Names and Godparents for Eugenie and Jack's First child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
York is a cute idea. ..Alas, poor Yorick. I knew him well .. Shakespeare named a court jester the name so, though not trendy, it is not peculiar.

The Yorkie too is a gorgeous little dog.

York Christopher George Brooksbank
York Philip Stamp Brooksbank
Fergus York Edward Brooksbank
Arthur Nicholas York Brooksbank

The little chap will have his name by now yet Yorkie could always be a moniker.

I am expecting a variant of Andrew - Drew, Andre, Andreas.
Maybe Eugene.

Interesting story about baby naming - and the winner of baby names timing would have to be the length of time it took the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh to name Prince Edward - The Queen only thought of girl names so when Edward came along - she wanted to name Edward, Philip - but the Duke of Edinburgh refused and wanted Richard or Louis. So the time elapsed when the registration of birth was supposed to happen until they come to a resolution and the Duke of Edinburgh was fined accordingly. He happily paid it and noted to the press that he had won the argument.

Eugene Jack?

Interesting- so he's going to be a master then?

Until he is 18 when he will become Mister.

Old fashioned but still used for 'formal' names. Peter Phillips was known as Master Peter Phillips until he turned 18.

If Archie were in the UK he may very well be called Master Archie Mountbatten-Windsor rather than just Archie.

It's hard to predict Godparents as some (most) people go to family and others opt for friends and you never know how many people will be chosen. I can imagine Beatrice and Jack's brother being chosen and I think Freddie Windsor or his wife Sophie are also in with a shout as is Peter Phillips but other than that I really can't think of anyone else.

Historically, all non-titled men were Master and all non-titled women were Mistress, but it somehow evolved so that boys are now Master and grown men are Mr, and unmarried women of any age are Miss and married women are Mrs ... although some women prefer Ms. Annoyingly, Master tends not to appear on the list of drop-down titles when ordering things on websites, so I had to send my 9-year-old nephew something addressed to Mr, which he was very pleased about :) . But, yes, Master Brooksbank will be Master until he's older!

York is a cute idea. ..Alas, poor Yorick. I knew him well .. Shakespeare named a court jester the name so, though not trendy, it is not peculiar.

The Yorkie too is a gorgeous little dog.

York Christopher George Brooksbank
York Philip Stamp Brooksbank
Fergus York Edward Brooksbank
Arthur Nicholas York Brooksbank

The little chap will have his name by now yet Yorkie could always be a moniker.
I dont think they're going to give him a nickname that is either a chocolate bar or a dog....

I doubt the baby will have 3 given names like George, Charlotte and Louis. I think they will follow the same route as we've seen with Isla, just two given names + family names.

I doubt the baby will have 3 given names like George, Charlotte and Louis. I think they will follow the same route as we've seen with Isla, just two given names + family names.

It's a matter of preference not closeness to the throne.

Not even looking at Eugenie, look at the Brooksbanks.

-Jack Christopher Stamp
-George Edward Hugh
-Wilfred Stamp Ewing (nephew, not sure Thomas' full)
-Florian Thomas Charles (heir to the Baronetcy)

Even Savannah has three names.

Indeed. If The Queen Mother and George VI had followed the Scottish tradition mentioned we would have Queen Cecelia and Princess Mary. Only if they had a third daughter would it have been named Elizabeth.

Interesting, so a third daughter would be named after her mother and a third son after his father? In the Dutch tradition, after the grandparents, they would start with the aunts and uncles (again in birth order and alternating between families; unless someone passed away earlier - in that case they would move up).

So, if they would name their son after his paternal grandfather, we'd have a master George Brooksbank. Jack himself however was named after his great-grandfather. In the baby's case that would lead to a 'Stamp' Brooksbank; so maybe they'd pick his second name Godfrey instead...

-Jack Christopher Stamp
-George Edward Hugh

The peerage news has his name as 'Thomas George Brooksbank' at his engagement announcement.

-Jack Christopher Stamp
-George Edward Hugh

I was not talking about the throne, I just mentioned children with three names. Mia and Lena have two. Even if the Brooksbanks have usually three, Eugenie might not want that many names.

Actually, I don't know about the UK, but Portugal has seen a decline of naming children with several names in the recent decade. In the time of my mother, several people had lots of names, my mother has 5 names, now 6 with my father's surname.

Then in my time, it was usual for parents to name their children with two given names. Now it's different. Most kids only have one name as opposed to two (of course, there are still some with two names). But things have changed considerably in the last few years.

Last edited:
Maybe my post didn't make it through. I think Alistair Phillip Andrew George Brooksbank sounds nice. Not everyone has this primary name.

When do they disclose the name? I am careful to know the child's name.

'Alistair' is a nice name, but I would think more-so 'Albert' to honor King George VI

Albert Hugh Philip
(Bertie Brooksbank has a nice ring) ;)

Or:
Albert Hugh Ferguson

Or:
Albert Hugh Jackson

(Since Hugh is one of Jack's father's names)

Or, to honor Jack's ancestors:
Thomas Lynall Stamp

Or:
Philip Eugene Stamp

Or:
Philip Jackson Stamp

Last edited:
Jackson is a bit too American sounding to me.

I lean far away from them using 'alternatives' like Jackson instead of Jack. Or Eugene to honor his mother when there are plenty of men to honor name wise.

Alastair would be a nice change from Albert which is already in use. It also is the name of one of Eugenie's godfathers, Captain Alastair Ross. He was her father's commander in the navy.

Eugene? I hope not!

I do like the sound of Hugh and Alistair.

LaRae

What if Master Brooksbank was named Jack Christopher Stamp Brooksbank, Jr.?

What if Master Brooksbank was named Jack Christopher Stamp Brooksbank, Jr.?

That doesn't seem a common trend, among the upper class, in the UK.

Now a child sharing a first name with his father is. But the middle names as well is another matter.

In the Brooksbanks family Edward was shared until recently as a first name.

Edward Clitherow Brooksbank- 1st baronet
Edward William Brooksbank- 2nd baronet
Edward Nicholas Brooksbank-3rd baronet

Between the 1st and second there was Edward York (he died before his father so his son Edward William inherited the baronetcy instead).

They went by their second names, to distinguish from the previous generation. Nicholas broke the tradition, in that his eldest son is named Florian not Edward, though like his father he goes by his second name Thomas instead.

We could see something like Jack Philip Hugh Brooksbank, and to distinguish him from his father, he goes by Philip instead.

Jackson is a bit too American sounding to me.

Maybe, but 'Jack' in and of itself is rather 'American-sounding.' LOL

I don't think Eugenie or Jack are averse to things that are American or 'American-sounding.' One of Eugenie's favorite cousins lives in America and is married to an American. ;)

Plus, Eugenie chose for her sister to read a passage from The Great Gatsby, one of the most famous American literary works of the 20th century. ?

In the not-too-distant future when travel restrictions are lifted, I can see Eugenie and Jack visiting the Sussexes at their Montecito home, where the Sussex and Brooksbank young cousins can have a blast playing together on the beautiful grounds.

I lean far away from them using 'alternatives' like Jackson instead of Jack. Or Eugene to honor his mother when there are plenty of men to honor name wise.

Alastair would be a nice change from Albert which is already in use. It also is the name of one of Eugenie's godfathers, Captain Alastair Ross. He was her father's commander in the navy.

Eugene? I hope not! I do like the sound of Hugh and Alistair.

There's nothing wrong with honoring a son by choosing a male form of a mother's given name.

Regarding 'Eugene' as one of their son's names, it's probably unlikely but not an impossible choice. It rather depends on the parents' preferences, not ours. :D Perhaps 'Gene' rather than 'Eugene.' LOL

It's nice to know that there's a close association Eugenie has to the name Alistair, as I like the sound of it. But would they call him 'Ali' for a nickname? Hmmm

Alistair is very 'British-sounding.' And it would go with any combination of Lynall and/or Hugh and/or Philip and/or Stamp.

We could see something like Jack Philip Hugh Brooksbank, and to distinguish him from his father, he goes by Philip instead.

That sounds very reasonable, and those names are likeable and they go together.

Personally, I rather like the sound of 'Bertie Brooksbank.' ? With the George VI connection, I don't think 'Albert' is completely out of the question, despite seeming a bit old-fashioned. Who btw currently has 'Albert' as a first given name among either the Brooksbanks or the Windsors? I realize 'Albert' has been popular as a second, third or fourth given name among the Windsors. But not recently used as a first name.

It's been said that Diana didn't like the names 'Albert' or 'George.' She was okay with the name, 'William.' Reportedly, the Wales' first born son was named after Prince William of Gloucester, the second cousin Charles idolized. Diana didn't particularly care for the formal sound of 'Henry' either. That's why she was adamant her second son, although formally named 'Henry,' would be called 'Harry.'

Last edited:
When do they disclose the name? I am careful to know the child's name.

They are not required to release the name until the baby is registered and they have 42 days to do that. If they do not have a name by then the baby still has to be registered and the 'name' left blank.

They will probably release a name in the next few days but it may take a week or more. With Charles it was a month and Edward took longer than the 42 days and Philip was fined for a late registration of birth (the Queen allegedly believed she was having another girl and only had girls names chosen and they took time to decide on a boy's name for Edward).

Jack and Eugenie probably discussed both boys and girls names over the course of Eugenie's pregnancy. It's always better to wait and see the baby before settling on one of the favorite names under consideration for either gender.

They may have already decided, but are waiting till they are ready to announce. Or else, they're still deciding. ?

I hope they are thinking that with all the covid negative things happening in the world at the moment the birth of a child is a joyous occasion and imho worth sharing. I hope they can balance that with any privacy concerns. It's just a name and eventually everyone will know what it is. Please tell us!!

Until he is 18 when he will become Mister.

Old fashioned but still used for 'formal' names. Peter Phillips was known as Master Peter Phillips until he turned 18.

If Archie were in the UK he may very well be called Master Archie Mountbatten-Windsor rather than just Archie.

Does this mean he won't have a title?

Who, baby Brooksbanks or Archie?

Baby Brooksbanks won't have a (courtesy) title as Jack isn't a Peer.

Archie has a courtesy title as the eldest son of a Duke but his parents don't want him to use it, presumably until adulthood when he can choose. He will be a Duke after Harry's death however, as he will inherit the Sussex dukedom.

Who, baby Brooksbanks or Archie?

Baby Brooksbanks won't have a (courtesy) title as Jack isn't a Peer.

Archie has a courtesy title as the eldest son of a Duke but his parents don't want him to use it, presumably until adulthood when he can choose. He will be a Duke after Harry's death however, as he will inherit the Sussex dukedom.

Baby Brooksbanks. I was already told Archie has a title. I thought Jack got a title when he married Eugenie. The "master" part confuses me with the babies. Was George announced as "master" George? I can't remember.

Jack has no title and was not likely to get one on marriage. George was never a 'master' because he was born a Prince. Master is just a form of address in Britain and a very formal and rather oldfashioned one.

Jack, like the husband of Princess Alexandra wasn't given a title on his marriage to Eugenie. Edoardo also wasn't given a title on marriage to Beatrice.

Alexandra is a better precedent for the York girls as, like them, she is a grand daughter of a monarch and a Princess, unlike Anne and Margaret (and Mary) who were all the daughters of a monarch.

Master Brooksbank isn't entitled to any title as his father doesn't have a title and Eugenie, being a girl, can't pass on a title - only males can pass on HRH's and most other titles e.g. as girls neither Beatrice nor Eugenie can inherit their father's titles while Archie and James are both the heirs to their father's titles because they are boys.

When someone has a title they have the option to either use it or not.

Those without titles are referred to as Mr or Miss or Ms or Mrs.

Mr = Master for boys and Mister for adult males
Miss = an unmarried woman - girl or adult woman
Ms = any woman regardless of marital status
Mrs = a married woman

Archie is entitled to use the courtesy title of Earl Dumbarton - Harry's second title as Archie is the heir apparent to the Dukedom of Sussex. That is why James uses Viscount Severn - because he is the heir apparent to the Earldom of Wessex. The substantive titles of Earl Dumbarton and Viscount Severn are held by Harry and Edward respectively but their sons can use them as a courtesy. Harry and Meghan decided that Archie wouldn't use that courtesy title.

Archie is also entitled to be Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor as a male line great-grandchild of a monarch in the same way that Lord Frederick and Lady Gabriella are able to use Lord and Lady - they are male line great-grandchildren of George V via their father Prince Michael of Kent and are able, under the 1917 Letters Patent, to style themselves as the younger children of a Duke. The Duke of Kent's younger children are Lady Helen and Lord Nicholas while his eldest uses the courtesy title Earl of St Andrews.

Does this mean he won't have a title?

No, he won't get a title or honorific prefix unless his father is later made a peer, in which case he would be styled as a peer's son (for example, if Jack became an earl, his son would probably be a courtesy viscount). For practical reasons, it is unlikely, however, that Jack will ever get a peerage. But, who knows, Jack may one day get a baronetcy for example and his firstborn son might inherit it if he outlives his father.

Last edited:
I thought Jack got a title when he married Eugenie.

Master Brooksbank isn't entitled to any title as his father doesn't have a title and Eugenie, being a girl, can't pass on a title - only males can pass on HRH's and most other titles e.g. as girls neither Beatrice nor Eugenie can inherit their father's titles while Archie and James are both the heirs to their father's titles because they are boys.

Iluvbertie's excellent explanation applies to Jack as well. Because Eugenie is a woman, she cannot pass on her title to her spouse under the laws which are in place. Had their genders been reversed, Miss Jacqueline Brooksbank would have automatically gotten the title HRH Princess upon marriage to HRH Prince Eugene of York, and she would have been referred to as HRH Princess Eugene of York.

No, he won't get a title or honorific prefix unless his father is later made a peer, in which case he would be styled as a peer's son (for example, if Jack became an earl, his son would probably be a courtesy viscount). For practical reasons, it is unlikely, however, that Jack will ever get a peerage. But, who knows, Jack may one day get a baronetcy for example and his firstborn son might inherit it if he outlives his father.

Aren't there a substantial number of males ahead of Jack in the line of succession to the Brooksbank baronetcy?

Barring a series of unexpected deaths in the Brooksbank family, and given the current trends in Britain and Europe, I think the least unlikely opportunity for the child to get a title would be some sort of reform, during Baby Brooksbank's lifetime, to equalize the titles of the children/spouses of princesses and the children/spouses of princes, which in my opinion is likelier than a reversion to giving peerages to consorts of junior members of the British royal family. In that scenario, the child would become for example Lord Edward Brooksbank, equivalent to Lord Frederick Windsor.

Back
Top Bottom