Options for Sarah to recover from the 'Cash for Access' scandal

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought, at the time the scandal broke, there were articles in the press claiming that Sarah would move out of Royal Lodge?
Has that plan been discarded?

How long has she actually been living with Andrew since their divorce? I thought that arrangement was supposed to be temporary, after Sarah's house burned.

It seems like she'd have more chance of recovering from the scandal if she wasn't living right on the premises and proclaiming herself mistress of the house.
As it is, it gives the media some ammunition to claim it's all business as usual.

When the scandal broke Sarah continued on with a planned trip to the US before returning to the UK to face the music. Throughout that week there was daily speculation in the press, one story was that she had offered to move out of Royal Lodge. When the dust settled a bit most papers carried reports that Andrew was supporting her/standing by her.
Since then there have been no reports to suggest that Andrew has asked her to move out of Royal Lodge.
It was just Andrew and the girls that originally moved in to Royal Lodge, and Sarah was renting nearby. Sarah joined them in February 2008 (it was supposed to be for 6 weeks approx while repairs were carried out after a fire at Sarah's property). Sarah let the lease run out on the property, and didn't take up an option to buy.

Even through a significant amount of her debts have been cleared, I would assume that she would want to be a much stronger financial position before buying/renting her own place. Secondly when/if that is the situation, bearing in mind that she will be spending much of her time in the US, finding a place there (rather than in the UK) might be her priority.
She may well continue to use Royal Lodge as her UK base until she sees how the next year unfolds for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even through a significant amount of her debts have been cleared, I would assume that she would want to be a much stronger financial position before buying/renting her own place. Secondly when/if that is the situation, bearing in mind that she will be spending much of her time in the US, finding a place there (rather than in the UK) might be her priority.
She may well continue to use Royal Lodge as her UK base until she sees how the next year unfolds for her.

But will she ever be in a stronger finacial position?
This isn't the first time she has run into debt, and I imagine it will not be the last.

And as long as Andrew continues to "stand by her," he will probably end up tarred by the same brush. Besides, these rescue efforts give her no incentive to change.

How many other people who went into debt due to the GFC were also in debt for the first time? Millions actually. Many of them are never out of debt but they aren't the hated Sarah so they can be forgiven but she can't be forgiven for making a bad financial decision just as the world's economy was going into free fall. For that she is to be castigated forever.

Why treat faithful staff like that?

Exactly! While she lives lavishly, her staff goes without and are unpaid. That is selfish and morally wrong. Just as trying to sell access to her ex husband.

Not only that, she is living off her daughter's trust funds, potentially eventually bankrupting them as well.

Will Sarah Ferguson's fall from royal favor be permanent this time?

I don't think any person who serves their country in the military needs to feel guilt about leaving their spouse at home.

Fergie was in debt more than 6 million pounds in the early 90s, there wasn't any world financial crisis then.

Actually there was. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_1990s_recession and http://econ.economicshelp.org/2010/02/uk-economy-in-1990s.html
However she recovered from that crisis and then made a bad financial decision.

I am so pleased that no one on here has ever made a bad decision. It must be wonderful to be perfect.
I am not - I have made bad decisions and I have repeated some mistakes on occasions but I have been forgiven by those I lose and who love me.

But of course Sarah can't be forgiven can she? Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie are wrong to forgive her and love her aren't they?

Forgiven? I neither condone her extravagance nor forgive it and the deep harm she has caused others by not paying them for the services they gave her over the years. Please see link above that shows she fails to pay her employees.

I think Sarah has a hold over Andrew in that if he dares to ignore her excessive demands, she will publish a very nasty book about the Windsors. She has hinted about a book she could write.

The constant plunging into debt isn't healthy for Sarah. I think those who care for her would give her some tough love and hope she get help for any addictions to shopping and other vices she may have.

What huge financial crisis, comparable to the current one, was it that last caused Sarah to be in debt over 6 million in the 90s, please? She said she spent the money because she wanted to feel good about herself and money provided things she thought she was entitled to have.

SARAH FERGUSON FACING BANKRUPTCY WITH DEBTS OF $7M — REPORT | Showbiz Spy - celebrity news, rumors & gossip

I assume you read my links to the 1990s recession. In addtion there were recessions during the 1980s as well.

I find it strange that you, who don't know her, aren't prepared to forgive her for something that she hasn't done to you personally but those who know her best, and who have been directly hurt by her actions are prepared to forgive her.

I don't condone not paying people for work done but that is a different attitude to forgiveness.
It has been reported that she has almost cleared all her debts now - in about 9 months, sure with help but done.

It has little to do with forgiveness for bad business decisions, trying to sell access to her ex husband is however a bigger problem than a bad investment.
The problem is that Sarah has a long history of embaressing the BRF. She just cant keep her mouth shut. It is not as if Andrew has not been more than supportive of his ex wife. He has certainly done more than most men in his position to support an ex-wife who was publically unfaithful to him.
It would be in Sarah's best interest to live a quiet life in the countryside or in another country and stay clear of the press. She needs to understand that she is not a royal and cannot live like a royal. She can live quietly somewhere, write some more books or perhaps get a job as a book editor, and do some volunteer work with local charities.
God willing she would stop giving interviews about life as a royal and also stop tagging along with her daughters at public events which makes it look as if she craves publicity any way she can get it. Sarah your 15 minutes were up along time ago, move on.

You make it sound so simple - however writing books can be hit and miss. What is she supposed to write about??? How is she supposed to sell them - as she will need to do book selling tours etc.

She has no employable skills except her connections to the BRF.

She has two choices - sell herself or live on benefits. I think that would be far more embarrasing for the royal family - to have the mother of the Queen's granddaughters turning up asking for a council house and government handouts, going to charity shops to buy her clothes etc.

I assume you read my links to the 1990s recession. In addtion there were recessions during the 1980s as well.

I find it strange that you, who don't know her, aren't prepared to forgive her for something that she hasn't done to you personally but those who know her best, and who have been directly hurt by her actions are prepared to forgive her.

I don't condone not paying people for work done but that is a different attitude to forgiveness.

It has been reported that she has almost cleared all her debts now - in about 9 months, sure with help but done.

Perhaps you didn't read that I neither forgive nor condone her because she is nothing but another celebrity to me. She has treated Andrew and the girls badly and any woman who treats her family thusly does not get my praise. Selling out the father of your children is wrong. It's not up to me to forgive her or anyone here posting. It's up to her to stop hurting her family by repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

Not since the 1920s has the world been in such dire financial straits. But the economy never had anything to do with Sarah's extreme extravagances. There is no link to a connection of any sort. It's simply undisciplined spending and the irresponsible use of employees time.

You make it sound so simple - however writing books can be hit and miss. What is she supposed to write about??? How is she supposed to sell them - as she will need to do book selling tours etc.

She made millions through her connection to Weight Watchers.
She also made plenty through those Budgie books.
I fail to see why she could not get some sort of job, here in the US if not in Britain.

What I don't like seeing her do is leech off Andrew and her daughters, and hint about writing some expose if and when she feels like it.
He has been tremendously supportive, and she threatens to blackmail him?
When will Sarah ever see fit to take some responsibility for herself?

Aren't we jumping the gun?

Where has it been written that Sarah is threatening to blackmail Andrew. Such a serious charge, I think would need legitimate proof of such a claim.

And a reliable source please that is not the Daily Mail if you please.

Aren't we jumping the gun?

Where has it been written that Sarah is threatening to blackmail Andrew. Such a serious charge, I think would need legitimate proof of such a claim.

And a reliable source please that is not the Daily Mail if you please.

"Blackmail" was my term for the book she has talked about writing on her divorce.
Perhaps it's a harsh term, but it immediately came to my mind.
She's mentioned writing such a book on several occasions, but perhaps not seriously, who can say? So far she hasn't written it and perhaps doesn't really intend to.

(I read about this in an article in New York Magazine).

You say she has publicly mentioned writing such a book, when and where?

She has already written My Story, are you speaking of another book about her time with the BRF? As a tell all?

She has two choices - sell herself or live on benefits. I think that would be far more embarrasing for the royal family - to have the mother of the Queen's granddaughters turning up asking for a council house and government handouts, going to charity shops to buy her clothes etc.
Well before her marriage she had some success in PR and in book editing. After her marriage she wrote several childrens books as well as biographies. Seems as if she could continue along that line, even doing book tours but sticking to the topic of the books and not commenting on the BRF. Seems as if she could make enough to support at least a modest lifestyle. The problem seems to be that Sarah does not want a modest lifestyle, she likes public attention and the "big life" that she cannot afford. Sarah needs to live like Sarah Ferguson and not like the Duchess of York.

If all else fails maybe she can find some rich American to marry her:).

She has been selling herself for a long time, but please stop selling the BRF and her ex husband.

Yes, thank you, Mirabel, I heard her speak of it on Larry King Live, something like ' it would be an inside look at our, the York, divorce and my experiences with the Firm.' Then again, I read some where that she had been encouraged to sign an agreement to never write a book about Andrew, her daughters and the House of Windsor. Don't know if she signed anything but she could get such a book printed in the United States and elsewhere even had she done so. So called royal exposes sell very well. Like the Kitty Kelley book, when Kitty was never an insider or married to a member of the family.

She has already written My Story, are you speaking of another book about her time with the BRF? As a tell all?

That's right.
In New York Mag, she said she wants to write more books, and ought to write a book on the divorce (but to be fair, she may have been joking).

Then this was all rehashed on SuperSpy.com, but I honestly can't claim that as a reputable source. :lol:

Well Bertie, it IS simple for Sarah. I just put in my browser: Books by Sarah Ferguson, and voila! A whole list popped up by the Duchess of York. SO yes, it WAS simple for her. And that avenue she can obviously still use to her advantage.
Amazon.com: Sarah Ferguson: Books

I count at least 19 titles.

Perhaps you didn't read that I neither forgive nor condone her because she is nothing but another celebrity to me. She has treated Andrew and the girls badly and any woman who treats her family thusly does not get my praise. Selling out the father of your children is wrong. It's not up to me to forgive her or anyone here posting. It's up to her to stop hurting her family by repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

Not since the 1920s has the world been in such dire financial straits. But the economy never had anything to do with Sarah's extreme extravagances. There is no link to a connection of any sort. It's simply undisciplined spending and the irresponsible use of employees time.

I don't understand what she has done to you that you have to forgive her. If you are an employee who hasn't been paid - fair enough but otherwise I don't understand what she has done that requires your forgiveness.

I take the view that as her family have forgiven her then who are we, who weren't directly harmed by her, not to do the same.

Bad economic times do impact on the spending habits of people, particularly those with precarious forms of income - as in those times credit is harder to get and thus if people overspend their debts mount and they can't get out. It happens to millions of people during all economic downturns and Sarah has been caught twice - the 90s downturn and again this one.

Some of us survive with no real effect from them but others suffer badly every time and some it is hit or miss. Sarah has been hit with both of them.

I don't understand what she has done to you that you have to forgive her.Bad economic times do impact on the spending habits of people, particularly those with precarious forms of income - as in those times credit is harder to get and thus if people overspend their debts mount and they can't get out. It happens to millions of people during all economic downturns and Sarah has been caught twice - the 90s downturn and again this one.

Some of us survive with no real effect from them but others suffer badly every time and some it is hit or miss. Sarah has been hit with both of them.

That's exactly what I said, you keep insisting that we on this forum need to forgive her when it's not to do with us at all and I don't honestly know where anyone gave the impression that SF was sorry, much less that she should be forgiven, Again, the world economic status had nothing to do with her continuing inroads into catastrophic debt.

Neither am I convinced that her family have forgiven her when instead of showing remorse, she has complained about not being able to take more lavish hols and in fact, though not paying staff, did travel to extravagant venues quite recently. That's what has resulted in this story with Miss Winfrey chiding her for not taking responsibility and wanting her to enter therapy. It's not about about making mistakes. It's about abusing resources and failing to meet commiments to others out of selfishness.
She spent the wages entitled to her employees on exotic trips etc.

Duchess of York tells Oprah 'I'm on brink of bankruptcy' | News

If I were British, I know I wouldn't be pleased about the RF having to bail out this woman yet again.
When all is said and done, they are funded by the taxpayers, and I'm surprised there isn't more outrage about her constantly grasping for more money.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to vilify her in the manner of Forbes mag., but I wouldn't just dismiss the whole thing either.
It's true the economy is not doing well, but when you read about Sarah spending four thousand pounds in a single day on hair accessories, all while she's millions in debt, then it is very hard to dredge up sympathy for her.

Where did you read that Sarah spent 4K a month on hair accessories?

Where did you read that Sarah spent 4K a month on hair accessories?

I read it in the May 30, 2010 ShowbizSpy.com.

And it wasn't 4K a month, it was 4K a day!

I read it in the May 30, 2010 ShowbizSpy.com.

And it wasn't 4K a month, it was 4K a day!

I mean this in the nicest way, but you shouldn't believe every thing you read from Showbiz Spy. Especially since they are just basically repeating stories (i.e. not doing any type of background check) to see if ALL the stories are true.

Where on earth and why would Sarah spend 4K on hair accessories. It makes no sense.

I mean this in the nicest way, but you shouldn't believe every thing you read from Showbiz Spy. Especially since they are just basically repeating stories (i.e. not doing any type of background check) to see if ALL the stories are true.

Where on earth and why would Sarah spend 4K on hair accessories. It makes no sense.

True, but somehow I have no trouble believing it about Sarah! :D

True, but somehow I have no trouble believing it about Sarah! :D

It sounds as if you don't care for Sarah and that is certainly your right. But disliking someone doesn't mean that one should lose objectivity IMO. There are plenty of people that I don't particularly care for but I can acknolwedge when they do something right or have a talent. I don't believe everything negative about them.

Sarah has done some questionable things but I don't believe everything negative that is written about her in the papers.

That's exactly what I said, you keep insisting that we on this forum need to forgive her when it's not to do with us at all and I don't honestly know where anyone gave the impression that SF was sorry, much less that she should be forgiven, Again, the world economic status had nothing to do with her continuing inroads into catastrophic debt.

I did see that we have to forgive her at all - as she hasn't done anything to us she doesn't need our forgiveness which is why I wonder why you think she needs our forgiveness (or at least yours)

Neither am I convinced that her family have forgiven her when instead of showing remorse, she has complained about not being able to take more lavish hols and in fact, though not paying staff, did travel to extravagant venues quite recently. That's what has resulted in this story with Miss Winfrey chiding her for not taking responsibility and wanting her to enter therapy. It's not about about making mistakes. It's about abusing resources and failing to meet commiments to others out of selfishness.

So what would her family have to do to say that they have forgiven her - make a public statement - well joining her on holidays and having her live in the home are pretty clear statements to me that they have forgiven her - if Andrew hadn't surely he would have kicked her out of the house?

She spent the wages entitled to her employees on exotic trips etc.

She went on exotic trips although many of them have been paid for by others - of course she should have paid her staff - I am not condoning her actions but see no reason for any of us to forgive her as she hasn't harmed us.

I would have been best, in many ways, for her to go into bankruptcy - all her debts wiped out in one go - sure limits to future positions but she could live with that - but her debtors would get virtually nothing as she has no assets as such - not even the home she was promised when she divorced (I wonder if she was able to find a suitable home now whether that part of the divorce settlement would be honoured).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom