Sarah's Interviews and Television Appearances

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it seemed to me that she really didn't think she had done anything wrong or couldn't comprehend that what she did was wrong until after the fact. She tried to avoid this fact.
This is typical of HPD behaviour. At some level she is probably convinced that everthing she has done is a result of cause and effect, that her failures are the results of poor advice given by others-which is true, because she has no idea of what constitutes "reliable," and to the unreliable she is the perfect gift-but the buzz she probably experiences from doing certain deals may be so great that it would make it impossible to relinquish this form of "high". So, convince people that the responsibility lays elsewhere and she remains free to continue a pattern of behaviour that she enjoys. I would hate to know that I could never again eat chocolate, drink wine or give up any pleasure that makes a difference in my life so I think I can understand her reluctance, which may be contributing to her brokenness.

but the buzz she probably experiences from doing certain deals may be so great that it would make it impossible to relinquish this form of "high". So, convince people that the responsibility lays elsewhere and she remains free to continue a pattern of behaviour that she enjoys. I would hate to know that I could never again eat chocolate, drink wine or give up any pleasure that makes a difference in my life so I think I can understand her reluctance, which may be contributing to her brokenness.

I see that too. For some reason that I don't completely understand (HPD might fit), Sarah doesn't get the same "highs" from ordinary things that most of us would. Where most of us would be satisfied with having lunch with a friend, being praised for work well done, a dinner out with family, buying a new outfit occasionally...those ordinary things aren't "enough" for Sarah. She "needs" (or thinks she needs) constant praise and affirmation and a jet-set lifestyle which involves designer clothes and purses and lavish parties, just to feel like she is living a happy, normal life. Except she never really has enough - she always wants more. I don't want to call it greed, although I think it is greed in a sense. But in another sense, it's an attempt to fill some kind of a void.

I feel like Sarah really does not have self-worth and if you took away all the money, the fame, and the attention, she would be left with "herself." And she doesn't like who she is. She buys expensive things, rubs shoulders with the rich and famous, and drops endless references to her royal connections, because all these things make her feel worthy in some way. If they were gone, she would be lost. That's why I think she's clinging to her past lifestyle and doesn't want to change.

She's afraid of being alone with whatever demons keep haunting her (and I think it's hard to deny that Sarah is haunted by some sense of worthlessness after watching her sessions with Dr. Phil and Suze Orman. I think she was trying to construct a sob story and deny the truth sometimes, but then there were other times when I think her tears were real).

Last edited:
When you loathe yourself or think that you are disguisting, you have low self-esteem and self-worth. It's an awful feeling. Very awful feeling.

When I was a child, from time to time I had these feelings but couldn't understand it. I was loved and was not the victim of physical or verbal abuse nor was I around any adult who mistreated me. For most people, this is where self-esteem and self-worth issues start. Other people outside my family often treated me badly (verbal abuse at school from other peers, very mean hateful things said to me, lies were told about me, etc) and I was ashamed of it and didn't tell anyone for a long time. From what Sarah said, it sounds like her issues started when she was a child.

Despite this, I didn't use this as an excuse (because I have weight issues, I could have blame what happened to me as school) or do things and then use this as an excuse. I had a moral compass and knew right from wrong.

IMHO Sarah just doesn't know who Sarah is and "Finding Sarah" didn't help. For the last 25 years she has earned her living promoting herself as The Duchess of York...so in her mind that is who she is, but she's not. The RF do not consider her a part of their family (rightly so)...so she's always on the outside, looking in. She has nearly always lived with Andrew and their daughters, living like she is one of them...royalty, but she's not. Add to that all the bad press that she receives (admittedly, most of it deserved). It's no wonder she has a lot of mental and emotional baggage.
Unfortunately, the time for finding Sarah was 25 years ago.

Thakfully, we cannot incarcerate people in psychiatric units because their personalities are different from our own. An odious little man in Germany tried that and some still suffer as a result. However, I believe you are entirely correct in your suggestion that the whole family needs to learn how to deal with the situation, how to support without enabling. The only way to bring about change in another person's behaviour is by changing our own.
Being on a psychiatric unit is not equal to Incarceration. I think why some people are bringing up hospitalization, medication, and rehab is that
The way Sarah is being presented on this show she looks like someone with major clinical depression. While I agree she has self esteem issues and misplaced values, I don't think she has clinical depression to the degree that she needs meds or a psych admit. And if she does have this then it is extremely irresponsible for Dr Phil "to treat" her in this TV forum.

My only other thought that might explain Sarah's excesses, is some form of bipolar disorder. But again a competent professional would have to explore this in private sessions with Sarah and her family.

I think that people who were teenagers or adults during the wedding of 1986 and the Royal tours of 1987 and 1989 could remember her fairly easily. Prince Edward is the one people have trouble remembering.;)

As a Canadian, I would hazard a guess that most Canadians (and Americans) don't know anything about Sarah and aren't at all interested.

No, it's not in most cases. But if a person is hospitalized against her will, it would feel like prison. I don't know what the law is in Britain; but here it usually requires the signature of two doctors or that the person is a threat to the life of herself or others. So a person would have to be in desperate, dangerous shape for that to happen. I can't see Sarah getting inpatient help voluntarily unless it's part of a deal; "We'll make sure you never go hungry and always have a roof over your head if you go for treatment."

Being on a psychiatric unit is not equal to Incarceration.

I see that too. For some reason that I don't completely understand (HPD might fit), Sarah doesn't get the same "highs" from ordinary things that most of us would. Where most of us would be satisfied with having lunch with a friend, being praised for work well done, a dinner out with family, buying a new outfit occasionally...those ordinary things aren't "enough" for Sarah. She "needs" (or thinks she needs) constant praise and affirmation and a jet-set lifestyle which involves designer clothes and purses and lavish parties, just to feel like she is living a happy, normal life. Except she never really has enough - she always wants more. I don't want to call it greed, although I think it is greed in a sense. But in another sense, it's an attempt to fill some kind of a void.

I feel like Sarah really does not have self-worth and if you took away all the money, the fame, and the attention, she would be left with "herself." And she doesn't like who she is. She buys expensive things, rubs shoulders with the rich and famous, and drops endless references to her royal connections, because all these things make her feel worthy in some way. If they were gone, she would be lost. That's why I think she's clinging to her past lifestyle and doesn't want to change.

She's afraid of being alone with whatever demons keep haunting her (and I think it's hard to deny that Sarah is haunted by some sense of worthlessness after watching her sessions with Dr. Phil and Suze Orman. I think she was trying to construct a sob story and deny the truth sometimes, but then there were other times when I think her tears were real).
The trappings,ARE Sarah. Strip them away and
there is NOTHING, Sarah ceases to exist. Can anything be more scary? The lifestyle she has constructed for herself both validates and affirms her but all addictions are greedy and as time goes on they demand more to achieve the same effect-in Sarah's case, confirming her very existence. I don't believe her to be clinically depressed but I do feel that she is very frightened that she will "disappear", and because of that, on ocassions, the tears are real.

The trappings,ARE Sarah. Strip them away and
there is NOTHING, Sarah ceases to exist. Can anything be more scary? The lifestyle she has constructed for herself both validates and affirms her but all addictions are greedy and as time goes on they demand more to achieve the same effect-in Sarah's case, confirming her very existence. I don't believe her to be clinically depressed but I do feel that she is very frightened that she will "disappear", and because of that, on ocassions, the tears are real.

But she is loved. By her daughters at least. Why can't she just live quietly, enjoy her daughters success in society with the occasional outing for herself instead of showing off her flaws at international TV?

KNOWING one is loved is quite separate from FEELING one is loved and Sarah might be prepared to sell her soul for a few moments of knowing what FEELING herself to be loved feels like. As to the "flaws", if they are removed, where is the need for Sarah to be on international TV......or where is the need for Sarah to BE?

But she is loved. By her daughters at least. Why can't she just live quietly, enjoy her daughters success in society with the occasional outing for herself instead of showing off her flaws at international TV?

IMO Sarah's goal with this tv series is to earn money and try to rebuild her reputation in the US so that she will be able to continue to earn big dollars in order to finance the lifestyle that she wants to lead. I'm sure that if she thought there was any other way to do it, she would have chosen it.
I just don't think that it's going to work and if it doesn't, then what?

It would be wonderful if she would just live quietly, but it's not her style and it's not going to happen.

Most children give unconditional love to their parents even when they have failed morally and even when they have done questionable bad things. Even as adults, the same is often true.

Tommorow there is another episode of Sarah on Oprah's network. Hope to watch it.

As a Canadian, I would hazard a guess that most Canadians (and Americans) don't know anything about Sarah and aren't at all interested. Her book sales will be a good indication of the interest. I have my doubts. Now if Pippa was to write a book...it would fly off the shelves!

I agree with that; even some Americans interested in royalty are not interested in Sarah.
(I for one didn't watch her show, and I usually watch anything pertaining to the BRF).

No, it's not in most cases. But if a person is hospitalized against her will, it would feel like prison. I don't know what the law is in Britain; but here it usually requires the signature of two doctors or that the person is a threat to the life of herself or others. So a person would have to be in desperate, dangerous shape for that to happen. I can't see Sarah getting inpatient help voluntarily unless it's part of a deal; "We'll make sure you never go hungry and always have a roof over your head if you go for treatment."/
The problem is, as I see it, food and a roof over her head is just not enough for Sarah, she wants more. Designer clothes, jet setting, being treated like the royality she is not is more her thing, IMHO. :)
If it were enough she would not be showing up a galas and other celebrity gatherings hanging on to her daughters, she would be snuggled up at home (Royal Lodge) with a dinner tray and a good book or movie/TV. :ermm:

Yes, I agree with you there. She seems to need the trappings of the super-rich for some reason, and I don't think that she understands simple economics.

The problem is, as I see it, food and a roof over her head is just not enough for Sarah, she wants more. Designer clothes, jet setting, being treated like the royality she is not is more her thing, IMHO. :)

The shaman on 2nights episode was.... different!

Last edited:
I can't say I saw many redeeming qualities on this week's show.

She traveled to Arizona where she sought the advice of a shaman, or spiritual healer. He had her carry rocks into a hilly/ rocky desert area and scream "Why? Mom!" while throwing herself to her knees, faking tears, and then rising up again (she never quite went that far). He "revealed" that she had never allowed herself to feel anger at her mom's leaving, only sadness.

Incidentally, in one of her books about a decade ago she talked about teaching her girls to go into the middle of the family's property and let out a scream to release frustration. She seemed like this idea was ridiculous and she had never thought of it when the shaman mentioned it. It is things like this that make me shake my head. It seems like she has lines written by someone who doesn't know a whole lot about what she has said in the past.

She also visited a life coach who had her follow a string maze while blindfolded, and an equine therapist who instructed her how to help a horse get over his fear of plastic bags. She objects a lot to what she is told to do before she does it. Although I am certainly not against alternative therapy, the entire episode seemed like a farce to me. I was thinking, "Even those who felt some connection during the first two episodes will be thrown for a loop now!" Perhaps not.

On previews for the upcoming shows, she is seen breaking down while talking about William and Catherine's wedding and how it sent her into a "complete tail spin" (or similar language). Oh dear. No appearances from B/ E this episode, just a brief phone call with one of them.

Obviously Sarah hasn't learned that there are worse things than being by yourself.

I wonder what the entire BRF will have to say about this circus show when they see it? I wonder if any of the other royal families will get wind of this?

How embarrassing for The Queen and the rest of the BRF... (shaking my head).

As I read the reports of series shows from people who have watched, it's has convinced me that this was a horrible decision of Sarah to agree to this show. I thought her show wasn't going to be shown in Great Britain at all, but the Mail article stated it would be shown at a later time. If that happens, can you imagine the comments? Sarah has made another blunder while she and Oprah took advantage of one another. How sad to be reduced to abasing yourself on tv.

Perhaps it's the only thing she is good or competent at.
I don't mean that in a negative sense.

She strikes me as naive.....showing lack of experience, understanding or sophistication
Naive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Often in a family the youngest sister, the most undeveloped one...... she put her intelligence to sleep ......the knowing, doubting ...side.... exchanging it for the power to create through naivety."

Is Sarah really as naive as all that, though? She presents herself as naive, but Diarist said some things that made me think. Sarah worked for a publisher in her twenties; so why does she act like she never had to manage her own money? She says she can't keep her mouth shut or "wear two faces" (one for private and one for public), but there are some things she never talks about. As an example: has anyone ever heard her mention her relationship with Steve Wyatt?

The biggest red flag for me, though, is the way Sarah acted in that cash-for-access video. She acted like a hard-nosed businesswoman who was used to orchestrating such negotiations. Also, Sarah told Dr. Phil that she had such a strong moral compass, there was no way she would have taken money from the "businessman" if she had thought it was wrong. But does anyone remember Sarah telling the businessman that he must never mention their transaction to Andrew, because Andrew is "whiter than white"? Does that sound like a woman with a clear conscience?

I think Sarah is naive in a way (she should have recognized the sting for what it was - realized that no legitimate businessman would want so much money for Andrew). But if she's naive, she's definitely not innocent.

Yes, she certainly showed a different face there, one we hadn't seen before. We'd seen Sarah as mother, Sarah as royal bride, Sarah as working royal, Sarah on holiday, but we hadn't seen Sarah the deal-maker.:ermm:

The biggest red flag for me, though, is the way Sarah acted in that cash-for-access video. She acted like a hard-nosed businesswoman who was used to orchestrating such negotiations.

Is Sarah really as naive as all that, though? She presents herself as naive, but Diarist said some things that made me think. Sarah worked for a publisher in her twenties; so why does she act like she never had to manage her own money? She says she can't keep her mouth shut or "wear two faces" (one for private and one for public), but there are some things she never talks about. As an example: has anyone ever heard her mention her relationship with Steve Wyatt?

The biggest red flag for me, though, is the way Sarah acted in that cash-for-access video. She acted like a hard-nosed businesswoman who was used to orchestrating such negotiations. Also, Sarah told Dr. Phil that she had such a strong moral compass, there was no way she would have taken money from the "businessman" if she had thought it was wrong. But does anyone remember Sarah telling the businessman that he must never mention their transaction to Andrew, because Andrew is "whiter than white"? Does that sound like a woman with a clear conscience?

I think Sarah is naive in a way (she should have recognized the sting for what it was - realized that no legitimate businessman would want so much money for Andrew). But if she's naive, she's definitely not innocent.

She simply plays up the bumbling fool because those around her haven't called her on it. At least not in public, just yell "oops" loud enough when you get burned and wait for it all to calm down.

She simply plays up the bumbling fool because those around her haven't called her on it. At least not in public, just yell "oops" loud enough when you get burned and wait for it all to calm down.

I find it amusing that Sarah is trying to obfuscate the matter in relation to her recent dealings with the fake sheikh with talk of lack of self esteem, or a damaged upbringing. All of those things may or may not be true, but a complete lack of judgement and being unable to tell between right and wrong are not linked to lack of self esteem. Teh lack of self esteem should not result in you selling access to your ex-husband, or trying to use your daughters for your commercial gains. This is just plain wrong, and somebody should tell Sarah that she needs to take responsibility for her own actions.

Perhaps she could work with her sister?
Doesn't Jane have a PR firm in Sydney?
That would get her away from Andrew and the girls so she couldn't continually involve them in her troubles, and also give her the opportunity to earn her own living.

We don't let her get away with things like the Americans do. We aren't exactly known for *****footing around and I don't think she would like the fact we wouldn't fall all over ourselves. Besides it costs as much to live her as it does in London so she would never survive. I don't buy the I didn't know what I was doing stuff she set up the meeting, gave a price and discussed what could and couldn't be said to Andrew. She knew it was wrong she just didn't care until she got caught! I really don't see this helping her cause so far she hasn't said she is to blame for anything there are all these issues that are responsible for her actions. Until she can truly admit her mistakes and get her moral compass back on track she will continue to make mistakes because no one is really all that interested in brand Sarah. What exactly does she have to offer? Not honesty, not morals, no money wise and no real work ethic. Really limits what she can put her brand on.

Perhaps she could work with her sister?
Doesn't Jane have a PR firm in Sydney?
That would get her away from Andrew and the girls so she couldn't continually involve them in her troubles, and also give her the opportunity to earn her own living.

That solves nothing if she doesn't get over the need for the high life first.

We don't let her get away with things like the Americans do. We aren't exactly known for *****footing around and I don't think she would like the fact we wouldn't fall all over ourselves.

So Americans *****foot? Here's an idea how about you take into account that she's purposely being pushed on an audience that doesn't know the whole story and isn't really interested enough to read deeper rather than assuming things about a nation? This will require you to pull your head out of a certain orifice first, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom