Sarah, Duchess of York: "Cash for Access" - May 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, alternatively, she could have flown to meet Andrew face to face on Friday then done the Oprah interview on Monday, either by flying back to America (would it be inconvenient? Maybe, but her convenience should be the last thing on her mind right now) or buy doing the interview long distance.

That would mean extra airmiles, though. Which Sarah can't afford and which people now know she can't afford, so the media would definitely notice if she flew back to England on the weekend and then flew into America again.

That would mean extra airmiles, though. Which Sarah can't afford and which people now know she can't afford, so the media would definitely notice if she flew back to England on the weekend and then flew into America again.

Do you think that will actually bother her?
She'll find someone to pick up the bill.

I understand that Sarah has to make a living, but why doesn't she find a career that will give her a sense of dignity? Fifty is not too old to train for a new career...

Find a career? I'm sure she won't be doing that anytime soon. Having the Duchess of York title and being the mom of heirs to the British throne, must give her a sense of "I shouldn't have to work." When in reality, she does need to work. But really, after all these years and being in her position, is it right to say she must get a job? Her days for being a doctor, lawyer, etc are over. She must know that too or she wouldn't be in such a tangle now. I think she should find something she loves to do and stick with it. Her circumstances aren't going to change, the Queen is not going to reward her with a load of cash. I don't want to see her working at McDonald's, but she should find something to do to make this world beter (Oops...*better*).

Yes, my point exactly. Aristocratic ancestry doesn't make one an aristocrat.

She has distant aristocratic blood in her.
Doesn't make her one today, she has no royal title. She wasn't a lady before marriage or anything like that.

She could get support from some wealthy friends to support her doing humanitarian work overseas...as long as the cameras are left home. A lot of people do this, raise private funding and work for non-government organizations. Even working in an NGO office would be a contribution for good.

I don't want to see her working at McDonald's, but she should find something to do to make this world beter.

Maybe she could become a lady-in-waiting to one or both of her daughters? Or is the Queen the only person entitled to have ladies-in-waiting?

Find a career? I'm sure she won't be doing that anytime soon. Having the Duchess of York title and being the mom of heirs to the British throne, must give her a sense of "I shouldn't have to work." When in reality, she does need to work. But really, after all these years and being in her position, is it right to say she must get a job? Her days for being a doctor, lawyer, etc are over. She must know that too or she wouldn't be in such a tangle now. I think she should find something she loves to do and stick with it. Her circumstances aren't going to change, the Queen is not going to reward her with a load of cash. I don't want to see her working at McDonald's, but she should find something to do to make this world beter.

Perhaps she could polish up her writing skills, and write more books. ( Not the tell-all kind. ) She enjoys children; she could write more books for them. It is a competitive business, but she already has her foot in that door. I am sure she could be published again.

Or maybe she could become a full time, professional spokesperson for one of her charities, like the motor-neurone one. Could she get paid for deeper involvement in something like that?

There must be some way that she can build on what she already knows, develop those skills, and create a new and dignified role for herself, free from scandal. That's all I'm saying. You say, "I think she should find something she loves to do and stick with it". I agree.

Maybe she could become a lady-in-waiting to one or both of her daughters? Or is the Queen the only person entitled to have ladies-in-waiting?

This is a beautiful suggestion. :)
I don't think she is, Lady Di had some, Camilla must have one at least.
But I doubt they would employ their own mother, and to employ LOW anyway, would cause scandal for the girls.

She could get support from some wealthy friends to support her doing humanitarian work overseas...as long as the cameras are left home. A lot of people do this, raise private funding and work for non-government organizations. Even working in an NGO office would be a contribution for good.

Thats true. I didn't think of that. They could support her in her endeavors. But I doubt she'd want to be tied down with an office job, even though that would be good for her:).

Can she actually do that? Wouldn't that be weird?:ermm:

Perhaps she could polish up her writing skills, and write more books. ( Not the tell-all kind. ) She enjoys children; she could write more books for them. It is a competitive business, but she already has her foot in that door. I am sure she could be published again.

Or maybe she could become a full time, professional spokesperson for one of her charities, like the motor-neurone one. Could she get paid for deeper involvement in something like that?

There must be some way that she can build on what she already knows, develop those skills, and create a new and dignified role for herself, free from scandal. That's all I'm saying. You say, "I think she should find something she loves to do and stick with it". I agree.

All of these options are good:). I was wondering about her writing skills. I know she wrote a book based on Weight Watchers. I think she would do good in the book market. Not the tell-all kind, but maybe tell-my-side-of-the-story kind of book. I 'm sure lots of people would want to hear from her.

To be honest I am not very sympathetic to Sarah. She simply lives beyond her means and should tone down her lifestyle. Being chaffeured around in a Bentley and buying expensive Hermes products while broke does not inspire any sympathy in me.

And to all the Americans or outsiders who don't know the history of the family and Sarah's extravagant lifestyle, I say to them don't be fooled. I hate the way everyone this side of the pond is pitying her and saying the royals mistreated her. Sarah brought this on herself.

Well said, LadiEncore!! I totally agree with you. Sarah has fooled soo many people over the years and it really almost sickens me that they still fall for her nonsense. Time to put a stop to this...

The last thing I want is any more telling-my-side-of-the-story books or interviews from Sarah. Children's books, history books, yes, but no more about her...please.:ermm:

Not the tell-all kind, but maybe tell-my-side-of-the-story kind of book. I 'm sure lots of people would want to hear from her.

Well not me for sure, I am getting heartily sick of the woman and her childish excuses.
Anyway how can the inexcusable be excused?

Not for me , either, Wisteria!
Now That is a good question... Let the debate begin!!

To be honest I am not very sympathetic to Sarah. She simply lives beyond her means and should tone down her lifestyle. Being chaffeured around in a Bentley and buying expensive Hermes products while broke does not inspire any sympathy in me.

And to all the Americans or outsiders who don't know the history of the family and Sarah's extravagant lifestyle, I say to them don't be fooled. I hate the way everyone this side of the pond is pitying her and saying the royals mistreated her. Sarah brought this on herself.

I agree. I posted my feelings on this a few pages back (page 12). There is little sympathy for someone who is willing to cause potential damage and harm to another to simply get what they want. While her finances and lifestyle are part of this scandal, the big issue is that she was willing to cause potential harm for money.

What I did not say in that post has been bothering me: Just because you marry a prince does mean that you are entitled to the fairy tale. However, Sarah believes that she is more entitled than anyone...she does not care who gives it to her or in what country, as long as she gets her fairy tale and can live like an aristocrat. She could not find it in England, so she comes over to the US...the land where dreams come true.

Much has been said in this thread about her divorce settlement. Sarah said that she left the royal family not with money, but with freedom and friendship. It was her choice not to get any money. Even with all the scandals that surrounded her at the time, I feel strongly that she could have gotten a few million especially since the girls were so young and could not touch their trust funds for several more years. Since she made this choice, why did/does she feel that she would not have to change her standard of living? A royal title does not dismiss anyone from financial responsibility - if anything, it makes one more financially accountable than the average person.

I think that after her Oprah confessional, nothing will change...she will continue to want her aristocratic lifestyle and will expect the US to support her in all her endeavors. Well, Sarah, if you are reading this post and this is what you want, then go for it honey. But keep in mind that the US has changed its view on extravagant living in the past two years and your actions have left a very bad taste in many, many, many mouths. America may be the land where dreams come true, but many people have had to sacrafice to live their dreams....now it is your turn.

Again....just my teeny tiny two cents worth! :flowers:

This is just getting worse by the minute :blink:
Can she renegotiate the divorce settlement now?:wacko:

Welcome, LadyHylton!
Interesting article. How reliable is the Daily Mail? I don't know much about the various British papers.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Daily Mail is a tabloid that's notoriously hard on the Yorks. They run negative articles about Andrew and the princesses as well as Sarah. That said, they probably get it right sometimes.;)

Thank you, Ladies, for making me feel welcome!

The Daily Mail is a tabloid paper so you have to take it with a grain of salt. But they do seem to get a morsel or two right a lot of the time.
I had understand she had agreed to a lesser settlement so she could have her freedom to write her autobiographies. No confidentiality agreement. That is what I read, so that may be wrong. If so, please, someone correct me.

It's not fair to the Queen & Andrew to have this be their fault since she was the one to decide she wanted to write books that no longer provide royalties.

This is just getting worse by the minute :blink:
Can she renegotiate the divorce settlement now?:wacko:

Yes a divorce settlement can be renegotiated - particularly if the financial circumstances of either party changes and that is clearly the case with Andrew after the sale of Sunninghill and the death of his grandmother, from whom he inherited a trust fund.

That woman has no shame. The persons I pity are her daughters !

You are So right, rominet. Has Sarah Ever had 'shame'? Her daughters will have so much to live with... and to live down. I do not envy them.

I dont think she will be able to get any more money out of Andrew, her financial situation changed as well. She became a millionaire, then lost it, then got it again, then lost it again. She has showed that she can make a living and survive, but always loses it by her own fault. Plus, it was Fergies toe suckin photos that instigated the official divorce. I dont really see how they could make a good argument to get more money for her? Are there any law or divorce experts to dish out facts?

How did the tabloid set up the meeting? Did they push her to do it?
How did the tabloids know she wanted to sell access to her ex husband

If so, I don't think that they had to push very hard. :sad:

Her circumstances can be brought into the situation but she can certainly argue that she got a bad deal.

With no fault divorce, which is what this divorce was, who cheated or left etc is irrelevant to determinations of this kind. Simply put the wife is usually entitled to half of the husband's assets, or more if she has custody of the children, which she didn't. Once his circumstances changed she can, and many have, petitioned for a reconsideration. The fact that she has made and lost money should be taken into consideration but so will her ability to earn an income for herself - her qualifications (none) so her only means of earning an income is to play on her 'of York' name and connections. A court could rule a number of ways here but certainly a chance to renegotiate would allow both sides to put their cards on the table.

How did the tabloids know she wanted to sell access to her ex husband

They didn't.
They just asked the question, and she replied.
I doubt she was pushed into the meeting at all.

If she wants to ask for more money, thats reinforces my opinion of her as a golddigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom