? Surely kids of that age have heard about the young Royals?

Sarah seems to have made a wonderful life for herself and I wish her well. I like her a lot. She seems the type that would be the life of the party and people like that are always fun to be around.
But not always 'fun' to live with!:whistling:

Couldn't tell ya if WW is known at all in Britain.
She did peddle that--what was it? Wedgewood china? They would know that. A lot of fine china was and still is made in Britain.

Couldn't tell ya if WW is known at all in Britain.
She did peddle that--what was it? Wedgewood china? They would know that. A lot of fine china was and still is made in Britain.
Weight Watchers is well known in the UK but Sarah is not associated with it. She only seems to be involved with the US version. :flowers: She was/is not involved in the advertising of Wedgewood here either.

I have to agree after the inquest and its revelations about Sarah, the witch woman etc. it would have been best to leave Diana's name out of this. To me it came across as cheap and needy.

I have to agree after the inquest and its revelations about Sarah, the witch woman etc. it would have been best to leave Diana's name out of this. To me it came across as cheap and needy.
These words seem to sum up Sarah in alot of ways.

OUCH! Cheap and needy; you know, I'm not the biggest supporter of Sarah. I think she makes a lot of ill-advised decisions, from her clothing to this self indulgent television program. She puts herself out there too much. She still does trade on her status as a former member of the Royal Family--but had Diana lived would she not do the same to some degree? Maybe not "cash in" like Sarah has, but are you ever truly seperate from your title?
She left the family with 5 million pounds of debt; I know the Queen helped her out a great deal but that is still a huge amount of money. She managed to work herself out of it--yes, cashing in on her title, writing children's books, being a spokesperson for china, candles, and weight watchers--but through it all I can't recall where she has ever said a nasty word about the Queen. Did she make herself a little too commercial? Yes. Was it inappropriate? I'd have to say yes, but we have to look at both sides of the coin. What else was she supposed to do to dig herself out of that debt? I personally think Weight Watchers was a brilliant move--I don't like her hawking candles on QVC though. But, as the very least, her daughters can be proud that their mom showed them a good work ethic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom