Sarah's Interviews and Television Appearances

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The daughters themselves had to give consent. And of course Sarah had to ask them (and remember, Sarah and her people pitched the show to Oprah; Oprah is a businesswoman, she said "Show me your preview reel," and on that reel (debuted way before the show ever aired) were the innocent looking 2 daughters, appearing not to realize that they were going to be spliced into a larger show.

Sarah and her own managers are the ones who forked over that tape.

:previous:
Of course and Oprah went ahead and ran the shows with Sarah's daughter's in tears over their mother's misfortune. Oprah is, of course, going to keep those scenes, it makes for drama which increases (hopefully) the audience. Here are the poor daughters, suffering from the treatment their mother is getting from the press and the Royal Family.

If Sarah really didn't want the girls in the show she could off stopped it but didn't. In fact she seems to relish the tears of beatrice she keeps pushing her to say she has changed. Instead of hugging her and telling it would ok. Sarah wants to hear she has changed and clearly she hasnt and I think Beatrice was more sad that she hadn't and wasn't going too. Having the girls in gives Sarah more prestige here are two Princess and the filming that was done at Royal Lodge all done to show she still has Royal links. Of course we know she doesn't have access to most of the members of the family only Andrew when she needs something and the girls. She needs to be kicked out of Royal Lodge and there is no reason she can't rent a place of her own if she is earning over a hundred thousand pounds a year. I would like to know how they came up with that figure!

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that perhaps Sarah objected at first, but when Oprah pushed it, she caved in.

This is a speculation.

I don't know the true facts of course

Correct.

but it was really unthinkable to use one's children to make a show. I blame Oprah because she wanted the ratings.

Interesting - it was Sarah who offered the use of her daughters but its Oprah's 'blame'? Sounds like Sarah giving excuses - you've just done it for her.

Sarah's show didn't help Oprah

It didn't hurt Oprah, either. Interest may have petered out for the later episodes, but it was respectable for a new network.

her OWN is gasping for it's last breath.

I don't understand your animus. OWN is a brand-new business venture launched in an extreme economic environment. Not sure what your criteria is for 'gasping its last breath'.

Last edited:
This is a speculation.

I don't understand your animus. OWN is a brand-new business venture launched in an extreme economic environment. Not sure what your criteria is for 'gasping its last breath'.

50,000 average daily viewers would probably meet my definition of "gasping." But of course, your mileage may vary.

Oprah’s OWN Network Ratings Continue to Suffer as Jenny McCarthy Backs Out | TV Smack Talk

RATINGS
OWN hasn’t even reached the numbers of the channel it replaced, “Discovery Health”.
Let’s take a look at some numbers from March 2011:
In 2010 Discovery Health for women ages 25-54 averaged 51,000 viewers. During Prime time this number was 84,000. OWN is right around the 50,000 average and 83,000 prime time. These were the numbers back in March. They have declined further since.
Other networks are eating OWN’s lunch, here’s a look at the average viewers back in March 2011:

Lifetime 404,000
Oxygen 137,000
Hallmark 94,000
OWN 83,0000
(end quote from article)

And those are from March; since then the ratings have continued to plunge. Latest numbers are more like 26,000 average daily viewers. That's beyond gasping, that's reaching for the defibrillator.

Last edited:
Could we possibly agree that both Andy and Fergie have a penchant for jet-setting ? That would make everything so much easier...

Not quite sure what you mean here....I don't see that anyone is arguing against that viewpoint. They both sure get around!

Please note that ALL off topic posts that have NOTHING to do with Sarah's Interview and Television Appearances have been deleted.

Last edited:

The look on her face in the picture - she's blowing her PR attempt!

Quote from the article: "Ferguson was strangely shocked when asked to watch News Of The World footage of her offering to sell access to Prince Andrew, but Scott said it was unnecessary because she had seen it - and was happy to answer questions about it."

Now I am seriously puzzled: had she not been claiming that she had not seen the NOTW video? 60 Minutes providing the video for her to view is then inspired IMO.

What can be going on in Sarah's mind: "But Thomson was last night mystified.'She agreed to talk about the issue, as she has already extensively done, so it certainly wasn't entrapment,' he said."

Is it possible that she thought this would be a pitch to the US market? So she was ambivalent about viewing the video that she claimed she had never seen. Seeing it - having the slo-mo and re-play she would have to answer the hard-hitting questions without being able to say 'I haven't seen the video - anyone who sees it knows my version of the incident is accurate." ?

Last edited:
I've been struck by how defensive Sarah gets when she's asked about the NOTW incident, as if she's offended that anyone would even bring it up. I'm specifically thinking of one of the Finding Sarah episodes I watched and a print interview she did around the same time. If she was a private individual leading a private life she'd have no obligation to discuss it but as someone who's enthusiastically trying to make herself into a public person and rehabilitate her public image then she's got to expect people are going to mention what was, after all, a pretty huge error in judgement.

Sarah Ferguson storms out of Australian TV interview, claiming she was ambushed | Mail Online

The Daily Mail is running a story on this, too.

Hmm - I was sort of waiting for something like this to happen. Sarah is in such denial of the truth about this NOTW sting - yet, she's trying to profit off it at the same time. She was getting a lot of "soft" interviews, but it was only a matter of time before she would end up with a more hard-hitting journalist who wanted to watch and analyze the video. What I don't understand is...the video is out there. Everyone has seen it! Why does Sarah think she can rebuild her career off that video, yet never face what really happened on camera? She seems to think that if she says what happened on the video didn't happen, then it didn't happen, and everyone will believe her.

Obviously, the sticking point in this video was when they actually wanted Sarah to watch the video - ie. face the truth, and then be questioned about it.

Sarah chose the worst possible way to recover from this scandal - denial of the truth.

Please note that ALL off topic posts that have NOTHING to do with Sarah's Interview and Television Appearances have been deleted.

Should I assume the topic being covered in post #635 is fair to reply to even though one could argue its 'off-topic'? I ask because my inclination is to respond to that post but I don't want to do so if I'll be deleted. Asking....

It's becoming a bit tedious... Sarah has known for decades what the Mail is like.

But while there are altercations surrounding Sarah, she gains "oxygen" for her need to stay in the public arena.

Post 635 is relevant (and should be considered on topic) as it relates to the network that Sarah's show appeared on. But we shouldn't get bogged down in a pro and con Oprah discussion, nor speculate on her motives as it relates to Sarah. Those have been deleted as well.

Off topic posts that were deleted are posts about Sarah's actions affecting Beatrice and Eugenie's work in the Firm, Sarah and Andrew's marriage, speculative comments about the Queen and the DoE, Sarah and Royal Lodge, etc.

Last edited:
rmay, you nailed it. Sarah simply cannot face that what she did is actually on video and available for viewing and re-viewing. I believe when it all first hit, she starting by saying that it just never happened. Come to think about it, that's what she is saying now.

I believe that she is contractually obligated to do interviews in support of both her book and the 'Finding Sarah' series as part of the compensation and covering of travel/entertainment/lodging costs. The US interviews et al were certainly soft on her, right up until the Time interview (which wasn't even all that hardball!)

Perhaps she is starting to feel, in the words of Lando Calrission, "This deal is getting worse all the time!"

Is it possible that she thought this would be a pitch to the US market? So she was ambivalent about viewing the video that she claimed she had never seen. Seeing it - having the slo-mo and re-play she would have to answer the hard-hitting questions without being able to say 'I haven't seen the video - anyone who sees it knows my version of the incident is accurate." ?

Sarah definitely cannot ever claim that she has not seen the NOTW video. Shortly after the scandal broke, Sarah appeared on Oprah's show where they both sat down and watched it together. Most of us here will remember her watching it and referring to herself in the third person even.

Walking out of this 60 minute interview to me puts Sarah in the spotlight as a petulant child who takes her toys and goes home when things aren't exactly to her liking. Just because Andrew has "forgiven" her for her screw up, it doesn't mean that she's totally in the clear and the rest of the world has done the same.

Walking out on this interview is the worse move she could have possibly made. It totally destroys her credibility.

It appears that she does not want the "sting" shown because it would be all the more difficult to waffle around with her answers I guess if it's right in front of her face. Will she never learn???

I am certianly going to be watching Sunday night. I love how once again Sarah and co are crying entrapment when it clearly has been spoken about before. The difference seems to be that this time the interviewer wasn't buying what she was selling. He wanted answers and she wanted to do the usual denial. Walking out and demanding things not to be shown certainly shows her in a bad light and how she really thinks she should still be bowed too etc. I will watch it on Sunday night and let you know how it goes it is possible it will also be shown in the US 60 minutes Oz and the Us often share interviews. 60 minutes is known for it's hard hitting stories and she was very silly to think they wouldn't call her out on her own lies. Going by some of the comments I have read she has no sympathy and this has well and truly backfired on her.

This just gets more and more fun. At first it was sad, then annoying, the aggravating but now, seeing her actively act as if the truth can be ignored and changed, it's just become a joke.

I truly believe she's close to losing it. Not mentally but that she's going to snap in one of these interviews. The Time interview showed how easily flustered she gets and this shows that it's all now under her skin. She can neither bring herself to walk away or speak the truth. The bomb's going to go off soon.

Sarah definitely cannot ever claim that she has not seen the NOTW video. Shortly after the scandal broke, Sarah appeared on Oprah's show where they both sat down and watched it together. Most of us here will remember her watching it and referring to herself in the third person even.

Walking out of this 60 minute interview to me puts Sarah in the spotlight as a petulant child who takes her toys and goes home when things aren't exactly to her liking. Just because Andrew has "forgiven" her for her screw up, it doesn't mean that she's totally in the clear and the rest of the world has done the same.

Walking out on this interview is the worse move she could have possibly made. It totally destroys her credibility.

Osipi, I think you've really pointed out the heart of the matter; Sarah has now completely lost any "plausible deniability" she had left, (which wasn't much in any case).

A fifty-one year old woman who refuses to acknowledge fault and fails to publicly try and correct gross public errors is bound to lose any claim on the public's affection and respect. That this same woman had (and to some extent, still has) access to the enormous privileges of life as a member of the BRF just magnifies the seeming arrogance of her public "it's not my fault" stance. It has the same ring as President Clinton's famous denial of anything improper in his relationship with Monica Lewinsky. Even a man as charismatic and popular as Bill Clinton had to admit to his wrongdoing and make apologies before he was restored to the esteem in which he was held previously. (Too bad Sarah hasn't learned from his experience; having taken responsibility of his actions in public, the Lewinsky incident is now almost completely forgotten and Bill Clinton is loved the world over to this day.) This is not a comment on anything political, but rather on their shared experience of a large public error of judgement and what follows said error.

IMHO, the whole Oprah show now reveals its greatest damage to Sarah. As she has already been filmed going through all sorts of therapy and trying to rebirth her public image on reality television, she now has very little room to manoeuvre herself to try and repair the damage she caused herself in this interview. Given the chance to atone publicly during six episodes of her show, she failed to grasp responsibility for the NOTW betrayal and after being seen consulting with some of the media's high priests and priestesses of therapy, her behaviour didn't change. I hardly imagine she can take that route again, as it would make her open to charges of cynicism.

I don't know what steps Sarah could possibly take to re-establish herself in the public eye now. All her media-centric makeovers have harmed her rather than helped. I'd be curious to know what a PR person of the calibre of Marc Bolland, for example, would advise Sarah to do now. Personally, if I were Sarah, I would "disappear" to Argentina and lose myself in very low profile charity work, similar to what John Profumo did in London after the Keeler revelations, though I do not think Profumo was insincere or manipulative in his attempts to "atone".

Hopefully, the DM and other media outlets will soon feature some of these PR experts and we can gain some insight to what hope (if any) there is for Sarah to relaunch her public persona and what steps they would advise her to take in the perilous situation her media relations and her personal choices have left her. At this point, her experiences would qualify for a "how not to use the media and reality television" mini-seminar.

Fergie does not seem to understand that times have changed and no one is interested in forgiving people who screw up that badly with their highly privileged life. There are some areas you don't screw up in and this is one of them. It's not like this is a one time thing, but a constant, perpetually chaotic cycle of behavior. She gets solid grounding, and then she ends up messing it up again. Bad when things are going well, but horrific when the economy is bad and this sort of thing is constant.

Sarah didn't earn herself points by storming out of the interview. Her supposedly saying "F*** them" is showing just how vulgar she can be and her image has just taken another hit. Okay, I'm not naive, I hear the F word everyday, but for a woman who is trying to establish herself again and considers herself an aristocrat plus was once a Royal, she certainly would not have it released that she stated such a phrase and certainly not by one of her staff to the press.
Sarah has shot herself in the foot again. It's too bad, but I don't know if she can gain control and bring herself back as she did many years ago.

She is killing herself with these appearances.

There's more!
This Sunday on Australian 60 Minutes - she walks out of an interview; I will watch & post any comments & video on here.

Perhaps this has never been about Sarah exonerating herself, but about Sarah using ANYTHING as a means of grabbing attention. As the world media has a greater appetite than her own, sooner or later she find that it will bite her.

Perhaps this has never been about Sarah exonerating herself, but about Sarah using ANYTHING as a means of grabbing attention. As the world media has a greater appetite than her own, sooner or later she find that it will bite her.

With headlines all over the place now on how Sarah got upset, demanding edits to the interview and then storming off, even though she's reputedly came back and finished the interview, any good that she would have hoped to attained out of appearing on 60 Minutes has gone totally down the drain. Is it an odd thought that perhaps in the future when people see that Sarah Ferguson's going to be on somewhere, they'll expect it to be a circus sideshow?

Video Preview of Weird Sarah Ferguson Interview With 60 Minutes Reporter Michael Usher

Apparently 'anything' for publicity does not include appearing in Big Brother
Sarah Ferguson denies signing up for Celebrity Big Brother 2011 | Unreality TV

Was the 60 minutes interview shot in Australia? If so I wonder why she went there. I haven't watched 60 minutes for years, but it used to be a pretty hard hitting, well researched program w/ expose style journalism. If it's still like that then whomever advised her to go on the show did her no favors, she didn't fare well in the short 10 questions Time interview and that was pretty soft, IMO, the reporter/editor backed down pretty fast, somebody should have known 60 min.s wouldn't back down so easily.
Interesting that her excuse for her behavior in the 60 minutes interview is "I was entrapped" wasn't that one of the excuses for the cash for access deal? Her team needs to get together and come up with some new excuses, the ones she's been using lately are getting a bit worn out.

With headlines all over the place now on how Sarah got upset, demanding edits to the interview and then storming off, even though she's reputedly came back and finished the interview, any good that she would have hoped to attained out of appearing on 60 Minutes has gone totally down the drain. Is it an odd thought that perhaps in the future when people see that Sarah Ferguson's going to be on somewhere, they'll expect it to be a circus sideshow?

Video Preview of Weird Sarah Ferguson Interview With 60 Minutes Reporter Michael Usher

Interesting insight into her here - her manner is commanding and very much 'you will do as I say'. Who is the real Sarah? The sweet conciliatory fun girl? The confused always wanting to please victim? Probably all of that - but she is also very full of herself, clearly.

I honestly wonder what Oprah et al are making of all this as they watch this immolation - if that's what it is.

Its getting cruelly amusing, as someone said. And the media have got her number - they're not going to let go of this. Wherever she goes, the one question she is running from will be lurking. She doesn't have a prayer.

She's looking good, though - except for the mascara. Jimminy Crickets! What's with the black underliner these days - in no way attractive, is actually de-tractive IMO. I think its the Goth influence. :rolleyes:

Was the 60 minutes interview shot in Australia? If so I wonder why she went there.

I just realized that it was Aussie. Didn't know 60 Minutes was elsewhere. Hope they show it here on Sunday - I'll check it out. That's it, you see, she's becoming - its too sad - a laughingstock. How harsh that sounds! I wish I didn't say it - yet - how else to describe it? She does need to pony up and talk about the whole thing like an adult - own it. Only then will it go away. Only then will she garner respect and be taken seriously.

Actually, she is demonstrating at these moments that she has the inner where-withal to be an interviewer, to be in media. I know that pinches some folks - but its true. She's a character - developing a public persona with a backbone - she could do it - if she gets real, if she gets honest. I wonder...

Last edited:
Interesting insight into her here - her manner is commanding and very much 'you will do as I say'. Who is the real Sarah? The sweet conciliatory fun girl? The confused always wanting to please victim? Probably all of that - but she is also very full of herself, clearly.

I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps Sarah believes that when she does an interview, that she should be deferred to and that in no way should they overstep the boundaries that would put her into a bad light. Perhaps she doesn't realize that the programs and the interviewers are not seeing Sarah as royalty (or even ex-royalty) or even the mother of princesses, but see a woman that's created a few waves by her own actions and are asking questions relating to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom