Prince Andrew, Duke of York: Old News and Photos

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of you might have watched this before, but I thought I should share it here, on the occasion of Prince Andrew's birthday:

It's A Royal Knockout - Introductions - YouTube

I find it extremely relaxing and funny! Andrew, Sarah, Anne & Edward showing us a lighter side and they all seem to enjoy it. :flowers:

:yorkrose:

I Had Never Seen This Video Before But I Found it Very Funny & Very Very Cool , Prince Edward Look Handsome & very strong yellow Color , But Really I Like This Video Very Much , Thank you for Posting NoorMeansLight :flowers:

The good old times. :lol: I loved Anne in this video as well. Thanks for sharing this gem, NoorMeansLight!

You are both welcome! :flowers: I loved them all too. Anne was so relaxed and cool and Edward absolutely dashing!

Anne seemed to be the last person I could imagine taking part in this!:lol: It was considered such an awful thing for the young royals to do; but really, what was the harm in the long-term? I think that the Windsor 'brand' was more badly effected by the War of the Waleses, especially those leaked phone conversations, HER TRUE STORY and Charles' reply via Dimbleby. The "Knockout" episode was silly, but it did raise good money for charity.

The good old times. :lol: I loved Anne in this video as well. Thanks for sharing this gem, NoorMeansLight!

I always thought it was funny and did no real harm. Although Edward storming out of the press conference was bad manners. Sarah, Andrew and Anne all seemed to enjoy themselves and the money went to good causes. The Queen must have approved it or it wouldn't have happened.

I stumbled across this old article about Sarah's book "Moments".
I love the photos of Andrew and Eugenie. I'm sure Eugenie will really treasure them in the future.

Print Friendly Page

somebody have a photo of andrew in his christening's day? I have one fro edward's christening but I don't have none from the andrew's christening

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I found the most fascinating video of Sarah and Andrew just before they got married:

Andy and Fergie - before they married - YouTube

It's like a moment frozen in time, where they're young, happy, carefree, in love. So touching, I thought, seeing them larking about together, almost as if the cameras aren't there.*
Andrew seems mildly (and rather sweetly) embarrassed by Sarah using his pet name, but I can't work out what he says... Bunjee? Punjee? Can anyone shed light?*
I also enjoyed the conversation about Drones' (spelling?) restaurant which sounds wonderfully Wodehousian (The Drones Club, of course, being Bertie Wooster's regular haunt). Does anyone know anything about this place and whether it still exists?
And finally, does anyone think that Andrew sounds at times rather like one of Hugh Grant's diffident, embarrassed (but rather dishy) posh chaps from his romantic comedy roles? And I mean that as a compliment!*
A wonderful video, I think, though certainly tinged with a great deal of sadness - they seem such a wonderful couple, and it seems to me such a tragedy that their marriage had to end.

I remember seeing this. They were in love pity it all fell apart!

Sara and Andrew were so cute! They really believed in the fairy tale at the end of the tabloid garbage.

interesting the words used by the american voice over when describing the newspapers - "relentless" and "stalking" and that was 1986.

Doesnt change, regardless of the havoc the media and paps have caused.

Those two videos are fascinating. It is the first time I've seen their relationship in a romantic light, because all you hear about is the divorce and all sorts of troubles. I suspect Andrew was attracted to her vulnerable side. He senses she might need him, but is also drawn to her, because she has her own personality. He tries to give her advice on who to take advice from, but when she asserts herself, he doesn't push the point.

Last edited:
Very touching to see these videos.
[I wonder if the 'pet name' was "Budgie"?]

"Budgie" - you just might be right. That sounds more like a pet name than something like Bunjee and may be why Sarah used that name in her books. That would be so sweet.

I have a question about the Duke of York's names, particularly Christian. Was this to honor his great-great-great grandfather Christian XI of Denmark? I don't think it's a particularly common name used by the British Royal Family.

Prince Andrew's great-great-great grandfather was King Christian IX of Denmark.

:denmarkstandard::denmarkstandard::denmarkstandard::denmarkstandard:

Christian IX was both Andrew's great-great-grandfather and great-great-great-grandfather.

Great-Great-Grandfather = Andrew - Philip (father) - Andrew (grandfather) - George I of the Hellenes (great-grandfather) - Christian IX of Denmark (Great-Great-Grandfather)

Great-Great-Great-Grandfather = Andrew - Elizabeth (mother) - George VI (grandfather) - George V (great-grandfather) - Alexandra (great-great-grandmother) - Christian - (great-great-great-grandfather)

We often forget that Andrew, and his siblings, have dual descent from both Queen Victoria and Christian IX through Elizabeth and Philip.

The other source of Christian in the BRF would be Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein who married Princess Helena - daughter of Queen Victoria but it is more likely to come from Christian IX.

Alexandra used Christian as a name for her eldest son - Albert Victor Christian Edward and George V used it as a name for his eldest son - Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David.

Otherwise it doesn't appear to have been used.

As Andrew is named for Philip's father (Andrew), Elizabeth's father (Albert), Philip's great-grandfather (Christian) and Elizabeth's great-grandfather (Edward VII - could be for her uncle of course) it seems there is some symmetry in his names.

"Budgie" - you just might be right. That sounds more like a pet name than something like Bunjee and may be why Sarah used that name in her books. That would be so sweet.

It wasn't Budgie.

It was Bottom.

Last edited:
80s/90s Documentary about Andrew?

Does anyone remember a documentary from the 80s or 90s that features extensive footage of him aboard a ship and visiting ashore in the Netherlands, where he and his shipmates go to a mall?

I can't remember if it was about him exclusively, but I think it also featured Fergie. I haven't seen it in years, but something made me think of it today.

Ring any bells?

Is that the one that talked about Koo Stark too?

LaRae

No, no, go back to sleep. You're having a bad dream.

You know, while I knew that costumed rumble existed, I somehow never realized Edward roped Anne into it. It seems right up the Yorks’ sort of jock-like alley, and Edward is of course a sucker for any chance at theater, but Anne is a surprising participant. That whole bit about being the “strong silent troupes,” though, is classic Princess Royal.

I have heard of this program a few times over the years but never watched it until tonight. I am probably going to get "knocked out" but I thought it was funny as hell, innovative and really entertaining. The teams were playing for a good cause, the people all had a wonderful time being able to act silly and I'm sure the audience loved it too.

The members of the royal family that led their teams actually didn't participate in the hi jinks but they also seemed to really be enjoying themselves throughout the challenges.

Ahhh... a one off show but to me, a good one. :D

Back
Top Bottom