Names and Godparents for Eugenie and Jack's First child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somebody

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
BC
Country
Canada
I didn't see a topic for guesses but feel free to move it to the correct topic if I somehow overlooked it.

My first guesses on the names:

Their own full names: Jack Christopher Stamp & Eugenie Victoria Helena

So, I am going for 3 traditional family names

Daughter: Victoria* (OR: Cecilia) Sarah Nicola**
* If the name 'Victoria' has been the name Beatrice wanted to use for a daughter from early on I think Eugenie wouldn't use it. In that case Cecilia might be a nice alternative: the queen's maternal grandmother was called Cecilia and Jack's paternal grandmother is called Celia, so nod to both families.
** Sarah and Nicola after both grandmothers.

Son: Nicholas* Edward** Thomas***
* After grandmother Nicola; a traditional male name that can be found once in a while in both families.
** Edward is one of the middle names of both grandfathers.
*** After Thomas Coke, 2nd Earl of Leicester, their most recent common ancestor (and a nod to Jack's brother).

Elizabeth Sarah Nicola Beatrice
Thomas George Philip Andrew

Elizabeth Sarah Nicola Beatrice
Thomas George Philip Andrew

I was wondering whether they would want to avoid the name Andrew - so picked the shared name 'Edward' instead.

Also had Thomas as first name at first but given that Jack's brother is called Thomas I hope they use it as a middle name instead of first name.

However, I must say that you are very consistent by including for both daughter and son:
- the sibling
- both parents
- the royal grandparent
OF the baby's parents.

I think it'd be wise to avoid Andrew as a name choice. I can imagine they will go down the same Victorian route that Eugenie's parents went down with hers and Beatrice's names. Some ideas:

Alice Helena Elizabeth
Victoria Mary Adelaide
Frances Louisa Caroline

Thomas Philip George
Albert Edward Louis
Henry Ronald William

I wonder if they will also use Stamp somewhere in a boy's name, as Jack has it included in his.

Boy:
Richard William Philip Andrew

Girl:
Elizabeth Sarah Alexandra Mary

This one is fun to guess because I really think it'll be a traditional name :flowers:

My suggestions:
Helena Elizabeth Sarah
Eleanor Elizabeth Sarah
Cecilia Elizabeth Sarah
Rose Elizabeth Sarah
Margaret Elizabeth Nicola (Margaret being Sarah's middle name)

Alexander Philip George
Nicholas Philip George
Arthur Philip George
Albert Philip George
John Philip George

For godparents for the Brooksbank baby,

Lord Frederick Windsor (Maud Windsor is Princess Eugenie's goddaughter)
Flora Ogilvy or Alexander Ogilvy (James Ogilvy is Princess Eugenie's godfather)
The Duke of Cambridge, The Duke of Sussex, Peter Phillips or Zara Tindall (Eugenie's paternal first cousins, who are adults)
The Earl of Wessex (Eugenie's uncle, The York sisters appears to be close to the Wessexes)

I can only think of family members from Eugenie's paternal side. I do not know much about Jack's family or Sarah's family. These guesses could be a bit "out there" :lol:

Godparents I think we will see an equal balance for the couple. I think likely some family and some friends from both sides. I don't know if they will go the large 4-5 since they are private citizens.

But names I could see as godparents:

(not sure they will go the sibling route, but they both seem close to their siblings so possibly Beatrice and Thomas Brooksbank. If they choose not to:)

-Prince Harry: her closest cousin. Harry has holidayed and spent a lot of time with the Yorks. Eugenie is one of the first to meet Meghan and they are said to have gone on double dates.

-Charles Brooksbank: Jack's first cousin. He did one of the readings at their wedding. (Jack also has cousins Scott and Anna, and second cousins Thomas and Victoria who were at the wedding)

-Frederick Windsor or his wife: since she serves for Maude as godmother

-Robbie Williams: he is a long time friend of the Yorks, and been said to be like a big brother to the girls. His daughter was a bridesmaid.

-Olivier or Zoe Givenchy: friends of the couple. Son was in the wedding

-Julia de Boinville: friend of Eugenie and co-founder of the anti-slavery initiative Eugenie helped found

-Ellie Goulding: another good friend of Eugenie, often seen on dates with the couple

As for names. I agree on the traditional names route most people guess. I also think, like godparents, the names will be a blend of both families. I don't see them going the Cambridge route, and choosing all royal names.

Since they both have 3 names I think we will see 3. I don't see Andrew but maybe one of his middle names. I am hoping we finally get Philip if a boy.

boy:

Philip George Christian- DOE, Jack's dad, Andrew's middle name
Hugh Albert Stamp- all middle Hugh for George, Albert for Andrew, Stamp for Jack
Philip Michael Ronald-Eugenie's two grandfathers, and Jack's maternal grandfather
John Philip Edward- Sir John Coke was George's grandfather (went by Jack and likely who Jack was named for). DOE. Edward for George/Andrew
Nicholas Edward Thomas- Nicola (but also a Brooksbank name) Edward for both dads, Thomas for his brother and their common ancestor as well

girl:
Elizabeth Sarah Nicola- queen, their two moms
Helena Joanna Margaret- middle names of Eugenie and their moms
Alice Georgina Elizabeth- Alice for Philip's mom, Georgina for wife of Thomas Coke , Elizabeth for the queen
Celia Mary Susan: Jack's paternal grandmother, Mary as the middle name of both the queen and Beatrice, Susan for Sarah's mother

Last edited:
I don’t think Harry or Freddie Windsor will be godparents. I wouldn’t be surprised if the closest “royal” as a godparent we get is Peter or Zara.

I think they can pull off Andrew as a second name is the baby boy is named after Jack’s father

I don’t think Harry or Freddie Windsor will be godparents. I wouldn’t be surprised if the closest “royal” as a godparent we get is Peter or Zara.

I think they can pull off Andrew as a second name is the baby boy is named after Jack’s father

The York girls have never been seen as that close to Peter or Zara. Likely the age difference.

I didn't choose Harry because he is 'royal' but because how close they are. Freddie for the reason they are close enough he chose her as godmother.

I would love to see Lady Louise as a godmother!!

I think Louise is likely a bit young. She is only turning 17 this year. If you choose someone under 18 you are meant to discus it with the vicar first. Usually someone a bit older is chosen (though there are some young exceptions with continental godparents).

I didn't choose Harry because he is 'royal' but because how close they are.

I know they were close before but thought that was a thing of the past.
I haven't heard they spent any time together since before Archie was born.

I know they were close before but thought that was a thing of the past.
I haven't heard they spent any time together since before Archie was born.

Relationships, at least hanging out, tend to change when you marry and have kids. Doesn't erase how close they were for years. He was close to the entire York family, so much so he invited Fergie to his wedding. There is no evidence she has ever been that close to Anne's kids. And while Louise and James were part of her wedding that was more because they get grouped in with the next generation instead of their cousins.

It is telling that she was one of the first to know about Meghan. And went on double dates with them in the secret phase. They are also said to have vacationed in Italy together at Clooney's home on Lake Como. He borrowed her home for his video with Ed Shereen instead of using Nott or the office.

He may not be chosen. But as far as if she chooses a cousin to a godparent, he is the strongest candidate.

Jasper for a boy and Cecily for a girl!

Whatever names they choose, I hope they go for traditional rather than trendy.

The first thing i think we can forget is any traditional royal names...

This generation is (rightfully) not bound by naming the children after the grandparents.....unless you are danish and has to be baptized Christian or Frederik ?

The York girls have never been seen as that close to Peter or Zara. Likely the age difference.

I didn't choose Harry because he is 'royal' but because how close they are. Freddie for the reason they are close enough he chose her as godmother.

And yet, Eugenie gave the reading at Peter's wedding. So it's hard to dismiss them being close just because of an age gap.

I think Eugenie will have a cousin as godparent, but I don't think Harry is a done deal. Remember that Eugenie wasn't chosen as one of Archie's godmothers. And that Harry and Meghan didn't stay for Eugenie's evening wedding reception.

That being said, Eugenie has probably the largest social network out of all the Queen's grandkids so she has so many choices to pick from. Cressida is also a strong option.

They aren't bound by the same 20 names in the same ways William and Kate were and I'm not going to hazard any guesses but it wouldn't surprise me if it's fairly traditional.

The Brooksbanks don't seem to have thrown up any "Savannahs" (which is a lovely name don't get me wrong) and they went traditional with the wedding service. Old fashioned names or old fashioned with a twist are quite popular at the moment. Names like Maud who is Eugenie's goddaughter are coming back and that has British ancient BRF links, albeit not very often.

As someone with cousins the same age as me and a cousin who is closer in age to my mother his aunt than me I can say for certain it doesn't *necessarily* dictate which ones you're closest to or get on best with.

I like the name Maximilian Max for short Andrew Philip . For a girl Mary Astrid Elisabeth. For a godparent Prince Ernst August of Hanover Beatrice and Kate.

I think they’ll go for traditional names.

Girl:
Alice (or Alicia) Margaret Sophie
Nicole Alexandra Louise
Victoria Amelie Sarah
Jacqueline (in honour of Jack) Elizabeth

Boy:
Philip Christopher David
James Edward Anthony
Daniel Nicholas Peter

As for godparents - I think Beatrice or maybe Edo will be a godparent for sure. I also expect some common friends of Jack and Eugenie. Someone from Jacks side of the family.

I would also love that. I guess she is a bit young but how old was William when he was made god father to Pavlos’ son?

15 but he was only an honorary godparent, and unlike the Anglican church which suggests at least 18, Orthodox allows as young as 13 for godparents.

I have a feeling they'll go for something modern, but not strange, for a first name, and may give family nods in the middle names. I don't think the child will have more than 3 names.

Boy: Oliver, Leo, Theo for a first name. Thomas, George, Edward, Philip, possibly Andrew as middle name options.

Girl: Olivia, Amelia, Pippa, Poppy for a first name (Poppy is a little out there but not out of the realm of possibilities). I think we'll certainly see Elizabeth as a middle name.

Going for my usual royal name guesses none of which are ever right. I think she might go for something modern and outside the box also though.

Cecelia/Celia
Helene/Helena
Alice
Elizabeth
Marianne
Second names - Elizabeth, Sarah, Nicola, Victoria

Alexander
Nicholas
Christopher

Last edited:
A baby boy; born on 1st February, 2021.

Godparents; Jack's brother, and Beatrice.

yep - I expect a complete new name, Something original and unique, like Peter and Zara have done.

I expect Beatrice to be front and center Godparent.

As each royal baby is born, I hope that a boy will have the name Albert & be known as Bertie but it seems unlikely.

I have little ones in my family with the names Lily and Florence (hence my name here!) so for a girl, I'd be pleased to see those names used. I really hope they don't go for a horrendously tacky celebrity name like Apple or something stupid like Rainbow.

Three names like Eugenie, first name probably something not used by close relatives, traditional and not used recently, middle names from ancestor, family and friend:

Girl-
First name: Alice, Augusta, Antonia [random thought, coincidently all name is started with A:lol:, and I really want someone bring back Augusta or Antonia]
Middle name: Sarah and Nicola [grandmas' name, typical choices], Beatrice [Aunt and possibly godmother], Elizabeth [in the honor of great-grandma]
(And I just realize both Eugenie's and Beatrice's mother in law is called Nicola, if they both have a girl and pick grandmas' name for middle name, their girls will share same middle name:D)

Boy-
First name: Nicholas, Arthur, Julian [random thought again]
Middle name: Edward [Grandpas' middle name], Thomas [Uncle and possibly godfather, also common ancestor and used to be frequently used in both family], Jan [Eugenie's doctor]

As each royal baby is born, I hope that a boy will have the name Albert & be known as Bertie but it seems unlikely.

I have little ones in my family with the names Lily and Florence (hence my name here!) so for a girl, I'd be pleased to see those names used. I really hope they don't go for a horrendously tacky celebrity name like Apple or something stupid like Rainbow.

THey are not going to use Albert. Its a very old fashioned name and not one that's likely to be revived.. except for a very old fashioned couple. Lord Nicholas WIndsors eldest son is Albert and I think known as Bertie but that's all that is likely

Back
Top Bottom