Options for Sarah to recover from the 'Cash for Access' scandal

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she basically only thought what the Royal family can and should do for her and not what she should and could do for them...

I think she basically only thought what the Royal family can and should do for her and not what she should and could do for them...

I agree with you auntie, I think Sarah either didn't realise or forgot that by marrying into the BRF she is/was exspected to give back as much, (if not more), as she was given. I think that she forgot that in the BRF you excepted to earn your crust by attending events, smiling and keeping your mouth shut, it's not just about being handed nice dresses and nice food on a silver platter, you have to work for it.

Maybe Marie will forgive Sarah when Sarah forgives Sarah. And I mean TRUELY forgives. The kind that means "I'm not going to put myself in that situation ever again."
With Sarah, unfortunately, we have seen this distructive pattern of her life (over eating, over spending, etc.) over and over and over again.
I hope 2011 will be a bright future for her, really.

Russo, you are a light in the darkness. Speaking from experience, it is very, very difficult for some people to become who they are now, not what they were then. I personally suffered such angst, but somehow drew up enough gumption to get on with it. If a person wants to change, they will; if not, they won't. Personally, I pity her as she can't get a handle on reality. I have a hard time hating the pitiable. Hopefully, she will sit bolt-upright in the middle of the night and become the Sarah she needs to be.

Hey, we all have our "stuff" or our "Baggage". However, Sarah has been loooong over due in getting over hers. If she doesn't do it this year or soon, I will then think that she enjoys wallowing in it for the attention.
There is a lovely book out called "Healing the Shame that Binds You." By John Bradshaw.
Amazon.com: Healing the Shame That Binds You (9780932194862): John Bradshaw: Books
Sarah, IMO, would do well to read and heed the advice given in this book.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you auntie, I think Sarah either didn't realise or forgot that by marrying into the BRF she is/was exspected to give back as much, (if not more), as she was given. I think that she forgot that in the BRF you excepted to earn your crust by attending events, smiling and keeping your mouth shut, it's not just about being handed nice dresses and nice food on a silver platter, you have to work for it.

Perhaps I am much older than you which accounts for my memories which explicitly prompt the recall that during most the time that she was married to Andrew she did indeed perform her royal duties quite well. She was also immensely popular with the Queen, as was so frequently remarked upon. One thing which she coped with, quite badly, was the extended separations from her husband.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Queen and Andrew both have a good, solid, positive relationship with Sarah: she'd hardly remain in her position of relative privilege if this weren't so.

On her 18th birthday, Beatrice said that her mother was the one who inspired her most. "She leads by example and her behaviour is one that I'd really like to follow", she said. As with her daughters, Sarah holds and retains the affections of all who know her.

Nor should we forget that Sarah's latest position of near bankruptcy was not engendered by an extravagant lifestyle but by the GFC, which was worldwide and affected millions of businesses, including hers, which, hitherto, was successful.

There is lot more to Sarah than what some tacky newspapers print. From the minute she became engaged to Andrew, some sections of the media have been on the attack against her. Possibly, it's a habit which is too hard to break, especially on a slow news day.

Perhaps I am much older than you which accounts for my memories which explicitly prompt the recall that during most the time that she was married to Andrew she did indeed perform her royal duties quite well.

My memories are very different, for I recall constant criticism that Sarah did as little as she could possibly get away with.
Wasn't she known as Duchess Dolittle, back then?

Some employee mentioned at the time of the divorce that she was not suited for royal life; he was reproved for that, but I thought he was right on target.

Someone (Lord Charteris) said something to the effect that this woman is "simply vulgar, vulgar, vulgar."

It doesn't seem to me that she was ever very popular, once the wedding euphoria was over.

Last edited:
I suppose we can try and look for the benefit of the doubt when possible:flowers:

(Hmm, owes tons of money, and was "conned" into bashing/offering up the royal connections? Sounds familiar should be treated more similiar.... :bang: )

Anyway, when I was a little kid Sarah seemed great. Prince Andrew seemed very enamored by her describing her not red but "titian" hair. They seemed to be great friends as well as loving each other. She was described by more than one person as a breath of fresh air.

Yet there was something in Fergie that always seemed a little dangerous like what is she going to do next and after a while it is no longer fun. I do feel somewhat sorry for her in that she was in the royal family at the same time as Diana, didn't get anywhere near the funding, but was expected by the press, and probably others to be able to look as fashionable, etc.

These things seemed to have festered in her, where she acts out, puts her foot in it over and over as if she can't stop. I'm thinking that with every joke there is some truth and that Andrew meant the 3rd child as a joke, but it really seems to be true unfortunately.

Andrew has surprised me at times with his old "Playboy Prince" persona that he can be quite mature, and understanding in some instances. Like when Windsor Castle caught on fire and he was there helping. Or even when the Queen still hadn't been put completely through the Diana wringer yet and had "banished" Fergie to watching the royal carriages going by at some event. There was Andrew by her side as if he was a "commoner" suddenly too. I was touched by his support of the women he was in a divorce with. I doubt now with the sensitivity of the Queen after the Diana trauma, she would have made that decision to have Fergie on the sidelines. She has become much more forgiving and may keep bailing out these "family" members that get into trouble rather than be blamed for hurting, humiliating, snubbing, etc. anyone.

Fergie definitely is a woman who cannot control her impulses. I never really understood exactly why they broke up. Yet perhaps even more than a bailout from the Queen, she needs a steadying source beside her. Perhaps this is another reason she acts out... Andrew and having him respond to her like a damsel in distress? Would that ever really be a possibility as others have suggested re-marriage? I don't know if she divorced him or vice versa. (sorry if someone else has brought up this point already. I am new to this forum and only could read so many posts)

Last edited:
My memories are very different, for I recall constant criticism that Sarah did as little as she could possibly get away with.

Some employee mentioned at the time of the divorce that she was not suited for royal life; he was reproved for that, but I thought he was right on target.

Someone (Lord Charteris) said something to the effect that this woman is "simply vulgar, vulgar, vulgar."

It doesn't seem to me that she was ever very popular, once the wedding euphoria was over.

Mirabel, I think yourself and Polly are probably both accurate with your recollections, but perhaps coming from a different angle.

I think the main point Polly was trying to make was that Sarah wasn't/isn't all bad news. She was in the early days popular with her former inlaws, the Queen enjoyed spending time with her, and seemed to have a warmer, easier, more relaxed relationship with her than she did with Diana. Prince Philip liked Sarah's straight talking, no nonsense, call it as your see it, personality (somewhat typical of some of his own character, but he can't seem to forgive or forget Sarah's mistakes, and doesn't give her any credit when it is due). You also had Charles saying to his wife, "why can't you be more like Fergie?".
The Quotes you refer to were of course well documented, but the only thing I would say is that the bad/negative comments are so much easier to remember than the positive. Before Diana found her feet, and come into her own, the press found Sarah's more outgoing personality refreshing. The journalist who first coined the "Duchess of Pork" label is on record as saying she was actually surprisingly pleasant to him when they met years later considering that headline has haunted her since.

Sarah found some royal duties tedious, but of course she should have grinned and beared it more. Having said she doesn't strike me as lazy, when she gets behind something she seems to give it her all, and puts her heart into it.

I'm not defending Sarah's mistakes (no one could) but I know of two people who have meet her: one of my friends was working at a bookstore in Dublin a few years back when she was doing a booksigning and everyone found her to be extremly warm, friendly, funny and down to earth. The following week she sent the staff a card and some sort of hamper to thank them for their kindness on the day.
My sister's friend was working in a nursing home in London years back when Sarah and Diana visited, an elderly woman took very ill during their visit, and over the next few weeks Sarah keep in contact with the nursing home and the woman's family. When she passed away one of the first cards and bouquet of flowers the family received were from Sarah.

These are stories you won't read about in the papers and very much as odds with her public image.
I mightn't be her biggest fan but I do think she has more going for her than she's given credit for.

Last edited:
What I remember from Sarah's days with the BRF is that she never grew a thick enough skin to deal with the media. The minute they called her the Duchess of DoLittle, she upped her engagements to pass even the Princess Royal. Thus she gave too much credence to the media. When they smelt blood in the water they went after it.
Now with the Oprah deal she seems to be pandering to the media yet again, a dangerous game that Diana lost.

The first real slamming of Sarah that I remember is when she didn't take Beatrice to Australia with her and Andrew in 1989; then she answered the criticism by saying that she didn't see much of Andrew and wanted to put him first by staying in Australia and meeting him whenever his ship docked. This contrasted of course with the approach that Charles and Diana had about taking William to Australia in 1983. In my memory, this was the first real criticism of Sarah that stuck. The criticism about her trips and vacations came after that.

To echo several previous views, I too very much hope that this year could really be a new start for Sarah.
I'm really looking forward to the "Finding Sarah" show, and I hope it'll fulfil three very important functions:
Firstly, to help Sarah move on from her problems, and look forward to a happier future.
Secondly, to improve her public image after the cash for access scandal. I genuinely feel that when people see Sarah's "real self", they really react to her positively, and respect her honesty.
Thirdly, I'm sure it will make her some money, and this is a major consideration. The sooner she gets back on her feet financially, the better. People forget that her current problems weren't just about over-spending (though of course that was part of it) but also the global financial crisis, which affected her business interests.

I hope this venture will be therapeutic, lucrative and hopefully provide some positive PR as well, and I wish Sarah all the best with it.

I can't help feeling that, no matter how lucrative the venture may prove, it will never be enough. If she has any money at all she seems determined to spend it as fast as possible on luxuries.

The only way I can see to keep her from getting in financial trouble again is for her to have a manager who will settle the bills first and then dole out only a limited allowance for extras.

She's a grown woman though. After a while that'll become tiresome. She's too free spirited to give up such control and with her situation the way it currently is there's no reason for to do so as no one's forcing the issue.

If Sarah hasn't learned from everything that has happened, then she never will. She won't learn either when well meaning people rush in and bail her out each time which has been stated here before.

I can't help feeling that, no matter how lucrative the venture may prove, it will never be enough. If she has any money at all she seems determined to spend it as fast as possible on luxuries.

The only way I can see to keep her from getting in financial trouble again is for her to have a manager who will settle the bills first and then dole out only a limited allowance for extras.

It's worth bearing in mind of course that some of Sarah's financial problems stem from the global financial crisis, which really hit her ability to make money in the US, with her company "Hartmoor" going out of business.

That said, however, I'd still have to concede your point that there is an ongoing problem for Sarah in terms of controlling her spending. For many people, this can be something psychological connected with unhappiness or insecurity, and this may well be the case with Sarah.

Maybe you're right that the best thing would be for her to put herself in the hands of someone who can keep a tight rein on her spending. Prince Andrew clearly still cares deeply for her and has helped out enormously in recent times - perhaps he could put her under the guidance of whoever looks after his own financial affairs.

Looking at the positives, Sarah showed great determination to come back from her previous debt problems in the 90s. She worked hard, made sacrifices and got back in the black. I’m sure she can do it again, and hopefully this time, with help and support, she can avoid making the same mistakes. But really only time will tell.

FergieFan said:
I’d just like her to be able to go about her life in peace. It’s hard to rebuild and move on, if the media doesn’t give you the space in which to do so.

She's perfectly capable of re-building the life she has, if she chooses to stay away from the media. No oprah, no flashing someone elses money. She could fly over to somewhere in the far east and build a new life and come back in 6 months time with nothing on record, no debts just a new life.

What strikes me is how much scrutiny British royals get, whatever they do. They can't help being celebrities, at some level, so they might as well enjoy it or at least get used to it (or work it).

I know a lot of every day women who like to joke around, and Sarah Ferguson seems so much like one of them. Fanning money is funny, especially if you're not supposed to do it.

Is it dangerous? Oh, I suppose. Is it embarrassing (a bit) to the status of royalty? Yes, a bit (and a lot if the people observing are staid). Is it worth it to be (a bit) embarrassing to one's former in-laws? Sometimes (I've avoided it, and for precisely the reasons that one should avoid it: it's not classy).

Sarah probably doesn't care if she looks foolish to any folk, and that was likely a point of her display. Perhaps she wants her children to know that doing what one wills (instead of what someone else wills) can be fun. Who knows?

But I sure would hate the public scrutiny she gets. I have no idea how I would react long term.

She's perfectly capable of re-building the life she has, if she chooses to stay away from the media. No oprah, no flashing someone elses money. She could fly over to somewhere in the far east and build a new life and come back in 6 months time with nothing on record, no debts just a new life.

I don't really understand your comment. How can Sarah rebuild her life if she has no career? What is her "new life" supposed to consist of? Everything she has done since her divorce has involved the media.

I'm not saying I think Oprah's "Finding Sarah" documentary is a great idea, but what are Sarah's other options?

I don't even understand the part about flying to the far east...what is Sarah supposed to do in the far east? For six months? She has already been absent from public life/the media (except for a few tabloid shots) since late May.

I'm not psychic, but I think I'm just repeating what others here have said in different ways, when I say I really don't see the Oprah documentary as re-igniting Sarah's media career. I see it more as the final flicker of Sarah's career. Sarah will probably try to write a few more books/snag a few more speaking engagements for a year or two. When those fizzle out, she will really have to face the music.

Exactly - outside of a media type job Sarah has no skills that would allow her to get a job as anything. She is either too old or too unskilled for anything except selling herself and her name - that is it.

She can't earn a crust without using her name and connections as that is all she has, and all she has had since she walked down the aisle in 1986.

Whatever skills she had before then would have no chance of getting her a job now because they would be obsolete.

Could the people who say she should get a 'career' or a 'job' come up with viable careers and jobs for a woman with no skills, no qualifications, and only a name to do? Remember she is in her 50s and the unemployment rate in Britain is rather high at the moment - due to the state of the economy. The career/job has to be realistic for the mother of two princesses as well - so check-out chick at a supermarket isn't realistic (besides which she is too old anyway).

rmay286 said:
I don't really understand your comment. How can Sarah rebuild her life if she has no career? What is her "new life" supposed to consist of? Everything she has done since her divorce has involved the media.

If she wanted to re-build her life, she could easily find something else to do outside the media. She might be old, but she isn't 90.

rmay286 said:
I'm not saying I think Oprah's "Finding Sarah" documentary is a great idea, but what are Sarah's other options?

Stay away from the media? Why does she have to do a television documentary which will know doubt embarrass her?

rmay286 said:
I don't even understand the part about flying to the far east...what is Sarah supposed to do in the far east? For six months? She has already been absent from public life/the media (except for a few tabloid shots) since late May.

Something other than be constantly talked about for her debts and the rubbish way she is living her life? How about charity work? Set up a charity where she could do some good for a change.

Please give a list of concrete jobs she could do. Actual jobs which a 50+ something can get with no experience, qualifications or skills in a time of high unemployment.

Charities rely on publicity to raise money and she has set up charity already - in 1993 called Children in Crisis. She is currently The Patron of The Teenage Cancer Trust as well. http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/who-we-are/patrons/sarah-duchess-of-york/ Another charity of which she is also currently The Patron is http://www.themullanyfund.org/about/sarah-ferguson-patron

However, being Patron of a charity doesn't pay a salary. So that isn't an option for her to be independent.

Could the people who say she should get a 'career' or a 'job' come up with viable careers and jobs for a woman with no skills, no qualifications, and only a name to do? Remember she is in her 50s and the unemployment rate in Britain is rather high at the moment - due to the state of the economy. The career/job has to be realistic for the mother of two princesses as well - so check-out chick at a supermarket isn't realistic (besides which she is too old anyway).

As far as I recall, she had worked as editor in a publishing house before her wedding and later been a successful (well, at least published) author. These skills in book writing and publishing are things she could base a new, quieter career upon as it shouldn't be too difficult to find a job with her connections. Of course, she would only earn an average income and couldn't support herself anymore in a luxurious way but she would be employed and be able to find more self-esteem on having a place and position where she really belongs. Because without money and a stable foundation your social position in the High Society is not a really pleasant one. You (especially as anyone knows about your financial woes) are just a payed (one way or the other) court jester, mother of princesses or not.

The job she had in the publishing world was a secretarial job but the skills needed by a secretary now are very different to those needed in 1986. Then she needed typing, filing and shorthand rather than full ability with a word processor, etc. She simply doesn't have the training or experience to get a job like that now.

No publishing house would employ someone who hasn't been in the field for over 25 years when they can get a young 18 years old and train them to do it their way.

She is unemployable as she has no skills. She might be able to get a job as a cleaner and not much more but that isn't suitable for the mother of two princesses.

Writing is hit and miss - not all her books were successful and are they still selling - not really. Even if she wrote a book it could be years before she earned anything much from it as it would take a year or more to write and then she would have to go to the media to promote it and then hope that people would buy it - what if they don't - she has still no income.

These are not viable options for jobs that would get her a steady income that would allow her to live a life suitable to her position.

Come on people - all of you who put her down and say she has to get a job and live within her means - come up with a viable job for a 50+ woman with no skills or experience. (As a woman of similar age - although 30 years experience in my profession I now it is virtually impossible to change jobs so what chance a person would have with no skills or experience is beyond me). Imagine the job interview - what qualifications do you have - 'none', what jobs have you had 'well a wrote some books, produced a movie, married a prince, oh about 25 years ago I worked as a secretary/girl friday' - by now the potential employer is laughing him/herself silly at her thinking herself able to do the job.

It's not about what's suitable for the mother of two princesses. It's what
suitable, period. Part of the reason that she's in such a mess is that she can't separate from the royal lifestyle.

She's obviously never reconciled the fact that she isn't supposed to live like a royal without the necessary funds. She pulled herself out of debt and burned through it, ending up being taken care of by her ex husband and her daughter's trust funds.

Various articles mention her inability to control her impulses. She can't fly coach or even business class, it has to be first she sees something, she gets it. If she had learned to control that aspect of her personality she would not have been in such a massive hole or maybe she might not have been in a hole at all.

Does she need to be in the public eye? Yes, but there's a difference between walking the edge and being in the middle of the spotlight. Rubbing elbows with the elite and trying to be them. Living comfortably or extravagantly. Until she learns that she doesn't need to be the latter nothing's going to change.

I think you are perfectly right and you paint a correct view of the situation, Sliver bic !

I think everyone is being a little hard on Sarah. I, too am disappointed in the latest Andrew antics, but she isn't the first or the last person to declare bankruptcy and then continued in her lifestyle.

First of all, the Daily Mail is a big instigator in all things Sarah. She certainly gives them ammunition but come on?! Just because she declared bankruptcy she can't go shopping? Or since, we have no proof that she actually bought anything (does the DM have a receipt) how do we know if the money she was flashing around was hers?

If anyone knows anything about the bankruptcy system (at least in the US), creditors love people who just got out of bankruptcy. Why? Because they have no debt, and can only declare bankruptcy every couple of years so despite the fact that they were a credit risk, now they are less so because they have no debt. Its a double edged sword. And for the record, many well known people and companies have declared bankruptcy and come out stronger than ever (GM to name one large corporation).

Fergie was and is used to a particular style of living (and dont' forget she lived on the fringes of that even before she married Andrew) and while she should certainly not live beyond her means. If she has the intelligence and the ambition to live that way, than she needs to find a way to support herself. And after her divorce, she did just that. Her mistake (like many who have got caught in the global recession) was that she didn't pull in her purse strings when money began to get tight.

As iluvbertie said, there aren't many ways she could support herself. What she should have done (but hindsight is 20/20) was once she cleared her debt the first time (she should have put at least 20 to 30 percent of her sponsorship money to savings), she should have invested in the real estate market (she was in a money position to flip because in the beginning the market was hot) once her sponsorhips ended she should have joined the Board of Directors of any top 100 to 500 US Corporation (its not in Britian and she would have to verify that any business dealings would not embarass the BRF). They pay their directors a nice sum. She has enough friends with money that they could have advised her of ways to diversify her money and holdings so that it wasn't all about Sarah. By that I mean, when the interest in Sarah dried up (as it does for every well known figure) , she would have had her money and interests in other business interests.

She also should have aligned herself with any movie production company and continue to put out movies such as Young Victoria, Howard's End, etc.

Hopefully she will utilize her Oprah exposure in a good way, and if she makes a bit of money she will invest it wisely.

Last edited:
Zonk you read my mind in regards to Sarah's flashing cash per the DM- the article even says she didn't buy anything but was just carrying Mrs Robbie William's bags ......

Also, clarification regarding US bankruptcy.

If Sarah was a US citizen, the day after her bankruptcy was discharged she would not be able to just go and ring up thousands and millions dollars of debt. She would start off slow (with a high interest rate credit card or car), and than based on that her credit would grow again.

According to Boxoffice Mojo, Young Victoria cost 35 million and only made 27 million. I wonder if they counted in the DVD sales. Since Sarah was a producer, if the movie had made more it would have increased her investment. She needs to be a producer again of a movie that people really want to see. Something by Jane Austen or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom