Sarah's Interviews and Television Appearances

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Losing weight seems to be the highest virtue these days.:ermm: I think that Sarah's weight became an issue during her pregnancy with Beatrice. She gained a lot and dressed in a way that didn't flatter her. She had dresses altered which didn't hang properly, for example. Before that time, her day clothes were okay (and very, very nice sometimes) it was her evening wear that could sometimes be bizarre.

As for the hypothetical Charlie, people would probably say he was unhappy and that's why he got thin.;)

But, of course, I was never speaking particularly as a group to posters here on TRF, anyway. It was meant as referring to the wider world audience. ..We don't say that about a man after his marriage - oh, look, Charlie is thinner now!

Well OWN is a fledgling network so doubt if anyone on their shows is too highly paid,at least not in terms of what one would be paid by the major networks. Also Sarah really is not a big name/big draw in the US who could demand a major salary. $200K was probably pretty good given her position. Normally scandal sells but people have to be familiar with who you are in order for you to capitalize on the scandal. Sarah's scandal was really a UK story and her show was for the US market.

I posted this back on May 15:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/sarah-duchess-of-york-current-events-15-january-2011-may-2011-a-29718.html
I would consider Sarah's show to be on par with the "RealHousewives" series(es) in the US. The RealHousewivesof NY get paid $10,000 per episode, a payraise from their first season of $3,333 per episode. The real payoff for anyone on one of these "reality" series is exposure, to introduce them or expand their visibility. In other words, it's to market oneself to a wider audience and hopefully parlay that exposure into bigger and better things.

Sarah's a bit of an anomaly in that regard: she's been well known for a long period of time but that has been fading. (By way of reference, I work in an international finance firm, and my team consists of twenty-somethings who report up through several levels to me. We talked about the Royal wedding because at our Friday meeting on that day, I asked that scones be substituted for bagels to "celebrate." I had to actually sit down and explain to the under-30 set exactly who Sarah was; most had her confused with Camilla or, honestly, thought she was dead. Mind you, we hire the absolute cream of the crop each year from top schools, so these are not under-the-rock specimens.) So - Sarah might have been able to command the top end of the reality show pay scale per episode - let's say $10K per - rather than the low end of the scale.

The core cast of the Jersey Shore got popped up from $30K to $100K for the new season, but the ratings on that show are many multiples of Oprah's show. Any of Oprah's shows.

So if I were to guess, I'd say $10K per show for Sarah Ferguson, with the upside for her being the exposure and hopefully the impression to potential investors in Brand Sarah that she's turned herself around in a meaningful way.
---------------
So flash forward to now, July 29.

Sarah was paid $300,000 for this which in British pounds is £200,000. I think that's where the mixup has occurred.

So Sarah was paid $50,000 per episode for "Finding Sarah." That's top end of the scale for reality shows, on par with the "super hit" (and trust me, I shudder) that is "Jersey Shore."

As my previous post indicates, the payoff for these series(es) is the exposure. Theoretically, that should be the upside. I don't think the exposure has had any upside for Sarah, and in fact I'm pretty confident that there is none whatsoever which is accruing to her.

Last edited:
I edited my post to read: I am always puzzled at the free pass Diana seems to always have gotten with her use of her children to promote her public image (and her 'leaning' on her children, too, particularly William) - while Sarah is being faulted to the nth degree. These two women's strartlingly similar stories have begun to fascinate me.

In regards my points - your comments don't enlighten me - but then, this is a thread-nap. The question stands, though. One of my theories is that it is the difference between the swan and the ugly duckling. In our culture, the image of beauty forgives all sins. Were Sarah truly stunning - thin - and knew how to smile into the camera - 'skills' Diana had - I don't think we'd be seeing such a massive negative towards her. Beauty is forgiven.

Respectfully diagree for too many reasons to state. Sarah had a boatload of fans and admirers - once upon a time and she used up all her grace (turns out she doesn't have a whole lot).

Gracefulness and avoiding eager money grubbing is way more important than looks or thinness in this equation.

I just read on another thread that the sum of money Sarah apparently made on 'Finding Sarah' was $200,000 - total. I am stunned. That's peanuts! If it was a one-shot deal I would have thought more like $800,000, approaching a miliion or more - $200,000 per episode would have made sense. She did all of that for $200,000 - that works out to about $30,000 an episode. Eeek!

Given the above I think there had to be an idea that if it was a success there would be more. Had to have been - at such a low remuneration. Too bad.

BTW, heartening to hear that Sarah's chubbiness was not an issue for folks here. I never did pay attention to Sarah - I couldn't relate to her 'heartiness' in the early days and so as a result she has always been in the periphery of my awareness. I don't really know much about her - so its interesting to hear about her now.

That figure doesn't include her hotel, airfare and other expenses (therapy and trainer). So the whole package is closer to your estimate. She got a month or two of free vacation and various forms of assistance plus $200,00. I don't know what the average 50 year old British female makes (with Sarah's level of education) but in California, with her eduction, that would be about what a woman would make in 5-6 years.

Let's see if she can go that long without "working" again.

Losing weight seems to be the highest virtue these days.:ermm: I think that Sarah's weight became an issue during her pregnancy with Beatrice. She gained a lot and dressed in a way that didn't flatter her. She had dresses altered which didn't hang properly, for example. Before that time, her day clothes were okay (and very, very nice sometimes) it was her evening wear that could sometimes be bizarre.

As for the hypothetical Charlie, people would probably say he was unhappy and that's why he got thin.;)

Even during Sarah's "breath of fresh air" period before and right after she married the Duke of York, when the press was extremely positive in its coverage of her, Sarah's weight was still an issue.

I remember one incident in particular: The unveiling of Sarah's first wax figure at Madame Tussaud's. A reporter actually jumped the rope, pulled out a tape measure and proceeded to measure the wax image around the hips and then announcing the results. IIRC, the number announced was either 40 or 42 inches. And this was before the wedding!!! There was also much discussion of how the design of her wedding gown would need to "camouflage" Sarah's weight and congratulations given to the designer for doing such a good job. It's terrible how a woman's size is given so much attention, particularly when they are nice and healthy as Sarah was when she became engaged and married.

This is the only issue that I have any sympathy for Sarah about as she has been battered with it from day one. Diana's battle with bulimia obviously did not make too much impression on the media; I'm already seeing and hearing rumours how Kate Cambridge is supposedly anorexic!!!:bang:

That said, the last episode on OWN was deplorable and I no longer even give Sarah York much credit for her performance as a mother. It looked like a fabricated stunt, something which the Queen in particular is said to abhor. Zara can not sell photos of her wedding to a magazine, yet Sarah is providing voyeurism of her daughters in tears on a cable reality show. One would think Sarah would have absorbed something of the BRF's ethos by now, but I think it's hopeless.

She should go to her home in Argentina, have an allowance doled out to her under restrictions of behaviour and it should be administrated by a disinterested financial officer who would not even have the choice of giving her extra money or providing any advances. (Of course, it should be enough for her to live in dignity, but without an excess of luxury.) HM keeps her breakfast cereal in Tupperware while her ex-daughter-in-law takes one lavish holiday after another while she's supposed to be penniless? Sarah is making a farce out of the Yorks and the BRF and the fallout needs to be removed from the shoulders of the two York Princesses as well as their father and the entire BRF.

Argentina just might be far enough away.

According to some stories I have read Sarah bought a home in about 2003 but there was a fire and she moved in with Andrew while it was fixed. Did she sell it? Also a story I read claims she bought a million pound property in Tuscany and she gets rent from it that too was around 2003. I'm just wondering has she sold all this property if not why can't she live in Tuscany if Argentina is too far away and what did she do with the house she owned? The problem I see with an allowance is that I don't believe it will ever be enough. Sarah wants a very lavish lifestyle and I don't see the Queen providing that for her especially considering how the Queen lives herself. I could see Sarah blowing through her allowance in a week then go crying she is broke and can't afford food etc. Something needs to be done or I see the girls financially supporting her and while they have some money they don't have as much as Sarah seems to feel she is worth. I just think Sarah is so greedy nothing will ever be good enough she looks at what her super wealthy friends have and wants that life she seems not to understand she doesn't have the money to support it. If they aren't careful the girls and Andrew are all going to end up as broke as she is!

I recall a time when the comments always were that the gaining of some weight after marriage meant a happy union, particularly for the man - meant his wife was a good cook. ;)

Becoming thin was considered a sign of unhappiness. Thinness was seen as a sign of ill-health, too - not a good sign for a woman. Not all that long ago, either.

Its all because of the camera. It started at the beginning of the 20th century, I once heard it suggested - once women started seeing their image in those massive bustle dresses in photographs. Plus moving pictures changed women's sense of their bodies. Interesting to consider.

I recall a time when the comments always were that the gaining of some weight after marriage meant a happy union, particularly for the man - meant his wife was a good cook. ;)

Becoming thin was considered a sign of unhappiness. Thinness was seen as a sign of ill-health, too - not a good sign for a woman. Not all that long ago, either.

Its all because of the camera. It started at the beginning of the 20th century, I once heard it suggested - once women started seeing their image in those massive bustle dresses in photographs. Plus moving pictures changed women's sense of their bodies. Interesting to consider.

I think you're exactly right about the camera influencing the attitudes about weight. Diana, Princess of Wales was "horrified" (her word) at how "chubby" she felt she looked in her engagement interview. And when she wore the famous black strapless dress, London fashion editors twitted about "Lady Diana needs to realise that puppy fat is pushed up by strapless bodices" In Victorian times, ladies would write to each other bragging about GAINING weight! (Of course, they were also altering their bodies with corsets and tight lacing.)

I don't think Sarah had too much of a complex about her weight before the media banged on about it, either. Now they do the same to her daughters. (Remember Beatrice's bikini?)

On the other hand, Kate Cambridge is now being whispered about for being "too thin". There is no winning at this game - which to bring this back to the thread topic - is another reason why Sarah, Duchess of York should stop trying to use the press to "launch" herself, again and again. They have destroyed her before and they will destroy her again. From John Bryan and toe sucking to the Cash for Access and a few in between.:bang::bang::bang:

Dr. Phil had it right; Sarah is not cut out for public life. The sooner she realises that, the happier she and the rest of the York family will be. When Lord Charteris made his famous "Sarah Ferguson is vulgar, vulgar, vulgar and that is that", comment, he also added that she "is not cut out to be a Royal person in this age or any other". Too bad Sarah didn't take his advice back in the early nineties; it would have saved a lot of pain and embarrassment to the BRF. And the rest of us would get a break from the constant whinging and whining and "I adore Andrew", etc, every time we open a paper or turn on the telly.

Yes, exactly. My husband "fattened up" in the years after our wedding and people mentioned it positively. He needed to gain a few pounds.

I remember reading somewhere that the ideal waist in the Edwardian era was 18 inches, which would fit right in with the camera theory.

Seems to me that Sarah was seen as a "real woman" when she married Andrew and not unnaturally thin like Diana was at that time. I remember Diana being referred to as a "bag of bones" in comparison.

On the other hand, Kate Cambridge is now being whispered about for being "too thin". There is no winning at this game

I sense that this is unpopular here, but the problem in this case is that - from some who have met her and from what I've seen in pictures - she is. There's some strain there - I have my own thoughts having watched this so many times with young women. Not a good sign. What's good about current sensibilities, however, is that there's been a shift to being 'boff' - slender but with good muscle tone, being in shape.

Dr. Phil had it right; Sarah is not cut out for public life.

Dr Phil didn't do that - quite - or not in the show 'Finding Sarah'. He presented two scenarios - saying firstly: you may not be cut out to being a celebrity (or something along those lines) - and there was a significant pause - it felt like he was doing something a-typical for him - actually trying to suggest a course of action. It was an interesting moment. She then reacted at once with a 'no, no, I want it' or some such. Then he continued with the next scenario, he said: Or, you do go for a public life - and I think he said something positive/encouraging, like - you can do it if you really want to - but you have to take the rough with the smooth. He said more very sensible stuff - like a person has to be tough - while she teared up, then recovered and said, yes, of course. But enough of that - just wanted to clarify that.

Last edited:
Don't know how reliable this is...but the London Daily Star is reporting that Sarah has signed to be on Celebrity Big Brother. Does anyone know anything about the program?

I sense that this is unpopular here, but the problem in this case is that - from some who have met her and from what I've seen in pictures - she is. There's some strain there - I have my own thoughts having watched this so many times with young women. Not a good sign. What's good about current sensibilities, however, is that there's been a shift to being 'boff' - slender but with good muscle tone, being in shape.

Dr Phil didn't do that - quite - or not in the show 'Finding Sarah'. He presented two scenarios - saying firstly: you may not be cut out to being a celebrity (or something along those lines) - and there was a significant pause - it felt like he was doing something a-typical for him - actually trying to suggest a course of action. It was an interesting moment. She then reacted at once with a 'no, no, I want it' or some such. Then he continued with the next scenario, he said: Or, you do go for a public life - and I think he said something positive/encouraging, like - you can do it if you really want to - but you have to take the rough with the smooth. He said more very sensible stuff - like a person has to be tough - while she teared up, then recovered and said, yes, of course. But enough of that - just wanted to clarify that.
Actually, I agree with you about Kate. I just think it's way too early for anyone to be speculating about anorexia and bulimia. She is too thin. I'm curious how she'll look after relaxing at Balmoral away from the public eye for a while; she's had quite a schedule since the wedding!

Yes, you're correct. I did watch the program, too - IMHO, Dr. Phil wanted her to understand that he thinks she is not cut out for the celebrity world. I think there were parameters set around how far any of the therapists could go and I'm sure there was some pressure to end her "sessions" with Dr. Phil on a positive note to wrap the series up. He certainly was not his usual blunt self with Sarah; neither was anyone else on the series, including Oprah. The closest we all came to seeing the "real" Sarah, was the Time interview. Thanks for clarifying, I should've made it more clear that I was posting my opinion about Dr. Phil instead of making it sound as though I were directly quoting him.:flowers:

IMHO, Dr. Phil wanted her to understand that he thinks she is not cut out for the celebrity world.

That's what I got from it, too. He was saying it so meaningfully - and the pause - it was unmistakeable what he was suggesting.

Then when he talks about toughness - she's tearing up - its so clear - what an image. Dear me. No insight - 'thick as a plank' keeps coming to mind as a phrase to explain her blind spot. Or is it willful? In fairness most famous people had that as part of their ambition in life - being on stage gives a buzz - so she wants that - no harm - except that she does seem to be harming herself and possibly others - maybe - I'm not quite convinced of that.

I think there were parameters set around how far any of the therapists could go and I'm sure there was some pressure to end her "sessions" with Dr. Phil on a positive note to wrap the series up. He certainly was not his usual blunt self with Sarah; neither was anyone else on the series, including Oprah.

What happened to Suze Ormond? She happened wayyyyy at the beginning - one visit - Sarah gives no answers on screen - I think she bugged out. We saw no therapy taking place around money. We saw no honest discussion regarding money issues.

Dr Phil did have one really serious conversation - remember? It was again wayyyyy at the beginning - maybe in the 2nd episode - when he says to her that she's not being honest. He's starting to shake her up - she's being as slippery as an eel - and he finally says that if she's not going to engage she can walk out, the doors open - he was doing that thing he does to get honesty - except in this case it was a whole series and the person facing him had signed a contract and there was no freedom to walk out. But from that point, I never saw him go into his 'therapeutic' mode.

I really wonder what the behind the scenes story was with that series. One can speculate - it seemed like a good idea, had some very good people - but it spun out - and it started to spin out very fast. Had Ormond and Dr Phil really been able to do their thing - it would have been very unique. It was 6 episodes and the last two don't count (the snow trek :sad: and the odd 'wrap-up' and the odder last 30 minutes in England :ermm: ).

I agree with you - it was almost as though at some point they were just trying to get this series over with. OWN advertised the first 2-3 episodes a lot - but the advertising dropped off the edge with the last two episodes, did you notice? Its speculation but I think something happened during the filming - Sarah didn't deliver or got cold feet when she realized that she'd actually have to be honest or something. Its a very odd series when you consider it after the fact.

The closest we all came to seeing the "real" Sarah, was the Time interview.

Was that the 'real' Sarah? She definitely showed strength there - albeit not to her advantage. If she could take that moxie - that uppity quality - and transform it into a consistent mental toughness (with some insight and wisdom) - she has potential, she does. The problem with the UK is that everyone sees her through the gauze of the BRF. I see her as a chip that can play in the game - or not. I think Sarah has too much of an American sensibility now in her to ever fit back into her old royal life. Like the saying goes: You can never go home again. In Sarah's case she is 'larger' than what once was. I really do hope she figures it out. On consideration, what she showed in the Times interview tells me that she just may make it. It ain't over 'til its over, until the fat lady sings, as the saying goes. Either Sarah will stumble and fall endlessly or she will prove us all wrong. I hope she does the latter!

Last edited:
You know I REALLY like Sarah. Shockingly I learned a bit about problems I have internally within myself from her program. I'm actually currently reading her book. I DO hope Sarah finds herself. Now was it the Piers Morgan interview can't member I saw it in Vegas was too drunk anyways she was asked if there would be a second season and she sorta started answering it and then cut off and switched topics so me thinks Oprah may not have been too thrilled with the show. Member the rumours of how she felt it wasn't exciting enough? Anyways reading her book now the May 2010 deal makes a bit more sense but I'm afraid I'll have to watch the tape back for the first time in a while before I can make complete sense of it. In none of her interviews has she ever thoroughly explained it and I kinda wish she did. It just all seemed so muddled up. In the book it makes more sense maybe not 100% sense but close enough. I still don't get her whole editing thing we saw what we saw how in the heck could they have edited? We would have been able to tell. Anyways going on I dunno what follow up therapy and such she's had if any with Dr. Phill or Suze but I hope in the long run it helps her. I heard she's now debt free which is good. Don't have the uk Hello mag but would love to read her interview maybe in next week's Canadian issue. Anyways blabbing on the last episode just aired here and I dvred it so I"ll give my final thoughts in he morning but so far I have to say I genuinely like Sarah and I genuinely feel she's a good person. Ya maybe at times she over does it with the "I still love Andrew" and the "woe is me" Though at the same time I do feel bad for her and I do believe they still love each other. Who knows what the future holds but I hope it only goes up from here for her.

I just by chance saw the last episode again and have to correct something regarding Dr Phil's comment about Sarah not having a public life: its not quite how I was recalling it - no meaningful pause, he is very conversational talking about the choice of being out of the public eye, going home and living a life that is irrelevant - so you can see its a bit more nuanced. She does not want an irrelevant life - who would? But he says very clearly to her that that would solve all her problems - and he is looking at her. He then does give the other scenario.

On second viewing, one sees different things - sometimes impressions shift. Interesting.

The last 30 minutes remains ill-conceived IMO. The scenes with Eugenie in the house and then in the garden - are plain odd - one never sees Eugenie's face and its a very odd posture. Looks like a set scene. Beatrice seems to be reciting from a script. The chapel scene is more of the same 'look at all the bad stuff happening to me'. The series has not made us care about Sarah - and is perhaps assuming an interest from the get-go that may not be there in the viewer. The result being that Sarah as the 'lead' doesn't 'sell'. There were moments I wanted to think well of it all - but then it all fell apart. The endless repetition of her woes does not wear well. Most significant, everyone is telling us how much Sarah has changed - rather than we see that she has changed. The series of shows just doesn't work. It was a bad idea.

Last edited:
I think the fact no one really sees her change or even admit to her wrongdoings is the reason why it comes across so badly. Of course people are going to say she has changed they have been told too. To me it is like Sarah constantly saying how good hearted she is and what a great mother she is yet we see actions very much to the contrary. So far she is still doing exactly what she did before Oprah and according to Sarah, Andrew paid off her debts she didn't do it so how is that being responsible for her own actions? No word on if she is to repay Andrew or his friends which to me is odd. Nobody does anything for free and to cover that much debt it was over 2 million pounds some sort of deal had to have been made. Which makes me wonder how long Sarah is going to stay out of debt that money from Oprah won't last her very long and the book has done badly so she can't rely on book royalties. I give her too Christmas to start whining about money again if not before!

The chapel scene is more of the same 'look at all the bad stuff happening to me'.

Thank you for all the recaps for those of us who couldn't watch the whole show! Could you elaborate on the "chapel scene"? That scene isn't online.

Is there any way we can drop this discussion about Sarah's weight? Kate's weight?

Thank you for all the recaps for those of us who couldn't watch the whole show! Could you elaborate on the "chapel scene"? That scene isn't online.

Keep in mind its just one person when I say what I saw.....others should pop in to correct or elaborate....

She goes to the chapel where they held the memorial service for her mother. The premise here has to be that we are 'traveling along with Sarah' - that the viewer has 'bought into' the premise that she is being wrongly seen - in the bizarre sequence where she is walking around London (with her 2-3 videographers trailing along - I'm sure she made a sight) she claims she is being started at and comments: the people in this country believe the press. Its very sad to watch these 30 minutes in England because the whole premise seems to be that she is 'yet again' being pilloried - and she is having her daughters there to show how adversely this stuff is impacting them it seems. Everything that just happened in Los Angeles does not seem to have made a difference - yet she winds up sitting there at one point telling us that how she responded was so much different now than before the show. Exposition in this case just doesn't work.

Oh yeah - chapel....:D She is shown kneeling and praying. As the camera shows her deep in prayer, in the voice over she talks about how her mother would advise her to hold the family unit together, to be there for Andrew, and her 'girls', about how hard it is to withstand 'yet another' negative headline. She assumes the viewer is 'with her'. She basically re-states all her grievances yet again - unwise because we have heard the litany of her woes many, many times in this series. If one was on the fence about Sarah thus far in the series, I think this would push them over the edge. IMO.

In all of this Sarah's affect is very odd, I think. She seems to be going through the motions of trying to present a point of view. I don't think she believes herself - though she's certainly trying to convince the viewer - assumes the viewer is convinced, in fact. She is using the camera like a confidant.

This whole scandal - what she seems to not realize that she needs to 'own' it - like someone mentioned Hugh Grant did with his own troubles. That's it. It doesn't matter what she says was this or that - she has to step up to the plate and say: 'Friends, I regret what took place and I apologize to the BRF, to my ex-husband, to my children, to the British public and the American public who have been so kind to me in recent years - for behaving in such a way and making decisons and speaking in such a way that brought dishonor and shame upon myself and my family and others: I am aware that the perception of impropriety is the same as committing the impropriety. I should have known better. There is no excuse for my lapse of judgment in this instance, especially given my history of poor judgment; I deeply regret the upset I have caused to my family; I am going into counseling to unravel my personal knots regarding money and judgement. My hope is that when I have come to understand myself better, I will be able to be the support my family needs and the woman those who have supported me want to see. Thank you.' Music fades away...

Am I hired? ;)

Last edited:
Oh, brother. She's getting to be more and more like octomom. Enough Sara reality for awhile, methinks.

Is Sarah possibly Borderline? I don't want ot get banned, but Diana was disgnosed with that by a couple authors and Sarah is certainly showing a lot of the behavioral patterns. Second, by 'joking' like that, she did a lot of damage. She can't seem to stop doing damage to herself.

Is Sarah possibly Borderline? I don't want ot get banned, but Diana was disgnosed with that by a couple authors and Sarah is certainly showing a lot of the behavioral patterns. Second, by 'joking' like that, she did a lot of damage. She can't seem to stop doing damage to herself.

I have previously suggested the possibility of histrionic personality disorder because IMO Sarah's behaviour exhibits many of the symptons associated with it. I was taken to task by one or two people who either disagreed with or disliked my viewpoint but whilst it was never my intention to do a putdown on Sarah, I did want to state that if there is a personality disorder here-and in the same way that I can't conceive that a sane person can deliberately carry out mass murder I can't believe that a person with a stable mindset can deliberately continue to act in a way that brings disgrace to herself and her family. However, I feel sure, that whilst her current team will allow her to be seen going through all manner of "trials" in order to find herself, I think they may hold back from talking about PDs because a "cure" may, IMO, take a lifetime to achieve.

I wonder though, does Fergie have a lifetime? She's over fifty now, looks twice as old, and is accelerating her self destructive behavior. She is also looking like a total fruit on that documentary (dancing with a wtich doctor is not what I would call helping you move forward), and she has just some weeks ago, falsely accused her mother of being an abuser. This is sick stuff; throw in how she's used her daughters just recently and we have a woman who is actually accelerating her problems, not neutralizing them and getting them under control.

Sarah seemingly can't make up her mind whether her parents were wonderful or terrible. :ermm:

Sarah Ferguson: 'My mother didn't beat me - it was just a joke' | Mail Online

I have previously suggested the possibility of histrionic personality disorder because IMO Sarah's behaviour exhibits many of the symptons associated with it. I was taken to task by one or two people who either disagreed with or disliked my viewpoint but whilst it was never my intention to do a putdown on Sarah, I did want to state that if there is a personality disorder here-and in the same way that I can't conceive that a sane person can deliberately carry out mass murder I can't believe that a person with a stable mindset can deliberately continue to act in a way that brings disgrace to herself and her family. However, I feel sure, that whilst her current team will allow her to be seen going through all manner of "trials" in order to find herself, I think they may hold back from talking about PDs because a "cure" may, IMO, take a lifetime to achieve.

When I read the quotes from the 'Hello!' article, I couldn't believe it. Who 'jokes' about that kind of thing? On a series that's going to be televised nationally, potentially internationally? Though if it does air in the UK that's a change because I initially heard it was only for US distribution. This is an assembled show - a person has tons of time and plenty of opportunities to re-think what's going to get put into the final cut - especially a 'joke' in poor taste.

When I saw those quotes I did another about face - I have been so willing to give her slack - but something's not right. You could feel it in 'Finding Sarah' - or I could - I think most people could. Somethings not right. There really does need to be a Family Intervention.

I don't think she has a 'team' around her. That was for the series - Dr Phil even states that to her. As I mentioned before - when Dr Phil does his 'therapy' sessions on-air he always supplies the person with on-going counseling after the show is over. It does not appear that that took place here. In fact, I think she backed off from the therapy - with the Dr anyway - when she realized it was going to be serious (my speculation based on what I saw was her response to his hard-hitting questions early on). There was a point - after that moment - where the Dr began playing the role but was not engaging in therapy anymore, or that's how I saw it. That's my take.

I agree about being shuttered if one brings up these issues - like with Diana - but I feel these two women's stories are spookily similar. When people like this put themselves forward in a certain kind of way in the public eye - they lose a certain 'right' to hands-off treatment. Like Charlie Sheen - he's going to be publicly analyzed - and rightly so - though in his case its the addiction that is driving the behavior - but we need to name it, talk about it - else impressionable young people draw shallow conclusions - often considering certain behaviors and statements of sentiment as legitimate and a norm - when in fact they aren't.

What drives me to distraction is that the people around such dysfunctional folks do not step forward and surround the troubled one. In Charlie Sheen's case he has so much money he can pretty much sail along - but I think he's been somewhat reeled in by his family (can't be sure on that but hasn't he gone to ground?). In Sarah's case she doesn't have the money - nor a close family except for her in-laws. Andrew needs to have a sit-down talk, that includes her adult daughters. It has to be contained - they have to start stepping up to the plate.

In fairness to them - to Andrew - its hard to come to that place with someone - to take the step - especially when you have your own stuff to deal with. Only those who have had to face the tragedy of a family member going strange can really appreciate the dilemma - and its hard to tell sometimes when the line has been crossed. I think Beatrice knows - that''s what I saw. And if Andrew is as well a problem - then the two young women need an aunt or uncle to step forward - and then that becomes potentially problematical.

I deal with a lot of this celebrity/personality interface. Its a mistake we are making when we don't fully discuss cautionary tales - when we don't accept the dysfunction and instead wall-paper over the evidence - make it a question of 'rudeness', lack of professional credentials to make a diagnosis or justify it for the person or some such. These situations are painful to deal with when you have to watch it up-close-and-personal - its agony when strangers enable the dysfunction.

Anyway, I agree with you both on the essential points - and wish there were a more open willingness to have these things discussed. There are sociological ramifications to the 'images' we honor, the 'images' we believe are 'true'.

Last edited:
What drives me to distraction is that the people around such dysfunctional folks do not step forward and surround the troubled one. In Charlie Sheen's case he has so much money he can pretty much sail along - but I think he's been somewhat reeled in by his family (can't be sure on that but hasn't he gone to ground?). In Sarah's case she doesn't have the money - nor a close family except for her in-laws. Andrew needs to have a sit-down talk, that includes her adult daughters. It has to be contained - they have to start stepping up to the plate.

I know how this sounds, but I have dealt with unstable people my whole life, much to my regret being family. If you keep them in and keep trying to reason wtih them, they will keep messing up and you will have to keep putting your life on hold. Her daughters have been 'helping Mommy' for a huge part of their lives and being exploited by her. Andrew and the RF have been bailing her out all the time, with her always messing up and throwing it back in their faces. With people who are self destructive, they will take those they are close to or protected by down with them. Chances are Sarah is well into her final spiral of self destruction and the best thing to do would be for her family to step back and protect the princesses; they are the ones who are going to need all the love and support they can get from Andrew and the RF.

At this point, the two princesses are going to need all the love and all the support that their family has to give. Once their mother self destructs in the final act (whatever form it takes), they will need all the guidance that their family has to give them. They will need all the support and understanding in the world. Sarah has made her choices, time to start mkaing her experience the consequences. I don't know what bitterness has eaten her up inside, but it's killing her slowly, but surely and she's costing Beatrice and Eugenie their rights as royalty. Their futures are more uncertain than ever and they are likely to now end up with a lot less security in regards to prospects. Bad enough they are not vulnerable to any nutjob, but now they keep getting it in the neck each time their mother pulls something.

I hope that the men that Beatrice and Eugenie eventually marry are supportive and strong for them.

For those who saw the Sarah series, did she seem like she was "making a joke" when she talked about her parents? That's not the impression I have from those of you who've discussed it here.

At this point, the two princesses are going to need all the love and all the support that their family has to give. Once their mother self destructs in the final act (whatever form it takes), they will need all the guidance that their family has to give them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom