The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-03-2020, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I was surprised Eugenie's children would be allowed titles in the first place, so am not surprised that she has declined them.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-03-2020, 06:02 PM
Courtier

I don't believe there was ever any question that Baby Brooksbank was getting a title either now when they're on their way or when they were hypothetical, or that Jack was ever seriously in contention for "Earl of Northallerton" - a title that came out of nowhere - no matter what the media says.

Apart from anything else, in a climate where there are calls for the DOY to loose his titles (probably also not happening unless ever tried and convicted) they aren't going to stir that pot by "rewarding" him/his son in law an Earldom or annoucing any special titles for the children.

I believe that "sources" discussing the possibility of theoretical titles when asked about it, rather than surnames when it comes to the baby is because everyone is treating it as given that the only way the baby would be something other than Miss/Master Brooksbank is if there was a title involved ie no one is thinking there's even the vaguest probability of M-W-B because there's no reason to as the parents are married and from traditional families.

It did come up when they Phillips/Tindalls were born and was dismissed then in a similar manner because it's standard royal gossip.

Old 10-03-2020, 07:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
I do think Eugenie and Jack already knew that their children will not have titles and the Daily Mail article just want to stir up trouble by generating headlines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
This. The Daily Mail always portrays the Duke and Duchess of York as arrogant and entitled (not always without reason I admit), and by extension Beatrice and Eugenie too. None of the Yorks would ever have expected that the Princesses' husbands and children would be given "new" titles. The Fail is just stirring up trouble, as usual - just like all those "holidays" the girls took or that they didn't have jobs. And the DM still only uses pictures of Beatrice that show her eyes at their widest or both the girls when the wind or just walking pull their dresses in un-flattering ways.
As stated in the article, a piece in Vanity Fair was the source of the story.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...ooksbank-plans

In my opinion, the piece flatteringly represents Princess Eugenie and Jack as down to earth and modest for allegedly declining titles for Jack and their children.

This article from the Telegraph is quite similar.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...g-family-life/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Apart from anything else, in a climate where there are calls for the DOY to loose his titles (probably also not happening unless ever tried and convicted) they aren't going to stir that pot by "rewarding" him/his son in law an Earldom or annoucing any special titles for the children.

I believe that "sources" discussing the possibility of theoretical titles when asked about it, rather than surnames when it comes to the baby is because everyone is treating it as given that the only way the baby would be something other than Miss/Master Brooksbank is if there was a title involved ie no one is thinking there's even the vaguest probability of M-W-B because there's no reason to as the parents are married and from traditional families.

It did come up when they Phillips/Tindalls were born and was dismissed then in a similar manner because it's standard royal gossip.
Very interesting. With apologies for repeating myself, I still am not fully clear on why British royal gossips think there is a higher (however vague) probability of a title than a non-traditional surname. As you pointed out, a title may be unfavorably perceived as a "reward", which would not apply to a surname (or would it?). At the same time, the "tradition" consideration would apply to both titles and surnames.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I was surprised Eugenie's children would be allowed titles in the first place, so am not surprised that she has declined them.
I must have missed something. Eugenie's children were offered titles but Eugenie declined them? Who offered her the titles and by what means? As she cannot pass on any titles because she doesn't have something to pass on and Jack is untitled (although in line to a baronetcy as will any sons they may have).
Old 10-03-2020, 09:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I must have missed something. Eugenie's children were offered titles but Eugenie declined them? Who offered her the titles and by what means? As she cannot pass on any titles because she doesn't have something to pass on and Jack is untitled (although in line to a baronetcy as will any sons they may have).
I believe they were replying to a Daily Mail article (post #72) based upon this story:

Old 10-04-2020, 01:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

The daily mail likes to make up news stories. No shocker there.

Stems from the whole Anne and how she didn’t want a title for her kids. But like Anne it’s a foregone conclusion. Eugenies kids were never going to be given their own title. It would have been jack or even Eugenie if the queen decided to modernize who would have been given the title. And it would have been done at their wedding. Since Jack was never given a title it’s never been a question his kids would not have one either.

Maybe Eugenie and jack were offered a title at their wedding and turned it down. But this story is just another attempt at DM to make a story.

The only nice thing about this one is the couple comes off looking good and grounded. A rare event.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The daily mail likes to make up news stories. No shocker there. [...]
Again, the story came from Vanity Fair, not the Daily Mail.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:56 AM
Majesty

Why would they be offered atitle for Jack? Anne was apparnetly against the idea in the 1970s, and its now 2020....
Old 10-04-2020, 11:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Why would they be offered atitle for Jack? Anne was apparnetly against the idea in the 1970s, and its now 2020....
Lets face it. Royal news has pretty much been at a standstill due to the pandemic. There has to be stories to rile up the general public and this one kind of fits that bill. Gives those that comment on their stories an outlet to whine and moan about things totally made up for that purpose.

If they ain't misbehaving, there's gotta be a way to make it seem there's conflict somewhere. Human nature thrives on misbehaving and discord. As its known in my family, its getting their Irish up.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Lets face it. Royal news has pretty much been at a standstill due to the pandemic. There has to be stories to rile up the general public and this one kind of fits that bill. Gives those that comment on their stories an outlet to whine and moan about things totally made up for that purpose.

If they ain't misbehaving, there's gotta be a way to make it seem there's conflict somewhere. Human nature thrives on misbehaving and discord. As its known in my family, its getting their Irish up.
the general public in the UK dont give 2 hoots. And on this forum, there was discussion of Jack getting a title for like 2 months before the wedding... surely ti was all thrashed out then
Old 10-04-2020, 11:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The story may be false, but it is interesting that at least one "source" wishes it to be believed.

If it is true, then the Queen may have "offered" a title for the purpose of consistency with past marriages of princesses, with the understanding that it would not be accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

But the tone of the story strikes me as being flattering.

Quote:
the general public in the UK dont give 2 hoots. And on this forum, there was discussion of Jack getting a title for like 2 months before the wedding... surely ti was all thrashed out then
The story does not claim it was recent.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:42 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

What a cute announcement on her instagram - when I saw the pictures of her shopping I suspected she was pregnant.

She isn't a "public working royal" so I felt if she had wanted to keep it quiet then she could and I was pleasantly surprised when they did announce it

Old 10-04-2020, 12:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
What a cute announcement on her instagram - when I saw the pictures of her shopping I suspected she was pregnant.

She isn't a "public working royal" so I felt if she had wanted to keep it quiet then she could and I was pleasantly surprised when they did announce it
Unfortunately Eugenie wouldn't have been able to keep it quiet, because the Daily Mail often publishes photos of her out and about. If she didn't announce she was pregnant, there just would've been lots of rude comments about weight gain...

But also, Eugenie has shared many of her happy life moments and milestones on her Instagram, so I'm not surprised she shared the baby news as well (in a very cute and tasteful way!)
Old 10-04-2020, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I believe they were replying to a Daily Mail article (post #72) based upon this story:

Indeed. I thought that much would've been clear.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-04-2020, 06:01 PM
Majesty

my point was that the issue had been raised 2 years ago and been thrashed out....The press drags these things up because they have to fill up their pages but It was never likley that Eugene's husband would be offered a title.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Exactly

We see this whenever it’s a slow news day with royals. They work hard to try and spin new angles. Or drudge up old stories and hope no one notices. Magazines copy each other all the time and use each other as sources.

It starting with VA and not DM (sorry I don’t have time or desire to read every trashy article I only read the DM) is a moot point at this. It’s just a desperate attempt for clicks for money.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:51 PM
Aristocracy

Didn't somewhere in Jacks Biography states that he has a Title and a Coat of Arms it just is not used. He also is related to Eugenie. Maybe he want to use his?
Old 10-04-2020, 08:30 PM
Nobility

The Vanity Fair article contains quite a few of speculations. One of them was
In addition, Andrew will reportedly not be invited to any of the public ceremonies honoring his father, Prince Philip, on his 100th birthday next June.
This was apparently based on The Sun, where "an insider" mentioned that "He will not be invited to major celebrations and organisers have been told to avoid pictures of him in a photo exhibition." The photo exhibition will be organised by the Royal Collection Trust.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/126541...ay-airbrushed/

I don't understand why Vanity Fair have to drag Andrew's name in Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank's future children arrangement. This is especially with a very unreliable source on Prince Philip's 100th Birthday arrangement. Ok, Baby Brooksbank might be included in the "photo exhibition", but nothing is set in stone.

The VF article also mentioned about the absence of official photograph of Savannah Phillips, Isla Phillips and Mia Tindall, after their birth. Archie did have an official "photo-call and family portrait" after his birth, as well as "official portraits" after his christening.
The public events surrounding royal births have varied over the last decade. When Prince Harry and Meghan Markle had their son, Archie, his birth was followed by an official photo-call and family portraits. While his christening was held privately, a series of official portraits were released a few days later. For the Queen's grandchildren without titles, the affairs are much quieter. When Peter Phillips’ daughters, Savannah and Isla, are the queen’s two oldest great-grandchildren, were born in 2010 and 2012 respectively, the palace released statements, but no official photos accompanied them. Their christenings were also private, though the queen was in attendance. When another great-grandchild, Mia Tindall, was christened, the public only saw pictures of the family assembling because an ITV reporter just so happened to be visiting the Gloucestershire village where the ceremony took place.
Of course the photographs will depend on the location/time of Baby Brooksbank's birth and whether or not Eugenie and Jack or the Royal Family want to release pictures (alongside with the announcement). I am not quite sure when the York Princesses usually leave Sandringham Estate after Christmas. Otherwise, I think Eugenie could give birth in Sandringham, rather than London if the expected date is very early 2021. There is also the possibility of releasing photographs after Baby Brooksbank's christening.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
Didn't somewhere in Jacks Biography states that he has a Title and a Coat of Arms it just is not used. He also is related to Eugenie. Maybe he want to use his?
He does not have a title that isn't used
Old 10-05-2020, 04:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post

He is in line to the Brooksbank Baronetcy that his father's cousin currently holds. The family has a Coat of Arms which have never been used in connection with Jack or Jack and Eugenie and a (theoretical) conjugal Coat of Arms.

They are distantly related a few times over as detailed in the Jack Brooksback family and background thread by some dedicated posters. It's clear that Jack, like Edo is very well connected to the British aristocracy, nobility and upper class.