The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #3701  
Old 02-05-2020, 02:33 PM
Helen.CH's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chambery, France
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Oh dear - I'm not fine with it at all. I think Epstein was a sick, sleazy person and I believe he really abused various women. Anyone who collaborated with him to traffic these women should receive justice.

But there seems to be this disproportionate focus on Andrew. Why Andrew and not Alan Dershowitz, who Virginia Guiffre also accused of having sex with her? If I look at Virginia's tweets, there is no #Dershowitz...most of the tweets hashtag Andrew and Ghislaine. Why "tick tock Andy" but not similar tweets to other men?

What about all the other men who supposedly were at Epstein's mansion?
Well we do nit know if some if them did yet cooperate. And as I said some she might not even know the names.
The fact that there are kore does not reduce Andrews involvement.
But guess if being in Giuffre's position the feeling of powerlessness might be even bigger when seing a weird system protecting a Royal from being hold responsible.
By the way Giufrre has any right to choose how she wants to deal with it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3702  
Old 02-05-2020, 02:34 PM
Helen.CH's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chambery, France
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Well now we got another press conference. At this point I would just tell the feds what I knew because honestly if you have zero to hide then why not? This is never going away.
A new one, from who where, when? Thanks.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3703  
Old 02-05-2020, 09:53 PM
Leopoldine's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 705
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nion-Jack.html

The man who ordered this was most likely trying to stir the pot.

edit - for those who don't click on the DM, the article states that some government official ordered councils to fly the Union Jack in honor of Prince Andrew's 60th birthday.
Reply With Quote
  #3704  
Old 02-06-2020, 03:24 AM
Helen.CH's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chambery, France
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nion-Jack.html

The man who ordered this was most likely trying to stir the pot.

edit - for those who don't click on the DM, the article states that some government official ordered councils to fly the Union Jack in honor of Prince Andrew's 60th birthday.
Oh, ok thanks. I thought a press conference was held.
Anyway this is an interesting point, I dis not know this even is usual to happen, funny thing, I guessed they'd probably do it for HM but everyone?
I hope the councils refuse to do it!
Reply With Quote
  #3705  
Old 02-06-2020, 04:22 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,604
It seems nothing will be done because at this time there is nothing to done. Andrew is as any other man in the UK. He is not innocent, he is not guilty. He has been tried and convicted in the Court of Public Opinion and now that the media storm has passed the self righteous are wanting to pass sentence.

It is not enough that life as he knew it is over, that he he being spoken of as some sort of pervert or paedophile. There seems to be those who will not stop while he draws breath on the basis of media allegations. The Guardian? Since when did the FBI release official statements through them.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #3706  
Old 02-06-2020, 07:17 AM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,157
Liverpool is the 1st council to refuse to fly the union flag for Prince Andrew's birthday. I suspect others will also refuse.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...-flag-17698825


The Prime Minister's spokesperson just now:
"I understand that DCMS and the Royal Household are considering how the policy applies for changing circumstances such as when a member of the Royal Family has stepped back from public duties."

(DCMS is the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport)
Reply With Quote
  #3707  
Old 02-06-2020, 08:01 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 745
The Union flag's flown for the birthdays of all senior Royals, and for the Queen and Prince Philip's wedding anniversary. I'm not honestly sure why - most people wouldn't know that it was a Royal birthday, and wouldn't have a clue why the flag was flying. Anyway, most of us are glad to forget about our birthdays once we get past 21!! Liverpool city council is and has long been extremely left-wing and is probably glad of an excuse to have a dig at the system, but there's so much controversy about Prince Andrew at the moment that even moderate councils will probably follow suit. Seeing as he's not doing royal duties any more, I think his birthday could have been quietly removed from the list (as Harry and Meghan's have been) without it suggesting that anyone thought he was guilty of everything - as it is, it's just caused yet more trouble.
Reply With Quote
  #3708  
Old 02-06-2020, 01:19 PM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,157
The Yorkshire Post publishes its opinion:

"Duke of York does not deserve Union flag honour until Epstein affair is over – The Yorkshire Post says

The respect for the Queen and senior members of her family is such that district and parish councillors automatically fly the Union flag on Royal birthdays.

It is called civic pride. Yet the fact that a civil servant has sent out an official reminder ordering councils to do their duty on February 19 when the now disgraced Duke of York turns 60 is both crass and insensitive."


More here: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...ays-1-10242992
Reply With Quote
  #3709  
Old 02-06-2020, 02:55 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 745
Not only are the flags supposed to be flying, but Westminster Abbey is supposed to be ringing the bells to mark Andrew's 60th! Someone really didn't stop to think about this. It's now liable to open up a whole can of worms about whether or not the Union flag should be flown to mark Royal birthdays at all, which wasn't an issue until today.
Reply With Quote
  #3710  
Old 02-06-2020, 07:38 PM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,157
I can't believe they're still going with the bells - it won't be popular.

From Sky News:

"Councils will no longer be forced to fly flags to mark the Duke of York's 60th birthday - but the occasion will still be marked by the ringing of bells at Westminster Abbey."
(...)
"A government spokesman said: "The Department of Culture, Media and Sport will be advising councils that there is no requirement to fly flags on 19 February following the decision by the Duke of York to step back from public duties for the foreseeable future."



Also, there's this news about Prince Andrew's promotion to the rank of Admiral:

"The Duke of York has asked to defer an honorary Navy promotion he was due to receive when he turned 60, Buckingham Palace has said. Prince Andrew was set to be promoted to Admiral on 19 February, in line with a policy that sees senior royals treated as serving military members. But the palace said he had asked the Ministry of Defence to defer it until a time when he returns to public duty.

He stepped back from royal duties in November. It followed after a backlash over his past friendship with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51409732
Reply With Quote
  #3711  
Old 02-07-2020, 11:21 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mokane, United States
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I can't believe they're still going with the bells - it won't be popular.

From Sky News:

"Councils will no longer be forced to fly flags to mark the Duke of York's 60th birthday - but the occasion will still be marked by the ringing of bells at Westminster Abbey."
(...)
"A government spokesman said: "The Department of Culture, Media and Sport will be advising councils that there is no requirement to fly flags on 19 February following the decision by the Duke of York to step back from public duties for the foreseeable future."



Also, there's this news about Prince Andrew's promotion to the rank of Admiral:

"The Duke of York has asked to defer an honorary Navy promotion he was due to receive when he turned 60, Buckingham Palace has said. Prince Andrew was set to be promoted to Admiral on 19 February, in line with a policy that sees senior royals treated as serving military members. But the palace said he had asked the Ministry of Defence to defer it until a time when he returns to public duty.

He stepped back from royal duties in November. It followed after a backlash over his past friendship with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51409732
If that statement is entirely true and not just worded that way to save face, then it certainly indicates that he does, at some point or another, plan to return to public duties. I honestly have no idea how he expects to accomplish that but it will most definitely be interesting to watch. I'd be quite surprised if Charles and William don't have very definite thoughts on the matter.
Reply With Quote
  #3712  
Old 02-07-2020, 11:40 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
If that statement is entirely true and not just worded that way to save face, then it certainly indicates that he does, at some point or another, plan to return to public duties. I honestly have no idea how he expects to accomplish that but it will most definitely be interesting to watch. I'd be quite surprised if Charles and William don't have very definite thoughts on the matter.
I’m sure that he does hope one day to return, so even if he thinks it unlikely, he would want to keep the option open. This isn’t the kind of stain that can ever be removed, so I agree that neither Charles nor William are likely to ever be open to this possibility.

As to celebrating his birthday, it’s ridiculous that the bells will still be rung as if this is a happy occasion the BRF wants to celebrate with the public. This is not about crucifying Andrew in the court of public opinion, it’s the fact that even if he’s not guilty of any crime, he still did some extremely nasty things. I just think it would be better if this kind of thing - re: the flags as well- were silenced for awhile.
Reply With Quote
  #3713  
Old 02-07-2020, 11:56 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I’m sure that he does hope one day to return, so even if he thinks it unlikely, he would want to keep the option open. This isn’t the kind of stain that can ever be removed, so I agree that neither Charles nor William are likely to ever be open to this possibility.

As to celebrating his birthday, it’s ridiculous that the bells will still be rung as if this is a happy occasion the BRF wants to celebrate with the public. This is not about crucifying Andrew in the court of public opinion, it’s the fact that even if he’s not guilty of any crime, he still did some extremely nasty things. I just think it would be better if this kind of thing - re: the flags as well- were silenced for awhile.
I hope that Charles and William are definitely against the idea of his ever returning. He is 60 so while that's young for a roylal to retire, its not impossibly young. The trouble is I suppose the queen perhaps hoping that his public image will improve in time.. AND there is the fact that the RF have lost 2 young workers just a few weeks after Andrew had to step down. Maybe Andy thinks that with Meg and Harry gone, tehre is a chance for him to creep back later on... While possibly C and Will hope that in a year or 2, Meg and harry will feel they don't want to stay abroad and will agree to come back at least part time?
Reply With Quote
  #3714  
Old 02-07-2020, 12:16 PM
Helen.CH's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chambery, France
Posts: 305
Weel, I think Andrew has showed a high level of unawareness so maybe he really thinks about a comeback which I hope will be denied by Charles.
Reply With Quote
  #3715  
Old 02-07-2020, 12:23 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,223
I hope it is face saving on his part.. but I fear he IS that arrogant.. and I fear the queen is still too indulgent to him. I think Charles will not ever give him another chance..but - of course there is the issue of their losing 2 young members of the team who were pretty much hoped for to have a lifetime of work for the firm.. With the Sussexes gone and Andrew the RF have lost their workers, suddenly and there doesn't seem to be anyone who can fill in...
Reply With Quote
  #3716  
Old 02-07-2020, 01:31 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,523
I think we can pretty much assume that Andrew has been put out to pasture never to return to work for the "Firm". If it really was to be something temporary, I don't think they would have shut down Andrew's office and staff in BP.

Its just logical too that after all that has transpired with charities and patronages dropping him left and right, there's not going to be a huge demand out there that will even want Andrew to represent them should it be announced he's returning to the "Firm".
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #3717  
Old 02-07-2020, 03:01 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think we can pretty much assume that Andrew has been put out to pasture never to return to work for the "Firm". If it really was to be something temporary, I don't think they would have shut down Andrew's office and staff in BP.

Its just logical too that after all that has transpired with charities and patronages dropping him left and right, there's not going to be a huge demand out there that will even want Andrew to represent them should it be announced he's returning to the "Firm".
Lets hope so.. but the fact that they are still ringing bells for his birthday, worries me. I wonder if some parts of the RF including of course Andrew hope that in time he will be asked back. the loss of H and Meghan has hit the RF at the same time as Losing Andrew.. and they ARE very short of workers now. I have seen mention that the senior royals have not ruled out the prospect of a return. I hope it is not true.
Reply With Quote
  #3718  
Old 02-07-2020, 03:21 PM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Lets hope so.. but the fact that they are still ringing bells for his birthday, worries me. I wonder if some parts of the RF including of course Andrew hope that in time he will be asked back. the loss of H and Meghan has hit the RF at the same time as Losing Andrew.. and they ARE very short of workers now. I have seen mention that the senior royals have not ruled out the prospect of a return. I hope it is not true.
I don't think there's any chance of Andrew returning to royal duties. He might hope so but what could change to make that happen? He can't undo his interview where he said he didn't regret his friendship with a convicted sex offender because it was useful to him. He can't undo those photos of him at Epstein's house or walking in the park with him, knowing what he was. He can't justify staying with Epstein for 4 days "to tell him he couldn't continue the friendship" when he could have stayed elsewhere.

As for the BRF being short of workers, what exactly did Andrew do that was vital work for 'the firm'? Nothing at all. The charity work can just be cut down to fit the size of the working members. The core, essential work can be covered by the monarch & direct heirs.
Reply With Quote
  #3719  
Old 02-07-2020, 03:26 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Lets hope so.. but the fact that they are still ringing bells for his birthday, worries me. I wonder if some parts of the RF including of course Andrew hope that in time he will be asked back. the loss of H and Meghan has hit the RF at the same time as Losing Andrew.. and they ARE very short of workers now. I have seen mention that the senior royals have not ruled out the prospect of a return. I hope it is not true.
As far as I can see, the ringing of the bells for Andrew's birthday isn't something that he ever would have to have earned and is just part of tradition celebrating the birthdays of the royal family closest to the monarch.

I seriously doubt anyone in the RF or otherwise ever expect to see Andrew as a working royal again. That boat has sailed and left the horizon.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #3720  
Old 02-07-2020, 03:27 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I don't think there's any chance of Andrew returning to royal duties. He might hope so but what could change to make that happen? He can't undo his interview where he said he didn't regret his friendship with a convicted sex offender because it was useful to him. He can't undo those photos of him at Epstein's house or walking in the park with him, knowing what he was. He can't justify staying with Epstein for 4 days "to tell him he couldn't continue the friendship" when he could have stayed elsewhere.

As for the BRF being short of workers, what exactly did Andrew do that was vital work for 'the firm'? Nothing at all. The charity work can just be cut down to fit the size of the working members. The core, essential work can be covered by the monarch & direct heirs.
Andrew was one of the busier royal workers. He did a lot of work.. If he had not had to drop out, he would probably have been asked to take on more stuff when the Sussexes left. But all three of them left around the same time..and while I would like to feel that they can all go and not be missed, I think it is going to be hard for Charles with an aging set of siblings, to cover the workload. The queen is very old now.. Anne is 70. THe Gloucesters and Kents are getting quite old.
I agree tht Andrew Should NOT be allowed back but I can't help feeling that maybe there are worrying signs that he hasn't been completed benched.. He has retained one of his military appointements, there is the ringing of bells for his birthday. Maybe the RF don't want to close the door completely? I hope they are standing firm and wont let him back..
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones baptism biography british royal family brownbitcoinqueen canada cht commonwealth countries coronavirus countess of snowdon cover-up customs duke of sussex dutch royal family emperor fantasy movie gustaf vi adolf history house of windsor interesting introduction israel jack brooksbank jewelry jumma kent książ castle languages line of succession list of rulers luxembourg mail maxima nepal nepalese royal family popularity prince charles prince constantijn princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess dita princess elizabeth queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen maud queen maxima royal balls royal court royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding russian court dress settings spain speech startling new evidence stuart swedish queen taiwan thailand tradition united kingdom von hofmannsthal wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×