The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2020, 11:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I’ve seen people complain that BP has its head in the sand, but really, ‪I’m not sure what they expect the Queen to do. She can’t force Andrew to cooperate (though a stern lecture would be nice)‬. It feels like he’s his mummy’s spoiled child, even now at his age...he’s just oblivious to anyone but himself.

He is. I had trouble liking Andrew and Sarah from the beginning and I've liked the royals for decades.

I think the queen should strip Andrew of all his titles.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
He is. I had trouble liking Andrew and Sarah from the beginning and I've liked the royals for decades.

I think the queen should strip Andrew of all his titles.
Not likely to happen.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I don't know if Andrew has diplomatic immunity. Does the royal family have this?
Andrew does not have diplomatic immunity at all at this time. Nor do any other members of the royal family outside the Queen as the Head of State.

Quote:
As for Andrew could he be sent back to the US and stand trial as an HRH? Or would he have to be stripped of his titles?
First and foremost, Andrew would actually have to be accused of a crime, arrested and indicted on that crime before standing trial. The crime would have to be recognized as a crime in both the US and the UK and carry a penalty of a year or more jail time. Andrew's HRH has absolutely nothing to do with this or protects him any way.

So the answer is no to extradition to the US and standing trial in anything at all at this time.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:04 PM
Serene Highness

Andrew doesn't have to stand trial or be stripped of his HRH because he hasn't been accused (let alone convicted) of any crimes.

All that's being asked is that he co-operates with an investigation, which is something he said he would do and now seems to be trying to worm out of. He needs to 'man up', speak with the FBI & tell them everything he knows about the sex trafficker who he doesn't regret being friends with.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Andrew doesn't have to stand trial or be stripped of his HRH because he hasn't been accused (let alone convicted) of any crimes.

All that's being asked is that he co-operates with an investigation, which is something he said he would do and now seems to be trying to worm out of. He needs to 'man up', speak with the FBI & tell them everything he knows about the sex trafficker who he doesn't regret being friends with.
I dont think that he's going to do that. He made such a mess of defending himself on TV, Im sure that the Royal advisers are nervous of what stupid things he might say to the FBI...even if he's not guity of anything...
besides, its pretty obvious that Andrew doesn't notice things that much He may well feel that he doesn't remember anything that might be helpful so its best not ot put himself into talking with a bunch of FBI agents. HIs arrogant attitude that he just expects there to be "people around him" and his rich friends, who are - servants, masseurs, asistants, dogsbodies … and he does not really see such people.. so he is not likely to come out with anything helpful.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:46 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
its pretty obvious that Andrew doesn't notice things that much He may well feel that he doesn't remember anything that might be helpful so its best not ot put himself into talking with a bunch of FBI agents. HIs arrogant attitude that he just expects there to be "people around him" and his rich friends, who are - servants, masseurs, asistants, dogsbodies … and he does not really see such people.. so he is not likely to come out with anything helpful.
Sadly, this rings very true. The 1% clearly see one another in the room, but the average person of lesser social status may as well merge into the wallpaper.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I dont think that he's going to do that. He made such a mess of defending himself on TV, Im sure that the Royal advisers are nervous of what stupid things he might say to the FBI...even if he's not guity of anything...
besides, its pretty obvious that Andrew doesn't notice things that much He may well feel that he doesn't remember anything that might be helpful so its best not ot put himself into talking with a bunch of FBI agents. HIs arrogant attitude that he just expects there to be "people around him" and his rich friends, who are - servants, masseurs, asistants, dogsbodies … and he does not really see such people.. so he is not likely to come out with anything helpful.
He could waffle, say he doesn't remember things, be oblivious to staff etc but as long as tells the truth, he'll have done his duty to those victims and having done that, he might fade a bit from the press coverage.

However, maybe he knows more than he's willing to admit, which is why he's avoiding the FBI. His appalling interview and his reluctance to co-operate is pointing the public to this scenario.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
He could waffle, say he doesn't remember things, be oblivious to staff etc but as long as tells the truth, he'll have done his duty to those victims and having done that, he might fade a bit from the press coverage.

However, maybe he knows more than he's willing to admit, which is why he's avoiding the FBI. His appalling interview and his reluctance to co-operate is pointing the public to this scenario.
I should say the powers that be don't want him to talk because he IS so stupid.. he will make an awful impression. and if he doesn't remember or notice anything, what's the point of his talking?
Old 01-28-2020, 02:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Just as a general point which is not about Andrew, because readers here who are residing in the United States may one day be asked to talk to the police themselves: In America, it is strongly suggested by many legal professionals not to talk to the police, even if one is innocent.
Yes but as you and many point out -- this does not apply to Andrew. He is not being arrested. This is a man who went on TV and then later issued a press statement saying he would cooperate if asked. He has been asked and he is avoiding it. So again I ask... for a many who claims to be innocent why is he acting guilty? Don't make a show of it when you had no intention. It is not a good look and only brings more questions.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

I notice there is a lot of talk about what could and would possibly happen should Andrew go to USA.

But surely it's possible for FBI to send someone to Britain to talk to Andrew there?
So, what's the problem? For Andrew as well as the FBI.

For Andrew he would be in a "safe" environment, surrounded by legal advisors and protected by British law in regards to him being questioned.
And FBI can ask the necessary questions, with some limitations, even if, repeat if, they are trying to build a case against him.
The most important difference, as I see it, is that FBI can't detain him - not that they would anyway IMO.

FBI can move on with their investigation and Andrew can clear his name and assist the authorities in their investigations, - as he has said he will.
So what's keeping Andrew and FBI from having a chat?
Old 01-28-2020, 11:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Let me get this right.

It's acceptable for the US to refuse to extradite someone accused of causing the death of teenage motorcyclist Harry Dunn in England, but Prince Andrew MUST go to the US to give evidence? Both individuals 'enjoy' Diplomatic Immunity.

Does anybody else see this as strangely 'unequal' ?
I agree with you 100% on this. Anne Sacoolas caused another person's death and she should be extradited.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yeah the US claim that Anne's husband was a diplomat (which he wasn't) and therefore she is covered by diplomatic immunity (which she is not). Oh and Trump suggesting that its unavoidable as those darn Brits drive on the opposite side of the road.

Maybe the Brits should turn the tables and claim Andrew has diplomatic immunity as well. Make a trade you want our diplomatically immune possible pedophile, we want your diplomatically immune reckless driver who killed someone (proven and not suspicion).
Old 01-29-2020, 01:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
And FBI can ask the necessary questions, with some limitations, even if, repeat if, they are trying to build a case against him.
The most important difference, as I see it, is that FBI can't detain him - not that they would anyway IMO.
As the FBI investigates federal crimes, there isn't anything even remotely that suggests that they'd be investigating Andrew unless they had specific information that leads them to believe that Andrew, himself, was actually involved in the sex trafficking of women.

The allegations that Andrew had sex with an underage woman is not a federal crime and wouldn't be part of an FBI investigation. As the Met Police have decided not to pursue their investigation into the allegations, right there it nulls and voids conditions for extradition to the US.

Its my thinking that the only thing holding Andrew back from cooperating with the FBI is Andrew himself. He's not as forthcoming as he led people to believe he is.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:19 AM
Majesty

Oh hardly. Situations such as these are handled on a diplomatic level and, from what the Met has stated, he is not the subject of the case but rather someone who "might" know something of value. For that they could fly to the UK.

The Diplomatic relations between the UK and the US are at an all time low. Andrew, the two Bill's Donald and even MBS et al, may also "know something" but we don't hear they are lining up to speak with the FBI.

However, I would imagine the request to interview Andrew smacks of "he's not one of us" and the FBI sniping via The Guardian et al will only incense Whitehall and the Foreign office who would expect to have been formally approached by the State Department ad is the norm for such cases.

Since they are basically insulting the Diplomats whose preview this falls under and Andrew himself does not have an international warrant out, I expect he will have been advised by both the FO and the Met not be a gullible fool who fly off to NY and allow himself to be done over like a dogs dinner.

MBS orders journalists murdered and personally engages in cyber warfare and he's not being dragged in the media.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:46 AM
Serene Highness

"Can Andrew be forced to testify?" - from the BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51283976
Old 01-29-2020, 08:47 AM
Serene Highness

The Duke of York is said to be “angry and bewildered” about claims he has failed to cooperate with US investigators over the Jeffrey Epstein inquiry, saying he has not been approached to speak about the case.

The New York state attorney, Geoffrey Berman, has accused Prince Andrew of “zero cooperation” and not responding to requests by the FBI and US lawyers for an interview over his friendship with the disgraced financier.

Andrew is “more than happy to talk [but] hasn’t been approached by them yet,” sources insisted.

Buckingham Palace refused to comment on Berman’s claims, made at a news conference in New York on Monday, saying the matter was being dealt with by the prince’s legal team.

According to sources, Andrew is “committed to the legal process”. One reportedly said: “He is angry about the way this is being portrayed and bewildered as to why this was said in New York.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...pstein-inquiry
Old 01-29-2020, 01:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The Duke of York is said to be “angry and bewildered” about claims he has failed to cooperate with US investigators over the Jeffrey Epstein inquiry, saying he has not been approached to speak about the case.

The New York state attorney, Geoffrey Berman, has accused Prince Andrew of “zero cooperation” and not responding to requests by the FBI and US lawyers for an interview over his friendship with the disgraced financier.

Andrew is “more than happy to talk [but] hasn’t been approached by them yet,” sources insisted.

Buckingham Palace refused to comment on Berman’s claims, made at a news conference in New York on Monday, saying the matter was being dealt with by the prince’s legal team.

According to sources, Andrew is “committed to the legal process”. One reportedly said: “He is angry about the way this is being portrayed and bewildered as to why this was said in New York.”

Sorry, when it was Andrew v. Virginia he said/she said, the argument could be made that Andrew was telling the truth and Virginia wasn’t. When a prosecutor says Andrew isn’t cooperating - the prosecutor isn’t making that up.
As for why Andrew’s legal team is dragging their feet on this - who knows, but my suspicion is that they are targeting Ghislaine and if Andrew lies about his dealings with her and knowledge of her and of Epstein’s activities he opens himself up to charges of a different sort. Remember Martha Stewart wasn’t convicted of insider trading, she was basically convicted of lying to investigators.
Interesting times ahead for the Queen’s second son.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Interesting.
Surely they didn't approach him via a postcard?

There must be channels and procedures for wishing to question a foreigner, residing in a foreign country. Especially a prominent member of a royal family.
And both the FBI and the New York State Attorney must be familiar with them.
So whatever is going on, it doesn't make sense to me.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Interesting.
Surely they didn't approach him via a postcard?

There must be channels and procedures for wishing to question a foreigner, residing in a foreign country. Especially a prominent member of a royal family.
And both the FBI and the New York State Attorney must be familiar with them.
So whatever is going on, it doesn't make sense to me.
Quick correction - it was a federal prosecutor not a NY state prosecutor, as far as I know this is strictly a federal investigation.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
First and foremost, Andrew would actually have to be accused of a crime, arrested and indicted on that crime before standing trial. The crime would have to be recognized as a crime in both the US and the UK and carry a penalty of a year or more jail time.

Well I was speaking hypothetically - I don't think they'll really charge him with anything. But if what the girl is claiming is true, that she was trafficked and was having sex with Andrew against her will she is accusing him of something that is a crime in both the US and the UK. Her age wouldn't matter if she were being trafficked.