The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-16-2020, 04:55 PM
Courtier

I think she probably would have done better to just admit she was bending (breaking) the rules about households and apologise.

There does remain a slight chance that they're in some type of business together I suppose.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:52 PM
Nobility

This is really horrible, people tell on others, like little kids. Maybe the paper should have ask them. There are more important things in life then stick ones nose in other peoples business. Maybe they should go and fly a kite. Maybe these troublemakers are getting paid?, shame on them.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
This is really horrible, people tell on others, like little kids. Maybe the paper should have ask them. There are more important things in life then stick ones nose in other peoples business. Maybe they should go and fly a kite. Maybe these troublemakers are getting paid?, shame on them.
Maybe people who break the rules are adding to the spread of the virus and lengthening the time we have to spend in lockdown
Old 12-16-2020, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Ironically, if she is still using her apartment at St James' she could have had people round to the apartment without anyone being able to see given how many people go in and out of St James'.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
If you were working in a hospital in London and had to take care of 7 COVID patients instead of the 2 which was normal, how would you feel about someone contributing to the spread of the disease, Beatrice? Who obviously doesn’t think the rules apply to her.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There have been conflicting reports. One stated they were not observing guidelines put in place, another says that they were. I guess this is one of those situations where one would actually have had to *be* there to see exactly what the situation was.

I do see the point of people getting upset if they weren't observing set guidelines as those guidelines are in place to protect *all* of us and i kind of deem it along the lines of witnessing a hit and run accident. You report what you've seen as a good citizen. Of course, should there be three witnesses to the same hit and run, there could be conflicting stories there too.

I'm going to accept Princess Beatrice's representative's words on the matter.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

What I want to know is why can't she be having a business dinner with a friend?

Why can't friends also be doing business together?

Where is the proof that this wasn't a business dinner?

Is this simply a case of the haters deciding that because Beatrice is a York she is breaking the rules and people preferring to believe that than actually believing that Beatrice was working and was having a business dinner?

The idea that you don't take partners/spouses out for a business dinner doesn't wash to me as I know that many times my father was accompanied by my mother when he went to business dinners and vice versa. Often it was in the relaxed atmosphere of having each other there that helped them decide whether the proposal would even work.

I have no idea whether Beatrice was at a business dinner but equally I have no reason to think she is lying.

Laughing while at a business dinner - so what. Having a drink with dinner - big deal. Where is there a rule that says when having a business discussion you:

a) can't have a drink
b) can't have a laugh
c) can't be with friends (i.e. can't do business with friends/acquaintances)
d) can't have spouse with you.

It seems to me that this is just the gutter press, and the supporters of said press, assuming that Beatrice wasn't doing what she said she was doing out of hate for Beatrice and the BRF (the British media have been reporting negatively on the royal family for a long time now with the clear motive - to remove them ... remember that Murdoch, who now owns most of the British gutter press is an avowed republican).
Old 12-17-2020, 01:56 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Is this simply a case of the haters deciding that because Beatrice is a York she is breaking the rules and people preferring to believe that than actually believing that Beatrice was working and was having a business dinner?

The idea that you don't take partners/spouses out for a business dinner doesn't wash to me as I know that many times my father was accompanied by my mother when he went to business dinners and vice versa. Often it was in the relaxed atmosphere of having each other there that helped them decide whether the proposal would even work.

I have no idea whether Beatrice was at a business dinner but equally I have no reason to think she is lying.

Laughing while at a business dinner - so what. Having a drink with dinner - big deal. Where is there a rule that says when having a business discussion you:

a) can't have a drink
b) can't have a laugh

It seems to me that this is just the gutter press, and the supporters of said press, assuming that Beatrice wasn't doing what she said she was doing out of hate for Beatrice and the BRF (the British media have been reporting negatively on the royal family for a long time now with the clear motive - to remove them ... remember that Murdoch, who now owns most of the British gutter press is an avowed republican).
I fully agree. What proof is there that it wasn’t a business meeting.the gutter press refuses to accept that she even has a job in their eyes no matter what her employer will say. As for the people telling in the restaurant. What where they doing in the restaurant as well. An old bible saying is take the log from your eye before telling me if the splinter in mine
Old 12-17-2020, 02:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

a) can't have a drink
b) can't have a laugh

I think of it has part to do with her.

Beatrice has a bad reputation thanks to the media of being a party girl. Of not having a job (even though she does) and so on. Sadly people don't think a lot for themselves sometimes and follow what tabloids print.

She does work for Afiniti still which helps do marketing work for a number of companies. I see no reason to believe just because her husband was there,it was not a business meeting. Yes business meetings happen in restaurants. And yes there is sometimes alcohol involved.

All we have is people who saw her and their interpretation of what they saw.

I am one of the biggest sticklers for guidelines thanks to my work. But I'd rather them have the meeting at the restaurant then in an offfice. Or in a private home. In the restaurant the guidelines and restrictions about distance, masks, cleanliness and such are enforced. In privacy they rarely are, why private parties have cause the largest spread.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Tatler has picked up and interpreted the Financial Times interview

What we learnt about Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi from his Financial Times profile
Princess Beatrice's husband would never be without his wedding ring, only recently discovered the joys of The River Cafe and loves cooking and playing squash
https://www.tatler.com/article/what-...-times-profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi spoken to Architectural Digest on indoor design of his latest London development.

Edo Mapelli Mozzi—Princess Beatrice’s Husband—Loves White Marble As Much As You Do
His latest London development is a testament to that fact
https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...much-as-you-do
Thanks for the links. Around the time of Edo/Beatrice's engagement, I'd posted a number of other business profile and property development-related articles about Edo and his architectural design firm, Banda. I found his background in architectural design and property development to be quite interesting and impressive. Also, the many quotes by Edo in relation to his work were fascinating. That's why I've always been skeptical about the tendency I've seen by some royal observers (not necessarily on TRF) to criticize Edo and to side-eye his character without really knowing much about him, or taking the time to find out more about him from the many available articles about his successful business.

From the second link you provided, I found another Architectural Digest feature on Edo & Banda, which includes a podcast interview with Edo. It's nice to hear his speaking voice for the first time, since Bea & Edo never gave a joint public interview after their engagement or their marriage.

For those who are interested, enjoy:
https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...-similarity-v2
Old 12-17-2020, 02:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

I have always had a passion for architecture. Not huge on modern but I love when people restore old buildings, and changing their use.

I found Edo so interesting because of his career. And he has had some amazing projects. He has taken on a number of unique buildings to turn into housing like a brewery and bakery. He is very intelligent and articulate to listen to, whether podcast or his written interviews. He is passionate about his work, its not simply a business to him.

The criticism seems mainly on him leaving his former fiance, and the short relationship before marriage. And some accusations he may use her for her title. But he is well connected himself and has a succesful established career before he ever met her.

I still have hopes that he will build the two of them their own dream home. And will make it one of his projects. I can only imagine what he would make.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:44 AM
Royal Highness

Yes, me too. I've read a lot about architecture, furniture design, home renovation and interior design. I've also studied historic preservation and art history. Two of my all-time favorite shows on HGTV are Income Property, and the former, Divine Design.

The previous articles I posted about Edo (in the old engagement thread), went into depth about his development projects. I find him to be quite thoughtful, talented and introspective, not to mention enterprising from a young age. Of course, this view is only in relation to his professional career and public profile, since there's no way of knowing a lot about his personality and personal behavior.

I agree that Edo was already well-connected, in addition to being well-established and successful in his business prior to his engagement to Beatrice. Coming from a wealthy, titled lineage did not make Edo choose the path of simply living the life of a rich playboy. He's obviously already used his talent, education, and his upper-class connections to build his high-end property and design business. Marrying Beatrice has certainly further raised Edo's public profile, but he had already been widely written about and praised in industry publications, and in the mainstream newspapers, including The New York Times, prior to dating Beatrice. As you say, Edo seems very passionate about the work he does, and he's also creative and intelligent in his approach to design and property development.

Edo's and Beatrice's families have known each other for years. Edo is five years older than Beatrice, so although they knew each other, it makes sense that romance did not enter the picture for them until much later. Beatrice had been in a 10-year relationship with Dave Clark, while Edo was building his company and later dating and having a baby with Dara Huang. Ms. Huang is accomplished in her own right as an architect and designer:
https://youtu.be/OxVh1EKV6MQ
https://youtu.be/XUy2uJnL5ck

The engagement ring Edo designed for Beatrice is so lovely, and his loving declarations upon their engagement are so romantic. It's a shame we did not get to see an insider glimpse of their low-key wedding, or the usual trappings of a more public royal wedding such as Eugenie had. Although, having a smaller, private and intimate wedding was probably refreshing for Bea & Edo, even though it was borne out of necessity for a number of reasons.

At some point, Edo probably will design a gorgeous home for himself and his wife. I suppose they are living in digs at St. James Palace for the time being?
Old 12-17-2020, 04:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

As far as it was mentioned they remained in her apartments at St James. Though they spent some time with Edo's mother and stepfather in their country home during the lockdown. And some time at Royal Lodge as well.

They may be staying there for the very reason they are working on a house. If they bought something they could simply move. Building, even if simply renovating and restoring, takes time. They have the money to move out of a palace property without built in security, unlike Eugenie.

And yes Edo is older. He is 37 and she 32.

Though they likely would have moved in similar circles, they likely got to know each other through his late first stepfather Christopher Shale. Christopher was friends with Andrew and Fergie, and the whole York family attended his funeral. But yes she was involved with Dave for such a long time, and from a young age (she was 18 when it started).

As for the wedding it wasn't all covid. They had always planned on a small private wedding, having chosen the royal chapel which would not allow a massive wedding (think its 150 guests if that). They had always wanted something more low key as far as royal weddings. It just got downsized even more by the pandemic.

The ring was beautiful. I also love the touch that one of his gifts to her was having a statue made by his stepfather. Commisioning a private piece of art, especially from someone special like that, is amazing.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:41 AM
Aristocracy

With Covid as bad as it is and the regulations, those business meetings/dinners, could be moved into a companies meeting room, with food catered in. A private place. Then the meeting can take place without the eyes and ears of press and public.

However, if it is a business meeting.....a meeting for business, why do they really need to have dinner? Why not meet, discuss and leave as soon as possible? They don’t need the dinner part at all. Not at this time of the pandemic.

Some people are not thinking or are just ignoring the facts. Then give out excuses that make no sense to many.

I am not impressed with B and E. Beatrice knows how her father has messed up many times in the past, what the fall out it is, one would think she would learn and try and avoid the same issues but I guess not. She is very much like her mom and dad.

Very disappointed...all JMOO
Old 12-17-2020, 07:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Ironically, if she is still using her apartment at St James' she could have had people round to the apartment without anyone being able to see given how many people go in and out of St James'.
If it wasn't a very important meeting where they had to be face to face, ther'es no need for the meeting or dinner at all.. Its possible to do most of the business meetings on Zoom now..
Old 12-17-2020, 09:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I think people are just so sick of lockdown that they just have to go out, and labeling the event a "business dinner" makes an excuse.
There's been quite a lot of criticism in the press about people doing this.
It's understandable, though perhaps short-sighted.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I think people are just so sick of lockdown that they just have to go out, and labeling the event a "business dinner" makes an excuse.
There's been quite a lot of criticism in the press about people doing this.
It's understandable, though perhaps short-sighted.
that's the point. Many of us are stuck at home, in poor health and rarely go out. If lockdowns are supposed to stop the virus from spreading's to the point where it overwhelms the medical services then, its there, its supposed to be obeyed and there are consequences if you dont comply with it. Yes we are all sick of lockdown.. we're sick of not getting treatment for illnesses because the medical services are tied up with Covid.. we're sick of businesses going bust.. but the rules are there...
Old 12-17-2020, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Princess Beatrice's rep has responded to rumors that she and her husband broke COVID-19 lockdown rules for dinner out with four other people:

“This was a midweek Wednesday evening, work related, business development dinner, it was held in compliance with all government guidelines, the dinner was held in the early evening and all parties left in good time before the government curfew. "Strict masks were worn in line with the government advice."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...ember-23155744

I think this is the link you meant to post: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...covid-23163684

Quote:
A spokesperson for Beatrice and her husband Edoardo Mozzi said: “This was a midweek Wednesday evening, work related, business development dinner, it was held in compliance with all government guidelines, the dinner was held in the early evening and all parties left in good time before the government curfew.

[...]

Buckingham Palace declined to comment on the allegation, noting that Beatrice is “not a working member of the royal family”.
Is it a new policy that Buckingham Palace declines to comment on non-working members of the royal family?
Old 12-17-2020, 10:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
that's the point. Many of us are stuck at home, in poor health and rarely go out. If lockdowns are supposed to stop the virus from spreading's to the point where it overwhelms the medical services then, its there, its supposed to be obeyed and there are consequences if you dont comply with it. Yes we are all sick of lockdown.. we're sick of not getting treatment for illnesses because the medical services are tied up with Covid.. we're sick of businesses going bust.. but the rules are there...
And it goes to many's view of "One rule for us and another for them"
Old 12-17-2020, 11:17 AM
Majesty

no, lots of people break hte rules. People dont wear masks, have parties at home, large ones etc etc.....