The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #241  
Old 05-22-2016, 06:21 AM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, Norway
Posts: 3,808
They fade away because the press has many scandals to cover - no magic about that.
__________________

__________________
Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other. King Harald V speaking in 2016.
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 05-22-2016, 07:32 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 10,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
There has been so many stories over the years but some how they just fade away like magic ! Strange that mmm I wonder why ?


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
To claim and to poke is one, to show evidence is two. Daily Mail is master in claiming, naming and shaming. When it comes to evidence they usually fall (very) short. Nothing new under the sun.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 05-22-2016, 08:16 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,214
In fairness as much as I don't respect the Daily Fail they do have evidence this time, e-mails from Andrew personally to one of the companies.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 05-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 8,012
Prince Andrew's consultancy fees sounds quite trite. It is known that enlightened western Europeans love money and are often greedy. One has to determine a right amount of money to procure a required opinion in mass media or business contract.

On a different note ... Selective media outrage is pathetically fake.
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 05-22-2016, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,214
Whatever the truth about whether or not he was paid (which would take this from a storm in a tea cup to an actual storm) the questions remains why was he spending his time working with two foreign companies and not a British company?
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 05-22-2016, 06:28 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,981
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-oligarch.html


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 05-22-2016, 07:10 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, Norway
Posts: 3,808
Quote:
Strangely given Coutts’ policy on Kazakhstan and referrals, the Palace suggested last night Prince Andrew had sent the email as a favour to the bank.

‘The Duke of York works to encourage economic growth in the United Kingdom and from time to time he is called upon by UK companies who wish to make contact with overseas markets,’ they said, in response to an inquiry about the email.

Asked to comment on what Ms Thirsk’s emails reveal about how intimately the Prince’s private office were involved in the sale of Sunninghill Park, a spokesman said the Palace stands by its statement distancing Andrew from the matter.

Quite how it justifies that position is anyone’s guess. But the public will surely reach its own conclusions.

For, as we have seen, the written record of what took place during this strangest of property deals tells a very different story.
And here's the Daily Fail's front page:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjFyhAXWEAIaCUn.jpg
__________________
Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other. King Harald V speaking in 2016.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 05-22-2016, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,981
Worst job to have ..PR for Prince Andrew . Truly find something else for him to do, something that doesn't involve money.
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 05-22-2016, 07:42 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
In fairness as much as I don't respect the Daily Fail they do have evidence this time, e-mails from Andrew personally to one of the companies.
I think back to the time that he halted the specific foreign trade representative work and yet even a year later, his page on royal.gov said he was still in the role. My opinion of him plummeted. At best, it was lazy. It appeared petulant. At worst it was deceptive, long after he was to have stopped that official role.
I find him difficult to trust. JMO.
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 05-22-2016, 09:51 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 12,825
Andrew has a number of engagements relating to the role already booked in his diary - often these things are booked a year or so in advance and definitely six months in advance. He didn't remove that information when he announced he was stepping down but when he had finished the actual role.

This is no different to someone resigning or retiring from their job - they don't stop being in the job they day they tell their boss but the day they actually leave e.g. in my job I am required to give six teaching weeks' notice. I won't stop being a teacher half way through the 10 week term when I retire but at the end of the following holidays i.e. 13 weeks after I tell the boss. I will still be able to claim that I am employed by the school until then.

I see Andrew's situation as exactly the same - it took about 8 months for him to actually stop doing the job from the time he announced he was stepping down until he actually stopped doing the job and during that time he kept it up on his website as he was still doing the job.
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 05-22-2016, 10:27 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,981
But there are many jobs where you leave the day you tell management. Especially jobs that involve money clients etc. totally different to teaching


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 05-22-2016, 11:47 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 2,558
Ah, Andy's in the paper again I see.
__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 05-23-2016, 12:56 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coastal California, United States
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Ah, Andy's in the paper again I see.
Yes - something about financial shenanigans involving his Kazakhstan chums.
Wonder how the Mail got it's hands on the emails revealing the various schemes.
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 05-23-2016, 01:24 AM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, Norway
Posts: 3,808
This is starting to get serious and it is damaging to the monarchy.

Prince Andrew faces calls for inquiry into his deals with Kazakh oligarch | Daily Mail Online

Some of the MPs had this to say:
Quote:
Pressure was growing last night for an inquiry into Prince Andrew’s links with Kazakhstan.

MPs and human rights campaigners said there was a worrying lack of transparency about the Duke of York’s business dealings with the former Soviet republic.

Yesterday, Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron told the Mail: ‘No one should be above the law and if evidence is put forward, then it should be investigated without fear or favour.’

Sir Vince Cable, the former Business Secretary, called for Andrew to be prevented from playing any official role in representing British trade overseas. He said: ‘It would not be right for him to be speaking for the British Government.’

Shadow Commons leader Chris Bryant said: ‘I don’t think there has been enough transparency or scrutiny on the way this nebulous role has been used.’

The former Foreign Office minister added: ‘When I was at the Foreign Office, nobody could ever tell whether he was looking out for himself or whether he really had the interests of the country at heart.’

Robert Barrington, of Transparency International UK, the anti-corruption campaign group, told the Mail: ‘You would expect that any deals involving an official British trade envoy should be transparent, with clarity over what the deal involved, who was paid commission and how much commission was paid.

‘A set-up in which middle men take unknown cuts from unknown deals should be considered very high risk for corruption.’

Referring to the Greek/Swiss deal, Hugh Williamson, of Human Rights Watch, said: ‘This story is very concerning because it shows that new trade arrangements were being negotiated without being placed in the context of the UK Government’s policy on human rights and also because the Prince may have been benefiting personally from these deals.’
The 81 year old Newport MP Paul Flynn had this to say:
Quote:
Labour MP Paul Flynn, who has campaigned for Parliament to lift its arcane rule that royals cannot be criticised in the Chamber, said Prince Andrew should lose his royal status.

He said Andrew and other ‘minor royals’ were often too constrained, adding: ‘These hangers-on lead a miserable existence.

‘We should liberate them from their status of minor royals and allow them to lead full, normal lives with proper jobs like they have always wanted. We are not short of officials who can cut ribbons in this country.’
The Duke of kent is turning 81, Alexandra is turning 80 and they've had health issues. The Gloucesters is turning 72 and 70 this year - so this problem will resolve itself.

Anne, Andrew and Edward are children of the monarch - so they are not minor royals and I am 100% sure that they will continue with their duties as long as they wants, both under the Queen and Charles (with the exception of Andrew if he's done something illegal.)

And Paul Flynn must be taken with a large pinch of salt, because he is a long-time anti monarchist and he has repeatedly described himself as a hardened republican. He has never had anything nice to say about Charles and William, but he is a big fan of Queen.

He talks about Her Majesty in this article:
''Hardened republican''Newport MP pays tribute to the Queen (From South Wales Argus)
__________________
Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other. King Harald V speaking in 2016.
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 05-23-2016, 02:33 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 12,825
Andrew is such a minor royal that he can be appointed to serve as a Counsellor-of-State and as such chair the Privy Council and sign bills into law when HM is overseas.
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 05-23-2016, 03:42 AM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
This is starting to get serious and it is damaging to the monarchy.
It won't damage the monarchy. I have British friends who I speak with now and again. Some time ago, in regarding to the Virginia Roberts allegations, I was told Andrew has fallen so low in the opinion of the public well before this that it won't matter. At the time I was told the big question people had with Andrew is how he managed to afford the Swiss chalet. I don't think these allegations are a surprise or a shock.

The only thing that could damage the monarchy is the monarchy's reaction to a demand for a serious investigation. I can understand the Queen's desire to protect a favorite son. I think you mentioned it a few posts ago, I'm more worried about her health than anything else. She does not deserve this.
__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 05-23-2016, 08:25 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 905
Part of the reason Andrew gets away with things is because people lost respect for him a long time ago. It sounds like it could be picking up speed and while he might be the Queens favourite it has been rumoured for just as long he isn't Charles. I won't be surprised if Andrews wings get clipped in a serious way when Charles takes the throne. I don't think it would matter that much. He has the Privy Councel etc because of where he is ranked in the family not because he is this amazing Royal. I feel so bad for the Queen Andrew has been warned before he had his role taken off him but he seems to be doing pretty much the same thing just without the title and it seems he is making money of it which if true is a real problem for the Family they are supposed to be unbiased. How has Andrew afforded his lifestyle? He pays the rent for the girls, protection, looks after fergie, bought a Villa which seems way out of his price range cause lets not pretend Sarah put any money towards it. Don't be surprised if there is an official investigation and has he been paying tax and declaring his earnnings etc? Things could get way worse before they get better. I feel so sorry for the Queen and The Duke they deserve time just to relax not have yet another cloud over the family caused by a York.
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 05-23-2016, 08:31 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 12,825
We shouldn't forget that The Queen is a very wealthy woman who has probably set up sizeable trust funds for her younger three children.
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 05-23-2016, 09:07 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,471
For some people though, a lot is never enough to lead the sort of lifestyle they want.
Regardless of Andrew's present reputation, which is very very low among those who take any notice of him, I think there should be a public inquiry into his business dealings. The British public deserves transparency. Let the cards fall where they will. If there's an inquiry and Andrew is exonerated, fine. If it's proved that he has been involved in underhand dealings then everyone will know the truth, and he can retire completely from public life in disgrace, and face whatever other penalties come his way. The fact that Andrew is the Queen's son shouldn't matter at all.
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 05-23-2016, 09:37 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
For some people though, a lot is never enough to lead the sort of lifestyle they want.
Regardless of Andrew's present reputation, which is very very low among those who take any notice of him, I think there should be a public inquiry into his business dealings. The British public deserves transparency. Let the cards fall where they will. If there's an inquiry and Andrew is exonerated, fine. If it's proved that he has been involved in underhand dealings then everyone will know the truth, and he can retire completely from public life in disgrace, and face whatever other penalties come his way. The fact that Andrew is the Queen's son shouldn't matter at all.
I totally agree with all of what you've said here especially where you stated that Andrew's position by birth as son of the monarch doesn't matter. In a lot of other "scandals" pertaining to Andrew and the Yorks, its mostly been allegations that he "may" have been involved (as with Epstein and the parties ad nauseum). With what has come out now, he is specifically cited as having dealing that may or may not have been legit or in the interest of the UK or even that he was doing business deals to line his own pockets.

The only answer I can see is that if Andrew is clear of any misdoings, he needs to, as you say, be transparent. If he is hiding behind mummy's apron strings, it will just be another case where the public believes Andrew is bigger, brighter and better in his own mind because he's a "royal" and his reputation takes another fast slide down to the sewers once again.

I do agree that HM and the DoE do not need this aggravation and to be honest, I do hope they practice a little "tough love" on their kid and let him dig himself out if he needs to do so.
__________________

__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 6: July 2011-February 2015 Zonk Current Events Archive 794 02-11-2015 08:10 PM
Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 3: March 2007-September 2008 Avalon Current Events Archive 425 09-15-2008 08:57 AM
Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 2: May 2006-March 2007 Warren Current Events Archive 198 03-10-2007 04:13 AM
Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 1: February 2002-May 2006 Josefine Current Events Archive 258 05-26-2006 08:40 AM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi althorp american history anastasia once upon a time ancestry armstrong-jones british british royals chittagong countess of snowdon cover-up daisy duke of cambridge dutch dutch royals family life family tree games gustaf vi adolf haakon vii heraldry hill history house of glucksburg imperial household interesting israel jack brooksbank jacobite jewelry jumma kids movie king willem-alexander książ castle list of rulers mailing maxima nepal nepalese royal family norwegian royal family prince charles prince charles of luxembourg prince constantijn princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess elizabeth princess ribha pronunciation queen consort queen maud queen maxima royal balls royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding russian court dress spain speech spencer family taiwan thailand thai royal family tracts unsubscribe videos wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×