Second son for Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank -Ernest George Ronnie; May 30

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biri

Imperial Majesty
City
Warsaw
Country
Poland
A big announcement from a new mother on her Instagram account of a birth of her second son, Ernest George Ronnie Brooksbank, on 30 May at 8.49 weighing 7.1lbs.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtHP0o6o6oi/

Congrats to her, the father, big brother and all grandparents!

Welcome to the world, Ernest Brooksbank!?

Last edited:
What happy news! Congrats to the York and Brooksbank families!:flowers:

Congratulations! I don't think any of us had Ernest on their bingo cards as a name ;)

Why Ronnie and not stick with the formal Ronald?

Last edited:
Congratulations! I don't think any of us had Ernest on their bingo cards as a name ;)

Where does the Ronnie fit? It sounds about as regal as Archie :(

It's after Major Ronald Ferguson, Eugenie's grandfather. I don't know why they've called him Ronnie rather than Ronald!

Welcome Ernest!!!!!

wow I really didn't expect that name

Congratulations to Princess Eugenie and Jack and family!

Lovely for Eugenie and Jack Had a few George's in my family and husbands. Also
knew a few Ronnie and Ernest. Love the old fashion names.

Congratulations to Eugenie and Jack on the safe arrival of little Ernest!

Congratulations to Eugenie and Jack!

The name was a suprise but it sounds very well together with August!

Congratulations to Eugenie, Jack and August!
The name is completely unexpected but I like the sibset August and Ernest!
Welcome little Ernest Brooksbank!

Ps. Has Buckingham Palace announced the birth, considering the announced the pregnancy IIRC?

It's after Major Ronald Ferguson, Eugenie's grandfather. I don't know why they've called him Ronnie rather than Ronald!

Neither do I. I don't care for "Ronnie"...too informal.

Will the Palace make an announcement as well?

Another first name with a British royal precedent: Augustus Frederick (Duke of Sussex) and Ernest Augustus (Duke of Cumberland and King of Hanover) were sons of King George III.

[Deleted comment]

Perhaps Ronald was known as Ronnie to his family. King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden bestowed his son with the name Carl Philip Edmund Bertil. The name Edmund was given in honor of the king's father Gustaf Adolf Oscar Fredrik Arthur Edmund, who was known to the public as Prince Gustaf Adolf but always used the name Edmund in private life.

Last edited:
I think he was known as Ron, but Ernest George Ron doesn't really work either.

It says the baby is named George (George V?) after his great great great grandfather and after Jack’s father George.

I don’t like the name Ernest. Ernest Brooksbank is a bit of a mouthful. I wonder will the call him Ernie, they call August Augie.

Ernest, like his great-great-great-great-great grand uncle, Ernest II Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

Last edited:
It says the baby is named George (George V?) after his great great great grandfather and after Jack’s father George.

I apologize. I did not read the post because I assumed people would have commented on every detail.

It states:

Jack and I wanted to share the news that we had our little boy, Ernest George Ronnie Brooksbank on 30th May 2023 at 8.49 weighing 7.1 lbs.

He is named after his great great great Grandfather George, his Grandpa George and my Grandpa Ronald.

Augie is loving being a big brother already.

Yes, interesting to specifically name the child after George V (unless "his great great great Grandfather George" refers to some other great-great grandfather of Eugenie or Jack) in addition to George Brooksbank, when there is a more closely related king with that name (George VI).

Congratulations to Eugenie, Jack, August and the entire family. Wonderful news.

Ernest was named in a similar pattern to his brother. They honored a royal ancestor by choosing a middle name. August was for Prince Albert.

Ernest: For George V aka George Frederick Ernest Albert
George: for George Brooksbank, his late grandfather
Ronnie: for Eugenie's maternal grandfather

Actually quite fitting. The two brothers are in a way named for two brothers.

George V was named for his godfathers. George (Duke of Cambridge as well as George V of Hannover), Frederick (future Frederick VIII of Denmark), Ernest (Ernest II, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Ernest of Leningen).

So Auggie honors Prince Albert (Franz August Karl Albert Emmanuel) and his baby brother honors Albert's older brother Ernest Augustus Charles John Leopold Alexander Edward via his godson George V.

Strange that they waited almost a week with the announcement.

That's lovely news - and how nice for them to be able to keep the news private for a few days.

However, I don't care for 'Ronnie' as one of his names instead of Ronald.

Yes, interesting to specifically name the child after George V (unless "his great great great Grandfather George" refers to some other great-great grandfather of Eugenie or Jack) in addition to George Brooksbank, when there is a more closely related king with that name (George VI).

George of Wales is presumably named after George VI, and additionally, George VI's name was not George, but Albert/Bertie.

I apologize. I did not read the post because I assumed people would have commented on every detail.

It states:

Eugenie has 2 great-great grandfathers named George. George I of Greece (father of Andrew) and George V (father of George VI)

But only one of those men could have contributed the name Ernest to the baby. George V has Ernest as a middle name to honor 2 of his godfathers. One of whom was the older brother of Prince Albert. Fitting as August's name comes from the middle name of Prince Albert.

Since George was to honor Jack's dad, they went with a middle name (like August) for the first name. George V was Albert Frederick Arthur George. Maybe they simply preferred Ernest over George V"s middle names. Or the secondary connection to Albert's older brother, was a deciding factor.

Two little boys now for the Brooksbank family! Welcome, little Ernest George Ronnie, and many congratulations to his parents!. In a week in which we?ve seen two other little brothers in arms together in Luxembourg this is extra special!

Andrew and Fergie had two girls but, with Wolfie, there are now three grandsons! And I don’t think anyone expected Ernest to be a choice! Two very unusual names.

I don’t like the name Ernest. Ernest Brooksbank is a bit of a mouthful. I wonder will the call him Ernie, they call August Augie.

Neither do I.
O well, their child, their choice.

It was popular about 100 years ago. Some names from that generation are back in fashion - Albert, Arthur - but Ernest isn't.

Ernest is a very old fashioned name that hasn’t really become newly fashionable or vogue again in England, like some Victorian names for example. I think the parents just liked the sound of Augie and Ernie together. They sure like unusual names!

Wonder if people will keep mentioning The Importance of Being Earnest?

That was the first thing I thought of.

Congratulations!!

Great news all is well. She loves her Georgian, Hanoverian names…they aren’t even Victorian.

Only one of the Queens Grand children to go with very very traditional royal names. William’ are traditional but frequently used today as well. All the others went for modern and one which is made up.

Back
Top Bottom