Options for Sarah to recover from the 'Cash for Access' scandal

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She should get out of the limelight, start a decent job, be a secretary or do some other nice but quiet job and continue to support and love her daughters. I can't understand why Sarah still tries to get hold of a once glorious past, she herself destroyed. She is no more a public person anymore since her divorce.

Intensive psychiatric Treatment ?with psychtropic drugs? aversion therapy- electroshock - oh get a grip- and going to the Antartactic just to make your day-and be out of sight-Most not going to happen post ever Lastly- to quote Hamlet- Get thee to a nunnery wouldst thou be a breeder of sinners?When are you going to suggest a lobotomy?It is too silly.

Well, actually, those are excellent magnifications of my suggestions. *I* certainly didn't take it that far, but Jaya, I believe you have a firm grip on what is needed.

The possible exception would be the Antarctic. I did research there back in the 1980's and it's a rather delicate and endangered area. Sure, the cold would keep the champagne chilled for her, but didn't you just agree that she should get off the sauce?

I don't remember suggesting a lobotomy, but you seem much more in tune with her needs, so I'll go along with that. Sure.

I don't understand how this post relates to the post above it, which is mine.

Of course you don´t, it wasn´t directed to you, it was to a previous poster but you are so quick off the mark that sometimes you don´t seem to realise that there are other people on the thread.
As to to peddling influences look this up:- Influence peddling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
but whatever it is, there wouldn´t have been such a fuss made about it if it was considered ethical for the ex wife of a member of the royal family to ask for money to introduce someone to him. Actually it was a great deal of money and considering his position as representing UK it is possible to think that no one would pay that much money to be invited to royal lodge for tea. She put her very kind ex husband in a very embarassing position, and I hope that you can see that.

Well, actually, those are excellent magnifications of my suggestions. *I* certainly didn't take it that far, but Jaya, I believe you have a firm grip on what is needed.

The possible exception would be the Antarctic. I did research there back in the 1980's and it's a rather delicate and endangered area. Sure, the cold would keep the champagne chilled for her, but didn't you just agree that she should get off the sauce?

I don't remember suggesting a lobotomy, but you seem much more in tune with her needs, so I'll go along with that. Sure.
Was it Buddha that said be careful what you wish on others?

I know she's wriggled out of trouble in the past but I just don't see her ever getting over this one. Many people gave her the benefit of the doubt in the past because she was young and seemed to be under a lot of pressure and she claimed to have learned from her mistakes. This however was her as a woman of 50, not just indulging in some affair, but calculatingly setting up a meeting where she aimed to gain vast sums of money for access to her ex-husband. The Royal Family recoil from situations where people make money out of them never mind the fact that some of this was possibly highly illegal or that she was also suggesting that Prince Andrew was involved in her dealings. Only he and she will know for sure if he was or wasn't but the RF cannot be seen to have anything to do with anyone involved in this sort of thing as it raises questions over their own integrity. I think there is barely anything she could have done worse in their eyes so I see no way back for her.

I think that it is an insult to associate Jackie Kennedy Onassis and Sarah in any way. Maybe if Jackie were still alive she could teach Sarah how to act like a proper lady although at this point I think the opportunity for Sarah to act proper is a ship which sailed many many years ago. I think that for the sake of her daughters and any further embarassment to the Queen, Sarah just needs to live a simpler life more out of the public eye.

I was in no way insulting J. Onassis. Both she and Sarah worked in publishing houses and Sarah could take on book editing as Jackie did at Doubleday. That would be the simpler life out of the public eye as you suggested in your post. Please don't accuse me of insulting Jackie Onassis.

I hate to say it but I doubt a talk show with Sarah as host would last past the first season. Talk shows here come and go like night and day and those that last have the something special. I have seen her co-host The View and I've seen her on the Today Show and though she does ok I don't think her ratings would stand a chance to Oprah, Ellen, The View, Tyra, or Dr. Phil and if you can't compete with those programs then your out.

Oh, absolutely. Even a reasonably popular talk show by Sarah probably wouldn`t last long, and this is coming from me, who thinks Sarah actually has the abilities to be a good talk show host.

The problem is that Sarah just didn`t plan for the future at all. She didn`t anticipate a time when the money would stop rolling in, and to be fair, she didn`t plan for the economic crash (not many people did). People do forget, in all of this, that her debts aren`t just due to overspending--she seemed to be doing okay until Hartmoor went bankrupt and then the Handmade Films deal fell through.

The big problem is that Sarah, ever since her divorce, has been able to keep the wealth and connections of a royal by trading in on her ex-royal status and her fame. As a result, she never really experienced the consequences of being divorced from a royal. She never gained any work skills. People can say she should go away to the country and keep a garden and cook, but does Sarah even have those skills? I read an interview with her once where she said she couldn`t cook to save her life. Plus, the wife of a wealthy landowner could live in the country and keep a garden, but Sarah has no money to even buy a cottage. Unless of course the royal family supports her in some way, and that means they have the right to tell Sarah what she can or cannot do--but it also means that the RF opens themselves up to accusations of funding Sarah with taxpayer money. This isn`t a situation I think Sarah or the RF really want.

It`s a very awkward situation. Sarah could go looking for work as an ordinary citizen, but who is going to hire an almost-51 year-old with few work skills, plus Sarah`s notoriety? If Kate Middleton can`t work because of press attention or the fear that the company will be accused of using her for publicity, how can Sarah?

And, as Iluvbertie says, Sarah is still the mother of two princesses. Even with what everyone knows about Sarah`s mistakes, it still makes the royal family look miserly if Sarah is living in low-income housing or on social assistance. Because the fact is, the royals don`t work "ordinary" jobs either (however hard we all know most of them work), yet they have immense wealth and privilege.

Sarahs' unlikely to take any of suggestions of anyone who says to do anything different than what she wants to do. That's resonant of a particular personality disorder.

And she seems to rather enjoy her life the way it is, dirty degraded and humiliating as it has been and is again.

I would ask, as did another poster, that she stop the revolting blame-game of "mommy gone!" because frankly, if she hasn't gotten the help that she needs to deal with that, then there is something about her issues that she rolls around in and enjoys.

And please, no more suggestions about dumping her on the US. There is an F Scott Fitzgerald quote ""There are no second acts in American lives." We don't have an endless tolerance for our own drunken losers, let along the refuse of the former Empire.

Perhaps one of the colonies/Commonwealths would be a better place for her renewal options: Canada, New Zealand, Australia. The Kiwis produced the estimable Crown Princess Mary of Denmark; perhaps they might perform some Cinderella magic and turn this sow's ear into a....nylon purse. (I think too much has happened to hope for silk.)

And please, no more suggestions about dumping her on the US. There is an F Scott Fitzgerald quote ""There are no second acts in American lives." We don't have an endless tolerance for our own drunken losers, let along the refuse of the former Empire.

Yes! I`m reading an F. Scott Fitzgerald book right now, interestingly enough. I agree that Americans aren`t nearly so forgiving as Sarah probably thinks they are. Americans are fascinated by royalty, I think, precisely because they don`t have royalty of their own. Americans aren`t any more impressed than the British by entitled elites, or by people who keep digging themselves back into debt.

Perhaps one of the colonies/Commonwealths would be a better place for her renewal options: Canada, New Zealand, Australia. The Kiwis produced the estimable Crown Princess Mary of Denmark; perhaps they might perform some Cinderella magic and turn this sow's ear into a....nylon purse. (I think too much has happened to hope for silk.)

Actually Sarah is quite allergic to nylon. :) I'm in the process of reading "My Story" her autobiography with Jeff Gordon. I hadn't realized how much of a country girl with a love of horses she was in her childhood. She really seemed to have a way with horses and perhaps that would make her happy to maybe somehow be involved with children and horses somewhere?

Actually Sarah is quite allergic to nylon. :) I'm in the process of reading "My Story" her autobiography with Jeff Gordon. I hadn't realized how much of a country girl with a love of horses she was in her childhood. She really seemed to have a way with horses and perhaps that would make her happy to maybe somehow be involved with children and horses somewhere?

Caution, please in reading that, my friend. Remember that it's only her version and the Royal family would never stoop to openly refute her claims.

As for loving the country - honestly, I don't think I've seen a picture of Sarah *in* the country in over a decade. She seems very....citified, very much a creature of nightlife and glitz. I can't find a link to it now, but I remember very clearly a picture of Sarah at a country shooting party from the 1980's. The picture is a standard shooting party, everyone in country shooting clothes ready to go out: lots of tweeds and wools and sensible shoes. Except Sarah, who seems to have stumbled into the picture directly from whatever bar she had been partying in: disheveled, still wearing a satin-y gown and heels, lurching sideways in the back.

The country might actually *be* just the place for her, though, osipi, if her words were the truth. It would be a perfect solution: quiet, out of the way and with some dignity to it. Perhaps she could belatedly live up to her outline of her love for the country life in this next phase.

Sarah has worked for the UN on issues before hasn't she? Maybe a role as an ambassador of some kind would be the thing for her. She would travel (as she apparently loves to do), but for the right reasons. She seems to be a people person as well and since she loves her "Duchess of York" , why not use it make a difference. She seems to work well in these types of roles and think it would keep her out of trouble and keep her focused.

Sarah has worked for the UN on issues before hasn't she? Maybe a role as an ambassador of some kind would be the thing for her. She would travel (as she apparently loves to do), but for the right reasons. She seems to be a people person as well and since she loves her "Duchess of York" , why not use it make a difference. She seems to work well in these types of roles and think it would keep her out of trouble and keep her focused.

free - it's a "before and after" situation with the UN, I would think. "Before" she tried to sell access to Andrew in his role as British trade ambassador, then yes, that might have been possible. Now? She's actually *proven* that she will use such a position inappropriately. I think she's too tarnished for that.

Caution, please in reading that, my friend. Remember that it's only her version and the Royal family would never stoop to openly refute her claims.

That's a given. The Royal family actually abhors anything published in pertaining to their private lives. I think it was in Brandreth's "Elizabeth and Philip: Portrait of a Marriage where it was stated "less said, sooner mended". Excellent book too I think. :whistling:

As for loving the country - honestly, I don't think I've seen a picture of Sarah *in* the country in over a decade. She seems very....citified, very much a creature of nightlife and glitz. I can't find a link to it now, but I remember very clearly a picture of Sarah at a country shooting party from the 1980's. The picture is a standard shooting party, everyone in country shooting clothes ready to go out: lots of tweeds and wools and sensible shoes. Except Sarah, who seems to have stumbled into the picture directly from whatever bar she had been partying in: disheveled, still wearing a satin-y gown and heels, lurching sideways in the back.

I've only read a short ways into the book so far but just had to comment on her memories of her early days with her ponies and feeling so free when she was riding. She definitely needs to be involved in something she'd have an attachment for. Something that would give her a cocoon of peace with herself.

The country might actually *be* just the place for her, though, osipi, if her words were the truth. It would be a perfect solution: quiet, out of the way and with some dignity to it. Perhaps she could belatedly live up to her outline of her love for the country life in this next phase.

Right now I think Sarah is pretty confused about who she is let alone what she wants to do with the rest of her life. I think its going to be a long hard process for her to come to grips with where she is now and where she is going to go. There's no magic wand or spell that will transform her into who she would like to be... she is going to have to work at it herself. Right now I think the more friends and family "do" for Sarah, the more they are going to keep her from her own self realizations. There's a whole world of difference between being "supportive" and being an enabler.

Of course you don´t, it wasn´t directed to you, it was to a previous poster but you are so quick off the mark that sometimes you don´t seem to realise that there are other people on the thread.
As to to peddling influences look this up:- Influence peddling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
but whatever it is, there wouldn´t have been such a fuss made about it if it was considered ethical for the ex wife of a member of the royal family to ask for money to introduce someone to him. Actually it was a great deal of money and considering his position as representing UK it is possible to think that no one would pay that much money to be invited to royal lodge for tea. She put her very kind ex husband in a very embarassing position, and I hope that you can see that.

However the :previous: in your posts does refer to the post above yours but your post didn't refer to mine.

That is why I don't use that emoticon as what happened can happen - I was posting and you were replying to another post at about the same time and thus your post appears to refer to mine but it doesn't. As we also started a new page it made even less sense. I do realise that there are other people on the thread which is why I don't use that emoticon.

I never said her actions were ethical but that they were legal. You were the one who said they were illegal not unethical.

Even the link you posted says that it isn't illegal. In fact, influence peddling is not necessarily illegal as OECD has often used the term "undue influence peddling" as to refer to illegal acts of lobbying. [1]

Unethical yes but illegal no.

Bertie it says it in the quote that it is "not necessarily illegal". Not necessarily is not the same as not, what it means is that it depends on the situation. That article is very short and it gives two exmaples of people being taken to court.

If some guy with some small connection to Andrews office said, "Hey give me some money I'll get you in." You can be damn sure that the royals would've come out guns blazing. Sarah? Not so much.

Sarahs' unlikely to take any of suggestions of anyone who says to do anything different than what she wants to do. That's resonant of a particular personality disorder.

And she seems to rather enjoy her life the way it is, dirty degraded and humiliating as it has been and is again.

I would ask, as did another poster, that she stop the revolting blame-game of "mommy gone!" because frankly, if she hasn't gotten the help that she needs to deal with that, then there is something about her issues that she rolls around in and enjoys.

Please note - Mary of Denmark was not a Kiwi but an Aussie.

She grew up in Tasmania, which is one of the states of Australia. Kiwis are not Aussies (although at the moment we would have a better Rugby team if they were after last night's thumping in the Bledisloe Cup but we'll get them next time - oh look the pigs are flying again.:D

Whilst agreeing that Sarah has been somewhat stupid in her choices and behaviour over the years, I'm not one to dismiss anyone on the basis of spurious tabloid journalism.

As for not working, I clearly recall that once before she worked very hard to clear herself of all debt. No doubt, she can do it again, with appropriate encouragement and opportunities.

I remember the relentless attacks on her when, as young woman, she became Duchess of York. They were shaming and ugly. Sarah rose above them, however.

She also has personal qualities which seem to be discounted today, viz., loyalty. She stoically stood by her father when he was in trouble despite the Palace's hide-bound courtiers, she supported her mother through the most trying of times which culminated in her mother's death, she is much loved by her children and obviously valued by her ex-husband. And what are we to make of the many friends who continually try to assist her? Doesn't all of this suggest a woman who's worthy of some basic respect?

I met Sarah, once. She was a thoroughly pleasant, unpretentious, happy and delightful woman. She may not be a candidate for 'Brain of Britain', but it's not edifying to read continuing stories about her when she's been deliberately set-up for a scam by those who search for a scandal at any cost.

I repeat what I said elsewhere - any problem which I have with Sarah is nothing compared to my utter contempt for an under-cover journalist who entrapped a drunken woman into a scurrilous 'exposure'. From memory, the same journalist did the same to Sophie, Countess of Wessex, but she's remained within the family and thus escaped these on-going constrictions on her character and ethics.

Oh for God's sake she was not drunk. Yes, she's a nice woman, but that's not the case here. Let us not make excuses for her behavior. She agreed to this meeting knowing what it was about while sober, talked about things through lunch while sober even if she was drunk when the actual money exchange happen she was completely lucid for everything leading up to that.

It's a complete farce to defend her on such grounds. She knew what she was getting into, she didn't bother to stop when the money man refused to sign confidentiality papers, desperation led to a desperate act but let us not lessen the blame by bringing that up. She chose to drink, just as she chose to betray her ex-husbands trust.

In reply to Polly's comments about the "under-cover journalist who entrapped a drunken woman" - why would he go to all the trouble and expense to entrap her, unless he knew for a fact that she was going to accept his offer. I don't believe that this was the first time that she tried to sell access to PA, it was just the first time that she was caught!

I've always wondered if the Mail wasn't contacted by some other "clients" of Sarah's who may have paid money to her to meet Andrew and the deal never happened. I'm sorry it was the News of the World, my mistake. The person or persons were left holding the bag and so contacted NOTW. How else would the reporter know how to set up his sting?
She appeared to me on the video to have had some wine, but she was aware enough to know how to hammer out the details of the deal even down to the wire transfer of funds. Sarah's trying to blame alcohol for her slip up, but the video doesn't prove it.

Its my understanding that the undercover reporter posing as a sheik was a reporter for NotW directly. And perhaps not the same reporter (?) but it was also the same setup that went after The Countess of Wessex.

Sarah, herself, in her Oprah interview said she was drunk at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reporter was the same one that did the stings on both The Countess of Wessex and Princess Michael of Kent.

Well, some 'believe' that Sarah's entirely culpable. Fair enough. However, it's not my opinion.

I believe that we'd all be surprised by the numbers and ranks of those who have great sympathy for Sarah, despite not condoning or forgetting her lapses in judgement.

However, it's incontestible that the reporter was indeed the same one who entrapped Countess Sophie, and she wasn't drunk! I recall the great brouhaha at time and poor Sophie's comment:

"I am deeply distressed by the carrying out of an entrapment operation on me and my business, but I also much regret my own misjudgment in succumbing to that subterfuge."

Of particular note in both of these instances is the forbearance and understanding of the Queen. Her obvious tolerance of human foibles always seems to be at odds with that of the stuffiest of her courtiers and hangers-on.

In sum, I'm never happy with attacks on the persons of royalty or their relatives when they're based entirely on the claims of the gutter press. And to those who question why any journalist would set up Sarah, the answer is patently clear - money, m'dears, money! Such stories sell for indecent amounts of payola

The reporter was the same one that did the stings on both The Countess of Wessex and Princess Michael of Kent.

Thought so. Ahh.. what would I do without ya Bertie?

Well, some 'believe' that Sarah's entirely culpable. Fair enough. However, it's not my opinion.

I believe that we'd all be surprised by the numbers and ranks of those who have great sympathy for Sarah, despite not condoning or forgetting her lapses in judgement.

She was set up.. she was trapped and vulnerable and trusting..just like the other 2 stings before that. There speaks the truth of the matter. Although there is one person out there that does "mooohahhaha" all the way to the bank.. that person is Murdoch. He scored a hat trick!

However, it's incontestible that the reporter was indeed the same one who entrapped Countess Sophie, and she wasn't drunk! I recall the great brouhaha at time and poor Sophie's comment:

"I am deeply distressed by the carrying out of an entrapment operation on me and my business, but I also much regret my own misjudgment in succumbing to that subterfuge."

Of particular note in both of these instances is the forbearance and understanding of the Queen. Her obvious tolerance of human foibles always seems to be at odds with that of the stuffiest of her courtiers and hangers-on.

I watched the Oprah interview. Actually probably the second time in her 25 year career I've watched her show. Talk shows just don't appeal to me as entertainment (also.. I am a person that loves comedy... I'll turn on Jerry Springer.. turn off the closed captioning and pretend they're the three stooges). Sarah admitted to Oprah she'd never seen the video of what happened and they watched it together. Referrring to herself, she talked in the 3rd person.. not "I was not thinking" (an example) but "she wasn't thinking"). She admitted to being drunk in the video on national US TV and I imagine shown around the world. Also that the large sum of money she asked for (can't remember correctly offhand the amount) was at the spur of the moment.

Sophie, still being married into the BRF, released a statement. She was the one that acted correctly and it was said.. the matter was dropped. Sarah, on the other hand, did say on Oprah that she's not be saying what she was without a full go ahead by her ex husband. Both of these women highly admire the Queen but show it in different ways.

In sum, I'm never happy with attacks on the persons of royalty or their relatives when they're based entirely on the claims of the gutter press. And to those who question why any journalist would set up Sarah, the answer is patently clear - money, m'dears, money! Such stories sell for indecent amounts of payola

I agree. This is the difference between being a celebrity and royalty. Celebrities know that once they are out of the public eye and press. their star starts to dim. With the royal lineage of the BRF, they prefer NOT to be classed as stars but rather to be known not as a persona themselves but to be viewed as an institution that strives to protect and serve their people.

Its being debated whether or not the Panorama interview was a brave move on Diana's part or a total folly in another thread here on the forums. I think the whole wars of the Wales cracked an opening to "anything goes" to the press. Royals are treated like the rising and dimming stars of the day... whatever dirt on them you can find.. sells. What a pity.

Sarah Ferguson's £6k debt to Queen - for stamps | Mail Online

The Duchess of York was facing fresh embarrassment today after running up a bill of £6,500 using the Queen’s special mail service.
The cash-strapped Duchess, 50, used the service to send out signed photographs and gifts to friends at home and abroad - and was warned she might be barred from using it further unless her debt was cleared.

This particular leopard certainly can´t change her spots. Never mind, when things get bad or awkward, there is only one thing to do, go for a luxury holiday and leave others to work something out. I am sure she is a very loveable person but seems to be completely irresponsible. Let us hope that her two daughters are gifted with more common sense.

They've had the tuition of the greatest and wisest grandmother, I think they are going to work out just fine. But i agree, this leopard is never going to change her spots, and one day The Queen is going to be around to bail her out.

Except Sarah is the run around as Desi was.
Except Lucy and Desi actually were a good team and worked together well. Excpet Lucy went on to have a successful career w/o Desi who went on to make appearances on SNL. . . .:whistling:

The mistake I think here is that this is in reference to the personas portrayed as Lucille Magilicuddy (sp) and her husband Ricky Ricardo,, in the widely popular TV series.
She was the original redheaded dizbat with 'splainin to do. To this day I think my favorite episode is when they do a takeoff of Brigadoon.

Most don't know that Lucille Ball was a blonde bombshell in movies before she hooked up. married and became partners with Desi Arnaz. Damn.. she had gorgeous legs! She was the brains behind Desilu which produced a lot of shows even after they were divorced. They did work together as a team well. Yes Desi had a taste of the drink too much and eye for the women also... Simply.. Author of the candid autobiography 'A Book', detailing his alcoholism and infidelities. He had planned to write a sequel, called 'Another Book'.

Desi Arnaz - Biography

I think though that the original thought was to compare Sarah to Lucy and Ricky.. not Lucy and Desi. :whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom