Sarah, Duchess of York: "Cash for Access" - May 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not having read all the story, i'm not a very good person to judge, but apparently oprah did an interview with sarah (you can see the "trailer" here). in it, she asks her "you are the duchess of york, how much in debt are you?" - what a tacky, unclassy, impolite question to ask. it's decidedly unclassy of oprah to ask her such a question. she seems to think she is the queen of the world and can ask anything to anyone because of who she is - her behaviour is poor sometimes. whatever she has done, she IS STILL the duchess of york and mother to people in the succesion line to the crown of GB and the grandchildren of the queen.

YouTube - WORLD-WIDE EXCLUSIVE: Oprah Talks to The Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson - Tuesday, June 1 2010

Last edited:
The situation with Sophie was very different!

Muriel is correct, of course it was very different. Sophie didn´t ask for money, she didn´t grab a handful and run out the door. She wasn´t drunk. The worst she said was that the Queen was an "old dear" and that actually in some circles is nice to say about someone.especially a mother-in-law.
Sophie immediately withdrew from the public eye as much as she could and the Queen, if we can tell from what is said about visits and where the Queen spends a lot of time, is still very fond of Sophie, and quite rightly so.
She made one mistake, and then became the model daughter-in-law, the kind that most people would like to have.

Well hey, at least she looks good before being led via Oprah to Madame La Guillotine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back when Sarah did the documentary on Northern Moor, I wanted to find out some things for myself, so I hunted down Dawn McGeown, the lady shown on the documentary, on Facebook, and communicated with her a bit. (She seemed like a perfectly decent person, and as of last December, was having another meeting with the town council or something along those lines to discuss the community centre.)

Anyway, on Facebook you can either make your wall private or public. Dawn's happens to be open to public viewing. From this I found out that not only Dawn, but also other people who live there, were approached by journalists as soon as the Sarah scandal broke, and they all refused to speak to reporters because 1) they still support Sarah, and 2) they claimed whatever they said would have been twisted "to something bad."

This is funny to me partly because the people Sarah went and helped have actually shown themselves to be more media-savvy than her. And partly because once again, it shows that there's often more sides to a story that we don't see, because reporting is selective. No one is actually going out and reporting that the people Sarah worked with in Northern Moor still support her, but apparently, they do.

Well hey, at least she looks good before being led via Oprah to Madame La Guillotine.

Snort.

I haven't seen the interview with Oprah, but I do know that when Oprah interviewed the mistress of former presidential hopeful John Edwards - by whom she had an illegitimate child - Oprah did a masterful job of giving the person an open sympathetic forum in which to hang herself thoroughly.

I wonder if this is the same here.

Is anyone going to watch the exclusive interview on Oprah in about 15 minutes? I am and will post what she says.

Is anyone going to watch the exclusive interview on Oprah in about 15 minutes? I am and will post what she says.

thanks! very appreciated. i would love to but unfortunately i don't get oprah where i am :sad:

Some of the highlight of the Oprah interview
- Sarah says she was "in the gutter" and "been drinking" during the sting.
- "I feel sorry for her" she says about herself after watching the clip " she looks exhausted"
- "Andrew is important to me, but I had been been drinking there"
- "id been on the road for so long to the point where you put yourself in the gutter like this"
- "I've started to use food as my friend since I was 12"
- "There aren't many such words to describe such an act of stupidity"
- "This is part of me, but normally you stuff it behind you, you look the devil in the face, then you forgive" "I've made a mistake that wont be forgotten for long"
She then says her daughters say they're one hundred percent beside her and know they wont make the same mistake as her. Know it just went to commercial so ill post more after the commercial.

This seems to be a re-hash of what we've been hearing for years, except that Sarah's admitting that she was drinking. I find it odd that she referred to herself as "she" when she saw the video rather than saying "I look exhausted." Your act wasn't stupid, Sarah. It was unethical.

Thank you for your report, jonc93.:flowers:

Some of the highlight of the Oprah interview

So they're back now Oprah recaps the scandal.
- She says shes seen the video when she was at the airports but never the whole thing.
- She says she remembers as she was sitting there when she's rubbing her eyes she's really crying.
- She says he came recommended from many friends, she says a friend needed $38,000 urgently for a friend and she was crying saying thanks.
- She needed $38,000 but got $40,000 and gave it all to the friend but she now returned it to the newspaper.
- "through my actions I hurt millions of people, my family and friends"
- "after Diana died I felt very alone, my mother and best friend all died at the same time"
- Three weeks prior her friend told her he had a friend, who needed advice, this man took a fake identity as an Indian businessman, who really exists, and pretends he's being divorced and needs her advice"
- A friend said the reporter wanted to invest in her books...
- " he wanted to help me, he's a businessman."
- I made him sign a confidentiality agreement, I knew he was a reporter from the first meeting.
- " I instinctively knew he was a reporter, and I had my secretaries check up on him"
- " I actually told him you are a news of the world reporter"
- He met her for dinner and she sent her secretary to make him sign a confidentiality agreement before she arrive, he said he cant sign it without a lawyer he'd do it the next day.
- "I was in such desperation to help my friend"
- Oprah: "Your sarah ferguson you dont have access to $40,000?" " you cant ask the queen or your x uisband"?
- "No I'm divorced from the royal family and I cant ask them for money"
- O: how much debt are you in S: "substantially I cant even add up"
- " I must look at bankruptcy or other situations"

Commercial again

O: how did you go from 40,000 dollars to 500,000 pounds.
S: "I just took a long shot" "I cant even think where my head was, it makes me cringe".
O: news of the world said you've tried to do this before is it true?
S: NO! never no!
O: Why do you think they set this up then?
S: " I think I'm an over trusting stupid idiotic woman"
- " You get to a point, this is very key for people watching, this is what happens when you don't face your dark side and your demons".
-" It is me but it is extraordinary to see it I will embrace it and beg for forgiveness"
Oprah: Beg who?
S: The universe! Myself!
O: How were you told it was a sting, and it was going public?
S: Me and Beatrice were coming back from France when I heard it, I didn't want to leave the room but I had Beatrice, she asked why did they do this to you? I said I did it to myself.
Commercial again

O: So what has your ex husband said about this? Was he upset dissapointed did he scold you?
S: The thing about him and the girls are they love me unconditionally.
O: Was your family aware of the spiraling down? Your pain? Or were you covering it up?
S: "The perfection is about self hatred"
O: Have you been living beyond your means?
S; I think I have been trying to be the Duchess of York, trying to keep me up, keep Sarah going.
O: Why are you so in debt, if you're the Duchess of York?
S: I think running up huge debts and spending money is a problem that needs to be looked in. She also says its an addiction.
O: When you were asking for 500,000 did you think it was wrong?
S: Yes, the whole thing is wrong.

Another Commercial, these commercials are annoying /

We're nearing the half-way point of the documentary, and... wow. It disgusts me. I never liked Sarah, but respected what she has accomplished. Now... again, wow, disgusting.

She said how her girls had called and told her they are standing by her and loving her. That's great, and is as it should be. She then proceeded to say that because they could learn from this, she is a great mom. She didn't say that she was a great mom (and I believe she has been), and now her girls can learn from this... she was saying that this is an example of her being a great mom.

She also claims the first $38,000 was for a friend. Lots of us have friends who might at some point desperately need money. That is tragic, and I'm sure we would do what we can to help them. But you cannot move into the realm of deception and shady "business" deals (which the reporter also did) to help them, especially not involving other people like Andrew. If you truly cannot help a friend, you cannot do it. Sarah needs to accept that this is a part of life.

Sarah is great in that she tries to change the world- but she doesn't want to be the change, as the saying goes. She simply cannot accept that some circumstances in life are what they are. For example, to steal a years-old example from her "Simple Lessons Learned the Hard Way"- if you are a mom whose daughter is in a play and you have WORK across the pond, you might have to miss it. If you have the means, its great that you can fly back for one night to see it. But she cannot. She does not have the means but is millions in debt. It might be sad that she cannot do it all, but guess what Sarah? That is what we all deal with, every day. People make sacrifices to support yourself, and she has not. She finds it terribly tragic that children are starving or parentless- but she cannot even bring herself to live like non-royalty, nonetheless come anywhere near grasping what the people she "supports" go through.

Just this past weekend, a friend had to miss a very important event in his child's life because we were traveling for work. He has to work to support his son. This. Is. Life. I have always, for years now, thought that Sarah implies that the extravagant things she does for her girls are part of being a good parent. Extravagant gestures are nice, but not what makes a good parent. I have always felt that the way she says and goes things, she implies that people who don't do those things are not as high and mighty at parenting as she is. Sometimes doing the responsible thing is what is right. Perhaps this would have been a better way to teach her children.

Also, she keeps referring to herself in the third person. She is trying to communicate that the girl in the tape is not who she wants to be, but that's her. Come on now, you are not ten. Do not speak in the third person.

I was also disgusted by her blaming her being tired after months of work. Sarah, that is how all people with jobs feel at the end of a long week. It's often how they feel at the end of a long day. They do it to support themselves and the ones they love. Yea, it sucks to have to feel that way. Welcome to the world. She feels sorry for herself, she says, because she was so tired. Poor dear.

Beatrice's first reaction was "Why would they do this?" Sarah corrected her "Why did I do this to myself?" Something is seriously wrong if the first place Beatrice placed blame was on the reporters. Yes, I believe what they did was unethical. But Beatrice seems- and has always seemed- so wrapped up in Sarah's bubble that the blame is always elsewhere. That is how I feel Sarah has always portrayed her children and Andrew. Not only as if they support her, but as if nothing is ever her fault.

Sorry if anything isn't clear, I am typing as I watch with other people.

O: You got a settlement of 20,000 a year Is that true?
S: I'd be breaking the confidentiality clause if I told you. I choose friendship over money, I wanted to be friends with the boss(queen).
O: When you leave here you go to the house where the prince lives, people would think you don't have expenses.
S: he gave me a room because I don't have money for my own place.
- " I pay for everything" " speaking engagements have been good and children books too"
- Many people said not to come on the show " Shut up and go away for a year"
- " I must go forward"

These segments are getting shorter and shorter!

O: I know your charity work means so much to you..... Will you continue that?
S: I think its the safest place to me........" My grandmother always said when you feel bad help others"
- She then talks about her dad and started tearing up because she never got to say goodbye because when he died she was in Australia.
O: Do you think you learned the lesson that the spiraling down was there to teach you?
S: One hundred percent but words are cheap my actions will show that.
- " I hope to look back on that video and say that was me"
- She then says she needed to stop and take check and look at her problems such as self hate.

Another commercial ugh..

O: why did you make the decision to out yourself and talk about the situation? You could of just waited it out?
S: When you get to that level you have to ask why then you have to go forward and not say sorry.
O: How does the lesson manifest itself? We know people who spiral dont wake up the next day and say Im gonna love myself today?
S: Its new but I believe whenever something comes in now I;m gonna look at it and look at it from Sarah.
- " If I go bankrupt I go bankrupt"
O: Would you go bankrupt instead of doing what was on the tape?
S: yes bankruptcy
Oprah: On that tape that is a spiritually bankrupt person.

They say thank you and its over, the part that kills me is when she says after Diana's death she felt alone even though they hadn't spoken in 2 years.

I watched the interview on television and thought she should have listened to those who advised her to stay away from doing an interview. I don't think it did her any favors unfortunately.

The Oprah interview was very "cathartic" and I think Sarah is a brave person to face the Erinyes or Furies; but there was a lack of volubility and a bad decision made years ago with her divorce settlement which is making her go round and round in circles; probably a circular neurosis; I saw goodness in her and a lack of malice or desire for vainglory; I think it time she re thinks her divorce settlement and look at it pragmatically.Time to become a "Spartan" in all things.
My best wishes are with her.

Good for you Jaya, it is easy to trash someone and say I would do this and that, when you are not in those shoes.

Sarah needs to truly understand that there are people who do love her. Even people who don't like her would want things to work out for her in the end. I doubt that there are many people in the world who would like to see her destroyed and ground into the dirt. When she talks about receiving forgiveness from "the universe", that bothers me. The universe is matter, space, and energy. How can she receive forgiveness from something that cannot love, cannot forgive, cannot empathize, and has no compassion? Surely her sister loves her. Andrew certainly doesn't despise her. Her children love her. Sarah talks about how food is her friend; but really, I think that money is her friend--her friend that has become her enemy. She attempts to buy love and make people accept her by spending money on them and trying to make the impression that she's "important." Sarah, you are important, because you're made in the image of the One who made the universe. Things, no matter how glorious or how generously given, do not fill the void in the heart and mind.

1) Oprah doesnt get it. Sarah is not The Duchess of York, she is merely the ex wife of The Duke of York. They separated in 1992 and finally divorced in 1996, long enough for Sarah to have made a life of her own. She isnt a royal and has no need to try and live like a royal.
2) Sarah does seem in denial."I did it for a friend", yeah right we all believe that. Starts out wanting 40K and then asks for 500K. Get over yourself Sarah, you arent royal, you are just a common woman so live a quiet common life.
3)Hopefully The Queen will insist she move out of Royal Lodge( a must I think) and perhaps find her a nice cottage in the country away from any royal estate. Perhaps come up with a financial settlement with iron clad confidentiality clause and an insistance on Sarah retiring from public life/no more interviews with anyone.
4) in a perfect world we would never see or hear from this woman again until her daughters weddings
5) she made a mess out of her marriage and has continued to make a mess out of the rest of her life. I have little to no sympathy for her.
6) She is sorry and asks for forgiveness, more likely she is sorry for getting caught.

Typical celeb behavior, it's never their fault....

I saw the interview; I think she made things much worse for herself by doing it. The best thing she could do for herself and her daughters is to drop out of sight, and get some professional help. It's obvious that for all her many good qualities she is seriously damaged psychologically.

haha, I don't think anyone could word the outcome of this interview better.

Ah Sarah! Do you not understand that when you make a statement then add "But" to it, you negate the whole statement?
"This is part of me, but normally you stuff it behind you, you look the devil in the face, then you forgive"
"Andrew is important to me, but I had been been drinking there"

And she is NOT allowed to talk in the 3rd person! Russo is only allowed to do it! :angry:

:D

Forgiveness is separating the folly from the essentiality of the individual.If you have no sympathy; compassion or mercy; for her it is more a commentary about you than her.In a perfect world there are no tyrants who say that another not be seen until their daughters weddings as if they are outcasts.That they be cast out of the Royal Lodge to become homeless;Sarah is not the glass in the window that can and will be broken she is the window frame.............

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the interview; I think she made things much worse for herself by doing it. The best thing she could do for herself and her daughters is to drop out of sight, and get some professional help. It's obvious that for all her many good qualities she is seriously damaged psychologically.
I have to disagree: Charlie Manson is seriously damaged psychologically ; let's not go bananas- Just why she has to drop out of sight is beyond me .....How can things be worse when you heard her side of it.. If anyone had taken that divorce settlement they would have to be a bit off- kilter.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom