Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-07-2018, 07:20 PM
Serene Highness

I like it better than her toilet hat look

Old 05-07-2018, 07:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Why would it be inappropriate for Beatrice to attend the Met Gala?
Well, if Beatrice truly does want a larger role to play in the Royal Family, than this high profile flashy costume event is not really helping her. And even if that is not true, I view this more as a celebrity event, and while she may a 'famous' public figure, I just don't think this is the right place for a member of the BRF to be.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post
Well, if Beatrice truly does want a larger role to play in the Royal Family, than this high profile flashy costume event is not really helping her. And even if that is not true, I view this more as a celebrity event, and while she may a 'famous' public figure, I just don't think this is the right place for a member of the BRF to be.
On the other hand, it may be helpful to her business interests to attend such events.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Courtier

Beatrice looks nice but I agree that it is not a classy theme or event for her.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:18 PM
Royal Highness

Why inappropriate? Members of other royal families have attended. Marie Chantal comes to mind. I think that perhaps Queen Noor may have attended at some point. Didn’t Diana attend?
Old 05-07-2018, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Beatrice looks nice but I agree that it is not a classy theme or event for her.
from CNN--
The Met Gala: The annual event is the invitation-only fundraiser to benefit the New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute.

It is a benefit for a major museum--what is wrong with it?
Old 05-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Met gala is a major charity fundraiser. One that politicians and royals attend as well as celebrities. It has been hosted by the likes of Caroline of Monaco. And royals like Maria-Chantal, Rania, Diana, Charlotte Casiraghi and Maria-Olympia have attended.

Its no different then when the likes of Charles or William attend major charity events with celebrities in attendance. They all do, even the queen.

Its both a charity event and good for business. She is attending a gala for a major art foundation, not a night club rave.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:38 PM
Courtier

If the theme has catholic with a small "c" then I find the theme more palatable.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Oh my you better put me on your ignore list then King of the Jungle...I'm Catholic and I'm sure you aren't going to find me very palatable.

LaRae
Old 05-07-2018, 09:50 PM
Nobility

She is a private citizen dont see why this inapporpiate? maybe if she was dressed seductively? even so other celeberties are dressed way more scandalous, but she is not funny though the irony of it all
Old 05-07-2018, 09:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The Met gala is a major charity fundraiser. One that politicians and royals attend as well as celebrities. It has been hosted by the likes of Caroline of Monaco. And royals like Maria-Chantal, Rania, Diana, Charlotte Casiraghi and Maria-Olympia have attended.

Its no different then when the likes of Charles or William attend major charity events with celebrities in attendance. They all do, even the queen.

Its both a charity event and good for business. She is attending a gala for a major art foundation, not a night club rave.
I understand that may be its purpose, but I don't really think that's the way it has been perceived. Now the public generally view it as this flash rich people/celebrity get together. And while I understand you are trying to give examples of other royals who attended, I would just like to point out that half of those royals are practically jet-set and more akin to socialites. Also when Diana attended the Met Gala stood true to it's purpose IMO.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It all depends on how the word "catholic" is used. Of course, Roman Catholicism is a major world religion but in actuality, the word "catholic" with a small c is a term meaning "universal" or "including a wide variety of things; all-embracing" and not a reference to the religion.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 05-07-2018, 09:53 PM
Serene Highness

It has a trick or treat look to me...
Old 05-07-2018, 09:54 PM
Courtier

No, I mean to use Catholic as a theme is a bit disrespectful. I would have thought the same if the theme had included Greek Orthodox, Islamic imagination similarly. I love many Catholics and people of other religions I just don't like that a person's religion could be open to ridicule.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Ahhhh.... gotcha.

By chance could it have been deemed as a Catholic themed gala for the reason being that it *is* a art museum and they centered the gala around paintings and art stemming from works that honored and portrayed figures in Roman Catholicism history?

I wouldn't think they'd put on a gala with a theme that would be offensive. Its kind of like Charles does have a section of his Highgrove gardens that reflects Islamic art.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 05-07-2018, 10:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post
I understand that may be its purpose, but I don't really think that's the way it has been perceived. Now the public generally view it as this flash rich people/celebrity get together. And while I understand you are trying to give examples of other royals who attended, I would just like to point out that half of those royals are practically jet-set and more akin to socialites. Also when Diana attended the Met Gala stood true to it's purpose IMO.
Its no different then the Monaco rose bowl. Or many of the other celebrity studded galas European royals attend. Including other members of the BRF. William and Kate attending BAFTA events come to mind. Charity is charity. Unfortunately some people cant get past their small views of the world. Its not like Bea is 'jet setting' to be there either. She lives in New York.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:05 PM
Majesty

Charity is charity except Beatrice has nothing to do with the met gala. William is president of BAFTA supporting British initiatives. Don’t see the comparison.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Its not like Bea is 'jet setting' to be there either. She lives in New York.

Does she?

I ask in all seriousness, because she seems to spend a great deal of time in London.
And the job with Afiniti seems more like they want her name on the website, rather than any actual employment.
So I'm wondering what exactly she is doing?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:07 PM
Courtier

I see your point. It is a fine Institution and well worthy of charity and celebration. That alone is possibly larger than it's theme for one event. It also seems to be a celebrity affair.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
It has a trick or treat look to me...
The attendees usually wear true runway or high fashion since the event is to benefit the Met's Costume Institute. It is supposed to be over the top.

Fun fact--Amal Clooney was one of this year's co-chairs of the event. I think Princess Beatrice is in good company attending something Amal is involved in promoting.

And an explanation of the theme--
The Met’s Costume Institute unveils ‘Heavenly Bodies’ exhibition during preview before the Met Gala

Tags
beatrice (1986- ), current events, princess beatrice