Sarah, Duchess of York: "Cash for Access" - May 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
u

They can't wash their hands of her as she is permanently linked and she will attend royal functions that relate to the princesses so she will still have contact. It is necessary for the RF to consider the options and maybe revisit the divorce settlement as that was woefully inadequate for her situation.

You are right up to a point, she will always be the mother of the two girls, but I am afraid that if she is "asked" not to use "Duchess" by the Queen she would understand that the Queen´s requests are to be listened to, and stop. I
can´t see her making money for talking tours and representing products in the US as "the mother of two princesses" at least in the US the word Duchess carries weight, (sorry for once no pun intended). I don´t think that any divorce settlement would be adequate for Sarah, she is a spendthrift and doesn´t seem to be able to stop herself.
She is always sorry, but I feel she has gone too far this time for this to be taken seriously.
As said many times before, she is no teenager.
By the way, what royal functions does she attend?

If she isn't to use 'Duchess' what is she to use though? That is really her surname now so she would need a new name - the only other one is Mountbatten-Windsor which is even more associated with the royals as that is their surname.

Her divorce settlement was about 1 million pounds and a house and some money to help with the children, which amounts to about 15,000 pounds per year. Not much considering Diana got 17 million pounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm really shocked. i can't imagine what BP will have to say.

The Queen could ask her not to use that style anymore. Sarah could then issue a statement that from now on she should just be called Sarah Ferguson and not Duchess of York.
The Queen could also ask her to live abroad and you know as well as I do that when the Queen asks you something it is not a request but an order.
And ofcourse there are the men in grey who could put some pressure on Sarah.
Is this not some kind of bribery or corruption that she took part in? I don't know about the UK, but in my country those actions are penal.
What I meant by the titles of her daughters is that if they and Prince Andrew would be considered as minor Royals just as for example the Gloucesters, scandals like these would no get so much attention. The smaller number of important Royals the less scandals...

"The Duchess had sent two aides ahead of her with a seven-page confidentiality agreement which the reporter was told he had to sign before the Duchess would continue the negotiations. He refused to sign it, and the Duchess decided to press on regardless"
How the Duchess of York fell head-first into a tabloid trap - Telegraph

This shows both that this was NOT a spur of the moment decision, she had clealry thought it through and consulted staff to draw up such a confidentiality agreement. And it also shows that Sarah was stupid enough to still go ahead WITHOUT the agreement, is was obvisouly that desperate for the cash and that naive.

Andrew is the second son of the Monarch. He can't simply be seen as a minor royal in this or the next reign when he will be the brother of the monarch.

The Gloucesters and Kents are the cousins of the monarch but Andrew is the son. There is a difference. His daughters are her direct descendents not the descendents of her father's brothers as the Gloucesters and Kents are.

The Queen doesn't have the right to stop Sarah using the style of a divorced wife of a peer. That is Sarah's right just as it is the right of any other divorced wife of a peer - e.g. Earl Spencer's ex-wives using Countess Spencer the same way.

The Queen also would be considering her granddaughters in this and to tell their mother that she can't be treated the same as any other woman in her situation would tell the girls something they already know - that the royal family has there favourites and they aren't it.

As for being illegal - there is nothing illegal in offering to introduce someone to someone else for a fee. That is all she did - say 'look I know someone who can help you. He is my ex-husband. I can introduce you for a fee' Absolutely nothing wrong with that. If she had said 'look if you pay for dinner I will introduce you to my ex-husband nobody would see anything wrong but because it is cash there seems to be a problem.

I don't see it actually.

I do think there is a lot wrong with the set up here and there should be an investigation into the actions of the NOTW who haven't pulled this stunt once but now THREE times. This is clearly a paper with an agenda - embarass the Queen to the utmost with her relatives and destroy the royal family and all that Britain gains from having this family.

The Queen could also ask her to live abroad and you know as well as I do that when the Queen asks you something it is not a request but an order.

Sarah, Duchess of York divides her time between the UK and America anyhow. And sure, the Queen could pose the question of indefinite relocation to Sarah (which I doubt she would), but I for one don't think Sarah should be pursuaded by anyone. The monarch included.

If, and only if Sarah wishes to leave Britain, should Sarah do so. And I'd be inclined to think the Queen would think along the same lines as that is an entirely personal choice.

I do not think the Queen will get involved. IMO, Sarah herself should relocate abroad (possibly America) and live out the rest of her days outside of the public domain. She should see if she can rebuild some sort of career for herself, and just stay below the public radar.

I have grown soooo tired of people jetting around the world who don't have the means. I see it here in Florida All the time. I don't get it.............I always backed Sarah thinking she did make some of her own money but she is just like every other low life who thinks they deserve a lifestyle that they don't have the means for.
I mean,,, who doesn't want things they can't afford, but the rest of us are just trying to be grateful for what we have and go on with our day!!

I have grown soooo tired of people jetting around the world who don't have the means. I see it here in Florida All the time. I don't get it.............I always backed Sarah thinking she did make some of her own money but she is just like every other low life who thinks they deserve a lifestyle that they don't have the means for.
I mean,,, who doesn't want things they can't afford, but the rest of us are just trying to be grateful for what we have and go on with our day!!

Maybe Andrew should just buy Sarah a condo in America and give her $3,000 per month to live on, on the condition that she keeps a low profile and does not return to the UK unless invited by him.

I really don't understand what gives members of this Forum the right to subject those they talk about to such vitriol.

Amongst the many insults throughout threads, to call Sarah a low life is nothing short of impertinent and, imo, quite unjust.

No one here knows the emotional state of this woman, nor what goes on in her day to day life (though some may think they do). I entirely agree that she has made some pretty unfortunate choices which have lead to her own embarrassment, more than anything or anyone, but I do not feel that signifies her worth as person as being little more, than a "low life".

She's done a good deal of good aswell. But that seems to be forgotten of course...

Maybe Andrew should just buy Sarah a condo in America and give her $3,000 per month to live on, on the condition that she keeps a low profile and does not return to the UK unless invited by him.

It might be the best way to make sure anything like this never happens again but the bigger question is WHY should he have to do this? Sarah has a divorce settlement, whether fair or not she accepted this settlement. Andrew, her own children of HM for that matter shouldn't have to pay her off and keep her in a house and with an allowance. She has had more than enough money pass through her hands over her life. I read somewhere that she has 12 staff workign for her, why should anyone bail her out when she has such massive spending problems?

Had she been given a decent divorce settlement invested to ensure that she couldn't go through it she would be in a better position.
Why should the royals get involved? Simple - two members of the Royal Family are her daughters. As the mother of two princesses of the blood royal she can't stay below the radar as she will be at major public functions simply because they are her daughters.

Regardless, this is a very sad case for all involved. Sarah is obviously in a desperate situation with nowhere to turn. It's very easy to point fingers and judge but who knows what the whole deal is. Some may think greed and avarice may have played a part, but She must have been so desperate. What would we do in a similar situation? What we should be more concerned about is that News of the World would prey on people's vulngerabilities and set them up in to look as bad as they possibly can. And people buy this tabloid garbage and eat it up. Yes, Sarah made a mistake, she made unwise choices, who hasn't but what that publication did was unconscionable and inhumane. Did they do this as a news story to enlighten people, or to sell papers? What does it say about them, what does it say about us. Yes, this is a very sad situation, for everyone.

When Sarah first divorced Andrew she said that she had a tendancy to be somewhat self destructive.She stated that her over-eating and daliances with John Bryan etc were examples of this.I think this is an example of that kind of behavior.She has some serious personal issues that stem back to her own parents divorce and quite obviously she has never really gotten the help she needs.I am worried about suicide as she may see no way out from this debacle.

I don´t hope that Sarah is Diana number 2...

I really don't understand what gives members of this Forum the right to subject those they talk about with such vitriol.

Amongst the many insults throughout threads, to call Sarah a low life is nothing short of impertinent and, imo, quite unjust.

No one here knows the emotional state of this woman, nor what goes on in her day to day life (though some may think they do). I entirely agree that she has made some pretty unfortunate choices which have lead to her own embarrassment, more than anything or anyone, but I do not feel that signifies her worth as person as being little more, than a "low life".

She's done a good deal of good aswell. But that seems to be forgotten of course...
Thank you Madame Royale,
The BRF threw her away like a banana peel and she is hard up for cash.Some suggest here that she get $3,000 a month in alimony? That isn't enough for a manicure or a piece of pizza.
She did not go behind the The BRF"s back like Diana to write a book revealing all secrets did she?Condemning them and all................ never has she spoken a disparaging word against the BRF.
Say she gave out Prince Andrew's mobile number for the cash to pay back whoever- do you not think he could have changed it thereafter ?
This is now between her and Prince Andrew-
as the BRF has disowned her a long time ago-
Can the Queen ever bail her out once and for all making her sign a binding agreement that - it would be the last bailout? Sarah is navigating the Kon Tiki........INstead they have cut her adrifit because she is 'Fat" or whatever-else they do not like and they have not assisted her in her financial morass.... A bit like Diana's transportation problems.......Is Sarah supposed to hurl up into a corner and die? No.
Some here have suggested she go to jail.. ya gotta be kiddin?

I feel sorry for her.. Did she learned her lesson??? I dont know... Does she has a job?? I know she had lots of bad debt...

Sarah will never kill herself - ever. That was Diana's cry.
I feel sorry for her...
I do not feel sorry for her - she has to get out of debt - rather than selling her body she went for a mobile number - big deal.
...how does this hurt Andrew and his work as the Trade representative?
It does nothing- against Andrew- and then again if it does we will hear all about it. Sarah has worked herself to the bone more than any other royal to get out of debt before "alone and unsupported" she was younger and the Queen did not step in like caring human being to say - this is how you get it right - they cut her off because of her weight - or a pimple. Was Sarah in debt before she married into the BRF? NO never. Did he do these kind of things? No... Cute family to marry into -

It seems like any money she has made over the years, she has blown trying to live the "aristocrat" lifestyle. Nevertheless, her divorce settlement makes no sense and I highly doubt it has anything to do with not wanting to take The Queen to court.

Still, this not only stains Sarah but also Andrew. Even though he denies taking part in these schemes, it's still shady. It's not like he doesn't speak with her anymore, they are very close.

I don't see what the big deal is. This goes on across the board in all areas, in some form. The Countess of Wessex got nabbed years earlier for something similar. Princess Alexia of Greece's husband was investigated for accepting kickbacks and bribing officials.

In the grand scheme of things, there are bigger problems (N. Korea, the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, etc.).

Well, The Firm has some decisions to make. Essentially, there are two choices: Sarah has a public life in order to make a living, or Sarah has a private life in which she is "retired" from her public life and afforded a grace-and-favor and an allowance.

Neither choice is savory.

In essence, Sarah has painted the BRF into a corner with her continued antics. Should she be rewarded for this? As distasteful as it might be, then yes, if the quid-pro-quo is that she has no access to monies beyond that which are granted by the family. Her endless quest for money has led her down some unseemly paths. What started this? Her unquenchable thirst for a lifestyle to which she was not born, not entitled, and could only earn her way into (and spend her way out of.)

Just when everyone thinks that either 1) she's finally settled down; or 2) how on earth can she top this? - Sarah finds a way to make us all choke on our morning coffee. At the very least, this didn't have anything to do with sex this time, for which I am deeply grateful. The mental pictures would be unspeakable.

She received a paltry divorce settlement and you know - it was an appropriate settlement. She had to go earn her own living, and she did. She spent more than she made, which is what a lot of the world did. She did it in a spectacularly public fashion, however, and in an unseemly display.

She's out there peddling her DoY style because that's all she's got. She's a poorly educated, massively soiled piece of well-used baggage at this point, entirely unemployable. I was thinking that even Simon Cowell wouldn't hire her (and I thought that when I read that she was seated with him at the awards last evening.)

She's simply greedy. And so very child-like (not in a good way) as to require - and I am not joking here - a financial guardianship. I'm appalled that she openly admits to living off her childrens' trust. The prior Duchess of York (Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother) must be rolling so hard in her grave that one could hear her banging when standing next to it.

My solution is this:

1) The BRF provides for her an apartment or home similar to that which was provided for, say, Grand Duchess Xenia Alexandrovna of Russia, who was given Frogmore Cottage in Windsor Great Park ;

2) Living expenses for her residence are provided and paid directly from the private funds of the BRF (Andrew, his mother, whoever) but it's made crystal clear that it's not on the public's back. This would include all utilities, food provided directly from the Royal kitchens, and minimal staff such as housemaid, cook, gardener ;

3) Financial guardianship is established and a monthly allowance paid from her divorce settlement plus an additional stipend based on her net earnings from speaking engagements (net meaning her gross fee less all the absurd expenses that she demanded be covered for her in her contracts.) By this I mean: using her past earnings (perhaps normalized over a five year period)on a net basis to provide the benchmark for the additional stipend amount;

4) Any engagements or sources of outside income are vetted through the office of whichever part of the BRF has the unenviable task of trying to ride herd on her. Perhaps a secretary to be appointed from the office of the Duke of York to handle her financial and personal affairs. I hereby dub this person to be the Keeper of the Redhead;

5) Quiet word to go out to whoever her creditors currently are that their claims will be paid in due course but that in no way will anyone be responsible for any debts incurred by Sarah beyond those which are approved by the newly appointed Keeper of the Redhead;

6) A full financial and physical forensic analysis is performed. Specifically, the Keeper of the Redhead must hire forensic accountants and private investigators to find out the full extent of what she's been up to. A physical examination including a full battery of psychiatric examination must be undertaken because, to be perfectly blunt, I think Sarah may be suffering from undiagnosed mental illness such as bipolar disorder complicated by one or two personality disorders such as narcissistic and/or histrionic personality disorder.

7) Conditions attached to this include complete non-disclosure as well as close monitoring of her ongoing mental and physical health and her participation in approved medical and psychiatric treatment (excluding any unproven therapies like crystals or pyramid light tents or auras or other ^%^&) ;

It goes without saying - but whatever does actually go without saying with this one? - that any personal relationship with Andrew is ended. Since Andrew has proven himself flaccid in the face of Sarah's wildness, he just must be removed from this equation. He appears to be a good father to his girls; let him continue in that role and succeed. However, he's beyond tainted in his role as a trade envoy, so that has to end.

As tempting as it would be to just cut her loose - that girl is quite loose enough.

Last edited:
Starkie´s description of her committment to her charities is interesting too, and a little different from the general public´s opinion, but then he was with her all the time and saw everything first hand and took part in most of her ventures until.... Well it is an eye opener to read his book "Fergie, Her Secret Life".

Yes, Allan Starkie was such a respectable person himself that he should be considered the definitive authority on Sarah...:whistling:

Can I just ask what is the worse thing that can happen? I mean okay her relationship with Andrew and the rest of the family might be ruined but beside that....she can't face any legal charges or anything can she? I'm only really concerned for Bea and Eugenie cause they both really trusted they're mother. As for this whole situation I'm not sure what I feel at this point I'll have to think about it for a while and get back to you on that point. This is very tricky situation I dunno how it's going to be handled.

Also can I ask something else how does this hurt Andrew and his work as the Trade representative?

It hurts Andrew and his work because it suggests that access to Andrew can be "bought", even though he's supposed to be a totally impartial government representative. And even if Andrew didn't receive any money and didn't know what Sarah was doing, if she's done it before, it means that people with ulterior motives could be getting introduced to him and finding out "trade secrets" without Andrew knowing who they are.

Athough I'm not quite sure why, but I still have a feeling Andrew might have known something about this. Yes, Buckingham Palace and Sarah both denied it, but of course Andrew is going to be protected at all costs. Andrew might not have known the details, but I can see Sarah saying, "Mr. So-and-So wants an introduction to you and he says he's willing to pay me if I do," and Andrew saying, "Sure, if he wants to do that, let him, and I'll meet with him, as long as the money has nothing to do with me." I don't think Andrew would know the amount of money. But if Andrew is underwriting her debts, I almost think he'd be willing to meet a few businesspeople if it meant they would put some money into Sarah's hands, as long as it was clear he had nothing to do with the financial exchange. I remember reading Beatrice's ex-boyfriend's account of how Andrew woke him up early in the morning and asked for a large amount of money to help Angie Everheart in some way. The ex-boyfriend then claimed Andrew only repaid half the money. The whole thing seemed inappropriate when I read it at the time, and maybe that's why even though I think Andrew is a decent person, he's probably not a stranger to questionable financial transcations.

Can I just ask what is the worse thing that can happen? I mean okay her relationship with Andrew and the rest of the family might be ruined but beside that....she can't face any legal charges or anything can she? I'm only really concerned for Bea and Eugenie cause they both really trusted they're mother. As for this whole situation I'm not sure what I feel at this point I'll have to think about it for a while and get back to you on that point. This is very tricky situation I dunno how it's going to be handled.

Also can I ask something else how does this hurt Andrew and his work as the Trade representative?

Actually, she can face a number of legal charges on this alone. Fraud, to start with, especially since she took money and (based on her later recanting,) she claims that she doesn't actually have that kind of access. As many a public figure finds out, bribes, graft and kickbacks are forms of declarable income - so the fact that she has these cash payments is a form of hiding income. In the US, gangster Al Capone from the 1930's was not taken down on anything to do with his many violent crimes - but on income tax evasion.

This opens up a lot for any law enforcement agency to look into. She has found herself on the receiving end of collections procedures for bad debt; it could be reasonably argued that she is hiding assets (by taking cash) for the purpose of evading lawful debt, which is another very serious charge.

Do I actually think that will happen? Nope. Could it happen? Yup. Has she left herself open for criminal charges? Pull one loose thread on the tapestry and it comes unraveled; this is a prime example.

Sarah is a private citizen now; she is subject to the same laws as any other person in the UK.

Weirdly, as self-destructive as Sarah seems, it was ultimately Diana who was the most self-destructive, huh? Sarah does seem to have some/emotional psychological problems at times and I don't know how much of that is due to her parents' divorce and how much is her personality. Mostly I think she doesn't really live in the real world. But she always bounces back from her crises.

In the end I don't know how much this will hurt Sarah's relationship with her immediate family and the royal family. If they don't know who Sarah is by now, they'll never know. Just as it seems to be with the general public, the people who supported her before despite everything will continue to support her despite everything, and those who disliked her will have even more justification for their opinion.

I tend to agree with most if not all of NotAPretender's suggestions in post 113. I think it's time Sarah admitted to herself that as much as she wants/wanted freedom from the Royal Family she needs to accept that she will always be the mother of two royal princesses and that certain compromises with regard to how she runs her life are going to have to be made. She has not managed to invest her divorce money or other earnings wisely so as to provide a reasonable standard of living for herself. Nor have her business interests proved financially viable. She cannot in all honesty go out and get a "normal" job at a shop or office. Therefore, she and her family (including her ex-husband and ultimately the Queen) need to be pragmatic about what steps can be taken in order to prevent unsavory issues cropping up again. A re-negotiation of the divorce settlement could be attempted. An an allowance could be offered. She could stick with what she does best - charity work and writing books. I know this sounds abit pratronising, but she cannot possibly enjoy trying to do business deals like this latest one - can she? It's all too cloak-and-dagger for my liking, legal or not, it's just not seemly! I'm afraid the price of freedom outside the royal family simply does not seem to have worked to her advantage nor to the advantage of the Royal Family.

Last edited:
Beatrice and Eugenie's children will get no titles through them just as Anne's children have no titles because they are descended through a female.
Harry's will probably take the same route as Louise and James so that without anything officially being said only the children of the monarch and those of the eldest son will have the title.

I said that about Harry's children. Might have got confused about Beatrice children, i don't know the law back to front.

The Queen could ask her not to use that style anymore. Sarah could then issue a statement that from now on she should just be called Sarah Ferguson and not Duchess of York.

The Queen has not right to ask for her not to use the title, it is Sarah's by right. She only looses it when she or Andrew remarries.

She does most of the year, Just because she lives in another country is not going to get her away from the fact that she was once married into the firm.

And ofcourse there are the men in grey who could put some pressure on Sarah.

Thats just ridiculous.

Is this not some kind of bribery or corruption that she took part in? I don't know about the UK, but in my country those actions are penal.

She has spoke to a journalist, who offered her money to allow access to Prince Andrew, she took the money. I don't see any law against that.

What I meant by the titles of her daughters is that if they and Prince Andrew would be considered as minor Royals just as for example the Gloucesters, scandals like these would no get so much attention. The smaller number of important Royals the less scandals...

He is the second son of the Queen of England. He is the Duke of York, a title once held by his grandfather. No way will he be considered a minor royal.
If you took away his title he would still be a main royal. Scandals would still have an impact. The reason they don't impact the lesser royals as much is because they are sensible enough not to do them or not get caught.

She's out there peddling her DoY style because that's all she's got. She's a poorly educated, massively soiled piece of well-used baggage at this point, entirely unemployable. I was thinking that even Simon Cowell wouldn't hire her (and I thought that when I read that she was seated with him at the awards last evening.)

Exactly what I was thinking, she's nothing without her surname, I wonder how she would cope without it. Maybe that should be her punishment, to lose it for a week or so. ;)

She's simply greedy. And so very child-like (not in a good way) as to require - and I am not joking here - a financial guardianship. I'm appalled that she openly admits to living off her childrens' trust. The prior Duchess of York (Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother) must be rolling so hard in her grave that one could hear her banging when standing next to it.

I think she was rolling her eyes the day she came into Andrews life. She has always been trouble, and the royal family has put up with it for too long. She needs to understand that she is hurting her children more than anything here.

I agree with the points about having a financial guardian, i disagree with the royals putting her up and paying for her out of there own money. They shouldn't have to deal with a mess they never created but are stuck with for the simple reason that she is mother to two princess'.

Fergie faces losing royal home after being caught offering access to Prince Andrew for £500,000 | Mail Online

Sarah Ferguson attempted to put on a brave face over the £500,000 cash-for-access scandal last night, telling a charity awards dinner: 'Phew... I've had a heavy day.'
The 'penniless' duchess was at a black tie reception in Los Angeles having flown in from the South of France where she had been a guest at Naomi Campbell's 40th birthday party.

I think that's the crux of it really. With entering the royal sphere. Once in it, and things don't work out, you can't then just up and leave it with the expectation that things will be as they were, previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom