What is your opinion about Sarah, Duchess of York?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zonk said:
I am going to make a prediction..and I know a lot of people are going to have a problem if it comes true.....BUT I think when Phillip dies (not that I am advocating mind you) and if or when Charles becomes King....you will see more of Sarah as a part of Andrew's life.

I think we all know that Phillip can't stand Sarah and most likely if he wasn't around per se....than Sarah would be accepted at more 'family but not royal events.' And not always at her assistance...but these invitations might be given freely. I think the Queen accepts that Sarah is a "non negotiable" in Andrews life. And like any mother..she wants her child to be happy. While both she and Charles recognize that Sarah is not royal marriage material...they do recognize the love that the two share for each other.

I'll second your prediction, Zonk.

I think that Andrew spends time with Sarah because he wants to and for no other reason. I believe that if he still loves her and has forgiven her and wants to be with her, it's no-one else's business. Rather than make him look foolish, I think it makes him look independent and brave. He could have bowed to the pressure to give her up that his father has no doubt exerted on him, but he didn't. Good for him!

I don't like Sarah one bit. To me she made a joke of the British Monarchy and is still using her connections to keep herself alfloat. She needs to be more of a mother than trying to be her girl's friend- she needs to act her age and grow up..:ohmy: :rolleyes: I don't mean to offend anyone who likes her but I wanted to be honest..

Last edited:
Zonk said:
I am going to make a prediction...
Well I'll be honest Zonk; I'm one that would definitely not like it if it comes true.

But I don't think that Prince Philip is the only one in the Royal Family who can't stand Sarah. I don't think Charles or Anne are too fond of her either. Charles was even uncomfortable with some of Diana's attention-seeking behavior and Diana was a lot more refined so I can imagine what he thinks of some of Sarah's escapades. Do you remember his look of disapproval when they goofed around on the ski slopes together? and never mind when they dressed up as policemen at Ascot! Anne strikes me as someone who is just too no-nonsense to put up with Sarah. Its not just Sarah's publicity seeking ventures in the United States; its her loud, unfettered, larger than life persona even in private that make the family uncomfortable. True, Andrew loves her, but does he love her enough to make his own family extremely uncomfortable on a regular periodic basis at their own private events?

Somehow I can't see this group all together at regular family events. I understand what you're saying about Camilla but while the affair made the Royal Family uncomfortable, they solved that problem now and Charles and Camilla are married. Camilla, the person, never made the Royal Family uncomfortable in that they were dreading spending an afternoon at tea with her. They may have wondered if it was inappropriate but that's another matter entirely and I think people can get over that if they are relatively comfortable being around the person.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stand by my prediction :)

I definitely agree with your assessment of what Anne might think of Sarah...but I believe Charles might surprise you all.

Don't forget in the beginning of Sarah's marriage to Andrew he asked why Diana couldn't be more like her. Of course, towards the end he was as tired of her antics as anyone. But that was what...ten to fifteen years ago? Maybe he isn't holding a grudge? As I really don't know what Charles thinks on a regular basis...I am just going to guess that because he fought a hell of a battle to be with Camilla, despite many telling him to forget about it and move on....he might be on the side of his brother and realize you can't fight love.

And in regards to the family get togethers...when I use Charles and Camilla as a model...I am thinking in the beginning when just they (C and C) did things together. Theatre, plays, concerts, vacations, etc. Camilla might have met several family members in private...but they weren't all hanging out at Windsor over tea :).

Let me just say, we don't really know if Andrew is so in love w Sarah. Nor do we know if she is so in love with him. This is pure speculation. Just because they get along w each other and he has helped her out by allowing her (and his daughters) to live in the same (enormous) house as him, doesn't necessarily they are in love in the romantic sense. I am divorced and my ex husband and I went out to dinner after coming from the courthouse. We get along exceptionally well (no children involved even) and have gone out w each other, shared holidays together, etc. I view him as a friend and I do love him but I am not in love w him. I tend to think this is the relationship Andrew and Sarah have. And while I def. agree that Prince Philip is perhaps the most vocal about his distaste for Sarah, I don't think he is alone in his feelings for her as being inappropriate for all things royal. Even after he dies, even after the Queen herself dies, I highly doubt Andrew and Sarah will become more of an item. I feel she will forever remain on the fringe - the sidelines, when it comes to the RF. She'll have her daughters as a thread, but it's a weak link. I'd rather see her find a man she would fit well with. Someone who would accept her for who she is, flaws and all. I think there will always be something special between herself and Andrew, but romantically . . . I think it's gone.

I don't think they will or should ever re-marry. Why would Sarah deserve to be re-married to Andrew? She willingly blew it the first time. She violated the sanctity of their marriage while her husband was serving his country in the Navy. What a bad decision a re-do would be.

tabbitha said:
I don't like Sarah one bit. To me she made a joke of the British Monarchy and is still using her connections to keep herself alfloat. She needs to be more of a mother than trying to be her girl's friend- she needs to act her age and grow up..

I agree wholeheartedly. Between Sarah and Diana, irreparable harm was done to the British Monarchy. Sarah and Andrew should NEVER be allowed to re-marry.

joon112 said:
I agree wholeheartedly. Between Sarah and Diana, irreparable harm was done to the British Monarchy. Sarah and Andrew should NEVER be allowed to re-marry.

Absolutely:) I am sure that Andrew married Sarah because she was fun and out there, but she proved to be crase and completely unsuitable in her role as a Royal Princess.
Re-marrying her would be a huge mistake. IMO

she doesnt seem like a bad person..shes definately made her fair share of mistakes..but then dont all of us...

i believe she has done a great job in raising her daughters to be like any other child and not 'windsorized'.... something that even Diana, princess of wales believed in.

and she has maintained fairly good relations with her ex husband for the sake of her 2 girls...which shows her a totally different side of her

we seem to only remember the negative aspects...

im not saying shes the best but definatelt not as bad...

i think that she is a good person, with good morals..however, i think that she is selling her image of being royalty/celbrity too much... maybe its not such a bad thing

princess b is right. we only seem to remember her bad qualities. she has done a lot of great work which people are too quick to disregard

I've always liked Fergie, but she needs to make better choices in her life.

I completely agree that Fergie needs to make better choices--and yes, Russophile--those stockings have got to go!!! OMG they are hideous.

I Think Prince Philip and I Share the same opinion of her. That is all ill say on the matter.

Bless her heart she certainly has milked her association to the royal family and what was left of her title for all its worth... and then some.

She like a old pair of expensive shoes: broken in, super comfortable but a bit to battered and worn out to be considered uber stylish, clever or new...too interesting to toss away when making room for the new...but the thought crosses the mind every now just to toss in the dustbin and not look back....yet since they cost waaay too much, you just can't ever get rid of them for good in good conscious. You keep them because the memories you made were actually wonderful and hopeful...because they were once the prettiest shoes in the entire wardrobe.

Last edited:
I Think Prince Philip and I Share the same opinion of her. That is all ill say on the matter.
Yup I agree.

But who did more damage to the royal family Fergie or Diana?

Yup I agree.

But who did more damage to the royal family Fergie or Diana?

I think they have all done their fair share of damage with plenty to go around. Fergie didn't do anything worse than Diana. She was just stupid enough to get caught. Diana had LOTS of lovers during her marriage and after her separation, told blatant lies about her complicity in the Morton book
and about the nuisance calls she made to one of her married lovers even after there was proof that she did it.

Listening to Camilla and Charles on the Camillagate tapes was just....unreal. Charles whines about an ambulance strike getting in the way of him having sex with his mistress??

Prince Edward and his ill-advised "Royal Knockout" TV Show..Princess Michael and her sneaking around in blonde wigs in the middle of night as she leaves the home of a male friend....Princess Anne's fooling around with her equerry while married...

Even Prince Philip himself has had his moments...there was lots of unsavory publicity about him in the early 60's, his mistresses were reported to be legion. Several of his brothers-in-law were active members of Hitler's inner circle most notably Prince Christoph of Hesse husband to his sister Sophie. And Philip has made very embarrassing statements about other races and cultures.

My point is why is what Fergie did so unforgivable when other members of the BRF have done the same or worse? Is it because Fergie didn't look as stylish or photogenic as Diana when she was committing her screw-ups?

In other words, tell me again WHY exactly Fergie is the big bad wolf here??

Last edited:
Maybe, Fergie was picked on because she was not as crafty as others.

I think they have all done their fair share of damage with plenty to go around...
You're absolutely right, all the other members of the royal family have shown more than their fair share of unsavory behaviour. Serenissima's right, the only difference between them and Sarah is that Sarah does not know how to put on a different face in public.

You're absolutely right, all the other members of the royal family have shown more than their fair share of unsavory behaviour. Serenissima's right, the only difference between them and Sarah is that Sarah does not know how to put on a different face in public.

So Sarah's not as hypocritical and sneaky as the others. And that's a bad thing?

So Sarah's not as hypocritical and sneaky as the others. And that's a bad thing?

I don't think that is what she meant at all. It's neither a "good" or "bad" thing. She was simply agreeing with the premise that Sarah's misdeeds were more spectacular and in public, while the other members of the family have done similar bad things but knew how to not to get caught. Either that or they were more savvy about manipulating public and press opinion in their favor than Sarah was.

Last edited:
We do not hear very much about her recently. Does she live in America now ?

One would hope that NONE of the Royals would exhibit those qualities. She just seems to put her hoof in it more often than not!

She divides her time between New York City and Britain.

Oh, I see. I suppose that she must get paid very nicely by the American TV shows etc. A lot of our lot go to find such highly paid jobs over there nowadays. The organist of St Paul's also went over to St Thomas's in New York as their organist.

Anyway, going back to Sarah Ferguson, is she a TV personality over there ? I do vaguely remember her appearing in one of the series of FRIENDS or something but it was such a long time ago.

One would hope that NONE of the Royals would exhibit those qualities. She just seems to put her hoof in it more often than not!

I agree. It's very frustrating, isn't it? But sometimes she has herself to blame and other times it appears that the media(in Britain) sort of have it in for her.

Like the recent unflattering photos of herself asleep in the taxicab!

Oh, I see. I suppose that she must get paid very nicely by the American TV shows etc. A lot of our lot go to find such highly paid jobs over there nowadays. The organist of St Paul's also went over to St Thomas's in New York as their organist.

Anyway, going back to Sarah Ferguson, is she a TV personality over there ? I do vaguely remember her appearing in one of the series of FRIENDS or something but it was such a long time ago.

Well she has several commercial endorsements that she does, most famous (or INFAMOUS if you will) is for Weight Watchers.

Also I heard that she does some sort of work for CNN's Larry King. I am not sure what it is. I understand that Sarah needs to make her own way in the world since most of the $$ she received in her settlement is in trust for her children but I do wish she wasn't so willing to lend her name to any old product that seems willing to exploit her Royal connections and name. I guess I just wish she'd been more prudent in the choices of what to allow her name to be connected with.

Sarah is no dummy, despite her lack of prudence and common sense. She has written at least two beautiful books on Queen Victoria and her children and homes(she is fascinated by that monarch and by that period of English history. That's why she gave her daughters those names!)

So how did we get from Queen Victoria at Osborne House to....WEIGHT WATCHERS and Ocean Spray Cranberry juice??!!

Funny, I never see her, then again, I never watch Larry King either. . . :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom