What is your opinion about Sarah, Duchess of York?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but do you think somebody could invent this? And they have to keep the tiara somewhere... why not in this locker? :D
Most Tiara's of any worth are kept in safety deposit boxes or even safes, not in lockers. :flowers:

I doubted this story too when it was first discussed in another thread a while ago until it was pointed out that the (modern) bedroom suite at Sunninghill probably included a built-in safe. Maybe Sarah was happy to leave the tiara in Andrew's keeping knowing that it would be secure. It wasn't widely publicised at the time but some years ago she had jewels stolen from her baggage at a US airport (ground staff or baggage handlers were responsible). They were quickly recovered but the experience may have encouraged her to place the tiara under what is effectively royal protection.

Don't quote me, I was just saying that, from what I know/have learned about pieces of jewelry (for which I believe a tiara qualifies) being given to titled persons on occasions such as marriages and births, they are usually given to the title rather than the individual person. Now if HM gave that tiara as a personal gift to Sarah then it would be Sarah's regardless of what became of her marriage to the Duke of York. And she could do with it as she pleased; pass it on to one of her daughters, give it away, sell it. I guess the question is How was the tiara given to Sarah?
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the title Duke of York was reserved for the sovereign's second son and merges back into the crown upon the death of the current Duke of York. Since the last two Dukes of York became King, which did effectively merge the title into the crown, I can't be certain.

At any rate, if this is the case, and the tiara wasn't given to Sarah but to the title, wouldn't it also merge into the crown upon Andrew's death?

Cat

I would think that HM would let the girls wear it or keep it upon marriage. But that's just me.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the title Duke of York was reserved for the sovereign's second son and merges back into the crown upon the death of the current Duke of York. Since the last two Dukes of York became King, which did effectively merge the title into the crown, I can't be certain.

At any rate, if this is the case, and the tiara wasn't given to Sarah but to the title, wouldn't it also merge into the crown upon Andrew's death?

Cat

If Andrew has a son, the title will pass go to him, like a normal dukedom.

The title "Duke of York" is associated with the second son of the monarch, but that is because the holder has usually either died without male heirs or inherited the throne. It has no special status like the Duke of Cornwall title.

I doubted this story too when it was first discussed in another thread a while ago until it was pointed out that the (modern) bedroom suite at Sunninghill probably included a built-in safe.

The tiara is said to be kept in a bedroom at the Royal Lodge, which of course is a rather well protected house on the Windsor Estate. :flowers:

If Andrew has a son, the title will pass go to him, like a normal dukedom.

The title "Duke of York" is associated with the second son of the monarch, but that is because the holder has usually either died without male heirs or inherited the throne. It has no special status like the Duke of Cornwall title.
Okay, so the Duke of York is passed down through the male line, and it's just a coincidence that the title has usually been available for the sovereign to pass to the second son. I have been edumicated!:D

Since Andrew has no male issue and it is highly unlikely he will at this point (never say never), so upon his death the title will revert to the crown. That being the case, I hope the tiara was given to Sarah so the York girls will have it for the future. I think it would make a nice tradition for Sarah's tiara to become their family wedding tiara.

Cat

Last edited:
But do you think this was a diplomatic or even clever thing to do? She's now told the media that
a) Bea reads articles like that and is hurt by them.
b) Bea is not yet grown-up in her mum's eyes but needs protection.
c) (that's between the lines) Bea's mum thinks herself that while bea has a lot of achievements, she is not a beauty.
d) Bea's mum can be reached on attacking her daughter.

Sorry, but for me this is much too much to give away to the vipers of the tabloids. IMHO there should never have been a comment from Bea's side or her family's side. But that's Sarah for you.

(More about that on the Bea-thread, if you are interested.:flowers:)

gee Jo i think this is a bit of a stretch. i have a daughter and no matter how old she is i will always go to any length to defend/protect her as most mothers would do. as for saying the sarah doesn't see her as a beauty i don't get that all from this. i think sarah has learned a great deal about herself over the years is teaching her daughters that the press will attack anything about you but that doesn't mean that she doesn't see her daughters as not being beautiful.

re: Sarah's tiara

Here is a photo of her wearing her wedding tiara to Elton John's White Tie and Tiara Ball in 2001 (sorry, its sideways). Since that is well after her divorce, the tiara is most likely a gift to her personally unless Andrew gives it to her for fancy dress parties.

Corbis: photography, rights, motion.}

That's a great picture of Sarah, sideways or not!:) She had some horrible evening wear in the early years, but her jewelery was always very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, that is a very nice photo of Sarah. She looks every bit the Duchess.

yes id o like sarah alot of ppl dont like her because all they worry about is the future of the monachy all the time doesnt seem to matter what ppl have gone through when they have married into the royal house hold.

I have to wonder why she has this apparent 'need' to be in the media. Now we have her in a ridiculous programme called the Duchess of Hull... which she isn't! :bang:

I have to wonder why she has this apparent 'need' to be in the media. Now we have her in a ridiculous programme called the Duchess of Hull... which she isn't! :bang:

Wasn't it "The Duchess in Hull"? And there she was...:flowers:

It's nice to see her wearing her tiara again, but those South Sea pearls--WOW. I wonder if they're hers or borrowed?

I think she's stuck in a time warp circa 1991-92, ie she thinks that she is still a very significant public figure which she just isn't anymore. I saw her on Sky news talking about being wary about coming back to Britain as the public may not want her back etc, most people couldn't care less what she does as there is a whole new generation who don't even know who she is. She also described Andrew as "Britain's great Prince" I think once she's back in this country a while she'll realise that he, and her daughters, are rather obscure to the general public even though she loves to bang on about them being Princesses and, de facto, really important whilst in the scheme of things they are not as important as she (and Andrew) would like to think they were. It's 2008 and times have changed. Sarah will soon learn that in the U.K. the Yorks are not the big newsworthy family they were in the 1980's and early 1990's.

Last edited:
Well it's cyclical. Like in the 80's and 90's everybody was a Royal watcher.
Like that really, really loathsome over done 70's hard metal music is back (my kid just went to one of their concerts--YIKES!) and in a couple years they'll be sporting Buffy and Muffy in checked lime green bahama shorts with pale pink polo's and pink Ked's again. . . . :bang:

Actually, I believe Sarah has to court the media to turn a spotlight on her charities.

But do you think this was a diplomatic or even clever thing to do? She's now told the media that
a) Bea reads articles like that and is hurt by them.
b) Bea is not yet grown-up in her mum's eyes but needs protection.
c) (that's between the lines) Bea's mum thinks herself that while bea has a lot of achievements, she is not a beauty.
d) Bea's mum can be reached on attacking her daughter.

Sorry, but for me this is much too much to give away to the vipers of the tabloids. IMHO there should never have been a comment from Bea's side or her family's side. But that's Sarah for you.

(More about that on the Bea-thread, if you are interested.:flowers:)

You may have point.

Sorry Fergie, I can't stomach you or your porky pies | Mail Online

a lot of people didnt like sarah becuz she didnt fit what a princess looked like while diana did. sarah was a down to earth person and i love her for that and thats why andrew fell in love with her. if andrew wasnt the duke of york and the son of the queen i think they would still be married now, they would have worked everything out.

sarah was a down to earth person and i love her for that and thats why andrew fell in love with her.

Hm, I don 't know. Anne is a down-to-earth person, IMHO while Sarah is a bit too undisciplined in her tastes and behaviour. I believe she doesn't ponder her actions much in advance on doing something and so out of impulsiveness and due to her character, she often makes the wrong choices. Well, lately she seems to have herself more under control but still IMHO she does make a lot of faux pas like the interview she gave about Beatrice and the bikini-issue. But all that of course does not make her unlovable. She is rather likeable, I believe she is honest to a faultand a reliable friend, but she seems to be magically called to dropping clangers.

I think every mother would want to stick up for their children, but was it a wise choice lashing out at the media though.

I think the duchess is just an impulsive woman, who has made a few mistakes in her life, and has paid dearly for them.

I admire Sarah for sticking up for her daughter but she wasn´t very wise and should have thought before she spoke. I didn´t like the way she brought up that Beatrice had had learning difficulties and was dyslexic, I had had no idea of this before and I am sure that many people had never heard this either. I think it was unecessary. If she has overcome these difficulties then good for her but I don´t think it was kind of her mother to blurt them out to the media.

Actually, it's fairly common knowledge that both Beatrice and Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden are dyslexic. Both are very proud of having been able to cope with the condition, and thrived academicaly in spite of it.

Cat

Fantastic article--
You might also like this one

Fergie, Duchess Of York: Journalist Fights Back In Princess Row |Sky News|Health

The journalist accuses the Duchess of whipping up a publicity storm to plug her ITV show The Duchess In Hull in which Sarah is seen trying to re-educate a working-class family with unhealthy eating habits.
Allison Pearson is not impressed and says she refuses to take part in a slanging match that will "generate even more publicity for this world-class attention seeker".

I especially liked the comments following the Sky News article. Gee, I thought we were the only ones doubled over with laughter while reading the D---- Mail!:ROFLMAO:

Cat

I read this article today and found it very interesting. It made me laugh when she said that Marie Antoinette said "let them eat cake" (really brioche if she ever said this at all) whereas Sarah said "let them eat cabbage". She didn´t really say this but the sense of what she said boiled down to that.....
Oh dear, boiled cabbage!

Well clearly not everyone was in favor of Ms Pearson's article. It was buried almost immediately the same day it was posted and there were only 7 comments allowed. The DM also posted a poll asking if Ms. Pearson was correct in criticizing Beatrice in such a manner and the majority disagreed with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom