The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 02:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I replied to a question if any British princess had ever married a divorcée or a man who had children.
I'm just as aware of the history of marriage as you apparently are.
I guess we could make a list of every Royal woman in the uk who ever married a widower. That wasn't the point of the OP. It was more about divorce/past common law kids. Not a widower situation. Was seeing if any woman was in a similar position to Eugenie, and the answer is no. Not in the immediate family, only in extended.

But certainly we could go off the point of topic, and name all the second wives

Old 11-20-2018, 02:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
... Was seeing if any woman was in a similar position to Eugenie, and the answer is no. Not in the immediate family, only in extended. ...
Did you mean Beatrice?

Old 11-20-2018, 03:03 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I replied to a question if any British princess had ever married a divorcée or a man who had children.
Correct. The question posed a couple pages back was a broad one because we aren't even sure Edo was married to Wolfie's mother. I'm sure there were many British Princesses who married men with illegitimate children. Heck Margaret married Tony a couple weeks before his daughter Polly was born.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, I was curious about both histories: marriages of British princesses to single fathers (divorced, widowed, or unmarried) as well as marriages of British princesses to divorcés. It seems Frederick of Württemberg was the most recent father of children to marry a Princess of Great Britain (in 1797), although as Kataryn pointed out, Lady Louise Mountbatten was a member of the British royal family and married a widower with children, and seeing that the Swedish Royal House viewed the marriage as equal, presumably they saw her as royal.

Is it correct that until now, no divorcé or single father who was not a widower (not including cases such as Antony Armstrong-Jones in which the father did not acknowledge his biological child) has married a British princess?
Old 11-20-2018, 06:59 PM
Heir Apparent

What is his correct first name: Edouard or Edouardo?
Old 11-20-2018, 07:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
What is his correct first name: Edouard or Edouardo?
Edoardo is the correct spelling.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:08 PM
Courtier

There is the lovely Lady Davina and her handsome husband, Gary Lewis.
Would that be similar?
Old 11-20-2018, 07:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
There is the lovely Lady Davina and her handsome husband, Gary Lewis.
Would that be similar?
Lady Davina is not a British princess. The circumstances are similar to what we are discussing but she doesn't meet the criteria of being a princess like Beatrice of York.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:50 PM
Majesty

As Osipi noted earlier, with all the cross-pollination between the family members, it is altogether likely they have known each other, in passing, for years.

Thinking about it, he must move in the same circles that Beatrice, Eugenie, Jack and perhaps even Harry do or did, so if the nature of their relationship has changed things may happen faster than we expect.

Whatever, if they are dating, I wish them well.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:05 PM
Serene Highness

Genealogy of Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ws/BJJtouIJ9hw

Quote:
Yes, I also thought your answer was relevant. Charlotte's stepdaughter Catherine of Wurttemberg married Jerome Bonaparte, brother of Britain's archenemy Napoleon, and I vaguely remember reading Charlotte's relatives weren't very happy with her when she wrote them a letter stating she had met Napoleon and found him charming.

I believe Princess Charlotte was the first British princess to marry a widower with children since Queen Mary I married Philip of Spain who of course was a widower with a son, the ill-fated Don Carlos.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post

Very informative. So he does descend from the paternal line instead of a maternal line of the family like someone suggested earlier in this thread.

From this it doesn't look like his father remarried, so maybe no paternal half-siblings.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:

So he does indeed hail from the Italian aristocracy..
even if his parents were born in Britain.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 11-20-2018, 11:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Very informative. So he does descend from the paternal line instead of a maternal line of the family like someone suggested earlier in this thread.

From this it doesn't look like his father remarried, so maybe no paternal half-siblings.
It's possible, if he hadn't, he couldn't get a decree of nullity, or perhaps he just never wanted to re marry.

LaRae
Old 11-21-2018, 03:32 AM
Nobility

?

Quote:

is this true?IF they are indeed together and IF they end up married she'd be known as HRH, Princess Beatrice of York, Contessa Mozzi. Doesnt his father have to be deceased so he could have the title? Did I get that right ? I dont even know if Britain would acknowledge this title
Old 11-21-2018, 05:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
The news articles don't make it seem like the couple is talking marriage already, it makes it sound like friends of the couple wouldn't be surprised if marriage was in their near future. It could be friends are doing some wishful thinking, they saw Dave get engaged after only about 6-9 months of dating and maybe they think Beatrice might do something similar. But since Beatrice lives in NYC and Edo lives in London and there is a child involved, I think these friends may have to wait awhile. If they are dating, I'm not expecting any engagement until they're living on the same continent.
For the tabloids, there's no fun in writing about a "early stages, just enjoying each other's company" story for more than a few weeks/months before "friends" start predicting imminent engagements and they start speculating on everything else, regardless of where the couple is in their relationship. Especially as she's now the only unmarried adult cousin and York weddings have been shown to garner interest/controversy.

Should it get that far I think an official announcement would only come when they had decided on living arrangements but like Harry and Meghan it would be unofficially agreed between them before then.

Unfortunately if they *aren't* engaged by sometime next year look for a plethora of "poor Bea" articles. Again regardless of where the couple actually is. Plus "Eugenie fuming because Aristocracy, why can't Jack get a title etc".
Old 11-21-2018, 05:26 AM
Nobility

I’m trying not to jump to conclusions guys ,but I noticed Sarah follows Edo (Princess Bearice’s Alleged Boyfriend.) on twitter and instagram and Edo follows Bea on instagram and twitter, very interesting indeed, but then again he is a family friend. I’m just glad for her.
https://image.ibb.co/fnBZ4q/Screen-S...1-21-38-AM.png

https://image.ibb.co/jAFxqV/Screen-S...1-33-51-AM.png

https://image.ibb.co/kTEAcA/Screen-S...1-39-55-AM.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DshLLAsU0AAeSzd.jpg
Old 11-21-2018, 06:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchesschicana View Post
is this true?IF they are indeed together and IF they end up married she'd be known as HRH, Princess Beatrice of York, Contessa Mozzi. Doesnt his father have to be deceased so he could have the title? Did I get that right ? I dont even know if Britain would acknowledge this title
Unofficially maybe, but not legally because foreign titles aren't legally useable in the UK. I don't believe his title is even official/legal in Italy any more either. I assume she'd follow Eugenie's lead and officially keep the Of York.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchesschicana View Post
Scroll to the bottom of the post to see scanned pages from the poster's (authoritative) sources. Some Italian titles aren't like British peerages where there is only one titleholder. In the Mozzi family every member is a Conte or Contessa. But no one is THE Conte with a special legal status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

Yes, I was curious about both histories: marriages of British princesses to single fathers (divorced, widowed, or unmarried) as well as marriages of British princesses to divorcés. It seems Frederick of Württemberg was the most recent father of children to marry a Princess of Great Britain (in 1797), although as Kataryn pointed out, Lady Louise Mountbatten was a member of the British royal family and married a widower with children, and seeing that the Swedish Royal House viewed the marriage as equal, presumably they saw her as royal.

Is it correct that until now, no divorcé or single father who was not a widower (not including cases such as Antony Armstrong-Jones in which the father did not acknowledge his biological child) has married a British princess?
You have to go all the way back to 1502 when Margaret Tudor (daughter of Henry VII and sister of Henry VIII) married James IV of Scotland, a bachelor with several illegitimate children.

In 1387 Philippa of Lancaster (granddaughter of Edward III, first cousin of the then reigning king Richard II, and sister of the future Henry IV) married King John I of Portugal, a bachelor with a 10-year-old illegitimate son. The son was Afonso, 1st Duke of Braganza, whose descendants became Kings of Portugal in 1640.

There are other examples where the bridegroom was a widower or whose previous marriages had been annulled.

Quote:

The source used to compile the genealogy was published 2000-2004 (scroll to the bottom of the post) so the father may have remarried since then.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:33 AM
Majesty

Mary Tudor, the sister of Henry VIII, married the widowed Louis XII of France as his third wife. He had two daughters. Also Henry's daughter Queen Mary married King Philip of Spain who was widowed with a son.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Mary Tudor, the sister of Henry VIII, married the widowed Louis XII of France as his third wife. He had two daughters. Also Henry's daughter Queen Mary married King Philip of Spain who was widowed with a son.
Mary Tudor's second husband Charles Brandon had an even more complicated marital career. He was betrothed to Anne Browne, who became pregnant, but threw her over to marry her stepmother's sister, a wealthy widow. That marriage was soon annulled and he then married Anne who by that time had given birth to a daughter. Anne died shortly after the birth of a second daughter and Brandon then became betrothed to an orphaned eight-year-old heiress (even taking her title) but dumped her to marry Mary Tudor.

Meanwhile, his first wife was still alive and in response to concerns over the legality of Brandon's subsequent marriages, the Pope confirmed the validity of the original annulment.

Less than three months after Mary Tudor's death, the 48-year-old Brandon married yet another heiress, 13-year-old Catherine Willoughby.

I hope Princess Beatrice doesn't get mixed up with a chap like that.

Closed Thread