Princess Eugenie is expecting her first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a girl would be nice. But he or she will be in a loving home which is a wonderful thing.

I thought Thomas Brooksbank has only one son.

If the baby would be born with some disability they would love him/her just as much as the healthy one.

I was referring to Wolfie who is the York's step grandson, which makes 2.

A disabled child can still be a healthy child. Perhaps its the pediatric nurse in me but I'd never refer to a child born with a disability, as being 'unhealthy'.

If the baby would be born with some disability they would love him/her just as much as the healthy one.

I believe Countessmeout is counting Wolfie (Edo's son) as a step grandson, especially as Beatrice has been in his life since he was 2 or so.

I am sure they would love a baby with a disability or a serious illness and do everything within their power to make sure they got the best treatment. But "healthy baby" is usually much higher on the priority list than wanting a specific biological sex.

If I had to guess I'd say boy, based on nothing but feeling but we'll see.

Beatrice will spend some time with Wolfie but of course his mother will get the most time with him. Bea will not be raising Wolfie but be in his life, Edo and his ex will do the lion's share of the parenting. I don't know if Wolfie's mother will marry but then he will have another step parent to bond with if that happens.

I think she included Wolfie. So, there is one boy on the Brooksbank side and one boy on the York side.

And thanks for reminding that wishing for a healthy baby is great (and I am sure the parents' wish) but it kind of suggests that an 'unhealthy baby' wouldn't be ok and that might be painful for those with different experiences.

Beatrice will spend some time with Wolfie but of course his mother will get the most time with him. Bea will not be raising Wolfie but be in his life, Edo and his ex will do the lion's share of the parenting. I don't know if Wolfie's mother will marry but then he will have another step parent to bond with if that happens.

No one is suggesting Beatrice is now Wolfie's mother. But Edo does share custody with his mother. Beatrice wont 'spend some time' like she will see him on holidays. Wolfie will very much be a part of her life, and she a part of his. And the Yorks will be in his life as well, when he is with his dad.

I think she included Wolfie. So, there is one boy on the Brooksbank side and one boy on the York side.

And thanks for reminding that wishing for a healthy baby is great (and I am sure the parents' wish) but it kind of suggests that an 'unhealthy baby' wouldn't be ok and that might be painful for those with different experiences.

The bigger problem with that is the presumption that a disabled child is not a healthy child.

A child born with a physical disability can be just as healthy as a baby without one.

Wishing a healthy baby simply means hoping the labor goes well, and they dont have a baby struggling to live in a ICU, or dying at birth (or before).

Last edited:
Just saying that the decisions made about Wolfie would be primarily from his parents. But it will be nice to have Bea around to be with Wolfie.He will also be part of his Mom's family and have extended family to dote on him.

No one is suggesting Beatrice is now Wolfie's mother. But Edo does share custody with his mother. Beatrice wont 'spend some time' like she will see him on holidays. Wolfie will very much be a part of her life, and she a part of his. And the Yorks will be in his life as well, when he is with his dad.

The bigger problem with that is the presumption that a disabled child is not a healthy child.

A child born with a physical disability can be just as healthy as a baby without one.

Wishing a healthy baby simply means hoping the labor goes well, and they dont have a baby struggling to live in a ICU, or dying at birth (or before).

I agree that disabled and unhealthy are two different concepts... (I wouldn't equate the two but indeed responded to someone who did - but had been thinking about this issue for a while when people brought the 'healthy baby' stuff up) However, some disabilities also bring significant health problems - such as Down syndrome that for one of our friends resulted in a complicated labor and surgeries for their baby son.

In addition, I can assure you that one of my close friends as well as my close family member are both really happy with their daughters that had to fight for their lives in their first weeks... (and both still suffer the consequences in different ways). They wouldn't wish it on anyone, but surviving is more important than health. Unfortunately, one of them also knows the alternative of a baby dying at birth; so, while she very much hoped for a healthy baby in her last pregnancy, she primarily wished for the baby to live (but indeed as others pointed out gender is secondary to health - and surely to survival). [the good news is that this baby was healthy as well!]

I was born two months early both unhealthy, a bit touch and go survival wise and with a physical disability (operations and physio through childhood mostly corrected this), survival with some hope of quality of life is indeed the bottom line.

That said, there is no harm wishing Eugenie a healthy, successful pregnancy and labour and a physically fit and healthy baby with no cause for concern. Or indeed having a preference for her having a boy or girl as long as long everything is kept in priority perspective.

I was born two months early both unhealthy, a bit touch and go survival wise and with a physical disability (operations and physio through childhood mostly corrected this), survival with some hope of quality of life is indeed the bottom line.

That said, there is no harm wishing Eugenie a healthy, successful pregnancy and labour and a physically fit and healthy baby with no cause for concern. Or indeed having a preference for her having a boy or girl as long as long everything is kept in priority perspective.

With that sentiment I fully agree.

The 'need for a healthy baby' or 'as long as the baby is healthy' might loose a bit of that perspective - although the intentions behind it are positive.

Well, easy is a relative term.
I have had three easy labours, no complications, nice and comfy at home in my own bed. But at that specific moment, nothing feels easy about it.
So, there is nothing wrong with wishing Eugenie an easy labour. :)

Well, easy is a relative term.
I have had three easy labours, no complications, nice and comfy at home in my own bed. But at that specific moment, nothing feels easy about it.
So, there is nothing wrong with wishing Eugenie an easy labour. :)

Agree. It's the same as "easy pregnancy" or "easy delivery"; it's a common expression people use when they want to wish someone well. Nobody wants to wish a difficult labour or pregnancy on someone!

Are we saying baby's coming:

January, possibly?
February, probably?
March, unlikely?

Is the general consensus, boy or girl?

I think late January, early February. I think March is unlikely, but who knows.

Well now we have the fist day of 2021,let the countdown for the birth of the little Brookbanks baby begin.

Since Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank are more likely to choose traditional than trendy baby names (based on what I have gathered on this forum), I would like to share a Telegraph article (unfortunately, behind a paywall and I cannot read it) on its readers' popular baby names. Yes, it's probably not surprising that The Telegraph readers go for a more traditional route, given that they tend to lean on conservative side both politically and culturally.

Wilfred named among most popular baby names by Telegraph readers as Boris and Carrie fuel resurgence
Archie has also become a popular boys' name - perhaps inspired by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...g-popular-baby-names-telegraph-readers-boris/

Camilla Tominey (Royal and Political associate editor at The Telegraph) posted a picture of a small section article that showed the top 6 Most popular girls' name, which includes Camilla at number 6.

I actually never heard of the name, Ottilie, but from reading some comments it's quite a traditional name.

Judging from the small section of the list, it's quite a contrast to the Metro's list
https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/01/these-are-the-most-searched-for-baby-names-of-2020-13833413/

Wilfred will be out if it's a boy because Jack's brother and his wife named their son that.

I'm one of those that thinks it will be a traditional or classical name, albeit from a wider pool than William and Kate had or possibly with a slight trendy twist.

I've only ever come across Ottilie in books, and only a few times. It'd certainly be different, but I can't see them picking that.

Nobody guessed Beatrice or Eugenie! I wish someone'd choose Victoria: it's a shame that the name's died out in the British Royal Family, except as a middle name.

Archie has been popular in the UK for many years, but of course it is out for Eugenie and Jack, as will be Camilla, Boris and Wilfred (most are known as Wilf.) I used to know a couple of Ottilies in the UK but I do think it's unknown outside Britain.

I wouldn't be surprised if they choose a late Victorian name like Ivy or Ida though, as these names are very in at the moment.

I've heard of the name Ottilie and I quite like it, but it's not popular or used much at all where I live. I first came across it online. I agree that it's unlikely Eugenie and Jack will use Ottilie.

I think they'll either go for the classic route or an unconventional route (for the royals anyway) like the Tindalls and Phillips did.

I've only ever come across Ottilie in books, and only a few times. It'd certainly be different, but I can't see them picking that.

Nobody guessed Beatrice or Eugenie! I wish someone'd choose Victoria: it's a shame that the name's died out in the British Royal Family, except as a middle name.

It means fatherland and is a feminne version of Otto. But I cant' quite see it being used. Mind you its a bit better than Wilfed.

The telegraph's most popular names were based off of baby announcements printed in their paper. Less 600 babies were announced in 2019. 9 babies were named Ottilie.

If they choose a name from the 'most popular baby names' list I feel pretty comfortable thinking it will be the actual most popular babies name list. And something like Olivia if they want an O name.:flowers:

I am more and more leaning towards them going with a classic name. One that has come back into popularity in recent years. Don't see anyhting like Ida though.

Elizabeth Sarah Victoria for a girl and Andrew Philip Stamp for a boy

The telegraph's most popular names were based off of baby announcements printed in their paper. Less 600 babies were announced in 2019. 9 babies were named Ottilie.

If they choose a name from the 'most popular baby names' list I feel pretty comfortable thinking it will be the actual most popular babies name list. And something like Olivia if they want an O name.:flowers:

I am more and more leaning towards them going with a classic name. One that has come back into popularity in recent years. Don't see anyhting like Ida though.

Would it normally be the upper class that would print baby announcement in The Telegraph? If so, that might be a rather good indication on what they might fancy.

A lot of older names are back in fashion. It'd be nice if they chose Alice, because I think Prince Philip's mother deserves recognition. Others which are now "in" are Ivy, Edith (now there's a very old royal name!), Hanoverian names such as Amelia, Sophia (too like Sophie?), and Isabella.

Thereis a Lady Amelia Windsor.. and Fred Windsor had a daughter a couple of years ago who's called Isabella... so not sure about them...I think they try to find something that isn't in use already.

I’d like to see either of these names for a girl - Victoria, Alice, Alexandra, Helena, Eleanor

For a boy- Daniel, Alexander, Nicholas, Philip, Oliver, Nathan

I know some names have no royal provenance, but they’re all fairly traditional names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom