Options for Sarah to recover from the 'Cash for Access' scandal

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for your kind comments. Actually, I don't think my post was that good - my typing certainly wasn't, and I see that one sentence actually 'went missing' - not that it added anything significant, but it did make more grammatical sense! I've therefore made a couple of corrections.

To deal with some of the matters arising:

Precedence: Aliza, I think you are quite right about Public Precedence; this would place Sarah below Camilla and Catherine: the order being Camilla as wife of the heir apparent, Catherine as wife of the Sovereign's eldest Grandson and then wives of the younger sons of the Sovereign, which would Rank Sarah [if still married of course] before Sophie. [I've not dealt with the precedence of the Sovereign's daughter and granddaughters]. I'll get out my file from work and check this point.

As to why Andrew and Sarah divorced, a wise person once told me that no-one truly ever knows what happens in another couple's marriage. This is very probably true, but where Sarah is concerned, my own educated guess, based in part on my own observation, is that Sarah, who certainly married Andrew rather quickly, fell in love with her spouse's position [and all that went with it] as well as the man himself. [And yes, I do concede that this remark could possibly apply to others who have married into the BRF over the years]

And, as I have said before on other threads, I think that Sarah had a misleading idea of the BRF's lifestyle, as she was in effect extrapolating it on the basis of what she herself had observed when watching the more flashy world of the super-rich, both through motor racing and polo.

I've been criticised before on other threads when I write about the BRF's lifestyle being comparatively modest. The key word here is comparatively. The BRF are of course very, very wealthy. It is a lifestyle of castles and Palaces, of priceless royal jewels and beautiful works of art, all set against a background of devoted service. And you get to wear some lovely couture clothes. The food and drink is of the best. It's a lifestyle that most of us can only dream of. But, by the same token, it's a lifestyle that is NOT as flashy as that of the super rich.

For a start, there is actually no real dedicated Queen's Flight any more, although the Queen can of course call on the services of aircraft from the Royal Squadron [which other UK VIPs such as government ministers can use as well] but these aircraft are not used in the same way that the super rich use their private planes: the Queen does not 'jump aboard' a plane for a quick visit to Paris or to the South of France for some sun or Milan for some fashion shopping. And there are no Jacuzzis or other fripperies on the Royal planes. Pre-marriage, Sarah did observe - at a distance and no doubt somewhat wistfully - how the super rich of the motor racing and polo set behaved. Bernie Ecclestone had a huge private plane; ditto many of the American polo patrons. These billionaires indulged their wives [often no. 3 or 4!!] with all sorts of 'treat trips' and there were visits galore to the global glamour spots. Switzerland, Monte Carlo, Sotogrande... And then there were the yachts - and look how some plutocrats own more than one.......!

And these are the people who also set great store by having the 'right' accessories to accompany this lifestyle: the Ferraris, porsches, the Louis Vuitton Luggage etc etc etc The people for whom Gucci and Bvlgari and Chanel and Cartier open their shops after opening hours.....

It was basically a lot of fun and pleasure all the way. Sarah was reputedly enormously impressed when Lyn Wyatt [mother of Steve] began flying Sarah everywhere on the Wyatt private jet. Or at least, offering to.

And now look at the BRF. Planes are not meant to be used for private fun and pleasure jaunts and the press and politicians are stern when it emerges than (say) Andrew has been using a helicopter to take him to play golf. You don't hear of the Queen whizzing across to Paris for lunch on board her private plane. The Royal Yacht has long since gone. And couture clothes are usually seen in conjunction with Royal Duties! And even the Royal Luggage is that good, old fashioned, solid wooden type. [Interestingly, only Princess Micheal and Sarah have gone down the Louis Vuitton route!!]

Sarah obviously had her head turned by the Super rich, and apparently believed that either that this was how the BRF lived, or had the right to live, and therefore she was entitled to enjoy a similar right. But she was mistaken in all this. Royal allowances cover (generously) essential spending for Royal duties, but not for super rich style spending.

In my humble opinion, I think that when such luxuries did not come her way courtesy of Prince Andrew, Sarah's head was turned by Steve Wyatt. And presumably, when on the receiving end of such charm, I suppose Andrew looked a bit, well, boring by comparision. And he was often away on naval duties as well, whereas it seems that Messrs Wyatt and Bryan etc were around more often, all [at least initially] in fawning attendance on Sarah.

But the problem was that that none of Sarah's new found suitors were in attendance that long. Reputedly, Wyatt's mother Lyn read her son the riot act when it was pointed out to her that Steve's continued dalliance with Sarah could well have repercussions on Lyn's own social ambitions so far as the BRF were concerned. Whereupon Wyatt plus the jet soon disappeared over the horizon. And I daresay that now, 20 years down the line or so, Andrew does not seem so boring after all. And his means, though more modest in the immediate term when compared with Wyatt's, nevertheless seem large to Sarah when compared to her own now-meagre resources!! [Sarah of course having spent her way through millions over the past 20 years or so...]

I suspect as well that none of these super rich would have given Sarah a second glance had she not married into the Royal Family. Certainly, from my own observations, the Polo set pre-Andrew were not all flocking to Sarah's side: this was the girl known on the polo field by such unflattering names as Big Fat Fergie, Poor Old Fergie, The Ginger Lump etc. Horrible and cruel granted, but the problem is that for many years the Super Rich have placed great store on beautiful women....unless the ladies are very rich in their own right.

Weight issues. Yes, I do think that Sarah comfort-eats. Etched onto my mind is that Oprah image of her in the back of the car as it passes Buckingham Palace, gobbling sweetie [candy] after sweetie from the bag. Correct English behaviour requires that people only eat sweets modestly, one or two now and then, not gobble, gobble, gobble.

Incidentally, Weight Watchers. The offical line has always been that Sarah left Weight Watchers through her own choosing. However since they were paying her reputedly £1m per year, I have always doubted that the move came from Sarah. Since when has she ever turned down £1m? For what it is worth, I have read suggestions in the better papers that Heinz [Weight Watchers] did not feel Sarah was a truly appropriate spokeswoman for the brand, as her figure always seemed to be something of a struggle rather than a story of Weight Watching triumph.

Just my few random thoughts, and not meant to offend,

Alex

Last edited:
Thank you so much for that Diarist. I think I heard the same thing about Weight Watchers. In her recent pictures Sarah hasn't been looking her best and it isn't just a little more weight either. Her face looks terrible and her hair. I guess Oprah didn't help her find Sarah or she didn't get what she thought she would after it. Sarah wanted to rebuild brand Sarah she just forgot no one is actually interested in brand Sarah anymore. I always felt sorry for Andrew I think he tried and Sarah must have hurt him with the affairs and there was a time when she had some not very nice things to say about Andrew. He was boring a bad lover etc. Now of course she can't gush enough about him because now she has nothing that lifestyle he offered is way better then she can now provide for herself. If she had off been sensible bought a house, invested money she would be comfortable. I don't see her changing so far this year she has gone to all the same luxery holiday places as often as she always has. You don't even hear about her charity anymore but even there she has had problems. I'm not sure what the Queen can do I doubt she wants to place Charles in a position where he has to support Sarah financially especially the way Sarah expects to live. That is why she won't leave Royal Lodge she has a great address and has all the trappings without having to pay. Sarah is looking more like a leech and this is what is losing her a lot of respect as well. Andrew can't really move on with her around I can't imagine it can be comfortable to bring home a girl even if Sarah is in another suite.

I don't know what they are going to do but a grace and favour home and her cutting down on her tv gigs would be good Sarah does get an allowance off Andrew she needs to learn how to live within her means. The girls need their own life not have her follow them everywhere. Problem is I think Sarah is addicted to the attention good or bad.

Incidentally, Weight Watchers. The offical line has always been that Sarah left Weight Watchers through her own choosing. However since they were paying her reputedly £1m per year, I have always doubted that the move came from Sarah. Since when has she ever turned down £1m? For what it is worth, I have read suggestions in the better papers that Heinz [Weight Watchers] did not feel Sarah was a truly appropriate spokeswoman for the brand, as her figure always seemed to be something of a struggle rather than a story of Weight Watching triumph.

I've also heard the rumour that Sarah was "asked" to leave Weight Watchers, and I tried to Google for information either way, but found nothing. However, I seem to remember that on another thread, Iluvbertie posted a statement by Weight Watchers that Sarah did indeed leave of her own accord. I could be remembering wrong...maybe someone else has that information?

Anyway, the reason Sarah would turn down 1 million pounds a year, of course, would be if she thought she could earn multiple millions somewhere else. I have a Hello! interview with Sarah in front of me, from 2009, and this is what Sarah said about Hartmoor: "I met someone who has masterminded the careers of several big entertainers and I was urged to start my own lifestyle company in America. It seemed fantastic, so I invested all the money I had earned from The Young Victoria film and everything from my Little Red books. I lost it all...The biggest problem was that while I worked out Hartmoor, I couldn't work for anyone else."

She also says, "I didn't lose my WeightWatchers contract, I walked away in December 2007. I had had 10 wonderful years with them and I left with real sadness. But I had no choice. As you know, WeightWatchers sells lines of food and when I set up my company, Hartmoor, my new contract excluded me from working for any other food firm."

So - that is Sarah's explanation for why she left Weight Watchers. I don't know what to believe; but out of curiousity, I searched for pictures of Sarah during her later years at WeightWatchers. In order, here are photos from 2005, 2006, and 2008. I don't really see any major fluctuations in weight.

Sarah Ferguson Arrives For The Cipriani Wall Street Concert Series At
Sarah Ferguson Duchess Of York Debuts Her Line Of Jewelry For KG
Sarah Ferguson The Duchess Of York Arrives At The Chain Of Hope

My opinion is this: that Sarah was actually a pretty decent WeightWatchers ambassador and did keep the weight off; but she was either lured by the promise of still more cash in Hartmoor, or she was advised that because she was nearing 50 and had been the ambassador for 10 years, Weight Watchers might be looking for a fresh face...or both.

Anyway, I think Sarah was pretty successful in a lot of ways pre-Hartmoor. But she made a series of big misteps which cost her everything. She put all her eggs in one basket: Hartmoor, and the idea of "Brand Sarah" -and she failed to realize that Brand Sarah had an expiry date. Then, when Hartmoor collapsed, she made the mistake of asking for cash for access for Andrew, instead of admitting she had a financial problem. When the sting became public, Sarah made the mistake of making the OWN documentary and the succeeding interviews, in which she blamed all of her troubles on everyone and everything except herself.

In the meantime she has gained weight and doesn't look good. But I think the weight gain came after, not during, Sarah's stint with Weight Watchers. I really do think that Sarah was doing pretty well in a lot of ways for a number of years. Then her pride got the better of her, unfortunately. Instead of having a realistic self-image, Sarah seems to have thought that being the "Duchess of York" would carry her on forever, and then when it didn't, she couldn't (and still apparently can't) admit to her own flaws and failures.

She put all her eggs in one basket: Hartmoor, and the idea of "Brand Sarah" -and she failed to realize that Brand Sarah had an expiry date.

She could have taken that money she made and then invested in a business, for example, mining or some other venture that would have created a profit. I recently sealed a massive deal and it's a mine that is going to bring in billions. There are dozens of such businesses out there and she could have invested and made a huge yearly income from it. For the life of me, I have no idea on how she lacks such business sense.

the reason Sarah would turn down 1 million pounds a year, of course, would be if she thought she could earn multiple millions somewhere else.

but she was either lured by the promise of still more cash in Hartmoor

Her biggest flaw is that she keeps looking for a bigger and better deal, with the 'bigger and better deal' always being a speculative venture, nothing concrete. Same with that John Bryan character who promised 'mega-millions,' but didn't produce any real investment proposals, but instead encouraged her to sell herself like an aspiring starlet. She never invested in one solid business venture that could have produced income over the years and made her wealthy, maybe wealthier than Diana even, but she blew it and fell for a shyster.

There were hundreds of firms that could have arranged for her financial security, but go figure, she met up with a quack that exploited her and someone that she exploited as well. Basically they exploited each other and she exposed her daughters to some pretty nasty types. Why didn't she go to the firms out there that would have gladly helped her invest in businesses that could have generated tens of millions in income and she would have been still married to Andrew since she would have had enough money to keep her satisfied. Right now, because of her mistakes, her options to really redeem herself are nil, at least publicly.

How on earth is she supposed to recover from this, especially since she after all did this on camera (however unwittingly), lied about being abused by her mother, dragged her daughters into this, and also ended up at one silly point, hiring a lawyer to get another divorce settlement.

Diarist - You do write with a lovely style and your thoughts are informative. Thank you. I am an American and I don't know who you are but I am gathering that you have an intimate understanding of the world of which you speak - and that is very compelling. So thank you for the insights. :flowers:

So much of what you say - so delicately put - rings true. I found the eating of the sweeties in the car a bit odd even from an American perspective, frankly. I assumed she was 'making a point' - being nervous about being in the UK again, etc. She seemed to be doing it 'large' for a purpose.

I never followed her much. I loved her bridal dress - one of the best - and she was very beautiful on her wedding day - but there was never anything about her that drew me to pay attention to her press. Then there were the odd little bits - like the pushing with Diana at a photo-op on the ski slopes or the poking of people at Ascot with umbrellas - what? :rolleyes: Just not my 'cup of tea'.

But I agree with everyone who is remarking on her looks - she may be having her 'Change' - her looks are truly altering and it looks like she is not going to be aging well. Given what I have come to understand of her - I noted that she did not put her daughter forward in the graduation pictures, a small point, but says something - I feel enormous compassion for her. She has every reason to be able to live a lovely life quietly but she is just not at ease with herself. Its very, very sad - and with losing her looks - well, she has some rough years to sort herself out. I hope she makes it. We all have rough spots - I hope she gets through these times.

Sadly, she doesn't seem to have friends. I don't think Oprah is a friend, though she may be understanding and friendly. Sarah seems very alone with only paid attendants. That is very sad. She needs Andrew and her daughters - I hope they don't cut her out. It doesn't look like they will and that says a lot about Andrew no matter what else one might think of him. He's doing the right thing, I think.

But its enough for me. Sarah has not worn well for me in this brief acquaintance I've had here over the 'Finding Sarah' show. I really hope she is able to get herself in shape - but as even Dr Phil says: the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. People can change but I'm not going to hold my breath on this one. I just hope her family keeps her okay.

Last edited:
But I agree with everyone who is remarking on her looks - she may be having her 'Change' - her looks are truly altering and it looks like she is not going to be aging well

I think she's just burning out and now about to give up. She's lsot steam, her attempts at a comeback have failed, she's under more derisive press coverage than ever before (this time being entirely justified), and she has completely lost whatever chance she has at really coming back into the royal fold. She has no credibility and no one to turn to now that she's probably alienated her sister (through claiming the motehr was an abuser), so no family there for support.

Actually her sister was very forgiving and said publicly that while she didn't experience any of what Sarah said happened she is sure Sarah believed it happened. She also appeared on the show so I think she is supportive. Sarah get's all these vacations and free trips from so called friends but I wonder how many really are friends and how many are simply using her name and that of her daughters which she usually takes with her. Sarah has wasted more money then most of us would see in a lifetime. I think she is a very greedy person and wants a lot for doing very little.

The thing that sprung out for me was her saying that Hartmoor was her company but under her contract she couldn't work for another food company...umm if it was her company and she would have had input into the contract if she really could of worked for Weight watchers then surely she could have worked around that in her own contract. Was Hartmoor going to sell diet food? Something that takes ages to work on and a great deal of money. I think she was convinced she could make a lot of money and didn't need Weight Watchers etc. Sarah loves to be flattered and I'm sure it would have boosted her ego. Instead of going slow and really having someone who knew what they were doing investigate it and work out the pros and cons Sarah seems to have just gone forward like bull out of a gate like she always has. Her spending has always been out of control and whether she admits it or not that did play a part in her bad financial state. There were her own private staff, chefs, flowers etc which went unpaid things that had nothing to do with Hartmoor.

I wonder if the rich friends are getting a little tired of paying her way with really so little in return. It isn't a ringing endorsement having Sarah show up places these days. Sarah claims to be broke and have addictions etc not someone you really want associated with something classy. I would think as the years pass they will drop off the girls won't always be travelling with her they have their own lives. Her looks look ravaged but I wonder if it is her not caring or her playing the poor me victim once again. I have very little money yet I look better then she does and take more effort with my appearance. Surely she can afford some good face cream it doesn't have to be the most expensive to be good and some nice makeup and something done with her hair.It is sad to think that at 50 the chances of her meeting a new man are so slim but it is her own fault. But she has a reputation for overspending and any wealthy man would be concerned with her also rich men like hot girls something Sarah has never been. Her wedding day really was the day she looked best! Something will have to happen over the next few months so far no new work opportunities have come and her book didn't do too well by the sounds of things and she has others coming out. But they are advice books for teenagers Sarah giving advice to anyone is a bad idea and I think this will just give the press more of an opportunity to make fun of her! Maybe Sarah should go back to school your never too old to learn....

Why would younger people be interested in a middle-aged ex-princess who has personal and financial issues?
Ironically enough, the first time I ever really heard of Sarah was when the “Cash for Access” scandal broke (I remember reading about it everywhere). But that coverage was so widespread simply because of the "Duchess of York" title/royal connections. I guess I would say I’m part of that generation who knew of Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas way before I had any idea who Sarah Ferguson was!

I agree with the opinion that in order for Sarah to recover from anything – whether it be the scandal or just the way she and her family are portrayed by the media— she needs to back away from the spotlight that she seems to always be in. It seems so simple to say that but I don’t know how easy it would be for Sarah.

I think that if Sarah really wants to recover, she needs to step into the background, recognize what she has become and rebuild her life quietly and privately. It's time to put her children first IMO. In the pictures taken at Princess Beatrice's graduation, Andrew looks uncomfortable in front of the photographers, but Sarah is clearly posing. Note the way she positions her leg in some of the photos. It's a classic way of placing one's leg in a flattering position. That spoke volumes to me.

That's interesting, Super Baroness. So the first time you heard of Sarah was when she was involved in a scandal. That's a real comment on how her reputation has slid from the point of view of those who first knew her as a friendly, bubbly, "breath of fresh air" fiancee and then Royal Duchess. She's almost unrecognizable now from when we first knew her through the media. There was no sense that she would fall so spectacularly. Compared to Diana, she seemed more at ease in public and more like "one of us" because of her weight issue and the fact that she wasn't a stunner.

Ironically enough, the first time I ever really heard of Sarah was when the “Cash for Access” scandal broke (I remember reading about it everywhere). But that coverage was so widespread simply because of the "Duchess of York" title/royal connections. I guess I would say I’m part of that generation who knew of Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas way before I had any idea who Sarah Ferguson was!

I've also heard the rumour that Sarah was "asked" to leave Weight Watchers, and I tried to Google for information either way, but found nothing. .....

I have a Hello! interview with Sarah in front of me, from 2009, and this is what Sarah said about Hartmoor: "I met someone who has masterminded the careers of several big entertainers and I was urged to start my own lifestyle company in America. It seemed fantastic, so I invested all the money I had earned from The Young Victoria film and everything from my Little Red books. I lost it all...The biggest problem was that while I worked out Hartmoor, I couldn't work for anyone else.".......

So - that is Sarah's explanation for why she left Weight Watchers. I don't know what to believe...

rmay, I snipped a lot. But I think what you wrote answers itself; you were unable to find independent corroboration of Sarah's statements because - there isn't any. Sarah believes that if she says it, it is true, despite any evidence to the contrary. She is simply not credible on any level, even the simplest of things.

I agree with Diarist: done.

She also says, "I didn't lose my WeightWatchers contract, I walked away in December 2007. I had had 10 wonderful years with them and I left with real sadness. But I had no choice. As you know, WeightWatchers sells lines of food and when I set up my company, Hartmoor, my new contract excluded me from working for any other food firm."

So - that is Sarah's explanation for why she left Weight Watchers. I don't know what to believe; but out of curiousity, I searched for pictures of Sarah during her later years at WeightWatchers. In order, here are photos from 2005, 2006, and 2008. I don't really see any major fluctuations in weight.

Sarah Ferguson Arrives For The Cipriani Wall Street Concert Series At
Sarah Ferguson Duchess Of York Debuts Her Line Of Jewelry For KG
Sarah Ferguson The Duchess Of York Arrives At The Chain Of Hope

My opinion is this: that Sarah was actually a pretty decent WeightWatchers ambassador and did keep the weight off; but she was either lured by the promise of still more cash in Hartmoor, or she was advised that because she was nearing 50 and had been the ambassador for 10 years, Weight Watchers might be looking for a fresh face...or both.

I agree with so much of what you have wrote. My view of the loss of the Weight Watches contract has been based on what I have heard and also my own observation of Sarah over the years. Certainly, in the pictures above, she does not actually look oveweight, but in the Cipriani Wall Steet photo [the first one] her dress looks a little tight - I am looking at the folds going across the dress, which I believe is a general indication that the dress is a little too small [KittyAtlanta knows a lot about clothes and she may be able to confirm this] which is, I suppose, just another way of saying that Sarah is growing a little big for the dress!!

Certainly towards the final years of the contract, there were rumours - although I do stress they were rumours - that poor Sarah was having to resort to a lot of saunas and other means to keep her weight low enough for the Weight Watchers contract. And from my own personal observations of her at various events, I sometimes thought that she was putting on a little more weight that WW would think acceptable - I am thinking of when I saw her at the Monaco Grand Prix and also when I was skiing in Verbier - she was at the Farm Club most evenings one year and although she was not as fat as she had been at one stage, she just looked like she was, well, expanding a little bit. Understandably perhaps - it is progressively harder to keep one's weight down as one ages...

Let me also so that I do not think that being large is wrong; I just mean that WW do not applaud that in their Ambassadors.

My humble opinon therefore is that perhaps Heinz did start to think that Sarah was not the best person to represent them for a much longer period. The statements that were then issued by Sarah about the termination of the contract also strike me as typical of the carefully-worded publicity statements agreed by lawyers and PRs to be issued when any contract ends.

Only my thoughts

Alex

Last edited:
. In the pictures taken at Princess Beatrice's graduation, Andrew looks uncomfortable in front of the photographers, but Sarah is clearly posing. Note the way she positions her leg in some of the photos. It's a classic way of placing one's leg in a flattering position. That spoke volumes to me.

If you look in the latest postings in the York Family Current Events thread, you will see that Sarah has turned up with her daughters, and that she is placing her leg in the same way again!!:)

The thing that sprung out for me was her saying that Hartmoor was her company but under her contract she couldn't work for another food company...umm if it was her company and she would have had input into the contract if she really could of worked for Weight watchers then surely she could have worked around that in her own contract. Was Hartmoor going to sell diet food? ....

I so agree, Meadow. Sarah's statement seems completely at variance with what I understand by founding one's own company. The reference to her 'contract' with Hartmoor is even more curious. I am no expert on US companies, but I understand the way that British companies work. The thing to do, surely, if one is starting one's own Company, is to ensure that the company's objectives and its start-up documentation embraces your existing work. A major asset of Sarah's at that time was her 'Weightwatchers' contract. If there is going to be difficulty with Hartmoor having its own food line, then it seems clear that you make sure that Hartmoor has NOTHING to do with food so that there is no conflict of interest. Hardly rocket science! In fact, the only difficulty I could see would be that theoretically, Heinz might have had difficulty with Sarah now having her own company. In which case, Sarah's business advisors should have either worked to resolve this problem to allow the Heinz WeightWatchers contract to 'co-exist' with Hartmoor, or, if such co-existence was not possible, then her advisors should have carried out a form of 'due diligence' exercise and told Sarah that £1m per annum from Heinz was better than the possibility of trying to make more money from Hartmoor.

Perhaps of course Sarah did receive such advice - but chose to ignore it. In which case, it further destroys Sarah's apparent competency as a savvy-business person.

What a mess....

Last edited:
Well Russo is number 2 of 6 for the Finding Sarah book and quite impatient to receive it from the library and then I'll add my 2 cents.

Diarist - You do write with a lovely style and your thoughts are informative. Thank you. I am an American and I don't know who you are but I am gathering that you have an intimate understanding of the world of which you speak - and that is very compelling. So thank you for the insights. :flowers: .

Why, thank you Tyger. Actually I am very unimportant. My most important role is as a mother, a wife and as a daughter to beloved parents. And hopefully as a good relative to my wider family and as a good friend to the large number of people I am so lucky to have to care for me. But over the years, my family background and my work and my social life has brought me into contact with royal occasions, royal events and royal pastimes. I am therefore able to draw on my experiences. But what I write is based on my observations and to an extent what I say will often be my opinions and interpretations of situations. I think that some forum members here are far more impressive, with their knowledge of aspects of foreign royalty and procedures. Now that is hard to get a grip with; I just write about what I know and have gathered first hand, rather than as a result of hard study.

Sadly, she doesn't seem to have friends. I don't think Oprah is a friend, though she may be understanding and friendly. Sarah seems very alone with only paid attendants. That is very sad. She needs Andrew and her daughters - I hope they don't cut her out. It doesn't look like they will and that says a lot about Andrew no matter what else one might think of him. He's doing the right thing, I think.

Ah, I so agree with what you have said here, Tyger. Sarah I know does have friends from her schooldays - for example Clare Steele, now the current Marchioness of Milford Haven. She also is loosely friendly with Lord Cowdray, a contact from the Ibiza days with Paddy McNally, who is also a friend of Sarah's.

But, in my humble opinon, what Sarah doesn't have is any really close, sensible friends. I certainly don't rate Oprah as a true friend; she is a savvy business person and I think that her first concern was with Sarah's earning potential for OWN. I feel that a true friend would have told Sarah to seek the therapy and help she needed privately, not fully in the public eye!

Sarah above all needs someone with her intersts at heart and particularly if she is going to recover any form of self-respect! But again, Sarah has to be prepared to listen to sound advice and act on it. After the Fake Sheikh scandal, there were reports that one of Sarah's most trusted members of staff had walked out on her on the basis that her position had become untenable because Sarah had worked behind her back setting up the meeting with the Fake Sheikh.

Which is another reason why I think that Oprah has been bad for her. It allowed Sarah to try to excuse her bad behaviour by giving her the opportunity to conveniently identify her problems as stemming from her being a 'people pleaser'. IMHO, this was just a label which has enabled Sarah to try to 'justify the unjustifable'! Sarah got caught up in the fake Sheikh scandal because she was - I have to say - being devious and acting without integrity. She was doing wrong, and her upbringing - traditional English - would surely have taught her right from wrong. [and if she was so sure that what she was doing was above board, why did she not set up the meeting through her office, just like any bona fide meeting to broker a deal would be?]

And another reason why Sarah needs advice is because she needs to kill the Fake Sheikh incident once and for all. The reason that it continues to haunt her is because she keeps on 'fanning the flames' by trying to claim that she was merely trying to help a friend etc. The best way would be for her to admit that she was up to no good and that she recognises that fact. And that there were no excuses. And that helping a 'friend', if that 'friend' really exists, is not an excuse and she needs to recognise it. Interviwers are always going to bring up the scandal whilst there continues to be 'mileage' in it. If Sarah just said that she had acted wrongly and that there were no excuses and she wants now to apologise and move on, then that would help to kill the Sheihk story stone dead. And then Sarah might just be able to move forward in some way. But she has just got to face facts and accept that her days of wanting a role in the forefront have now gone and she needs to retire from the public stage.

As always, just my thoughts, which are not meant to offend.

Alex

Last edited:
I thought she was claiming the "friend" was the one who introduced her to the fake Sheik, not that she only did what she did to help someone.

Either way, as soon as she started feeling suspicious about the sheik, all conversation should have ended. If it doesn't feel right, it usually isn't.

As posters on here have said, Sarah didn't do anything that was actually illegal; so there's reason why she can't make a public confession except her own inability to see the facts or dislike of admitting fault.

If Sarah just said that she had acted wrongly and that there were no excuses and she wants now to apologise and move on, then that would help to kill the Sheihk story stone dead.

Sadly, I also agree with Diarist, Sarah's time is past...the world has moved on to the next generation of royals. I strongly suspect that is what Sarah is going to do as well. She will probably continue her lifestyle of living at Royal Lodge, lots of freebie holidays (that she takes her daughters on) and charity work (with her daughters). Sarah will simply go from being Sarah, THE Duchess of York to being Sarah, Duchess of York, Mother of two royal princesses.

Sarah will simply go from being Sarah, THE Duchess of York to being Sarah, Duchess of York, Mother of two royal princesses.

Actually this is what she became when she divorced Andrew.

Perhaps now that the limelight from her recent ventures into docudrama and the ensuing book has fizzled out with not so great acclaim, she's realizing that her options are dwindling down to next to nothing and her only ticket to a "claim to fame" is the golden umbilical cord. She sure seems to be milking it for all it is worth lately.

Sarah will simply go from being Sarah, THE Duchess of York to being Sarah, Duchess of York, Mother of two royal princesses.

Most children in their 20s hate it when they are somewhere in a professional way and parents show up.Maybe Sarah manages to be there but staying in the background and just watch and share - then it might be ok for the princesses. But if she wants to be in the foreground then they'll hate it one day. So we just have to wait and see what Beatrice and Eugenie are going to do about their mother - it is their privilege to show Sarah how they want her to cope with their lives.

A lot has happened since May of 2010, when this article was published, that I'm sure would give even Tina Brown cause for pause on the subject of Sarah.

I don't think so actually. Yes, she's done a book, the OWN documentary and a few desperate television appearances...but the root cause is the same.

What I liked about Tina's appraisal is that Sarah would meet her in New York and talk about some ludicrous deal she had in the pipeline. What were her 2011 projects? Just more ludicrous deals.

Tina Brown, I think, very accurately gets to the roots of Sarah and how she is destined to repeat her mistakes, over and over again as she is in an environment, both within and outside her control, that dictates, to a great extent, her behaviour.

Tina Brown, I think, very accurately gets to the roots of Sarah and how she is destined to repeat her mistakes, over and over again as she is in an environment, both within and outside her control, that dictates, to a great extent, her behaviour.

Well, she did no research into the question how much Sarah really got at her divorce, she obviously simply believed Sarah. Which is no good point to start out writing such a piece. It is definately not Sarah's lack of luck which led her to all those embarrassing situations, but her own doing. That reporters were there to tell was a chance she was willing to take.

Lord Royal is spot-on with his assessment that Tina Brown was correct about Sarah and her ludicrous schemes etc. But, as Kataryn says, Tina Brown's article is poorly researched: Sarah had a very much more generous divorce settlement, as I have detailed on the appropriate thread. [The fact that Sarah appears to have gone through the capital like a knife through butter doesn't alter the fact that the BRF were very generous to her: the £15,000 is probably what she would have been entitled to on divorce - i.e. based on her husband's income, as under English divorce law there is no requirement for one's wealthy in-laws to chip in some cash!]

Tina Brown is also quite WRONG about Sarah's legal representation on her divorce: Sarah was represented throughout her divorce by a very competent so-called 'magic circle' matrimonial lawyer. As I have also said elsewhere, the reason that Diana got more was because her spouse, unlike Andrew, had the huge capital resources of the Duchy of Cornwall, which could - and indeed had to be - taken into account in the calculations. Prince Andrew, at the time of the divorce, had limited resources - his Civil List / Equivalent income had to be left out of calculations as it is payment for expenses, not resources.

And as for Sarah leaving school at 18 as Tina Brown seems to think, rubbish!! I knew Sarah Ferguson and she did NOT leave school at 18 - she left school aged 16 after 'O' Levels [from memory, she gained 6 'O' Levels] and then spent a year at Queen's Secretarial College, which was a finishing-school-type-of private-secretarial-college: The Queen Mother's niece Margaret Rhodes went there.....

Hope this helps,

Alex

Last edited:
And in my very humble opinion, the root cause of Sarah's problems seems to be her sense of entitlement.

Sarah seems to think that she is entitled to the lifestyle of one of the super-rich. Before her marriage, she certainly glimpsed this lifestyle: she saw first hand the wealth from the Grand Prix set and the International Polo set: but in both cases, this money belonged to the super rich who had earned it through being thoroughly astute businessmen etc: Paddy McNally was connected with the huge advertising revenues from Grand Prix circuits: he put together all the deals etc that brought him his great wealth, no doubt aided in part by his friendship with billionaire Mr Bernie Ecclestone. Sarah NEVER had access to this sort of money IN HER OWN RIGHT.

Polo 'wealth' is concentrated in two sectors: first, the team owners - known as ' Patrons', who are the international super-rich: Galen Weston, Kerry Packer, the late Henryk de Kwiatkowski and [ahem!!] Peter Brant, whose little financial difficulties landed him in gaol at one point! And, as well as the super rich, a good few of the English patrons included the aristocracy [Lord Cowdray for starters!!] The second sector of polo wealth is that of the high-goal [top ranking] polo players: these mostly international players [there are few such UK players] earn fortunes playing for patrons as well as -in many cases - breeding and 'making' [i.e. training] their own polo ponies, which they then sell for enormous prices to the aforesaid patrons.....

Sarah, before her marriage, certainly SAW this great wealth, but never in her own right. She was an appendage to Paddy McNally who was canny enough not to get engaged or married to her, which would have made himself liable for maintaining Sarah. And as for the polo scene, well, Sarah managed to get invited to a few - very few - polo parties given by the rich and famous, but purely by 'working' her connection to polo through Major Ron, who in turn knew how to 'work' his connections as unpaid Polo Manger to Prince Charles, but we are talking about expenses being covered rather than any financial recompense: I suspect that Major Ron possibly recieved a few generous 'tips' for the odd royal introduction he might have put together, but basically, he had his partying and accommodation tabs picked up by Patrons, and he certaibly got nothing from Prince Charles. And, for what it is worth, Sarah was never the girlfriend of a Patron or Polo player, which would have presumably given her some form of generous spending 'allowance'. It is a horrid thing to have to say this, because I abhor the type of society we live in where looks are all, but believe me, no polo player or patron wanted to be seen with 'Big Fat Fergie' or 'Poor Old Fergie' [as she was known] on his arm. The most she ever managed was the odd roll in the hay with a polo groom [very infra dig!!]. And the biggest tragedy of all is that suddenly, when the most eligble man in the world [as Prince Andrew, young royal war hero was at the time] took up with her, Sarah, instead of cherishing her good luck then went and blew it with the catalogue of bad behaviour and infidelities that we all know about, and which I have no need to repeat here yet again...

But I will say this, her options for recovery seem almost zero: Sarah seems incapable of earning her own living except by 'selling' her [ex!! 'royal] celebrity'. Her latest current affairs photos all seem so show her posing against 'advertising' banners at the various charitable and 'good causes' functions at which she now seems to be turning up to!! I have no proof about what the financial arrangements are, but I daresay that if one is posing against a 'All Saints Spitalfields' background, the fashion company is probably going to help generously with her 'expenses' [which again makes a mockery of using her royal connections: no member of the BRF charges for appearances - their expenses are covered either from the Civil List or the equivalent [uk appearances] or the Foreign Office (i.e. taxpayer) where Foreign Royal Tours are concerned.

And as for Sarah somehow managing to present herself as a savvy businesswoman - forget it! On her own admission, she has tried to excuse her various misdemeanors by saying that she never understood [even the most basic concepts of] finance!!

i have said it before: I think that Sarah can never be taken seriously as an independent business person and I do not think that she can ever be taken back into the BRF again - no chance that she can re-marry Andrew for example. All I think she can do is to ask her advisors to negotiate a form of grace-and-favour housing and a modest monthly allowance from the Queen [cf Marina Mowatt] in return for disappearing from public life.

Only my thoughts and NOT meant to offend,

Alex

Last edited:
Totaly agree Alex. In the UK Sarah is beyond the pale leaving her the option of retiring to a quiet life out of the public eye in the country (Lincolnshire would be good) or leave the country permanently and see what she can make of herself in America or some other country where she can live as a D List celebrity and perhaps bag a rich man who wants the cachet of being step dad to a couple of princesses.

Nicholas

I agree with you Diarist and Sarah only has herself to blame! I think she would be lucky to get any grace and favour place now and if she did I don't think she would get the upmarket address she feels she should have. I don't see marriage on the cards for her I really think that time has past. Andrew seems to have been the only silly one to do it. And I dont think he will ever remarry her while I can see they are friends he seems to be enjoying his life without her he dates who he wants and goes where he wants and doesn't get into debt like she always does. Sarah is probably being paid to show up to these events but in time even that will dwindle! Most D celebs can make some sort of living but for Sarah I don't see that as being enough.

Sad to say, but young and thin is what sells now. It's been 26 years since Sarah was the young, popular bride of HRH The Duke of York. A generation has been born, grown up, and settled into their own lives since that time. Why would they have any possible interest in a former duchess of any kind, even one who was married to a Prince of the United Kingdom? The people who are old enough to know who Sarah is, remember the glamour of the wedding and those hopeful first years; but they (we) also remember the scandals and the slide into pariah-hood. Sarah was always so interested in being "herself" when she married into the BRF that she never developed real royal dignity. The only thing "genteel" about her is her plummy accent. There's no gracefulness. There's nothing that says "I'm a woman of high social standing." PERHAPS she could do voice-overs for commercials, because she does have a good voice. But I think that anything else in the media--such as doing a talk show or documentaries--would become, inevitably, about her and end up involving the princesses or her former life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom