The Prince Andrew and Jeffrey Epstein Controversy 1: 2010-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what law Andrew is alleged to have broken: can anyone enlighten me?

Here are a few salient facts. First, the government cannot sack him - his is not a government or ministerial appointment. The government will have to bring considerable pressure to bear on the Queen to do so.

Second: the prince can hardly be accused of associating with 'despicable tyrants' when the governments of most Western countries have done precisely the same thing, and governments of all political persuasions, at that. Time and again, the West has overlooked, if not condoned, the excesses of tin-pot dictators and tyrants to secure financial advantage, particularly in pursuit of oil supplies, for itself.

Third: lots of people love fawning on royals and Middle Eastern royal families and other rulers alike – whose fine old collection of petro-dollars the West is desperate to get its hands on – don't feel comfortable talking trade unless there's a British royal serving the drinks. Partly, it's an historical and ex-colonial hang-up.

The UK's export strengths which it is the trade ambassador's role to foster remain thus: Big Pharma; weapons of war; the Royal Family. The two former inform the bulk of the UK's export income these days and the Royal Family is, dutifully, instrumental in promoting the sales.

Buckingham Palace has pointed out that Andrew's interactions with the Gadhafi regime – and Tunisia's ousted dictatorship, too- fell within the mandate of his job as special trade representative.

"It was part of the British government's engagement with Libya at the time," a palace spokesman said on customary condition of anonymity.
The spokesman confirmed Andrew met Moammar Gadhafi twice. Both meetings were properly conducted and of public record and should not come as news.

However, Andrew's friendship with Epstein is a problem of some moral dimension, and reflects poorly on his lack of nous, and what can only be described as stupidity. Still, in most countries, stupidity remains a personal failing, not a crime. As for Epstein, there's not space enough and time to discuss his massive influence, powerful friends, and how and why the elite so frequently escape full retribution for their crimes.

As far as I can see, the only law he might have broken is if he was "involved" with any of Epstein's underage masseuses in the Florida house. However, that hasn't been alleged. In fact, the papers seem to be bending over backwards to say that nothing like that has been suggested.

Personally, I don't have a problem with things Andrew might have done or people he might have seen on the request of the government. Dealing with shady characters is a fact of life in business and foreign dealings.

I don't know what law Andrew is alleged to have broken: can anyone enlighten me?

If anyone can see the flip side of this it actually shows what a wonderful person Andrew is by helping out his ex-wife still after all these years. I read the latest article on dailymail but can someone perhaps sum up what exactly has happened and why it's being deemed so wrong?

If anyone can see the flip side of this it actually shows what a wonderful person Andrew is by helping out his ex-wife still after all these years. I read the latest article on dailymail but can someone perhaps sum up what exactly has happened and why it's being deemed so wrong?

If you can't see what is "wrong" with being under obligation to a pedophile, to arranging for that pedophile to pay for the debts of another, or to be photographed cuddling that pedophile's victims, then I really don't think that anyone on a Royal internet board can help you understand. Perhaps you might consider volunteering locally at a charity that helps sex abuse victims for a deeper look at the vicious world of child sexual exploitation.

I realize this may be a tad of subject, but looked up Jeff Epstein and by Forbes's view he is NOT a billionaire at all! Then I read the 336 people who were on the billionaire list and he is not..
The headline for this article reads something like

"Sex - offender - yes, scum bag, yes: billionaire NO!

Also since he gave "some" monies, who else gave money to get Sarah out of debt? Would it be some rich shiek from the middle east?

I thought that the article was unnecessarily hard on Prince Edward, but I agree with what the writer said otherwise. I feel badly for the Queen, for the York princesses, and for Prince William and Kate; because it's up to the Queen's grandchildren to clean up the legacy of Prince Andrew and Sarah and, to a lesser extent, Charles and Diana.

Good article.

Also since he gave "some" monies, who else gave money to get Sarah out of debt? Would it be some rich shiek from the middle east?

This is a question I have now as well. Who else has been paying off Sarah's debts? Sarah's rich friends? Andrew's rich friends from the Middle East/one of the former Soviet states? There has obviously been some deal-making going on.

And if other people are paying off Sarah's debts for her--isn't she still indebted to those people? (And if they do it for Sarah as a favour to Andrew, Andrew is indebted to them for the favour.)

This is a question I have now as well. Who else has been paying off Sarah's debts? Sarah's rich friends? Andrew's rich friends from the Middle East/one of the former Soviet states? There has obviously been some deal-making going on.

And if other people are paying off Sarah's debts for her--isn't she still indebted to those people? (And if they do it for Sarah as a favour to Andrew, Andrew is indebted to them for the favour.)

This may be akin to pulling the first loose thread on the tapestry, thinking that will tidy it up; instead, it begins the unraveling.

Good questions, indeed.

Royal family's 'dismay' at Duke of York's controversial friends - Telegraph

Members of the Royal family have expressed “dismay” at the Duke of York’s friendship with a convicted paedophile, The Daily Telegraph has learnt.

A well-placed source has disclosed that there has been “concern” for at least two years that the Duke’s choice of company would “blow up” and embarrass the Royal household.

A lot of times when you are friends with people or you like someone, you often don't see or want to see negative things about them, even if other people see it and this includes family and friends. I don't know if this is the case with Prince Andrew, but in a lot of cases it is.

A friend of mine knows a young man who committed several crimes and has admitted to doing so and is being punished by the court system for commiting these crimes. His picture and the story about his crimes were published in the newspaper where she lives.

It's hard for her to imagine that this young man would be capable of doing this (the person that she thought she knew was very different) even though he's admitting to doing so. I see a very different person though.

As I see it, this young man chose to do what he did and will now suffer the consequences of doing so. I don't have a lot of sympathy for him. We differ in our opinion of this young man as most people who know of the situation feel the same way I do about it.

Last edited:
If you can't see what is "wrong" with being under obligation to a pedophile, to arranging for that pedophile to pay for the debts of another, or to be photographed cuddling that pedophile's victims, then I really don't think that anyone on a Royal internet board can help you understand. Perhaps you might consider volunteering locally at a charity that helps sex abuse victims for a deeper look at the vicious world of child sexual exploitation.
I'm not saying I don't understand what's wrong with what he did I'm just saying I haven't followed the situation very closely and just wanted to see what it was all about no need to get huffy puffy about it and thank you very much I very much understand alot about child sexual abuse, don't need to do charity work to open up my eyes to see it. You seem to have read my question incorrectly.

Here is a link and David Cameron's point of view:
BBC News - Cameron backs Prince Andrew in trade envoy row

Thank you for that gave me a nice quick summary

I'm going to ask some questions that probably have been answered before but can't remember.
1; when did Andrew and Epsteins friendship occur?
2; was it before or after he was charged with whatever offences he commuted (no sure of the details) :)

This article says that Prince Andrew introduced Beatrice and Eugenie to Jeffrey Epstein in Bermuda in 1998. He couldn't have known then. He just couldn't have known. No one, no matter how naive or blind, would introduce their young daughters to a man he knew was a paedophile.:sad:

The duke and the despot: Prince Andrew's 'close friendship' with brutal billionaire dictator accused of torture | Mail Online

I totally agree that Prince Andrew if he new of Epstein passion for younger girls, would not have put his daughters intoo jepohardy(*).. However in 1998, perhaps Bea and Eugenie were simply too too young for Mr. Epsteins tastes..

IMO, I feel we have two issues going on here. One, Andrews foolish friendship with Epstein and 2. Andrew job... and maybe 3. Sarah's debt and who paid for it.
I would like to think that after doing this job for 9 or 10 years, he must have been relatively good at it, since there has been no uproar prior to now..There are always people one meets in business, that aren't lily white by any means but business is still conducted.
What do any of you think? At least 2 issues..

There's a fourth issue as well: those who are exploiting this entire situation for political or personal reasons. I mean people who would like to see a republic in the UK and those who can't stand Prince Andrew for personal or other reasons.

It's a perfect storm for those who would like to see the monarchy fall. All these threads are coming together and creating something bigger than the parts.

IMO, I feel we have two issues going on here. One, Andrews foolish friendship with Epstein and 2. Andrew job... and maybe 3. Sarah's debt and who paid for it.

What do any of you think? At least 2 issues..

The British monarchy is far from falling, as you put it.

Allegedly, Epstein paid £ 15,000 towards Fergie's debt - a paltry sum which would not make much inroads into her total endebtedness.

Bad as it is that JE is a convicted criminal, what most concerns me is PA's abuse of his position as a Royal and as a trade ambassador. One has to accept that if someone gave him £15,000 for his ex-wife or bought a house that he previously couldn't sell, for £3 million over the asking price, to name but two examples that we know of, then they are going to want something in return. We have all this then we have Sarah Ferguson getting caught on camera arranging money for access to PA so that he might provide business opportunites. It looks like he and his ex-wife have had a nice little scam going for quite some time and the fact that some of their benefactors happen to be deeply unsavoury characters is just the cherry on the cake.

I agree. But some republicans will take any opportunity to smear the institution, including the kind of malicious innuendo that Prince Andrew has been exposed to. The man has, for all intents and purposes, been accused at winking at paedophilia; though the papers are smart enough to make these innuendos and then back off with "there's no suggestion that there was any sexual contact..."

Allegedly, Epstein paid £ 15,000 towards Fergie's debt - a paltry sum which would not make much inroads into her total endebtedness.

Why do I read all the time that Andrew is her favourite son ? How can they know ?

He can be a favorite son, because, for whatever reason he appeals to his mother, the most. Maybe, he has a winning personality, which, obviously, Charles, nor Edward have. I can't see it, either. I don't know how they know. It is just talk. Andrew and Sarah are not that far apart, I believe. They suit each other very well. Sarah takes more flak.

Why do I read all the time that Andrew is her favourite son ? How can they know ?

It's said that he is her favorite because he is a "reunion" child, born after his mother became queen. There is a ten-year gap between Andy and the next older child, Anne. It is said that during that gap time, the marriage of the Queen and the Duke underwent some significant upheaval and their eventual rebonding resulting in Andrew.

A romantic idea, and it may or may not be true....but that's the legend behind "Andy is the fave."

That we know of.

I'm guessing this is all far from over.

Oh, I am sure they will find a way to gloss it over. If it were Sarah, she would have been hung out to dry. No excuses.

The so-called Duke and his "Duchess" deserve each other although I can say, hand on heart, that I had them down as a couple of A-list idiots from the day they got engaged!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom