Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 7: Feb 2015 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just a case of "bad luck". Andrew is an individual who is stubborn, has terrible judgement, and has bad decision-making skills. People like him need to be sidelined and kept as far away from the monarchy as possible.

The Queen doesn't have to get permission from the public to be seen with her own son!

I think most people can accept that, at her advanced age, the Queen is entitled to have Andrew by her side.

As for Andrew wangling his way back into public life, that is very unlikely, since Charles is bound to sideline him as soon as he succeeds.

The Queen doesn't have to get permission from the public to be seen with her own son!

No she doesn't but it will contribute to people turning against the Monarchy as an institution. I know a few republicans who are delighted he is back on the scene and want to continue seeing him show up.

He is not htat likely to be back for more than a very occasional appearance

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...leted-Falklands-War-statement-signed-HRH.html

The duke, 62, wrote more than 700 words about his experience in the Falklands in posts on his ex-wife's Instagram account on Saturday - before they were hurriedly taken down.

[...]

The musings were initially signed off as 'written by HRH The Duke of York', despite the Queen having stripped Andrew of his honorary military titles in January following the dramatic fallout from his civil sex case.

At the time, a royal source said Andrew, who was born a HRH, would no longer use it in any official capacity.

The 'HRH' was removed from the posts, before the reflection was deleted in its entirety two hours later.

In the first Instagram post, Sarah wrote: 'I asked Andrew this morning for his reflections on the anniversary of his sailing from Portsmouth to the Falkland Islands 40 years ago.'

Andrew's account begins: 'As I sit here at my desk on this cold crisp spring morning thinking back to April 1982 I've tried to think what was going through my mind as we sailed out of Portsmouth lining the flight deck of HMS INVINCIBLE.'

It concluded: 'So whilst I think back to a day when a young man went to war, full of bravado, I returned a changed man.

'I put away childish things and false bravado and returned a man full in the knowledge of human frailty and suffering.

'My reflection makes me think even harder and pray even more fervently for those in conflict today, for those family's (sic) torn apart by the horrors they have witnessed.

'And, i'm (sic) afraid to say, that the historical perspective my short war has taught me is this – war is failure to keep peace; war is failure of human judgement; war is failure to recognise we need to seek permission to understand another persons perspective or reality, whether or not we agree or disagree with that perspective or reality.'

Andrew also recalled being shot at, writing: 'I was flying and saw a chaff shell fired from one of our ships that passed not that far in front of us.

'For a moment it was on a steady bearing before it began to cross to our left.

'The terror that that was going to be that, just for a moment, has had a lasting and permanent effect on me.'

More quotes from the Duke's now-deleted posts:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...s-wept-suffering-ukraine-recalls-experiences/

He is not htat likely to be back for more than a very occasional appearance

I agree. Any appearnance that Andrew makes will be for family-related events only. I would be surprised if he appeared at a Jubilee-related event.

Why am I picking up the scent of a newly, published book written by The Duke of York co-authored by Sarah? Gotta be some money in that, right? :D

If that were the case, I think there will be a very difficult conversation with Charles, followed by a swift relocation to a cottage on the Balmoral estate.

Might free up Royal Lodge for William then!

If that were the case, I think there will be a very difficult conversation with Charles, followed by a swift relocation to a cottage on the Balmoral estate.

Can I ask why Andrew should be discouraged from writing his memoirs? He's not a working member of the BRF anymore and a private citizen and there are several other family members that have authored books and have had them published (and one to be published sometime in 2022?)

One thing I don't see happening at all in any way, shape or form is Andrew being relocated anywhere. He'll live out his life at Royal Lodge. When something works, you don't fix it and Andrew is in a good place to live out a private life yet be close to his family.

The bad luck is that his questionable judgement and the results thereof are all being publicized now. The timing of these news stories about tax-dodging accountants and Libyan gun-smugglers and alleged fraudsters make one wonder about rogue efforts to destabilize the monarchy, given who is mad at the UK now. I think the Yorks, with their money concerns, have always been sort of vulnerable.

I'm not a conspiracy theory kind of gal, but you have to admit, it seems to be an avalanche of stories that could have hit the press any time in the past year or two.

From the Telegraph story that yukari shared, it seems clear that the £750,000 payment became public from the court documents filed in the course of an ongoing court case by the billionaire who is suing the Duke of York's associate for allegedly defrauding her.

Could you post links to the accountant and gun-smuggler stories?

The Yorks are a huge liability with anything money related - at the end of the day that is why Andrew was so close to Epstein, because he was able to fund the lifestyle Andrew liked and desired. Andrew and Sarah are blind and dumb in relation to anything money. I just hope their inability to deal "cleanly" with money doesn't rub off on their daughters.

From the Telegraph story that yukari shared, it seems clear that the £750,000 payment became public from the court documents filed in the course of an ongoing court case by the billionaire who is suing the Duke of York's associate for allegedly defrauding her.

Could you post links to the accountant and gun-smuggler stories?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ate-branded-evasive-by-tax-tribunal-cfjdw0x8h

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...fraudster-and-the-libyan-gun-runner-38hb75rnk

Thanks. It seems then that the second story also arose out of the filings in the same court case between Nebahat Evyap Isbilien and Selman Turk, and the first story was taken from a court ruling which occurred last month and does not involve the Duke of York but does involve a business associate of his (in that case it does seem as if it is the Duke of York angle which has led to the story being publicized).

I'm on Instagram and I've seen the post. I'm being semantic but I won't say that it was signed off as
'written by HRH The Duke of York'
but
'-- HRH The Duke of York'

It's similar to when people wrote quotation in their caption (which I also often do), e.g
"In a gentle way, you can shake the world."
-- Gandhi

Of course, it may indeed be written by Andrew and he's the one who posted it himself. But after his infamous interview, I doubt he can compose such "reflection" on his own. I can see his ex-wife (and maybe advisor, but seriously who advised him?!) play a hand in this. Really, I won't give Andrew too much credit and overestimate his eloquence by saying it's written by him.

I don't remember about deleting the 'HRH', but the comment of the post was turned off not long after due to the backlash and next I know the post no longer exist (I made a comment there).

Can I ask why Andrew should be discouraged from writing his memoirs? He's not a working member of the BRF anymore and a private citizen and there are several other family members that have authored books and have had them published (and one to be published sometime in 2022?)

One thing I don't see happening at all in any way, shape or form is Andrew being relocated anywhere. He'll live out his life at Royal Lodge. When something works, you don't fix it and Andrew is in a good place to live out a private life yet be close to his family.

Andrew can't do anything like that, if he wrote something and donated the money to charity, it woudl still be considered as bad guy who was involved with Epstein, writing about his life and making money off it and trying to clean the money by donating it to charity. He wont be sent away from Royal Lodge, but I'd imagine if he did try and write soemthing, Charles would firmly discourage him.

He can't get rid of Andrew from the Lodge. It does not belong to him, but to the crown estates and Andrew has a long lease. Besides, as has been said, at Windsor he is in a secure location and close to teh queen and his familly

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew can't do anything like that, if he wrote something and donated the money to charity, it woudl still be considered as bad guy who was involved with Epstein, writing about his life and making money off it and trying to clean the money by donating it to charity. He wont be sent away from Royal Lodge, but I'd imagine if he did try and write soemthing, Charles would firmly discourage him.

OK. What's the difference here. Harry can write his memoirs but Andrew cant'? Both are private citizens now.

He can't get rid of Andrew from the Lodge. It does not belong to him, but to the crown estates and Andrew has a long lease. Besides, as has been said, at Windsor he is in a secure location and close to teh queen and his familly

That was meant to be a joke!

OK. What's the difference here. Harry can write his memoirs but Andrew cant'? Both are private citizens now.

Seriously? Andrew is persona non grata because of the events of hte past years. None of his charities would work wiht him... even I think army regiments wanted to get rid of him as their patron and only didn't push on the issue because of their own loyalty to the queen as military folk. Im sure that you remember that a while ago, Sarah and Andrew tried to get involved in doing some charity work during the pandemic, packing food for housebound people.. and they had to stop it. He can't really do anything outside the RF because he is considered bad news by so many people. Writing a book, making money for a royal is always considered a bit iffy and often meets with criticism.. and as I said, if he did write sometign and ssaid he'd donate the proceeds to charity, charities would say that they didn't want his money just liek the food charity didn't want him volunteering his time, even for them.
Harry's behaviour while bad in its way did not invovle hanging around with and having women procured for him by a pretty dissolute man and woman.. and publishers will be happy to offer him a contract to write a book... He has chosen to leave royal life in order to make money so while the RF may well disapprove, they cannot stop him or do anyting but forbid him form using his HRH title in any of his business ventures....

Last edited:
Giving up the lease at some point could have been part of paying his restitution. When the chalet was put up for sale I said he was getting ready to settle and many on here said that would never happen. Edward and Sophie manage to get by without associating with the scum of the earth. I don’t see him living out his days at RL once his mother is gone. I am sure many who blindly support him, even for the scumbag he is, will disagree.

Giving up the lease at some point could have been part of paying his restitution. When the chalet was put up for sale I said he was getting ready to settle and many on here said that would never happen. Edward and Sophie manage to get by without associating with the scum of the earth. I don’t see him living out his days at RL once his mother is gone. I am sure many who blindly support him, even for the scumbag he is, will disagree.

Its not a matter of supporting him.. its a realistic assessment of the situation. Andrew has to live somewhere and he has a long lease on Royal lodge. If ehe were to give it up, Where else can he live that he will be secure and near to his own close family?
Not sure why you are bringing up Edward and Sophie as I dont think anyone has claimed that they have done anything as unpleasant and stupid as Andrew has.
He may well have wanted to fight out the case in court, but I would imagine that the queen persuaded him that it would be stupid to go on paying lawyers, for a case that he might not win and which would be unpleasant in this, the year of her Jubilee.

I actually do not see an issue with him living out his days at Royal Lodge. He holds the lease, and that was paid for on commercial terms.

That said, it may well be that, in time, Andrew may choose to down size. RL must be an expensive house to run, and with only a finite some of money, if he is sensible, he will think about where he may choose to live.

I do not know what the terms might be for Andrew to be able to exit the lease on Royal Lodge, and get his money back for he unexpired portion of the lease. It is not a house that can easily be let, given its proximity to Windsor.

I am also not sure a solution can be found within the royal family for someone to take the house on. The only ones who could possibly afford to are Charles and William, and I can't see either of them needing the house

I actually do not see an issue with him living out his days at Royal Lodge. He holds the lease, and that was paid for on commercial terms.

That said, it may well be that, in time, Andrew may choose to down size. RL must be an expensive house to run, and with only a finite some of money, if he is sensible, he will think about where he may choose to live.

I do not know what the terms might be for Andrew to be able to exit the lease on Royal Lodge, and get his money back for he unexpired portion of the lease. It is not a house that can easily be let, given its proximity to Windsor.

I am also not sure a solution can be found within the royal family for someone to take the house on. The only ones who could possibly afford to are Charles and William, and I can't see either of them needing the house
well there is still Fergie, who needs a place to live.. or Andrew might share with one of his daughters adn thier family... Im sure the place is big enough to accommodate him, Sarah and a small family....

well there is still Fergie, who needs a place to live.. or Andrew might share with one of his daughters adn thier family... Im sure the place is big enough to accommodate him, Sarah and a small family....

I know the place is big enopugh to accomodate Andrew, Sarah and one of the girls and their families, but is Andrew's wallet big enough to continue to run a house as large as that? The staffing bill in itself must be well into six-figures.

I know the place is big enopugh to accomodate Andrew, Sarah and one of the girls and their families, but is Andrew's wallet big enough to continue to run a house as large as that? The staffing bill in itself must be well into six-figures.
Since the girls have rich husbands, if they did elect to share quarters with Andrew, they'd share the bills.

Since the girls have rich husbands, if they did elect to share quarters with Andrew, they'd share the bills.

I do not think the husband's of the girls are particularly rich. I think Edo has made some money, but I suspect he will need to use it to invest in his business.

I would be surprised if Edo was keen to spending his hard earned money on keeping his in-laws in the champagne.

I do not think the husband's of the girls are particularly rich. I think Edo has made some money, but I suspect he will need to use it to invest in his business.

I would be surprised if Edo was keen to spending his hard earned money on keeping his in-laws in the champagne.

I presume he has a home somwhere and living in Royal Lodge would spare him the expenses of that home...

I don't find him staying at Royal Lodge an issue as he has, seemingly, got the lease in a fair way and paid what is expected so it isn't like the public are missing out on it going for free to him. TBH, due to its location so close to Windsor Castle and with a chapel the Queen's use in its front garden it can't necessarily be let to just anybody, Andrew taking it on (and not on a "peppercorn rent") was the best deal at the time.
If he really wanted to write his memoirs then as much as I personally would hate it, I don't see how he could be stopped. Is it the right thing to do, IMO no. He is effectively in the same boat as another royal releasing memoirs this year. The real issue would be if there is any commercial interest in his memoirs and if any publisher would want to be the ones to publish it and if there would be any market to buy it. That said, plenty of criminals, less than desirable people and those who have been hugely controversial have had memoirs released.
My issue will always be him going anywhere near "official service" as a working member of the RF. That IMO even extends a far as church services, traditional royal events such as the races and Christmas and for sure any Jubilee appearances (I don't have an issue with him at his father's memorial service - though could have done without the entrance with HM). I would love him to head off to Balmoral and be out of sight, and away from being able to worm his way around his mother but that is a personal wish not one I can say he "must" do.

I don't find him staying at Royal Lodge an issue as he has, seemingly, got the lease in a fair way and paid what is expected so it isn't like the public are missing out on it going for free to him. TBH, due to its location so close to Windsor Castle and with a chapel the Queen's use in its front garden it can't necessarily be let to just anybody, Andrew taking it on (and not on a "peppercorn rent") was the best deal at the time.
If he really wanted to write his memoirs then as much as I personally would hate it, I don't see how he could be stopped. Is it the right thing to do, IMO no. He is effectively in the same boat as another royal releasing memoirs this year. The real issue would be if there is any commercial interest in his memoirs and if any publisher would want to be the ones to publish it and if there would be any market to buy it. That said, plenty of criminals, less than desirable people and those who have been hugely controversial have had memoirs released.
My issue will always be him going anywhere near "official service" as a working member of the RF. That IMO even extends a far as church services, traditional royal events such as the races and Christmas and for sure any Jubilee appearances (I don't have an issue with him at his father's memorial service - though could have done without the entrance with HM). I would love him to head off to Balmoral and be out of sight, and away from being able to worm his way around his mother but that is a personal wish not one I can say he "must" do.

The idea that Prince Andrew should not be permitted to attend church services, the races or Christmas functions in a private capacity is outrageous, in my opinion. He has been removed from royal duties which I think most people thought appropriate but that should surely be enough? He is not a convicted criminal!

:previous: I totally agree and, judging from the fact that Andrew seemed to decide to settle the issue out of court rather abruptly has merely unleashed more hatred and scorn on him. It gave the gossip new legs and its legacy is not going anywhere.

IMHO Andrew was "persuaded" to settle by the top echelon of the non-royal powers that be but, settling and saying nothing has not been to Andrew's advantage, in fact, I would go so far as to say that the extreme opposite of what was intended has happened, showing once more that ignoring issues has done the Crown no good whatsoever this Century and not much in the late previous century.

The fact of the matter is that time has moved on, social mores have changed, technology has changed the way everybody interacts and the media keeps us apprised of news 24/7 rather than via the morning and evening papers. The only thing that hasn't changed is the BRF whose failure to move with the times is underlined every time they overreact or allow obsequious minions to leak like sieves.

The little wars by leaking do not reflect well on the BRF because they show that behind the scenes there are bitter divides and the differences in the way family members are treated are disparate enough to cause comments, lots of comments.

If HM and Charles think that is doing the image of the BRF any good they are barking mad. All it shows is an unfortunate group of people bound by blood and nothing else. it makes the "family" in BRF a total sham and an exercise in total hypocrisy.

Andrew has obligingly fallen on his sword at the behest of TPTB and it has achieved nothing except people believing he is guilty of heavens knows what because if he wasn't he wouldn't have settled. Because of the failed solution, it seems all that is left to the righteous is to demand he be banished to the farthest outpost of the UK and never heard from nor even seen (judging by the running acid commentary of his daily riding within the grounds of Windsor) ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom