Names and Godparents for Eugenie and Jack's First child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Used to be common enough, tradition, to use a woman's maiden name as a middle name for a son. See it both in the UK and parts of the US (a number of US presidents (James Knox Polk, Knox for his mother's family is just the start).

It's also fairly common for girls, especially in the south. I can't begin to tell you how many of the women at my woman's college in Virginia had their mother's maiden name as first names, or went by a middle name that was their mother's maiden name.

While I honestly believe that they've already named that baby, I also wonder if we might have to wait awhile to see a picture or hear the name. For one, there's been a good many announcements being made this week by others and for two, it appears that due to COVID restrictions, even Andrew and Sarah haven't gotten to actually meet the baby yet. Since we know that HM and the DoE haven't gotten to meet him and I'd assume that they haven't actually been able to introduce him to anyone, they may want to do that first.

So, while I'm sure it won't be months, I wouldn't count on a picture or a name until at least some of the family get to meet him. Then again, I could be totally off base and Eugenie might surprise us all with an IG birthday wish for her father that includes a photo and/or a name.

August...well that is surely different! Love they used Phiilip and Hawke that is interesting

LaRae

Beautiful name and it's nice they have thought of honouring Prince Philip !

It's certainly unusual. Is August a Brooksbank family name I wonder? It's almost French sounding. Lovely that Philip is there but Hawke sounds like again like a family surname.

Discovered on social media:

Prince Augustus Frederick, sixth son of George III, and later Duke of Sussex.

So they went way back if they were going for a family name!

:previous:

Ahhh, I just now see the Instagram story link after I posted the below in response to @Curryong. So little Brooksbank's names have family connections all the way. @Mbruno was right in the other thread in mentioning the middle names of King George III's sons. Plus, I'm not sure who on Jack's side had the 'Hawke' name. But clearly they reached back fairly distant in the family for the 'August' and 'Hawke' family names. That's cool.

It's certainly unusual. Is August a Brooksbank family name I wonder? It's almost French sounding. Lovely that Philip is there but Hawke sounds like again like a family surname.

@Mbruno noted in the Eugenie/Jack baby thread the historic name, 'Augustus' given as one of middle names for several of George III's sons.

Keeping it short and sweet as 'August,' gives the ancient name a more modern feel. If that's the connection, which it may not be necessarily.

The name 'August' has Latin, Italian and German roots, apparently.

Last edited:
It may not necessarily be a contraction of Augustus/Auguste though. Maybe the month also means something to Eugenie and Jack? Gorgeous photos of the proud parents and little one!

Last edited:
It may not be a contraction of Augustus/Auguste though. Maybe the month means something to Eugenie and Jack? Gorgeous photos of the proud parents and little one!

From Princess Eugenie’s Instagram story, August was named after his great grandfather (Philip) and great 5 times grandfather on both sides of his family (Hawkes & August).

Well, none of us had August on our Bingo card. I’m happy that Philip is being used in the baby’s name.

From Princess Eugenie’s Instagram story, August was named after his great grandfather (Philip) and great 5 times grandfather on both sides of his family (Hawkes & August).

who is hte "August" on the Brookbank side of the family?

It says both sides of the family (the two names)...August from hers Hawke from his.
There are quite a few Augustuses on the Windsor side, of course.... but IMo ther were nicer traditional royal names they could have picked. Frederick, Arthur, but not Augustus or Adolphus...

I like the unusual aspect of 'August,' and they clearly like the name and feel that it suits their first child. Maybe his friends will call him Augie, or Gus.

There are quite a few Augustuses on the Windsor side, of course.... but IMo ther were nicer traditional royal names they could have picked. Frederick, Arthur, but not Augustus or Adolphus...

I feel quite certain they would never have picked "Adolphus" let alone Adolph to shorten it.

I like both Arthur and Fredrick but they're fairly popular these days, maybe they wanted something a little more unusual.

She did specifically say they were going back to Prince Albert, although on the Hanoverian side Augustus was a very traditional name.

I imagine they were looking back through the family trees and found symmetry in the generations with names they liked on both sides and came up with "the equal 5 times Great Grandfathers" idea.

Last edited:
I think he will probably end up being called Gus or Gussie as August Brooksbank is a bit of a mouthful! He's a lovely little boy!

Last edited:
I love it! August is traditional and not very common.
and the baby is adorable!!

I think he will probably end up being called Gus or Gussie as August Brooksbank is a bit of a mouthfu! He's a lovely little boy!
Honestly Gus or Gussie doesn't sound much better to me. I like some Victorian names but the ones that seem to have become fashionable again yikes! Wilfred, Toby, Archie.. etc. etc.
the baby looks very tiny to me.. Im not an expert but he does seem small....

I don't care for the name; will he be called Augie?
(I think that was the name of a cartoon dog).

Better to have just gone with Philip Hawke.
But their child, their choice.

So it's August! Wow! I would never have guessed that name in a million years.

I like it! It's nice to see more unusual names in the BRF these days.?

I don't care for the name; will he be called Augie?
(I think that was the name of a cartoon dog).

Better to have just gone with Philip Hawke.
But their child, their choice.

I would really like Philip. I think its a nice name, sounds well, has a nice meaning (Lover of horses) and is the name of her grandpa.. whom I like. but I have a feeling the old boy has never encouraged his offspring to use his name much.

I think he will probably end up being called Gus or Gussie as August Brooksbank is a bit of a mouthfu! He's a lovely little boy!

That doesn't have to be a problem. My first name and last name are both a mouthful and I've never encountered a problem with it.
I'm happy the name doesn't sound weak, so to say.

That doesn't have to be a problem. My first name and last name are both a mouthful and I've never encountered a problem with it.

so are my names, but peoeple try and abbreviate my first name a lot...

You don't live in Australia! Practically every long surname and forename gets shortened. If Eugenie's baby was Australian it would be Gus for sure!

Prince Augustus Frederick was the sixth son and ninth child of King George III. He was the first Duke of Sussex.

You don't live in Australia! Practically every long surname and forename gets shortened. If Eugenie's baby was Australian it would be Gus for sure!

Neither do Eugenie and Jack (live in Australia). It may be an Australian custom, but my point was merely that his "mouthful" name doesn't have to be a problem per se.

I'll make an exception when Eugenie and Jack themselves start to abbreviate :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom