The Prince Andrew and Jeffrey Epstein Controversy 1: 2010-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well according to this the Queen is helping foot the bill.

I'd rather not trust any information coming from a Twitter account and any article that marks itself "exclusive".

It is the norm for newspapers to maintain a Twitter account and to use it to share links to their stories. At the same time, I can't see a reason not to post a direct link to the newspaper article.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/02/15/queen-help-pay-12m-prince-andrew-settlement/

The story is by Victoria Ward and Josie Ensor. No source is disclosed, although the Telegraph is a generally reliable newspaper (and regarded as pro-monarchy, which may explain why a source with royal connections (if that is the case) would disclose information to it exclusively).

The terms of the deal prevent either side from discussing the case or the settlement itself in public.

However, The Telegraph understands the total amount that will go to Ms Guiffre, who was trafficked by the paedophile Jeffrey Epstein, and her charity exceeds £12 million.

The Queen has already privately funded the Duke's legal fight to the tune of millions of pounds and will now partly fund the settlement [...]

Negotiations over the settlement are understood to have lasted for at least 10 days, with the Duke's team changing tack when the date for his deposition – which would have seen him questioned under oath by Ms Guiffre's legal team – was set for March 10.

[...]

The deal was agreed at the weekend, the Telegraph understands. A source said: "After his deposition, he would likely have been so damaged that no one could save him or agree to fund his settlement."

[...]

Instead, he pledged to "demonstrate his regret" for his association with Epstein by supporting the "fight against the evils of sex trafficking, and by supporting its victims". Such support is understood to be shown, in the main, by his financial donation.

[...]

Although a line has now been drawn under the legal process, he is not expected to regain any of his royal privileges or titles. He will keep his dukedom and the Windsor home, Royal Lodge, that he shares with his former wife the Duchess of York.

[...]

However, he is not expected to take part in any further public events or celebrations linked to the Jubilee for the rest of the year after being advised to keep his head down.

[...]

Until late last year, the Duke had privately expressed his desire to return to public duties, adamant that he would clear his name. However, it is now accepted that he will be forever tainted by the case.

Although 99 per cent of civil cases in the US are settled out of court, the decision to pay off his accuser rather than fighting to clear his name in court is likely to be seen by the public as an admission of guilt.

Any comeback would have to be many years down the line and would only be possible if there was a significant change in public opinion, the Duke's advisers accept.

The Queen's contribution to the settlement will come from her private Duchy of Lancaster estate, which recently increased by £1.5 million to more than £23 million.

If the information is correct, it sounds as if the promise of financial assistance was used to induce the Duke to reach a settlement quickly before going through deposition.

£12 million converts to approximately $16 million.

Last edited:
It seems to be getting bigger and bigger - £7.5million, then £10million now £12million. I'm sure the Queen will be helping finance it from her own private funds, even if just in the short term. I assume Andrew will likely have to pay over all money from the chalet sale and any other savings he has.

I feel so evil to say this, I'm kind of disappointed that he ends up with settlement after the bravado of "let's go to trial", mainly because I want to see how it would unfold and how far he'd make a fool of himself (again). And yes, I feel bad for thinking like that.

As for DoE's memorial service, he's his father so he has right to be there and I think he should be there. It's just sad that with his presence, the press (and social media) will make it about him instead of about the late Duke ....

VG's lawyers surely have a good strategy for doing this lawysuit so close to the Jubilee. More possibility of forcing settlement because the BRF will not want any legal battle to tarnish the celebration.

It is the norm for newspapers to maintain a Twitter account and to use it to share links to their stories. At the same time, I can't see a reason not to post a direct link to the newspaper article.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/02/15/queen-help-pay-12m-prince-andrew-settlement/

The story is by Victoria Ward and Josie Ensor. No source is disclosed, although the Telegraph is a generally reliable newspaper (and regarded as pro-monarchy, which may explain why a source with royal connections (if that is the case) would disclose information to it exclusively).

If the information is correct, it sounds as if the promise of financial assistance was used to induce the Duke to reach a settlement quickly before going through deposition.

£12 million converts to approximately $16 million.

I doubt the settlement was as high as $16 million. Just as a comparison, not adjusting for inflation, that is probably bigger than Prince Harry's inheritance from his mother for example.

It seems to be getting bigger and bigger - £7.5million, then £10million now £12million. I'm sure the Queen will be helping finance it from her own private funds, even if just in the short term. I assume Andrew will likely have to pay over all money from the chalet sale and any other savings he has.

These amounts are insane! Even for a very rich family. - Especially for someone who claims to be innocent...

A few thoughts springs to mind:
A) It has been estimated that the cost of a trial, including lawyers and the case perhaps going against you will surpass even the smallest of these amounts.
And/or
B) It has been estimated that Andrew would be slaughtered appearing at a trial and that the damages awarded combined with the PR-damage to the family would considerably surpass these amounts.

On top of that it is of course in the interest of the family to close this case, almost regardless of costs.
Whether that is possible is of course debatable.

No matter what, to raise such an amount, assets will have to be sold off.
The BRF is a rich family, but even 7.5 million £ is a dent that can be felt!
I don't know what the equivalent would be for an ordinary British family, probably something in the order of spending the summer holidays in Blackpool for the next few years, rather than going to Mauritius.

I doubt uncle Andrew will win a popularity contest within the BRF any decade soon.

Last edited:
If only he'd issued this statement back in 2019, instead of giving that car-crash interview to the BBC. He might have been able to salvage his reputation, and avoid being exiled from royal life.

Will he be able to come back now, if he continues to show remorse and humility? Or is he done and out for good? And is the remorse real, or just a carefully crafted legal statement?

My great hope is that Andrew has developed at least something...an ability to self reflect, humility, spiritual values... just ANYTHING from this sordid episode that has cost him and his family so much.

He has been stripped of almost everything except Fergie, their children and grandchildren. If all the humiliation and rejection was for nothing and he continues on as the same old Andrew it would be a shame.

:sad:

My great hope is that Andrew has developed at least something...an ability to self reflect, humility, spiritual values... just ANYTHING from this sordid episode that has cost him and his family so much.

He has been stripped of almost everything except Fergie, their children and grandchildren. If all the humiliation and rejection was for nothing and he continues on as the same old Andrew it would be a shame.

:sad:

Andrew and Fergie are both and always were libertines. Always were, but the press went easy until the Johnny Bryan/Fergie topless toe-suck photos.

Humility, self-reflection and spiritual values are the perfect words and phrases to describe John Profumo. Not Andrew.

It might have been Pss Eugenie's experience in LA that made Andrew realize he had to pull the plug on the trial.

:previous: Princess Eugenie's experience in L.A.?

She attended the game with her cousin Harry and appeared to have a relaxing time.

What did I miss, and how are Andrew's problems connected to it?:sad:

The overwhelming response on my UK social media is that £12 million is a huge sum to pay to someone you've never met for something you categorically didn't do.

The other thing flying around is that polls conducted amongst York residents show over 80% want his title removed as his association with their city is now extremely unwelcome.

The other thing flying around is that polls conducted amongst York residents show over 80% want his title removed as his association with their city is now extremely unwelcome.

I believe this is the poll you are referring to. It is necessary to clarify that the poll participants were not a representative sample of York residents.

It was simply a poll on the website of the York Press (which has been reporting on calls from several York politicians to remove the dukedom), in which any reader of the website could choose to vote (or not).

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/19848625.vote-majority-press-readers-want-duke-york-lose-title/

My guess is that those inside or outside York who strongly favor removing the dukedom are overrepresented in the poll. They would be more likely to click on the articles about the dukedom issue and to vote in the poll than those who are indifferent.

The MP for York Central and the York City Councillor who previously called for the dukedom to be removed have repeated their call.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/19926920.calls-grow-andrew-lose-duke-york-title/

I don't believe the settlement figure - as I was told she wanted more.
That been said I have been told that it is a 'loan' from Prince Charles. So it is either something against money he will get from the sale of the chalet or from inheritance he will get the future. Again - how do they know this ? so who cares.

I don't believe the settlement figure - as I was told she wanted more.
That been said I have been told that it is a 'loan' from Prince Charles. So it is either something against money he will get from the sale of the chalet or from inheritance he will get the future. Again - how do they know this ? so who cares.

The total annual income that Prince Charles gets from the Duchy of Cornwall is, I think, around £22 million. So, £12 million would be a huge amount even for him.

The lawyer Lisa Bloom. She said it on GB News here in UK. The newscaster pressed her on it and she seemed to be pretty certain there was no NDA.

Apparently Lisa Bloom's certainty stood on the absence of a statement about an NDA. I am not convinced that the absence of a public statement about a non-disclosure agreement is proof that none exists.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...lement-gb-news-nda-disclosure-latest-video-vn

However, Virginia Giuffre's attorney David Boies has now confirmed there is no non-disclosure agreement.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17663925/royals-bracing-tell-all-book-prince-andrew-virginia/

Ms Giuffre’s lawyer David Boies said: "The settlement amount is confidential, but there's no NDA.

"If the people of the UK want to know where the money has come from they could get that from Andrew."

Which invites the question of why anonymous sources in the Duke's camp have been suggesting to the media that there is a gag order.

Interesting. Is the original Times report accessible online?

Now further details of the deal have emerged, including claims it has been agreed that Miss Giuffre will continue to tell her story publicly - but not until later in the year, so as not to add further damage to the Royal Family during events to commemorate the monarch's 70 years on the throne, the Times reports.

[...]

Sources told the newspaper there would be a 'period of silence' when both parties would have to stick to the terms of a carefully worded statement.

Beyond the Jubilee celebrations however, Miss Giuffre is expected to be allowed to public a book telling her story at the end of the year.​

If the anonymous sources who spoke to the Times are correct, then I suppose both Ms. Giuffre's side and the Duke's side could be telling the truth, if there is a temporary agreed period of silence but not a permanent non-disclosure agreement.

An article by Russell Myers repeats the figure of £12million and breaks it down. Again, no source is disclosed.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-andrews-12million-sex-abuse-26240437

The Mirror understands the total settlement of £12m includes £2m to the charity, leaving her with £10m.

[...]

It is understood Andrew will make the £12m payment from the recent sale of his chalet in Switzerland.

Like the prince's representatives, Buckingham Palace declined to comment on the source of the settlement funds.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prince-andrew-settlement-money-giuffre-b2015939.html

Donal McCabe, the Queen’s private communications secretary, told The Independent: “We have never commented on the funding of the Duke’s legal matters and won’t be now.”​

Regarding the Settlement, I do believe anything between 12-20 million is possible. Princess Diana's divorce settlement was for *around* 22 million, way back in 1996. So, would 15 million plus now be unlikely ? Supposedly, the Queen helped out Charles back then too.

Not in my opinion, Virginia, her Lawyers and the "donation" to Women's Victims Groups. All hit a payday. I bet the Queen had to dip into her own Money to bail out Andrew. Don't forget, his Legal Team was pricey too.
Now reading different comments on the Daily Mail and elsewhere, questions are being raised as to where the money to settle this is coming from. Andrew is a deeply polarizing pariah, and if the Family is smart, let him attend the Memorial Service for his Father at Westminster Abbey next Month, then mothball him for the Jubilee.
Yes, hopefully out of sight out of mind. No good can come of him on the public stage. Only more stories, scrutiny and questions of his odious "friendships" and arrogant personality-behaviour.

I was surprised too that there seems to be still bitterness and division over Camilla assuming the Title Of Queen. It bubbled up again when The Queen said it was her hope and wish for Camilla to be known as Queen Consort last week. Then there is the ongoing drama with the never-ending antics of the Sussex's too. And what bombshell allegations Harry is going to claim in his forthcoming book.
The Royal Family does not need these endless controversies. Andrew IS something they can manage by keeping him away. Its not like he is going to Prison. He lives an unbelievablely very rich and privileged lifestyle. He needs to become a totally "private" individual.

So, in short Andrew needs to retire from ALL public life. No Balcony, no Carriages either. No Jubilee Events.
He is to divisive and is now going to pay the price for his deplorable friendship with Epstein. He refused to sever ties, and now he will pay the price.
Andrew ALSO better hope that there aren't more Virginia's out there ......

Last edited:
Honestly, if all the media is saying 10-12 million.... I think it is actually more. They leaked that sum on purpose. It is a massive figure but likely still lesser than the reality.

The overwhelming response on my UK social media is that £12 million is a huge sum to pay to someone you've never met for something you categorically didn't do.

If its really bohtering them so much, they need to find an MP to put through a private members Bill.

The total annual income that Prince Charles gets from the Duchy of Cornwall is, I think, around £22 million. So, £12 million would be a huge amount even for him.

Why would Charles pay it? Im sure that Andrews lawyers have done their best to get it to an affordable amount, and that Andrew has a lot of his own money salted away, the rest would be paid by the queen

Regarding the Settlement, I do believe anything between 12-20 million is possible. Princess Diana's divorce settlement was for *around* 22 million, way back in 1996. So, would 15 million plus now be unlikely ? Supposedly, the Queen helped out Charles back then too.

Not in my opinion, Virginia, her Lawyers and the "donation" to Women's Victims Groups. All hit a payday. I bet the Queen had to dip into her own Money to bail out Andrew. Don't forget, his Legal Team was pricey too.
Now reading different comments on the Daily Mail and elsewhere, questions are being raised as to where the money to settle this is coming from. Andrew is a deeply polarizing pariah, and if the Family is smart, let him attend the Memorial Service for his Father at Westminster Abbey next Month, then mothball him for the Jubilee.
Yes, hopefully out of sight out of mind. No good can come of him on the public stage. Only more stories, scrutiny and questions of his odious "friendships" and arrogant personality-behaviour.

I was surprised too that there seems to be still bitterness and division over Camilla assuming the Title Of Queen. It bubbled up again when The Queen said it was her hope and wish for Camilla to be known as Queen Consort last week. Then there is the ongoing drama with the never-ending antics of the Sussex's too. And what bombshell allegations Harry is going to claim in his forthcoming book.
The Royal Family does not need these endless controversies. Andrew IS something they can manage by keeping him away. Its not like he is going to Prison. He lives an unbelievablely very rich and privileged lifestyle. He needs to become a totally "private" individual.

So, in short Andrew needs to retire from ALL public life. No Balcony, no Carriages either. No Jubilee Events.
He is to divisive and is now going to pay the price for his deplorable friendship with Epstein. He refused to sever ties, and now he will pay the price.
Andrew ALSO better hope that there aren't more Virginia's out there ......

Cant see that Andrew is divisive. Very few people are defending him.. most feel it is right that he should make a payment and shut up the scandal.. and then keep up his life of retirement. Who is asking for anything different.

Now the Firm is under controle
1) Prince Charles will be the next King and his wife Camilla will be Queen
2) The Prince Andrew Affair found an issue
3) Prince Harry book is for December
Now the 70 Jubilee may start !

Not sure what Harry has to do with anytiing but glad that Andrew has sorted out things. The woman deserves a pay off but I hope that there is an NDA in place.

These amounts are insane! Even for a very rich family. - Especially for someone who claims to be innocent...
On top of that it is of course in the interest of the family to close this case, almost regardless of costs.

The vast majority of these cases are settled out of court. Andrew could have done all the things, some of the things, or none of the things of which he is accused. Unless the settlement includes an admission of guilt, it is wrong to assume that a settlement is an admission of guilt. It is possible that Andrew did not want any unsavory details about himself to be revealed in open court, and so he decided to settle. It is also possible that Virginia Giuffre did not want certain unsavory details about her own behaviour revealed in court, either. Perhaps her lawyer suggested that this was the best they could do. She didn't need to settle, however; she could have had her day in court. By settling, she avoids having to share details about her own behaviour and at the same time denies Andrew his day in court, which as we can see, leads to people assuming he is guilty. This, plus the money, may have been the result she wanted all along. We will never know.

I am sure that both of them ddi not relish the idea of a court case. She wants money, he wants the whole mess to go away

Is not all the money she gets from Prince Andrew going to a charity? I looked and get double talk. Some media sources say it’s going to,charitable organizations, some do not say where the money will go, this link below has me questioning that she may keep part while part goes to ???

https://fortune.com/2022/02/16/prin...6-million-queen-royal-family-jeffrey-epstein/

If the Queen is helping monetarily at all, and it’s from her private monies which I am sure it is, I do not see why she should reveal that. That is private. I don’t think the Queen would use money from England or from her people. That’s JMOO.

Is not all the money she gets from Prince Andrew going to a charity? I looked and get double talk. Some media sources say it’s going to,charitable organizations, some do not say where the money will go, this link below has me questioning that she may keep part while part goes to ???

https://fortune.com/2022/02/16/prin...6-million-queen-royal-family-jeffrey-epstein/

If the Queen is helping monetarily at all, and it’s from her private monies which I am sure it is, I do not see why she should reveal that. That is private. I don’t think the Queen would use money from England or from her people. That’s JMOO.

No, Andrew is giving her a pay off and is also making a donation to her charity for abuse victims. we dont know where the money is coming from but Im sure that Andrew has some of his own that he has had to dig into, the queen is soft on him but I doubt if she would pay the whole thing.

No, Andrew is giving her a pay off and is also making a donation to her charity for abuse victims. we dont know where the money is coming from but Im sure that Andrew has some of his own that he has had to dig into, the queen is soft on him but I doubt if she would pay the whole thing.

Bearing in mind the circumstances I think it's unseemly for the Queen to be helping him pay this woman off. It will tarnish her in the eyes of many people.

Bearing in mind the circumstances I think it's unseemly for the Queen to be helping him pay this woman off. It will tarnish her in the eyes of many people.
why? Would you rather that Andrew was in court, answering embarrassing questions about his stupid behaviour, or arguing with Virgina Guiffree and trying to badmouth her? Andrew should nevr have gotten involved with this girl, and the best thing he can do is pay her off and keep on leading a quiet life.

I bet the Queen had to dip into her own Money to bail out Andrew. Don't forget, his Legal Team was pricey too.

Yeah, his team of lawyers! Good lawyers and pricey!

And why again, now that he settles anyway?

Honestly, I don't get his defense strategy! He was pulled through the public, the case made serious headlines - his image is tarnished forever. He could have had this much cheaper!

Yeah, his team of lawyers! Good lawyers and pricey!

And why again, now that he settles anyway?

Honestly, I don't get his defense strategy! He was pulled through the public, the case made serious headlines - his image is tarnished forever. He could have had this much cheaper!

What do you mean? If he went to court, it would probably cost him a lot more in the end, plus it would add to his tarnished image. Even if he had said nothing about the affair Guiffre would still have gone after him and he would have to deal with her one way or the other. She probalby wanted money more than having her day in court, so she would in the end settle... He does not want to pay out money but paying lawyers is even more expensive over time.... and now hopefully he has arranged a settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom