Options for Sarah to recover from the 'Cash for Access' scandal

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter what if a person does not have people to enable them in destructive behavior nothing will change. If A person always has the reassurance that they can go out into the world and make a big mess and their enablers are always there to fix things for them then why bother?. This latest venture of Sarah's seems like an attempted last second dunk shot from mid court before the final buzzer. I guess she is betting on the fact that Oprah has made a mega fortune in the U.S. and I quess she is hoping it will help her. Just my thoughts!

Oprah has made a bundle and there are a lot of people who love her ... however there are probably an equal or larger number who cannot stand her. Oprah came along at a very opportune time and took full advantage of it and that was very smart but she is much less impressive than she and some of her followers believe. If Sarah Ferguson thinks that she can, in any way, reach the same heights as Oprah then she is on some serious stuff.

My feelings have been neither pro or con Sarah until recently. It is the constant shifting of stories that is ridiculous. First her parents were abusive ... but wait it was misunderstood, they were really only upper class Brit parents doing what they do. Well IF that is the case THEN just why did she bring these issues up in the first place? She did it because she wanted to be seen as a victim and then that didn't work out the way she thought it would so then she switched stories. In a word, this woman cannot be believed in anything she says and it has actually (for me) colored my attitude toward her daughters whether that is fair or not. She needs to be cut loose and IMO, she is working these stories for all it's worth in the hopes that Andrew will marry her again and rescue her.

Last edited:
she is working these stories for all it's worth in the hopes that Andrew will marry her again and rescue her.[/QUOTE]

THUD!!! Somebody get the DOE off the floor please!! LOL!.:eek:

The maddening thing for me is that here is a woman that has had everything handed to her on a plate most of her life and has had other people bail her out and take care of her problems all this time. Sarah keeps on doing the same thing over again and we get the tears, the self hate, the Mummy hated me, every time. She'll be like this for the rest of her life, she won't change as long as Andrew is around to save her. That's what happened with Paddy McNally before Andrew. If something would happen to Andrew, she would freak out and then turn to her poor daughters and their trusts would be bled dry.
I think the whole "Mummy beat me", was added footage after it was revealed that Oprah wasn't happy with the production because it was "boring", so then the whole Mummy thing was added, I'll bet to make it more exciting.
The series was supposed to air in Jan. and it didn't. The story about Oprah came out and the series release was postponed. It wouldn't surprise me that this latest "revelation" was then added.;)

She'll be like this for the rest of her life, she won't change as long as Andrew is around to save her. That's what happened with Paddy McNally before Andrew.

There's a thought! Rumor at the time said McNally was relieved to get rid of her; he thought she was clingy and had no intention of marrying her, so was pleased to hand her off to Andrew.

Maybe what the BRF should do is find her a husband?
Preferably a foreign one who is not able to spend much time in Britain?
Then the suggestion a previous poster made about Simon Cowell (give him a title to manage Fergie) could be used to placate the new husband!
An earldom in exchange for a wedding? It would be a terrific bargain! :lol:

I still vote for The Convent! I think Vows of Poverty, Chastity, and Silence would do her some good. Plenty of time for reflection and self-assessment too.

I still vote for The Convent! I think Vows of Poverty, Chastity, and Silence would do her some good. Plenty of time for reflection and self-assessment too.

Well said, but a pipe dream I am afraid!

There's a thought! Rumor at the time said McNally was relieved to get rid of her; he thought she was clingy and had no intention of marrying her, so was pleased to hand her off to Andrew.

From the other thread:

Different topic: Paddy McNally. Yes, Sarah did everything to get Paddy to marry her, including going out of her way to prove her stepmum chops by getting close to his children. But Sarah didn't leave because Paddy didn't propose. The invitation came from Diana to Sarah while she was still with Paddy - and Paddy told her to go, meet some new men. He was finished with her but, like Andrew, wouldn't toss her out without a soft berth to land in. And being a princess was a pretty soft landing. Pity she couldn't perform the task, but McNally did right by her even if he didn't marry her.

Maybe what the BRF should do is find her a husband?
Preferably a foreign one who is not able to spend much time in Britain?
Then the suggestion a previous poster made about Simon Cowell (give him a title to manage Fergie) could be used to placate the new husband!
An earldom in exchange for a wedding? It would be a terrific bargain! :lol:

As the mother of Tim Jeffries, Koo Stark's groom, said at the time of the Stark-Jeffries marriage - "who would want such shop-worn goods?"

I think Sarah has more options than she either realizes or cares to admit. True, she can't go out and get a 9-5 job like most people, but there are things she could do to earn an income, albeit maybe not one that would allow her to live the lifestyle she has become accustomed to. She could work for a museum (hasn't she an interest in history) or different media outlets (Jackie O, a former first lady and one of the most sought after/photographed women of her time, went to work in publishing).
But for Sarah to go out and get a job would mean she is taking control and responsibility for her life and her future, and I think that is where her issues lay. I think she likes to play the "victim" and I think she likes having someone take care of her. Alot of women fall into this trap, esp. if they are lacking in self-confidence.
She really need to do something, tho, imo. The poor pitiful me routine has gotten old. I think she's alot stronger than she lets on, she just needs to see it for herself.

I think Sarah has more options than she either realizes or cares to admit. True, she can't go out and get a 9-5 job like most people, but there are things she could do to earn an income, albeit maybe not one that would allow her to live the lifestyle she has become accustomed to. She could work for a museum (hasn't she an interest in history) or different media outlets (Jackie O, a former first lady and one of the most sought after/photographed women of her time, went to work in publishing).

She has no training to work in a museum - Beatrice, with her 2.1 in History would probably have to do additional study to be even considered but she might be able to do so - Sarah - no way - she doesn't have a degree in History which would be the minimum requirement these days. Having an interest in History isn't enough to get jobs in museums - even having a degree wouldn't be enough - you would need to have one in museum studies/archaeology/science as well as some general history knowledge.

She is working for media outlets now - what do you think the who thing with Oprah is? Sarah has no skills that an employer would want - that is the issue. She left any real working life in 1986 and that will count against her.

She hasn't got the skills and thus is umemployable - add to the fact that she is over 50 - one of the hardest age groups for people who lose their jobs to get another job but she hasn't even had a job for 26 years so she would be way behind - no - getting any sort of normal job isn't an option.

She is working for media outlets now - what do you think the who thing with Oprah is?

She hasn't got the skills and thus is umemployable - add to the fact that she is over 50 - one of the hardest age groups for people who lose their jobs to get another job but she hasn't even had a job for 26 years so she would be way behind - no - getting any sort of normal job isn't an option.

She is not working with the media, she is being exploited by the media. Big difference. And she is allowing it because she is the Victim, after all.

If she played her cards right, she could get a gig as a correspondent or even hone her writing skills and land something in the print press.

You're talking about her as if she were a normal person who lost their job and is trying to re-enter the workforce after age 50. That is not the case here. Is she would step up and prove her mettle and stop the crying game, someone would give her a chance, degree/experience or not. I know plenty of ppl who are not famous or former royalty that are employed in great jobs now - and didn't have the degree or experience - because someone gave them a chance and they rose to the occasion, worked hard and applied themselves. I think Sarah has the potential to do this if she'd stop the pity party.

So if you think she is so incapable of being employed, pray then just what do you think she should do with herself the rest of her life? Sponge off her ex husband and/or her daughters? Or continue to prostitute herself to the highest media bidder until that well runs dry (and I'm afraid it's heading in that direction). And then what?

The maddening thing for me is that here is a woman that has had everything handed to her on a plate most of her life and has had other people bail her out and take care of her problems all this time. Sarah keeps on doing the same thing over again and we get the tears, the self hate, the Mummy hated me, every time. She'll be like this for the rest of her life, she won't change as long as Andrew is around to save her. That's what happened with Paddy McNally before Andrew. If something would happen to Andrew, she would freak out and then turn to her poor daughters and their trusts would be bled dry.

Why isn't HM doing something about this, like stripping her of her courtesy title? If she did that, Fergie would be dropped like a stone by the networks since she wouldn't have her own cachet to use to pawn like a jewel. I've always noticed how despite moving with the fast set, she's always been the one relying on boyfriends for the things she gets out of them. I for one wish they would just cut her off and avoid her, no matter how bad the PR. At this point she's not going ot chance and I wish HM would just man up and strip her of what she has left to market and exploit herself.

A real "aristo" would never be so utterly déclassé as to say anything of the sort. "Aristocratic" is the last thing this truly pathetic woman is...

Well, her maternal grandmother was a "honorable" as daughter of a Lord, while her father was a cousin of the duke of Gloucester because his mother was a Douglas-Montague-Scott of Buccleuch as was Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester. She has several dukes (Devonshire, Beaufort, Buccleuch) and numerous earls and lords in her lineage. So I guess she really is upper crust by birth. Unfortunately not by behaviour.

Why isn't HM doing something about this, like stripping her of her courtesy title? If she did that, Fergie would be dropped like a stone by the networks since she wouldn't have her own cachet to use to pawn like a jewel. I've always noticed how despite moving with the fast set, she's always been the one relying on boyfriends for the things she gets out of them. I for one wish they would just cut her off and avoid her, no matter how bad the PR. At this point she's not going ot chance and I wish HM would just man up and strip her of what she has left to market and exploit herself.

Sarah doesn't have a courtesy title.

She uses the style used by ALL divorced wives of peers. Using the style Sarah, Duchess of York is the same as Mrs John Jones calling herself Mrs Jane Jones after she divorced Mr John Jones. Or The Princess of Wales calling herself Diana, Princess of Wales or The Countess Spencer calling herself Victoria, Countess Spencer - something that all three women did on getting their divorces because that is the style of divorced wives of peers - no coutesy about it - simply the new form to indicate their new status.

HM doesn't have the power to 'strip' her of that style - only the government can do that - by legislating that ALL divorced women return to their pre-divorce names.

She is not working with the media, she is being exploited by the media. Big difference. And she is allowing it because she is the Victim, after all.

You see I don't see it that way at all - she is putting on a performance at the advice of people she trusts like Oprah to entertain the masses - nothing more nothing less - because that is what the masses watch - rich people, famous people playing the victim - they did it with Diana for years and with Sarah for years. Both basically have made it their living

If she played her cards right, she could get a gig as a correspondent or even hone her writing skills and land something in the print press.
Name one company that would consider employing her - her name would be seen as a disaster if she was a correspondent - and she would be seen as cashing in on her access to the royal family through her daughters - look at the bad press Paul Butler gets for doing this and he was only the butler but she was the daughter-in-law and is the mother of two HRHs - no way she could be a correspondent or anything smakes of using her connections. Her writing skills are mediocre at best - and limited in their appeal IMHO.

You're talking about her as if she were a normal person who lost their job and is trying to re-enter the workforce after age 50. That is not the case here. Is she would step up and prove her mettle and stop the crying game, someone would give her a chance, degree/experience or not. I know plenty of ppl who are not famous or former royalty that are employed in great jobs now - and didn't have the degree or experience - because someone gave them a chance and they rose to the occasion, worked hard and applied themselves. I think Sarah has the potential to do this if she'd stop the pity party.

The fact that she isn't a 'normal person who lost their job and is trying to re-enter the workforce after age 50' makes even harder as she has no work history. Someone who loses their job after 50 but has had a regular job for that last 30 years has a far greater chance of getting a new job than someone who hasn't been in the workforce in that time - employers would be taking too big a chance - and the statistics show very clearly that employees put off after age 50, even with a regular work history behind, have increasing difficulty getting jobs - because employers want younger workers and ones with modern skills. She doesn't have any of those.

So if you think she is so incapable of being employed, pray then just what do you think she should do with herself the rest of her life? Sponge off her ex husband and/or her daughters? Or continue to prostitute herself to the highest media bidder until that well runs dry (and I'm afraid it's heading in that direction). And then what?

I don't know what she could do to earn her own living but I do know that getting a 'normal' jog isn't an option.

She is still getting an annuity from Andrew - and will do so for the rest of her/his life of 15,000 pounds a year - not much, she has no home and can't afford to buy one. She probably needs to live with Andrew and not travel so much to live within her means of 15k.

Everytime people come here and say she needs to get a job they don't come up with a viable option for a middle aged woman with no skills and no work history. There in lies the problem - she is unemployable unless she uses her name to make TV 'poor me' type shows that feed the ghoulish tastes of the masses.

Perhaps now there is no hope (or very little) for her because she has burned most of her bridges and she is not taken seriously by the Geneal Public. But I believe there was a chance, and could still be one - maybe - if she did a complete about face.

The public may want rich and famous victims, but in this day where anyone w a pulse can get a "reality" show, the public interest is fickle and will soon tire of seeing and hearing about Sarah and all her problems, esp. where there are so many others waiting in the wings to fill her shoes in that category.

If living off of Andrew is her only option, then she best pray he lives a very long life. Tho I'm sure if anything were ever to happen to him, she'd just move on to her daughters and their families; doting grandma and all that.

Sad that this woman is still unable to stand on her own two feet and that she remains dependent upon others for her mere existence.

But, I still believe that given the right climate, and with a new attitude, she could come out from under that pity umbrella and forge some kind of life for herself, indepenent of the charity and goodwill of others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everytime people come here and say she needs to get a job they don't come up with a viable option for a middle aged woman with no skills and no work history. There in lies the problem - she is unemployable unless she uses her name to make TV 'poor me' type shows that feed the ghoulish tastes of the masses.

You raise an interesting point. People (even me at times) tend to think that someone with all Sarah's "advantages" should surely be able to get a decent job. But once you take away Sarah's connections to the royal family, she's just a middle-aged woman with no skills and no employment background.

I mean, imagine if you are an employer and a "Ms. Sarah Ferguson" turns up looking for a job. She's 51 years old and has written some mediocre books, helped produce a movie, worked as an ambassador for Weight Watchers and done some public speaking. And many years ago she worked for a publisher. But why would you hire her, really? When you look at it, Sarah doesn't have much of an employment record.

Last edited:
That's probably true. In this day and age, employers want to see a comprehensive employment history, rather than a few, unrelated, jobs.

Sarah needs to look at her CV - that's if she has one - and do some serious thinking.

You raise an interesting point. People (even me at times) tend to think that someone with all Sarah's "advantages" should surely be able to get a decent job. But once you take away Sarah's connections to the royal family, she's just a middle-aged woman with no skills and no employment background.

I mean, imagine if you are an employer and a "Ms. Sarah Ferguson" turns up looking for a job. She's 51 years old and has written some mediocre books, helped produce a movie, worked as an ambassador for Weight Watchers and done some public speaking. And many years ago she worked for a publisher. But why would you hire her, really? When you look at it, Sarah doesn't have much an employment record.

That's very true. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I wonder if Sarah is thinking that stepping down from WeighWatchers was a big mistake, she seemed to be good for them and vice versa.
There is a version of the show "Who do you think you are?" here is Ireland. There have been reports of the producers approaching her with a view to researching her Irish anchestry. I'm not sure if spending a few weeks in Ireland doing that would interest her, and obviously our State Broadcaster wouldn't have a big budget.
She also had meetings in LA recently about turning her books into cartoon series.

I watched the episode of Finding Sarah when she went to her publishers to pitch a book about "Little Red". The publishers didn't even take her seriously. I feel like Sarah is in denial. She wants so badly to be like Kate and be apart of the royal family again. But that wont happen. She needs to stop being in denial about everything and move on!

Oprah has given Sarah the very last platform she could have to redeem herself. I hate the show- it's brutal and difficult to watch, but make no mistake, Sarah should be EXTREMELY grateful that Oprah Winfrey would even give her such an opportunity. Sadly, it seems that no one in England other than Andrew and her two daughters even cares if she drops dead. Oprah is given her an opportunity to reintroduce herself to the American public and hopefully, build a career from there. What she does with it is up to her.

The Queen could discretely give her a reasonable annuity and allow her a bit of dignity, but instead, she would prefer to see her further degraded rather than to reach out a helping hand.

I'm not even a fan of Oprah. It must be some parallel universe where Oprah Winfrey is called a parasite and Sarah Ferguson is somehow more worthy. What a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me that she's hoping (like many others) to use a reality show as her stepping stone into a more media-involved career. There are dozens of "successful" examples - although each one of them needs to husband their money and realize that all such work is temporary.

Heidi Montag comes to mind. Hugh Hefner's former girlfriends get jobs hyping Vegas casinos. Some take pay for going to parties. It's rather similar to the "pay for access" scheme Sarah was using before, but instead, it's above-board interaction with the media.

If people recognize her name at all, she could be useful to certain "products," as she once was with a weight loss system. Endorsements, etc., may be her hope. This is not unlike the "work" that Victoria Beckham does. Perhaps Sarah will have a fashion line at Costco or Walmart - who knows?

Women who look a bit like Sarah will find her appealing in an ad campaign, whether or not they know who she is, and her British accent will sway some people as well. There are probably marketable factors about her (Oprah is shrewd; she didn't pay Sarah to tape a worthless reality show, Oprah is making money somewhere - and so is Sarah).

I can see Sarah getting a job on GDA or The View, for example.

In my opinion, Diana was not hounded to death by the press. That implies an innocence that did not exist. Diana played with the press. Last I looked the press do not carry weapons or cause you harm. Running from them is a voluntary act - for whatever reason - and it is very likely she could have left the hotel without anyone knowing. When they got into the car, the press were already on to them - the jig was up. What they did next was of their own volition.

I agree with the idea that Sarah is being hounded by the press because "Sarah screws up again" sells papers. They would stop if she would stop. She courts publicity but doesn't want any bad press. These are not mutually compatible goals.

As for the Diana conversation, I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree because I think they used their vehicles as weapons, as they had been driving erratically and dangerously. However I do agree with you that Diana did court press attention.

I also agree with you about the Sarah press. I'm a strong believer in actions are far louder than speaking. You can't make money out of publicity one minute, then say you don't want bad press the next.

Onto a more positive note, Princess Beatrice looks absolutely incredible at the moment, well done to her, that was the best way to get revenge on the press who gave her such a hard time for her weight, she looks gorgous.

I wonder if Sarah and The Press are in a symbiotic relationship ??
The kind where two organisms feed on one another....

Oprah has given Sarah the very last platform she could have to redeem herself. I hate the show- it's brutal and difficult to watch, but make no mistake, Sarah should be EXTREMELY grateful that Oprah Winfrey would even give her such an opportunity. Sadly, it seems that no one in England other than Andrew and her two daughters even cares if she drops dead.
The Queen could discretely give her a reasonable annuity and allow her a bit of dignity, but instead, she would prefer to see her further degraded rather than to reach out a helping hand.

Hold on a second, as a British woman, please can you explain why you think my Queen should bail this woman out. The fact is if she wanted to she could get Andrew to kick her out at anytime, so the Queen is being more than reasonable with her.
Whether you are a fan of Sarah or not, she has done a lot of damage to the royal family's reputation, and caused the Queen personal sadness over the years, and still hasn't learnt when to stop. Although I don't pretend to know the Queen personally, but I think it's a fairly safe bet that she'd prefer Sarah to be quiet and stop making a mockery of her beloved family.

At the end of the day, the Queen offered her a very nice divorce settlement, but Sarah refused (apparently she wanted friendship). Everything thats happened, Sarah has done to herself.

Imagine if Sarah had hurt someone you love, would you want to help her then? I know I wouldn't.

Hold on a second, as a British woman, please can you explain why you think my Queen should bail this woman out. The fact is if she wanted to she could get Andrew to kick her out at anytime, so the Queen is being more than reasonable with her.
Whether you are a fan of Sarah or not, she has done a lot of damage to the royal family's reputation, and caused the Queen personal sadness over the years, and still hasn't learnt when to stop. Although I don't pretend to know the Queen personally, but I think it's a fairly safe bet that she'd prefer Sarah to be quiet and stop making a mockery of her beloved family.

At the end of the day, the Queen offered her a very nice divorce settlement, but Sarah refused (apparently she wanted friendship). Everything thats happened, Sarah has done to herself.

Imagine if Sarah had hurt someone you love, would you want to help her then? I know I wouldn't.

I don't disagree with you. The Queen has no obligation to her at all. However, Sarah's faults are not youthful transgressions. She truly has poor judgement and a lack of conscience. I don't think that Andrew and her daughters would be so forgiving unless they realized she was not going to get better and miraculously change.

If you accept that she will not change, perhaps because she is incapable of it, she will, with the excuse of needing money, engage in increasingly degrading acts. Sometimes, people are beyond "punishment"- they don't know how low is low enough. I have known people like this. You are left with two choices: let them sink, or help them, even though they may not deserve it. I am suggesting that the Queen could choose the latter.

I highly doubt the Queen gives a crap. And although I do not think Sarah is that bad, she's an embarrassment but not dangerous, she is Andrew's problem not the Queen's.

I think Sarah needs to get a grip on reality and realize how much better off she is than others. She just takes it all for granted! There are people out there who can barely put food on the table or working 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet. Sarah is just sucking the life out of Andrew and her daughters to avoid being an adult.

This whole "woe is me" attitude is just pathetic, childish and embarrassing. No one will feel sorry for her if she keeps doing what she's doing. The sympathy clock is about to stop ticking.

I don't know what people expect the Queen to do? Give Sarah more money? How long would that last? A week? A month? A year at best?

Sarah has a gigantic problem. She insists on living like a multimillionaire and she doesn't have any money. But Sarah refuses to get it...there is no way that she is ever going to change her spending habits or her lifestyle.

After the tv series on Oprah and her new book, I really can't see anyone taking Sarah seriously. Who is going to want her to advertise their product, be a commentator on their tv program or have her as a host on a talk show?

I sincerely hope that I am wrong. But I think that Sarah's problems are just beginning.

I don't know what people expect the Queen to do? Give Sarah more money? How long would that last? A week? A month? A year at best?

Sarah has a gigantic problem. She insists on living like a multimillionaire and she doesn't have any money. But Sarah refuses to get it...there is no way that she is ever going to change her spending habits or her lifestyle.

After the tv series on Oprah and her new book, I really can't see anyone taking Sarah seriously. Who is going to want her to advertise their product, be a commentator on their tv program or have her as a host on a talk show?

I sincerely hope that I am wrong. But I think that Sarah's problems are just beginning.

This is probably true, but Sarah does have contacts. That's why I think she might be able to do some sort of PR work, like her sister does. She must know so many wealthy people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom