Names and Godparents for Eugenie and Jack's First child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the most important thing is that this little boy or girl is HEALTHY. Everything else will fall into place. If they want to give the child the name Andrew or Andrea not a big deal. It is their child not anyone else's. They are the parents no one on this Forum is. I also know one of Charles"s sons has the name David. The Duke of Windsor had a great fall from Grace. No one said anything about it. And what about Jack? every little baby boy named Jack is said what named after Jack the R. really this is getting a bit too far. This young couple do not have to please anyone else but themself's and their Families. Maybe if they have to please everyone on this Forum they need to call him Hey You. As Godparent if boy William and Jack's brother and maybe a friend. If girl Kate and Beatrice and one of her friends.

Has anyone ever suggested all Jacks are named for Jack the Ripper :ohmy: I have never heard that one. Hilarious ?

Well George Brooksbank's grandfather was Jack Coke, so sorry Jack The Ripper I don't think you can claim that one.

David is the Patron Saint of Wales. Was also the name of the Queen's beloved younger brother (why Margaret used it for her son, as she was pregnant with David when her Uncle died). Its not shocking Harry has it as a middle name. Heck Edward has Edward as a first name (David was only the very last of Edward VIII's names even if he was known by it in the family).

I dont rule out Andrew. Think more likely as a middle name. A lot of people prefer to give their children an original first name, and honor family in the middle names. Especially when the family member is alive. I could see them honoring both grandfathers in the middle name.

I mean we have a broad spectrum of names in the royal family. Some modern, and some more 'classical' but unexpected. We see it in the aristocracy too.

I mean between non-heir grandchildren, minor Windsors and the aristocratic families we have a mix of very 'popular names' and classical names which have gone out of fashion.

classical (not so common):
-Cassius
-Eloise
-Estella
-Columbus
-Maud (royal but definitely not common one chosen)
-Leopold
-Albert (like Maude and Leopold, royal connection but old fashioned, not so commonly used as a first name in recent decades)
-Archie

more popular:
-Savannah
-Mia
-Isla
-Lena

Among the aristocratic we see the same kind of mix. If you look at the nieces and nephews of the current Duke of Westminster you have classic names like Louis, and more popular names like Jake, Isla, Wolf, Orla and Zia. The Duke and Duchess of Northumberland's first grandchild is Romy.

Last edited:
It's the first time I read that 'Archie' is considered a classical name. I thought it was considered a nickname for Archibald but not classical. And I believe Frederick's daughter is called Maud instead of Maude.

I would add 'Lena' also to the non-classical names.

My guess is that Jack and Eugenie will pick a traditional name as seems a bit more common among the Kents than the Gloucesters or the Mountbatten-Windsors except for William and Catherine.

To Countessmeout post 61. No I heard no reference to J t R, it was an example. Since Andrew is not the flavor of the year. What I wanted to say is , they can name their bundle of joy what ever they like. Maybe he is called Philip George Andrew Stamp,if girl the female version of the names. I just want this this little one to be healthy and it will be loved. That's all.

Jack's nephew's (his brother Thomas' son) name is Wilfred Stamp Ewing Brooksbank. He was born in 7th July this year. I think it's highly unlikely the Jack and Eugenie are naming their child Wilfred (if the baby is a boy). There is the possibility of Stamp as a middle name, given that it is Jack's paternal grandfather's first name. I'm not quite sure where Ewing stems from though.
https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/2020/07/nephew-for-jack-brooksbank-and-princess.html

Jack's sister-in-law is named:
Amy Louise Ewing Brooksbank [nee Rodgers, born 1988]

Her father's name is Timothy Alexander Ewing Rodgers.

According to BetVictor UK, Alice (for a girl) and Arthur or Henry (for a boy) are all at 9/1 odds. Honey Channel 9 Australia and Daily Mail have picked the betting up. Other names included:

If the baby is a girl:
  • Alice: 9/1
  • Grace: 14/1
  • Victoria: 14/1
  • Alexandra: 14/1
  • Diana: 18/1
  • Isabella: 22/1

If the baby is a boy:
  • Arthur: 9/1
  • Henry: 9/1
  • Thomas: 12/1
  • Godfrey: 14/1
  • George: 18/1
  • Charles: 20/1

https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/pr...culation/15689f96-6724-4eb0-b5b1-8259322fd23b
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...incess-Eugenie-Jack-Brooksbank-call-baby.html

Some of these bettings and names could be very off. I remembered Louis' name announcement was quite unexpected, because "Arthur" and "Albert" were quite popular amongst the bookies. The one name that stood out to me is Godfrey.

According to BetVictor UK, Alice (for a girl) and Arthur or Henry (for a boy) are all at 9/1 odds. Honey Channel 9 Australia and Daily Mail have picked the betting up. Other names included:

If the baby is a girl:
  • Alice: 9/1
  • Grace: 14/1
  • Victoria: 14/1
  • Alexandra: 14/1
  • Diana: 18/1
  • Isabella: 22/1

If the baby is a boy:
  • Arthur: 9/1
  • Henry: 9/1
  • Thomas: 12/1
  • Godfrey: 14/1
  • George: 18/1
  • Charles: 20/1

https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/pr...culation/15689f96-6724-4eb0-b5b1-8259322fd23b
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...incess-Eugenie-Jack-Brooksbank-call-baby.html

Some of these bettings and names could be very off. I remembered Louis' name announcement was quite unexpected, because "Arthur" and "Albert" were quite popular amongst the bookies. The one name that stood out to me is Godfrey.

They are always off. The girls names seem to be the same ones up for the Cambridge and Harry's kids if they had a girl. A mix of popular names and popular royal names. Grace and Diana and such certainly were. I dont know George even made the list, I dont see Eugenie naming her kid the same thing as William named his son.

I agree no clue where Godfrey came from.

To compare:

The name bets for Louis

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/royalt...n-prince-william-royal-baby-name-betting-odds

Mary/Alice/Victoria and Alexander/Arthur were the top choices for the baby.

Archie

https://www.thecut.com/2019/05/meghan-markle-prince-harry-top-baby-names.html

Diana/Alice/Victoria for girl, Arthur/James/Alexander for a boy.

Odd names like Allegra pop up from time to time.

People seem intent on an Arthur Windsor.

Last edited:
I would like to see Jack's brother Thomas Brooksbank be a godfather.

I would like to see Jack's brother Thomas Brooksbank be a godfather.

In the RF, there seems to be a tendency to choose cousins or friends as godparents, rather than siblings.

I think it's because the siblings already have a close relationship with the child.

In the RF, there seems to be a tendency to choose cousins or friends as godparents, rather than siblings.

I think it's because the siblings already have a close relationship with the child.

I found this archived website with sources from The Times (which I think is accurate). I think from Prince Andrew onwards, the royals' godparents are distant cousins, aunts and uncles (closest is first cousin) rather than the parents' siblings and parents (baby's grandparents). The website goes to the grandchildren and some grandchildren-in-law of the Sovereign, but not beyond great-grandchildren, which would be more difficult to find. David Armstrong-Jones, 2nd Earl of Snowdon and Lady Sarah Chatto were not on the website either.

https://web.archive.org/web/2011080...rve.com/~canyon/christenings.htm#Christenings

I think there are some exceptions, where the royal has a godparent, who is the immediate family member to his/her parents. These are the examples that I could have find.
  • Prince Harry has Prince Andrew as his godfather
  • David Armstrong-Jones, 2nd Earl of Snowdon has The Queen as his godmother (according to Princess Margaret: A Biography by Theo Aronson, Thistle Publishing, I actually found it in wikipedia)

P.s. You have to scroll the Royal Christenings page towards the bottom third, because it started at George I (and ends with Lady Louise Windsor)!!! Yvonne Demoskoff (the author of the blog) has written a lot of information on Christening (Cake, Baby's gown, church).

Last edited:
If there are kids in Coronation Street or Eastenders called Albert, can't exaclty see them choosing the name.

Eastenders has an Albert obsession because of Albert Square, the Vic and the Prince Albert bar . Then Ian Albert Beale , (Al)Bert Moon and now Albie (who was initially was named Kayden ).

Eastenders has an Albert obsession because of Albert Square, the Vic and the Prince Albert bar . Then Ian Albert Beale , (Al)Bert Moon and now Albie (who was initially was named Kayden ).

I'll take your word for it.. but it would put me off using a name if it was popular in that programme.

Would 'Julia' be an option for the British upper class? See this family tree.

If not, Celia might be a modern twist of a more traditional name. Celia is Jack's paternal grandmother; and the traditional version, Cecilia, is the name of the queen's maternal grandmother).

Last edited:
Wow! I'm surprised the favourite names are not Sarah Nikola and Andrew George.

I would think that Eugenie and Jack would want to avoid Andrew in the name, despite him being her father. It won't bode well for PR.

:previous: I don't think their first or even second or third concern will be PR in naming their child. No issue using Andrew as a middle name (they aren't likely to use any of the parents' names as a first name really).

Would 'Julia' be an option for the British upper class? See this family tree.

If not, Celia might be a modern twist of a more traditional name. Celia is Jack's paternal grandmother; and the traditional version, Cecilia, is the name of the queen's maternal grandmother).

And both are a form of Cecily which is a name from the York royal days.

There are some Julia's among the nobility and upper crust. Not sure its either classical or trendy enough to fit one of the two categories their circle seem to go with right now though.

:previous: I don't think their first or even second or third concern will be PR in naming their child. No issue using Andrew as a middle name (they aren't likely to use any of the parents' names as a first name really).

And both are a form of Cecily which is a name from the York royal days.

There are some Julia's among the nobility and upper crust. Not sure its either classical or trendy enough to fit one of the two categories their circle seem to go with right now though.

No, Celia is a different name to Cecilia. Celia comes from the Latin meaning Heaven and Cecilia means blind.
Julia is one of Q Alexandras names and is "upper class" but rather old fashioned I think..I think Julie has been used more and more....

Is it that surprising? Plenty of people don't name their kids directly after their grandparents like that. Their cousins have of course used many family names (William and Kate more than once) but the closest they they've come to "Andrew George" is "Charlotte Elizabeth Diana" where they gender flipped the name of her grandfather. You might just as well wonder if they'll call a boy Nicholas or a girl Andrea Georgina.

I don't think they'll be considering PR or optics as a priority since this baby will live a life comparable to the younger Kents and Gloucesters but at the same time there's no need to use Andrew or Andrea to honour the baby's grandfather unless they really love the name because it would draw a lot of unnecessary controversy.

I like the name Julia and I actually know a little girl by the name but it is considered a bit old fashioned. Which makes it perfectly on trend these days

Is it that surprising? Plenty of people don't name their kids directly after their grandparents like that. Their cousins have of course used many family names (William and Kate more than once) but the closest they they've come to "Andrew George" is "Charlotte Elizabeth Diana" where they gender flipped the name of her grandfather. You might just as well wonder if they'll call a boy Nicholas or a girl Andrea Georgina.

I don't think they'll be considering PR or optics as a priority since this baby will live a life comparable to the younger Kents and Gloucesters but at the same time there's no need to use Andrew or Andrea to honour the baby's grandfather unless they really love the name because it would draw a lot of unnecessary controversy.

I like the name Julia and I actually know a little girl by the name but it is considered a bit old fashioned. Which makes it perfectly on trend these days
Im sure they wont use Andrew, if they really want to mention Andrew they can use one of his 4 names....

I don't understand why people try to influence them maybe the wrong word, as to what name they give to their child, by tweets or what ever. It is their child Eugenie and Jack are raising the little one, no one and I mean no one will pay for the child's upbringing schooling and what ever else their need is, sure not the Taxpayer. If they want to name the child after the Grandfather or Great grandfather or after the female side of the family it is their choice not anyone else's. One of my children has a French first name and a Greek middle name, I was told they need to be called what is popular or traditional in my husbands Country. We asked them if they are paying for this child until Adulthood? They became quiet vulgar. My or our responds was to tell them politely TMTOB. No more was said.

No, Celia is a different name to Cecilia. Celia comes from the Latin meaning Heaven and Cecilia means blind.
Julia is one of Q Alexandras names and is "upper class" but rather old fashioned I think..I think Julie has been used more and more....

Right and wrong about Cecilia/Celia.

As a stand alone name, yes they come from different roots. But Celia has been a common nickname for Cecilia for generations.

Alexandra is a wonderful example of how new names enter into a family tree when royals marry a foreigner. As I pointed out in my post, Julia indeed is found in the upper crust. But the current trend in those circles tend to either be for classical names (Eloise and Louis type names) or more trendy names like Isla (there are quite a few among the aristocratic kids now). Julia is neither classical (just a name out of vogue for a few decades) or trendy right now. But it might be a nice surprise to see.

As far as I know there is already a Julia in the family: Princess Alexandra of Kent's daughter in law. I would love to see family names but not Elizabeth or John which I think are unlucky names in the House of Windsor.

John Brooksbank...it would sound nice.

As far as I know there is already a Julia in the family: Princess Alexandra of Kent's daughter in law. I would love to see family names but not Elizabeth or John which I think are unlucky names in the House of Windsor.

There are two Alexanders in the royal family: Alexander Windsor, Earl of Ulster (Prince Richard, The [2nd] Duke of Gloucester's son) and Alexander Ogilvy (James Ogilvy's son)

I don't know about the possibility of picking the same name, but Edward was popular
  • Edward VIII (1894–1972)
  • Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex (b. 1964)
  • Prince Edward, (1st) Duke of Kent (b. 1935)
  • Edward Windsor, Baron Downpatrick (b. 1988)

I don't understand why people try to influence them maybe the wrong word, as to what name they give to their child, by tweets or what ever. It is their child Eugenie and Jack are raising the little one, no one and I mean no one will pay for the child's upbringing schooling and what ever else their need is, sure not the Taxpayer. If they want to name the child after the Grandfather or Great grandfather or after the female side of the family it is their choice not anyone else's. One of my children has a French first name and a Greek middle name, I was told they need to be called what is popular or traditional in my husbands Country. We asked them if they are paying for this child until Adulthood? They became quiet vulgar. My or our responds was to tell them politely TMTOB. No more was said.
Who is trying to influence Jack and Eugenie to pick a specific name? I haven't read any reports on people pressuring them.

This topic is just us speculating what they might pick. I don't think anybody expects them to 'listen to us'. And I am sure they will pick names they like/having meaning to them and according to what is important to them (and that might include an understanding of the public's opinion on Eugenie's father)...

Nonetheless, I don't really understand what 'paying for a child's upbringing' has to do with the right to name the child. Isn't being the child's parents enough? I prefer a world in which money is not the determining factor...

Agree somebody. This is just a fun thread to vote and guess on what we think they may choose.

No one but the queen has any say in what they name this baby, besides the parents. And this far removed from the throne I doubt the queen would interfere.

John is considered unlucky true. Due to the deaths of the sons of George V and Edward VII. Though Edward's son was Alexander John, and Alexander has not been out of use for being unlucky.

Don't recall Elizabeth being seen as unlucky.

No one but the queen has any say in what they name this baby, besides the parents. And this far removed from the throne I doubt the queen would interfere.

And even in the case of the queen, she would have no legal right to interfere if the parents decided to ignore her opinion.

Back to picking possible names,does any-one think Angela/Angelina is a possibility?Angela was one of the middle names of QEQM, and as far as I know, it has not been used in the RF.

Also, if Jack and Eugenie went with other family names, there are lots of lovely new names to bring in. Nicole/Nicola, Susan/Susanna, Celia/Cecily/Cecilia, Christina/Christine would all have special meaning for a little girl. i am still treing tp think of names for a little boy.

I doubt if Eugenie is going to go back to her grandmother's middle names... She will problaby have a fashionable name as a first name and if its a girl Eliz will be in there somewhere, and mabye a name from Jacks side of the family....

I think there will be some "family names" in there as well as Deville says a high chance of a fashionable upper class names which are often twists on old fashioned or classical names e.g Wilfred for Jack's nephew.

I don't necessarily think we're going to see Sarah Elizabeth Nicole or Phillip Andrew George, even though I'm sure one of those sorts of names will make it in at least. But even the Cambridges got a (tiny) bit more inventive than that, as did Eugenie's own names.

Back
Top Bottom