Sarah, Duchess of York: "Cash for Access" - May 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she should get jail time for this......IMO...this is Treason(In law, treason is the crime that covers some of the more serious acts of betrayal of one's sovereign or nation.)

I think she should get jail time for this......IMO...this is Treason(In law, treason is the crime that covers some of the more serious acts of betrayal of one's sovereign or nation.)
I hardly think Sarah was advocating the overthrow of the British government or committing High Treason against the Queen. She has embarrassed herself and the Royal Family but I don't believe this rose to the level of treason.

I hardly think she was trying to overthrow the Birtish goverment or the Queen but, I do thinks if she had gotten away with it she would have said anything to get more money... Defamation of Character, Slander, I think she would have sold the whole lot of them down the pound to get what she wanted .... Money... Maybe not Hight Treason but IMO She has done much more then embarrassed herself...:ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lady Ann--

I agree Sarah has acted badly and we are of the same opinion in that regard. Also, I feel safe in assuming you and I agree that there was no justification for Sarah's actions, no matter her status or amount of debt, or drunkeness, etc. I am not familiar with British law but the only character she has defamed appears to be herself and I don't think that is a crime as well. Sarah appeared eager to assure the undercover reporter that Prince Andrew had no knowledge of her actions. Now, if it turns out differently, then that may be a legal problem for both Sarah and the Prince.

Was it legal to videotape Sarah without her consent? And contrive to entrap her in obvious unethical behavior? I think that both Sarah and the news reporter are equally wrong.

In the USA anyone can legally record anyone else outdoors in a public area such as a street, park, or beach since there is no expectation of privacy.

It is illegal to record someone when they are inside their own home since there is an expectation of privacy.

Businesses and schools can legally record anyone on their property for security purposes except in areas such as restrooms, locker rooms, or changing rooms.

Law enforcement can use surveillance equipment to observe and record anyone appearing in a public place and is treated as any other "plain sight" observations made by an officer "in person" at the location.

I do not think that this video would have been legal had it been recorded in the USA. I am not excusing Sarah’s behavior at all. I just have a problem with the set-up, entrapment and the secret hidden video.

She seems to be so broken. I wouldn't be surprised if she's on prescription tranquilizers, because she seems not to have her usual spark. That's okay during a crisis; I'm not judging her it.

I had that same impression while watching her interview with Oprah. Sarah seemed so subdued, sometimes in slow-motion. Without spontaneous reactions. I feel sorry for her.

I keep seeing references to the inadequacy of her divorce settlement. She may only get $20,000 a year, but at the time she also got 500,000 pounds from the queen for a house--which she apparently never bought--also 350,000 pounds from the queen to do with what she liked, half of which she chose to give to her mother. She also earned tens of millions of dollars/pounds through her many endorsements, chief of which was Weight Watchers, also she made millions from her autobiography. To her great credit, she paid off all of her debt, but even after her living expenses she still should have been left with at least several millions, which she apparently lost through bad business decisions. My point is, it is her own fault she is in the financial state she is in; this has nothing to do with her divorce settlement. I thinl no matter how much money the royal family gave her, she would have lost/spent it all.

Just an aside-- Isn't Sarah Ferguson a godsend to this forum?? I have not seen anything like the number of posts on this thread since I joined the forums over a year ago!

Just an aside-- Isn't Sarah Ferguson a godsend to this forum?? I have not seen anything like the number of posts on this thread since I joined the forums over a year ago!

It comes and goes :D

The Crown Princess of Denmark has inspired long and repetitive threads, and then you have the Duchess of Cornwall who is always subject to an avalanche of discussion. Generally when something of 'interest' occurs, the discussion lingers for a very long time. I grew tired of this thread around 5 pages in. Nothing new has really been discussed and it's become one big repitition with the odd over opinionated loud mouth doing their best to enforce their view as the likely truth...lol.

I saw the interview yesterday. It is what it is, whatever that may be (?). Lets hope they can all move on in a proactive fashion.

Lady Ann--

I agree Sarah has acted badly and we are of the same opinion in that regard. Also, I feel safe in assuming you and I agree that there was no justification for Sarah's actions, no matter her status or amount of debt, or drunkeness, etc. I am not familiar with British law but the only character she has defamed appears to be herself and I don't think that is a crime as well. Sarah appeared eager to assure the undercover reporter that Prince Andrew had no knowledge of her actions. Now, if it turns out differently, then that may be a legal problem for both Sarah and the Prince.

Yes we agree on all points, the thing Im questioning is just what was going to be an " open book" How do we know she was not going to tell all if the the money was right. Sarah was out of control at that point she may have told stories of the Queen, Diana, Charles all the sorted details that have been locked up for the last 30 years... and No I don't know if it is against the law to have tape people but some people don't believe that Sarah was in her own house if you noticed...she took the money and walked out the door as pointed out by my a wise friend, ...I don't know if Andrew knew or not but I highly doubt it.. these are my opinions... may you keep your own... happy posting ..:whistling:

I am enjoying it because I rarely look at the forums on the other reigning houses but I do view the forums on the Greek Royal Family and History, as well as the Russian Imperial Family and History.

Sarah Ferguson backlash as America condemns Oprah interview | Mail Online

I'm very glad.

The Duchess of York faces a bitter backlash after her 'confessional' interview with Oprah Winfrey to explain why she sold access to the Royal Family.
Her tearful plea that she was trying to raise money for a hard-up friend and was drunk when she accepted a £27,000 cash sweetener failed to win over viewers in the US.
Hundreds of angry viewers posted comments on Oprah's website lashing out at Fergie.
News outlets reporting on the interview were also bombarded with negative comments.

I suspected as much that Sarah's confessional would not win her many supporters here in the States. Of course, this is only this Yank's viewpoint.

I do not think that this video would have been legal had it been recorded in the USA. I am not excusing Sarah’s behavior at all. I just have a problem with the set-up, entrapment and the secret hidden video.
Why not? It was recorded in a hotel room. That's public.

I'm happy that her campaign to look as the victim didn't work. I've read the post about the interview and really she deserves what she gets imo.

Why not? It was recorded in a hotel room. That's public.
I think that a hotel room is not public at all at least in european law.

I think that a hotel room is not public at all at least in european law.
Lady Agogo mentioned not being able to video in one's own home. Sarah was NOT in her own home.

The hotel room is a private place, just like her home would be.
I don't think she has a leg to stand on if she tries to sue, don't put ideas in her head. ;)

An interview in a hotel room just says they want privacy without an audience around. The Beverly Wilshire is an excellent hotel, so I don't see the problem with that. It's good that it was a one-on-one interview. If the audience was there there's no telling what they might have said or done.

I don't know why the press has been saying America has accepted Sarah. There's lots of Americans who do not accept her opinion or apology. I for one, felt sorry for her after the interview. I do like how she said "The show must go on". No matter how down one is, they have to continue on. It was smart of her to go on Oprah, because now she can start fresh.

I sincerely do not like the fact that the Duchess of York needs money. To me, it doesn't look well on the BRF.

Why? I don't see how this affects the BRF? There have been no stories including them in a bad way, they are only slightly mentioned as in cases of "What would the Queen think?" etc.
To me it does have an affect on the girls but only because of what Sarah has done.

It HAS had an effect on the BRF simply because people keep talking --especially Sarah--about her small settlement. Which reflects on the BRF. Be that as it may, Russo got a paltry settlement as well from the 1st husband (who literally didn't have a leg to stand on--HA!) and never looked back. We own our own business, a rental house, our house and an office building. It's what I MADE of it. And Sarah had that capability as well.

I'm sorry but anybody can realise that what she was given, SHE could have handled better, she could have invested in something that would make her money. The money she made from books, sponserships etc if she had handled better she would be okay.
Just as you did Russo, she should have made the best of what she had.

The hotel room is a private place, just like her home would be.
I don't think she has a leg to stand on if she tries to sue, don't put ideas in her head. ;)

I don´t know if I am mistaken but I don´t think it was even her own hotel room, didn´t she take the money and leave? If so it was the room rented by the reporters and she went there to "do the deal".
I agree with you though, please no one give her ideas.
The papers are saying it didn´t go down that well with the US audience, there were some who sympathised but not that many, at least the ones who wrote or phoned in.
I feel sorry for the Queen, why should she have to pay out money to Sarah, she is her ex-daughter-in-law and she had more than enough money to live on at the time of the divorce, she was not even the innocent party, also the Queen gave her the money to buy a house and she didn´t. Why?

I sincerely do not like the fact that the Duchess of York needs money. To me, it doesn't look well on the BRF.
Yes, I agree it would look bad.
Luckily, Sarah isn't the Duchess of York.
Russo got a paltry settlement as well from the 1st husband (who literally didn't have a leg to stand on--HA!) and never looked back. We own our own business, a rental house, our house and an office building. It's what I MADE of it.
Bravo Russo!

Bravo Russo!
Thank you! Thank you very much! I'm here 'til Friday. Try the veal!
:D

I'll bet another bottle of Merlot Sarah is already thinking of suing the tabloids. . . :whistling:

What do you mean?

She is Sarah, Duchess of York.
It isn't her title, it is her surname, a style.
I think Idriel is saying because she isn't a member of the BRF, it does not impact them.

I didn't think that calling Sarah that was necessary or kind, no. To say something like that to a woman who has already called herself "stupid", "idiotic", "in the gutter" etc. is rather cruel. My opinion of Oprah isn't a high one in any case, and this confirms it. Sarah is, in my opinion, at the end of her rope and doesn't need further confirmation of how wretched she is.:ermm:

I just have to ask, though--I don't watch Oprah, but was it really necessary to call Sarah "spiritually and morally bankrupt"?

You know, an engagement by Wills and Kate would put the kibosh on the whole Sarah deal. . . .Just sayin'. . . .:whistling:

I agree she needs to be under control. I think a nice stay at a rehab place with plenty of psychological therapy for Sarah to really learn to LOVE HERSELF--warts and all! Would be just the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom