Sarah, Duchess of York: "Cash for Access" - May 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarah always looks bad but somehow she has managed to look like the victim to some (myself included). Honestly, I am not sure she can over come this...how many times can you be down and out and rise like a phoenix.

Morevor, on the Today this morning, a journalist this morning said she offered to arrange a meeting with Andrew with at least three people. No official proof, but if this is true...Goodness! It makes one wonder how often she has done this..is this the first time?

It makes me think of the unnamed Palace sources who described her as "vulgar vulgar vulgar." At the time I thought they were evil, did not support her and totally over dramatizing her actions. But now, not so sure. She brought shame on herself, her children and cause unncessary drama for HM The Queen, someone she adores and would be crushed if she let her down. How do you feel now?

I used to love Sarah warts and all but this is unforgiveable. She is like a child who refuses to grow up.

I never saw Sarah as just a victim, not back in the 90s and not now. She often refuses to listen to advice and insists on doing things her own way, which has sometimes turned out to be a good choice and sometimes has gotten her into enormous trouble. I defend her when journalists purposely pick on her and distort the truth, because they do, often. But in this case she has made everyone who has defended her look silly and her critics seem vindicated, which makes me a little angry with her to be honest. Sarah isn't 30, she's 50, she should have and did know better.

But unforgiveable? I wouldn't even say that of someone I disliked. If a person is unforgiveable then there is no point in that person ever trying to do any good in the world again. Sarah has done a lot of things in her life, some good, some bad, just like all of us (it's just that with Sarah both the successes and mistakes seem to be more spectacular). She has supported charities, she paid off her debts once before, she maintained a friendship with her ex-husband, she helped produce a movie. At the end of the day Sarah messed up (again), and she can't go back and change it. Now she can either go away and never be seen and heard from again, or she can do what she did last night and show up at an awards presentation for a children's charity, where people seemed to be genuinely happy that she turned up.

I mean, she has to go on. Sarah still has commitments to charities and there are still people who value her support. Now that she has done this is she supposed to hide for the rest of her life? I can't see that happening.

Had she been given a decent divorce settlement invested to ensure that she couldn't go through it she would be in a better position.
Why should the royals get involved? Simple - two members of the Royal Family are her daughters. As the mother of two princesses of the blood royal she can't stay below the radar as she will be at major public functions simply because they are her daughters.
Bullocks! Sarah made a TON of money off her books, engagements, spokesperson contracts, etc. and here she still is again, spending and getting herself into trouble.
The problem, as I see it, with Sarah offering as the go-between is that it opens a whole kettle of rotten fish. If Prince Andrew can be seen as "Being Bought" then his reputation will be at risk in his career of Trade Envoy. Is that something anybody wants to see happen?

It is obvious that Sarah learned Nothing from her first experience and I am quite certain that she never will.
I agree Udyusa. Why would HM want to REWARD bad behavior by giving Sarah money??

If it's exchange for good behaviour and silence, I think that Sarah might go for the deal. If she talks or embarrasses the Queen again, she loses all financial support.

I agree Udyusa. Why would HM want to REWARD bad behavior by giving Sarah money??

Here is a woman who will be 51 in October 2010. She seems to be searching for something but I doubt even she knows what it is. She said some years ago she would like to remarry and have another child but whether she was really serious or just teasing the press who knows. She is never going to let go of her title Duchess of York and be plain Sarah SMITH again. The gravy train ain't going no where. In a few months time all will be forgot and she will be back to her old tricks again.

If it's exchange for good behaviour and silence, I think that Sarah might go for the deal. If she talks or embarrasses the Queen again, she loses all financial support.
How can you trust her? She's got a history of bad behavior and she certainly didn't keep her mouth shut in her autobiography.

I have a feeling that this will swept away and some financial consideration given. This woman is an uncontrolled powder keg. What the RF will not be able to stand is if in her desperation for money Sarah really writes a tell-all book about the whole family, including Princess Diana. She knows enough to rock the world.

All I can say is shame on her. If Andrew is behind this, then she should know better than agreeing to this kind of stuff cause it would blow up on HER face like it just did, and if he isn't then is worst cause she is not only making money out of the prince's name but being a liar and a thief

At the end of the day, yes her public image suffers, but also the monarchys', although we as royal watchers understand she is no longer asociated with them, except by her daughters, the general public doesn't and this will be bad publicity for the BRF

I have a suspicion there may be a backdoor deal going on here. Sarah will take all the heat and shame for this, and Andrew and Co. will help sort out her financial mess. I do not believe that Andrew is entirely innocent, I just cant. This seems like something that both Andrew and Fergie would agree to, at least to a certain extent.

Sarah has self-destructed again. She built up a rather good life for herself and did some pretty decent things, but not she has kicked it in the butt. It will definitely be hard to start all over, again. As long as Andrew is protected from this, I think in a few months time we will have a calmer and tamer Sarah. Simply because I think her daughters and ex-husband will put a stop to her flashy ways.

The York Princess's no longer need mummy and daddy to play happy families anymore, the relationship between Sarah and Andrew is going to have to be redefined. Either remarry, or move out and apart. I like Sarah and I'm sure she will bounce back somewhat and not just disappear completely, she doesnt have a choice really. Her daughters will be in the public eye for the rest of their lives and I don't think they will tolerate a loose canon mother embarrassing the future roles they will create for themselves.

Okay i'm sorry but you cannot compare the funeral of Princess Diana to the divorce settlement of Sarah and Andrew and her catastrophic mistakes afterwards.

In the eyes of the Queen, Diana was certainly not perfect, in fact Sarah was better, she never went to the press, she never tried to sell her story, she never tried to through herself down the stairs when she was pregnant with Bea or Eugenie.
I'm sorry but for £3,000 a month i would go away. I would make my own life and I would deal with my circumstances.
Sarah, as Zonk said had to change her lifestyle because she did not have the same amount of income. However, she wouldn't, she wanted to keep her royal lifestyle, and if she had handled her money and invested in the right places, maybe she could have.

The Queen should NOT have to sort out and play off another problem of someone who has nothing to do with her. It is SARAH who got herself into this mess and SARAH should get herself out.

It wasn't Dianas fault she died in that tunnel, and the Queen came under huge amounts of pressure to fly the flag at half-mast, to give her a full blown funeral. I see none of the same pressure for Sarah.

Oh dear, I am in full agreement again. :ohmy: Sarah is an adult, she got herself into trouble and why should the Queen give her more money so that she can keep on spending and getting into debt, because from past experience we see that is exactly what she will do. The Queen´s main problem now is her son, Prince Andrew, but I am sure she will be able to deal with that particular problem.

what gives?

If Scotland Yard says that Sarah didn't do anything wrong then she didn't. It's not like she was selling drugs, dark family secrets, or whatever. People do this all the time she's probably not the only European royal that has done these types negotiations. Personally don't find any fault in it. She has a lot of financial problems she had to what she had to do. She lives off her daughters trust funds but not in manipulative way. And she is currently being sued. So she needs to get funds one way or the other. Her actions are justifiable.

Prince Philip has another reason not to like her. Sarah will have wait until he dies to be in good terms with that family. Again.

Just because its not a crime doesn't mean its not immoral or not ethical.

In Andrew's position he should promote British business but its an objective position. You shouldn't have to pay to have access to him. It makes him and the position look shady.

Just because its not a crime doesn't mean its not immoral or not ethical.

In Andrew's position he should promote British business but its an objective position. You shouldn't have to pay to have access to him. It makes him and the position look shady.
BINGO Zonk! You took the words right out of my mouth. I feel for the Princesses.

Very poor judgement on Sarah's part. I do like her and wish she could have eventually reunited with Andrew -- that will NEVER happen now!

Not illegal ... more unethical than anything. For shame :bang:

I have a suspicion there may be a backdoor deal going on here. Sarah will take all the heat and shame for this, and Andrew and Co. will help sort out her financial mess. I do not believe that Andrew is entirely innocent, I just cant. This seems like something that both Andrew and Fergie would agree to, at least to a certain extent.

Sarah has self-destructed again. She built up a rather good life for herself and did some pretty decent things, but not she has kicked it in the butt. It will definitely be hard to start all over, again. As long as Andrew is protected from this, I think in a few months time we will have a calmer and tamer Sarah. Simply because I think her daughters and ex-husband will put a stop to her flashy ways.

The York Princess's no longer need mummy and daddy to play happy families anymore, the relationship between Sarah and Andrew is going to have to be redefined. Either remarry, or move out and apart. I like Sarah and I'm sure she will bounce back somewhat and not just disappear completely, she doesnt have a choice really. Her daughters will be in the public eye for the rest of their lives and I don't think they will tolerate a loose canon mother embarrassing the future roles they will create for themselves.

Is there any evidence that he has ever been a part of these sort of dealings? Without that I don't think it's wise to include him as a possible conspirator in these sad dealings. I don't see any reason to suspect him. His ex wife made a mistake which isn't criminal. Unethical yes but not criminal. I do feel sorry for her to a certain extent but I feel more for her husband bc her wrong decision now leaves him open to people thinking he's guilty of something.

I said that about Harry's children. Might have got confused about Beatrice children, i don't know the law back to front.

The 1917 Letters Patent make it clear who gets titles. Those who get HRH -

The children of the monarch - Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward
The male line grandchildren of the monarch - William, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise, James, Duke of Gloucester, Duke of Kent, Michael of Kent and Alexandra and the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales.

Great grandchildren of younger sons who don't have titles e.g. Prince Michael of Kent - pass on Lord or Lady.

That's it - no one else gets a title.

Harry's children won't get HRH until Charles becomes King, nor will any of William's except his eldest son (or course the Queen could issue LPs to change that as happened in 1948 when she was pregnant with Charles when George VI issued LPs giving HRH status to all chidren of Princess Elizabeth)

The Queen has not right to ask for her not to use the title, it is Sarah's by right. She only looses it when she or Andrew remarries.

She looses it on remarriage but the ending of that marriage would allow her to revert to using it.

Andrew's remarriage would have no effect on Sarah's right to style herself, Sarah, Duchess of York. This is NOT a title for Sarah but a style. If Andrew remarried his wife would be xxx, The Duchess of York and Sarah would remain Sarah, Duchess of York.

There is no evidence, its just my little hunch. Andrew and Sarah seem too chummy in my eyes for him not to know what is going on. Its just the way that Sarah talks about Andrew in the footage that makes me a little suspicious. But this is just me throwing up ideas.

A few months ago I heard that Sarah had her financial troubles sorted out and was going well, until the global financial crisis wiped out her money that was invested. Now it appears that she is desperate again. Either Sarah accepts very bad advice or she is naive and foolish. This journo is well known for setting people up and she should have been more circumspect. I just feel sorry for her now. Especially as this scandal will strain her relationship with Andrew.

Bullocks! Sarah made a TON of money off her books, engagements, spokesperson contracts, etc. and here she still is again, spending and getting herself into trouble.
The problem, as I see it, with Sarah offering as the go-between is that it opens a whole kettle of rotten fish. If Prince Andrew can be seen as "Being Bought" then his reputation will be at risk in his career of Trade Envoy. Is that something anybody wants to see happen?

Had she been given a decent divorce settlement she wouldn't have needed to make those deals to get into those positions but would have been able concentrate on doing charity work only.

Her divorce settlement was pitiful considering that she is the mother of the Queen's grandchildren and when compared to the 17 million that Diana got. Sarah got about 1500 a month, a house and a flat figure of about 1 million.

Now to you and me that might be fine (although I couldn't live on 1500 pounds a month and my children aren't the Queen's grandchildren and I don't have a mortgage having paid my house off 20 years ago) but she also has to be able to live according to a style that befits the mother of two princesses so she can't buy her clothes at K-Mart and would be expected to have some new formal dresses a year etc.

But why should the Queen offer a settlement? She wasn't married to Sarah. It isn't the responsibily of the mother of the husband to pay off someone's divorce...its the responsibilty of the respondents. And lets face it, prior to their divorce...did Andrew have any money?

He wasn't born when George VI died so not sure if he was left anything for the Queen's future children when he died. Phillip's parents had nothing. Any older royals (i.e. Marie Louise, etc.) left money to their god children (Prince Richard of Gloucester). The only time Andrew has come into any type of money (to our knowledge) has occured when the Queen Mother died. And Andrew and Sarah were divorced WAY before that.

Andrew didn't have any real money at the time as he hadn't inherited any. He was then and still is largely reliant on what his mother given him. Even now his job for the government is unpaid so his only real income comes from the Queen and the interest on any trust funds he has from the Queen Mother, and any other deals he might have been able to make such as selling Sunninghill.

Just because Sarah talks about Andrew as though they are very close doesn't mean she tells him everything. I think she exaggerates about how close they are...for instance I doubt he really calls her "five times a day." So I would not be surprised if Andrew didn't know the details of what went on; however, I agree that when I watched the video of Sarah and the reporter, some of what she said made me feel that Andrew must have known a little bit about it.

The thing now is that any possible hint that Andrew has misused his job will get much closer scrutiny (even closer than it already gets, if that's possible). The door has been opened now and I have a feeling journalists will be doing their best to dig up the dirt on Andrew's dealings with Middle Eastern sheikhs, ex-Soviet politicians and oil tycoons, etc.

Had she been given a decent divorce settlement she wouldn't have needed to make those deals to get into those positions but would have been able concentrate on doing charity work only.

Her divorce settlement was pitiful considering that she is the mother of the Queen's grandchildren and when compared to the 17 million that Diana got. Sarah got about 1500 a month, a house and a flat figure of about 1 million.

Now to you and me that might be fine (although I couldn't live on 1500 pounds a month and my children aren't the Queen's grandchildren and I don't have a mortgage having paid my house off 20 years ago) but she also has to be able to live according to a style that befits the mother of two princesses so she can't buy her clothes at K-Mart and would be expected to have some new formal dresses a year etc.

Thats what I said...Andrew had no money at the time.

I am sorry, Queen's grandchildren or not. All divorce settlements are based on the actual person in the marriage. That's Andrew and not the Queen. Therefore, Sarah got what was due her. I am sure the money she had did not include child support for Beatrice or Eugenie. She didnt have to pay their living expenses off that figure.

No one least of all me is begruding Sarah earning a living. Even a living off the Duchess of York title. My point is several millions have passed thru her hands...even accounting for the global economic melt down..she should have somethign to show for it.

She HAD a decent divorce settlement. She kept racking up the debt and spending way beyond her means. And it keeps happening.
If you read the Starkie book you know her charity work is whimsical at best. She is not consistant, she is not grounded. Even if she were given a decent settlement at the time of her divorce to Andrew Russo bets a good bottle of Merlot she would have mucked that up as well. The woman is seriously flawed. I have no respect for her because she hasn't any for herself.

No one least of all me is begruding Sarah earning a living. Even a living off the Duchess of York title. My point is several millions have passed thru her hands...even accounting for the global economic melt down..she should have somethign to show for it.

With Weight Watchers for ten years Sarah got one million or two a year. I think she should have something left. 10 million or 20 million is a lot of money to spend. I really think this time she might have really made Prince Andrew mad. His work reputation is in question now. I am very interested to see what happens to their relationship. :flowers:

I dont think Sarah was with Weight Watchers for ten years. And i do think she lost some of her money in the global climate....but hasn't anyone learned from the Great Depression?! The market crashes of the 80's and 90's?

You don't put all your money in risky investments. You put a portion of it in that. You keep some of it in accounts you can't touch...that you give you a low rate of return.

I dont think Sarah was with Weight Watchers for ten years. And i do think she lost some of her money in the global climate....but hasn't anyone learned from the Great Depression?! The market crashes of the 80's and 90's?

You don't put all your money in risky investments. You put a portion of it in that. You keep some of it in accounts you can't touch...that you give you a low rate of return.
Heck she could have just invested through her bank! They always have a series 6 or 7 banker on hand who could have put her in bonds or mutual funds that were low-risk. It CAN be done!

The problem is that Sarah lived beyond her means. She wasn't the first and wont be the last. Living beyond ones means certainly caught a lot of people in the last economic nightmare that we are still living in. She simply had more money going out and less money coming in.

I wonder if her business dealings were as a LLC or a corporation. Then she would have had less personal liability. Which isn't a comfort to those she does business with but it would have helped her a bit and lessened her loss.

She HAD a decent divorce settlement. She kept racking up the debt and spending way beyond her means. And it keeps happening.
If you read the Starkie book you know her charity work is whimsical at best. She is not consistant, she is not grounded. Even if she were given a decent settlement at the time of her divorce to Andrew Russo bets a good bottle of Merlot she would have mucked that up as well. The woman is seriously flawed. I have no respect for her because she hasn't any for herself.
I have to agree, whatever the settlement, she'd have spent all of it. Definately living beyond her means. When you think about it, she really could have had a tidy little life. Live free of charge with Andrew, see her girls whenever she wanted and done some charity work on the side. She could have banked her payments and still taken decent vacations and bought nice clothes.

This might of course trigger a re-marriage strange as it seems. The royals would have more control over her if she was fully in the family rather than a loose cannon out of it.

This would be the most sensible approach, IMHO. The other option floating around - setting her up with a home and monthly allowance, in return for good behaviour - I'd label as second choice.

"Cutting her loose" would be very unwise at this point, methinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom