Sarah, Duchess of York: "Cash for Access" - May 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can believe it's come to this. Who put herself in this latest financial debacle? Sarah, and instead of forging ahead and working hard to recover as she did before, she's now too lazy and has resorted to finding money in a so-called quick and easy way so she doesn't strain herself from a little work. Sarah's put Andrew in a terrible position and he will probably have to step down from his trade position and now all of his trade work will be suspect even if he is/was completely honest. Andrew needs to distance himself from his ex-wife in all but family matters.
I don't believe Sarah was naive, she knew exactly what she was doing and greed was her downfall. Her credibility is gone.

I don't think greed was her downfall...I think if Idriel is correct (I have yet to see the video) I think she was desparate.

Andrew will have to distance herself from this. She really needs to slow down on the jet set life. Its apparent she can't afford to support herself in the matter she likes to live.

I also agree with rmay286 to some extent about the NoTw reporter. Truly this is Sarah's fault, no one made her her do this...but surely there are other stories to write about. Why target Sarah. Oh I forgot, because she would be silly enough to fall for it. And really did anyone hold NoTw with any respect. Its not like its the London Telegraph or Evening Standard. Its a tabloid and they went for an easy target who doesn't THINK things out before she acts!

I actually think that Andrew might have to choose between his trade role and Sarah. In regards to NoTW, what makes me very suspicious is that they claimed a "whistleblower" went to them with the story about Sarah out of concern for Andrew's reputation. Who would go to the News of the World, of all papers, with this story? Actually, what person truly concerned with the reputation of the monarchy would want this story to go public? Sarah completely got herself into this mess, and I don't even think it was because she didn't think this time...the article even said she was suspicious, but her desperation (I also don't feel that in this particular case it was greed) for money got the better of her, which is really sad. But I do think that people used her as well, which has happened before and probably will happen again.

Apparently Ian Halperin, the man who predicted Michael Jackson had six months to live six months before he died, has published an article that says Sarah is on a suicide watch and Andrew is about to throw her out of Royal Lodge.
Ian Halperin: Sarah Ferguson Contemplates Suicide - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
Halperin is a sensationalist nutcase. His Jackson prediction was a fluke (Jackson died because of a medical error (maybe a murder), not of natural causes or illness). He has no credibility. His book on Brad Pitt and Angelina was an absolute joke.

So, I would not believe anything he says but it's clear that he's just making a not so-far-fetched guess considering the situation.
There will be pressure for Andrew to sever ties with her, if not for his sake, then for the Firm's sake. And then, what does she do? She's broke; what are her option? The video shows her desperate enough as it is, I can't imagine what it would be like if her material situation worsen.
However, I have to say that at the moment I have a lot less respect for the NoTW journalists than I do for Sarah. It's one thing to find out that someone is doing something wrong and privately expose them to the people directly involved. It's another thing entirely to expose them to the entire world. And the articles go on about Sarah being "greedy" and "shameless." Hmm. I wonder what possible motivations NoTW could have had for creating this story?? Because they did create it.
Well, the NOTW claims that there were two instances of such deals occurring before their own sting. So Sarah may have created the story after all.

Regardless, I don't find any glee in her shame and I find utterly amusing the lack of self awareness and irony the News displays by calling others greedy and shameless.

Oh Sarah! I couldn't watch the whole video, it got to the part of her wiping away her tears and I had to stop. She looks so desperate and broken. I always liked Sarah. She seemed so real, so human compared to Diana. I think she cares a great deal for Andrew and I doubt she ever meant to cause any trouble for him, but her situation seems almost hopeless. She can't raise the money to pay her debts like before, times have changed too much for that. The aging ex-wife of Prince William/Harry's uncle is not going to attract a lot of attention today. Most younger people probably don't even know who she is. She was desperate and did a stupid, stupid thing. I pity her really.

Sorry..rmay286...people use Sarah because she allows herself to be used. She is not new to the scene...she has been tarred and feathered by the British tabloids for the last 25 years. Some of it her fault and some of it theirs.

She gets no pity from me on this one.

What's the point of even going after her? She has no power, she's not married to Andrew. It looks like people wanted someone to write about and found an easy target.

What's the point of even going after her? She has no power, she's not married to Andrew. It looks like people wanted someone to write about and found an easy target.

I would agree Zaja...its like kicking a dog after its already down. The problem is that Fergie and the image of freeloading Royals still sell. The tabloids (NOTW and the Daily Mail) have a certain kind of clientle and they don't care about the good things that the royals do, or the hard working royals. They will also go for the lowest common denominator story. Look at all the headlines about cheating celebs. Nothing about serious issues (i.e. the war, the economy, a broken government system). That's not the stuff people want to read about. People are suffering and they want to kick someone who they feel is beneath them or because of the status quo has privileges that they are not entitled to it...and use their privileges in a bad light. Its sensationalism journalism at best. If you look at the comments...they are all pretty vulgar and demeaning. Of course, Fergie did herself no favors by falling for this trash..

Let's face it. Fergie as much as love her was not a fit for the BRF there is no other way to put it. The little grey men in the Palace were right. Instead of saying everyone is picking on me, its not my fault, ...she had an opportunity and blew it.

Sad that it's come to this. It really truly is. Even for those of us who are not fans or supporters of Sarah, this is sad. I'm afraid the repurcussions will be drastic. And I agree, there's no sport in continuing to attack someone who's already down.

Apparently Ian Halperin...has published an article that says Sarah is on a suicide watch and Andrew is about to throw her out of Royal Lodge.
I had wondered the same thing about suicide, sadly, when I saw the tape. She is slurring her words and doesn't seem entirely coherent. And for someone who has been in the public eye for 25 years, this is inconceivably stupid. I hope that someone can get her any mental health help that she needs. This is very, very, sad.

Having said that, she is still living off a 14 year-old divorce. Perhaps it would have been a healthier path if, all those years ago, she left public life and found other ways to make a living. All she has done lately is to recycle old stories again and again and, apparently, make bad financial decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duchess of York sorry for 'serious lapse in judgment' after tabloid sting - Telegraph

The Duchess of York has apologised for her "serious lapse in judgment" after she was filmed apparently offering to sell access to her ex-husband Prince Andrew for £500,000.

The Duchess issued a statement which said: "I very deeply regret the situation and the embarrassment caused.

"It is true that my financial situation is under stress however, that is no excuse for a serious lapse in judgment and I am very sorry that this has happened.

"I can confirm that The Duke of York was not aware or involved in any of the discussions that occurred. I am sincerely sorry for my actions.

"The Duke has made a significant contribution to his business role over the last 10 years and has always acted with complete integrity."

BBC News - Duke of York 'unaware' of ex-wife meeting with reporter

Oh, Sarah. I feel like I am always defending her and I don't want to come across as though I'm defending what she did here, because I can't. The whole "Andrew didn't know" means she is admitting she lied, which I think is the worst thing of all. Can you imagine Beatrice and Eugenie finding out that their mother lied to someone about their father?

Sarah isn't unintelligent and she has lots of good qualities. That's why I find this so sad, because everything good she's done will be overshadowed by this for a long time. I still think Sarah has mostly good intentions, but she has no clue how to earn money appropriately and seems to be in a constant state of denial about her finances. She got desperate and this is the result. And I think after reading her statement I would have to agree with Zonk. Sarah did it to herself. I don't know how she's going to come back from this one. It will forever come up in interviews.

I think that the person might have chosen NOTW because they do these "sting" things fairly often. Another paper might have sat on the information and saved it for another time, but News of the World tends to go for the jugular. One thing's for sure, whoever the informer was certainly has it in for Sarah and/or is very protective of Andrew and the rest of the RF.

Well said, Jenc. I couldn't agree more with your comments. You have written what I have thought for years but couldn't find the words... This whole scenario is just pathetic.

The thing is that Sarah rebuilt a friendship with Andrew and apparently some kind of relationship with the Queen after her divorce. She had a secure place to live at Royal Lodge, a family who loved her, and charities that wanted her support. She helped produce a successful movie. Sarah had a lot of aspects of her life under control. And she now she has put them all in jeopardy because of the one area in her life that wasn't under control--her finances.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Prince-Andrew-500-000.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Apparently Sarah has offered to leave Royal Lodge...but as the article says, if she has no money, where would she go?

If Sarah is wise, she will NEVER do another interview. One idea I've seen on message boards is that the Queen give her a home and a living stipend in exchange for confidentiality and no more scandals. Sarah needs to grow up and be sensible. If she can't live like her high-society friends and her former in-laws, she should realize that she can't. There are people with much less money who could be better friends for her, and there's pleasure to be found in small things.

This might of course trigger a re-marriage strange as it seems. The royals would have more control over her if she was fully in the family rather than a loose cannon out of it.

Yes, I think you're right. Either that or they'll make a deal with her to provide for her basic needs in exchange for good behaviour--and make the agreement as tight as Fort Knox!!!

This might of course trigger a re-marriage strange as it seems. The royals would have more control over her if she was fully in the family rather than a loose cannon out of it.

Funny that you say that, because that was something I thought of too when I wondered what the royal family must be thinking. I can't see why Andrew would have an interest in remarrying Sarah at the moment--he's probably (rightfully) upset with her.

But it's obvious that Sarah while out of the royal family is still capable of doing almost as much damage to it as she did while in the family. As long as she is trying to earn her money, there's a possibility that she will trade in on her connections. If she were married to Andrew, she (theoretically) would be receiving enough money that she wouldn't have to work to maintain her lifestyle. Then again, Sarah was massively in debt before--when she was a royal.

Really though, an arrangement where the royal family gives Sarah housing and some kind of stipend, and she maintains a close relationship with Andrew, looks pretty much like--a marriage. Even Prince Philip has to be wondering right now whether Sarah is more of a liability in the royal family, or out of it.

If she were provided with a small house and a living allowance, she wouldn't have to stay with Andrew; so in that sense, their relationship would be less like a "marriage" than it is now. Her daughters could see her all they wanted.

Really though, an arrangement where the royal family gives Sarah housing and some kind of stipend, and she maintains a close relationship with Andrew, looks pretty much like--a marriage.

This woman has needed professional help from the beginning. She is unable to take care of herself in a mature way. She seems incapable of learning from her mistakes and just does things before she thinks them through. She is not stupid, she is foolish and inappropriate. She is also a very dependent person who probably cannot stand to be on her own. I can't imagine what is going on at the palace after this hit the papers. Can you picture Prince Philip? The Queen must feel terrible about it as she really I think loves Sarah. I can't even think about how Prince Andrew and the two princesses must be taking this new. I agree with the poster who said she has been living off this divorce for many years. I wish she had met someone to marry who could have reined her in and taken care of her. However, she probably would have messed that up as well. Again, she needs help, fast.

I finally saw the video on the local news here. There was a rumor that she's done this before. I guess that answers my question as to why target Sarah for an undercover story. NOTW is such a bottom feeding trash rag that its as painful as the story itself.

When people say she has no money, is this true? Whenever I hear that about a person with connections they seem to be doing ok lol. She's not homeless, she has food in the fridge.

I've always liked Sarah but compared to most here I really don't know a whole lot about her. Has she ever had a day to day job prior to her marriage? All I've read or remember is she was a "rich " girl that had boyfriends that gave her things here and there, helped her out. I get the sense that she's a woman child. Someone that has not figured out how to live normally or at all.

I'm going to stick up a little for Sarah here (especially since no one else is). While it's true that it looks bad because she's trading on her connections to Andrew, the fact is, consultants, lawyers, and others get paid to make introductions and arrange access to "movers and shakers" all the time. It's standard operating procedure in business.

What she was doing really comes down to proposing to be the reporter's "agent" and making a connection for him. From what the video shows, that's all she promised -- and, she made very clear that Andrew is above board.

True, it seems tawdry because of the royal connection. And, true, it she should have a better sense of the optics of stuff like this by now. But she did nothing illegal or even unethical.

As far as whether she's down for the count, I doubt it. She's a survivor, and she'll find some way to reinvent herself yet again. I think she's one of those people like Cher or Liza Minnelli who find a way to come back no matter how big a setback they have.

I have to admit, I'm not a Fergie fan, but I'd bet that she'll rebound from this, too.

"Having said that, she is still living off a 14 year-old divorce. Perhaps it would have been a healthier path if, all those years ago, she left public life and found other ways to make a living. All she has done lately is to recycle old stories again and again and, apparently, make bad financial decisions. "

Congratulations you have summarized the state of things perfectly !

I would maybe have sympathy for her financial situation if she hadn't gone between France, the UK, and then off to Los Angeles in the past week. This is hitting the bottom, I've liked Sarah and still do to an extent but this leaves a terrible bad taste in my mouth. She needs to retire to Royal Lodge and live a quiet, rather privileged, life like the old "complete aristocrat" that she is.

Having said that, she is still living off a 14 year-old divorce. Perhaps it would have been a healthier path if, all those years ago, she left public life and found other ways to make a living. All she has done lately is to recycle old stories again and again and, apparently, make bad financial decisions.

jenc, i completely agree!

her divorce left her with 15k pounds/yr and a house for some years - more than many divorced women are left. she should have gotten a job, and learned to live within her means. jackie o got a job in publishing after her second marriage ended, not for the money but to have an occupation for its own sake. fergie the "aristocrat" loved her "fabulous" lifestyle too much to do something as common as work.

but, no, the money and lifestyle were within reach, if she just reached out and sold her story endlessly and worked her connections (mostly her daughters and ex) to stay in the jetset.

her delusions of grandeur have left her in this situation. she thought the house promised to her for x years after her divorce was too small, so she upgraded to something bigger and more fitting for her and her daughters, "the queen's grandchildren."

princejohnny25: i agree! it's hard to pity someone whose idea of having nothing includes a quick jaunt to the south of france, using a private plane and yacht.

the worst to me is how shamelessly she uses her daughters: to pay for her from their trust funds, to maintain ties to the royals, the reflected glory of going about with hrh's and rpo's.

her greed and disdain for non-limelight, steady work and a quiet lifestyle within her means is an especial slap during a recession.
she should look to the example of the queen who recently took the train.

one more thing: i believe she only does charity work because it's a royal thing to do. the video makes it clear that while she suggested the businessman make a donation to a charity she was focused on getting a firm commitment and cash in hand for herself. i remember a book (her "financial advisor's"?) saying when she wanted to travel, she would tell her aides to find a charity to use as an excuse for the trip and to help pay the costs.

Poor Sarah. It was bound to catch up with her but I do not feel sorry for her. She made her bed and now she has to ...lie in it? Still, it is sad.

I've edited this post because initially I wondered if perhaps she wasn't suffering from a mental illness of some kind she was behaving so strangely in the video. But since reading more of this thread I've changed my mind/stopped looking for a reasonable reason because even if she is/was, a woman of her age and in her position has so many resources and connections available to her that it is quite shameful she's not sorted out her problems, whatever they are in a better way.
It's not as if she is "inexperienced" in the world, she is a woman of 50 and has plenty of life experience. So, as I said, after reading more of this thread I changed my mind, so I changed my post!

~trinny

Last edited:
What happens now?

I can't think of how the Royal Family is going to handle this I am sure Prince Philip has ideas (if you believe in conspiracy theories) but what is too be done.

It is obvious that the Duchess is in dire financial straits again...If the Royals cut off all contact with her that will just make here more desperate.

Remarriage is an option (its not like either Andrew or Sarah have had a serious relationship after the divorce) but that will kill Andrew's reputation.

So what is the solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom