Names and Godparents for Eugenie and Jack's First child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those betting polls very rarely even come close.

At least for once its not predicting Arthur or James. They seem to be the top choice for every male royal in the UK for betting. And were the top picks for this baby up until yesterday.

Christian Philip Ronald

or

Ronald Philip Christian

or

Ronald Andrew Philip George

or

Nicholas Andrew George

or

Philip Jackson Andrew George

Last edited:
Considering Beatrice's stepson is Christopher I highly doubt they would use it.

Both George and Andrew have Edward as a middle name so could use it.

I would love

Philip Edward Stamp

But I suspect we will see a more popular first name

Leo Philip Stamp

Oliver Andrew George

I think Oliver is a really nice name that goes well with the last name, Brooksbank. The first name Philip also goes well with Brooksbank.

The question is whether they will stick to three rather than four names. Many of the younger royals are going with three names for their offspring.

In my previous post, I mentioned 'Nicholas,' since Jack's mother's name is Nicola. As well, with Harry picking 'Harrison' as one of his son's names, it would not be surprising if Eugenie and Jack decided to use 'Jackson' as one of their son's names.

Sarah would surely be happy if her father's name is chosen in some capacity.

So, perhaps--

Ronald Nicholas Andrew

or perhaps

Ronald Eugene Jackson

or

Nicholas Eugene Jackson

or

Philip Eugene Ferguson

Last edited:
Eugenie and Jack both have three names. I'd be shocked if they went with 4.

If they chose Nicholas I think it would be as a first name to give the baby his 'own name'. Middle names IMO will be more straight family names. I don't see Eugene. Plenty of other names to use without gender bending Eugenie.

I still lean to honoring both grandfathers in the middle name some how.

Edward would be perfect as it is a middle name of both George and Andrew. Then they could use Philip as well, and still give the baby original first name.

Won't be shocked if they just do straight George Andrew for the middle names.

Yes, three given names seem to be the norm for the younger royals' choice for their offspring, aside from Harry who decided with Meghan to use the American custom of two given names (especially since the Mountbatten-Windsor surname is such a mouthful). Plus, of course, they did not intend a title for Archie either.

Yes, if they chose 'Edward,' I suppose that could suffice for honoring both grandfathers, and then maybe use 'Philip' somewhere to honor aging great-grandfather.

Philip Edward Jackson

or

Philip Edward Stamp

Or, as you suggest, a completely original non-family related first name combined with two family names.

I think Oliver is a really nice name that goes well with the last name, Brooksbank. The first name Philip also goes well with Brooksbank.

The question is whether they will stick to three rather than four names. Many of the younger royals are going with three names for their offspring.

In my previous post, I mentioned 'Nicholas,' since Jack's mother's name is Nicola. As well, with Harry picking 'Harrison' as one of his son's names, it would not be surprising if Eugenie and Jack decided to use 'Jackson' as one of their son's names.

Sarah would surely be happy if her father's name is chosen in some capacity.

So, perhaps--

Ronald Nicholas Andrew

or perhaps

Ronald Eugene Jackson

or

Nicholas Eugene Jackson

or

Philip Eugene Ferguson
Isn't that a very American thing though instead of a British upper-class custom? Therefore, I always thought that idea would have come from Meghan; so for me it would come as a huge surprise if Jack and Eugenie would go that route.

Oliver is associated with Oliver Cromwell.

I am expecting a variant of Andrew - Drew, Andre, Andreas.
Maybe Eugene.

Interesting story about baby naming - and the winner of baby names timing would have to be the length of time it took the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh to name Prince Edward - The Queen only thought of girl names so when Edward came along - she wanted to name Edward, Philip - but the Duke of Edinburgh refused and wanted Richard or Louis. So the time elapsed when the registration of birth was supposed to happen until they come to a resolution and the Duke of Edinburgh was fined accordingly. He happily paid it and noted to the press that he had won the argument.

Oliver is associated with Oliver Cromwell.

In the UK it's in the top 5 if not the top 3 names and has been for many years so I don't think anyone will be jumping to those associations.

It wasn't uncommon for the upper class (and others) to use mother's maiden name as a first name for the child, I think that's where Stamp entered the Brooksbanks as a family name, which I think is highly likely to be used. I suppose there's a possibility we might see York as a middle name in lieu of Andrew or Albert etc.

However Jackson would be seen as a very American name, and there are lots of other ways I could see Jack and Eugenie putting in family names before going the route Harry and Meghan chose, even though it worked for them. I do see something more traditional from them even if it's traditional with a twist. However if they wanted to go the Jackson/Eugene route, they certainly should.

They're lucky that Brooksbank works with a lot of lovely names.

I wonder if they'll announce it on Saturday so it makes all the Sunday papers?

With Princess Eugenie having been passionate enough about her profession to incorporate a favorite artwork into the uniform of her bridal party, I wonder if there are any distinguished artists who might be honored in the name.

The Duke of York did not figure in the publicly released photographs of his own daughter's wedding. My guess is that his name will not appear in any publicly announced part of the name of his grandson.

As this child will be as distantly related to the senior royals as James Ogilvy is today, I don't believe it will be necessary to avoid sharing a name with a senior member of the royal family.

I suppose there's a possibility we might see York as a middle name in lieu of Andrew or Albert etc.

Peerage News proposes the same, noting that the surname of York is also found in Jack Brooksbank's family tree, the Brooksbank family has a tradition of using ancestral surnames as Christian names, and it would be a consolation prize of sorts for the fact that the dukedom of York will be lost to this branch of the Royal Family when Andrew passes away.

For a commoner maybe not necessarily, but Eugenie and Jack are royals.

And Cromwell "buried" the Stuart monarchy and set a republic in England - for a short time, yes, but he did it.

Peerage News proposes the same, noting that the surname of York is also found in Jack Brooksbank's family tree, the Brooksbank family has a tradition of using ancestral surnames as Christian names, and it would be a consolation prize of sorts for the fact that the dukedom of York will be lost to this branch of the Royal Family when Andrew passes away.

True, I also noted that York has been used previously in the Brooksbank family, so that would indeed be an interesting nod to the Dukedom of York (that Eugenie herself used as informal surname). I personally don't like surnames used as first or middle names but if they want to use it, it would be rather fitting for the duke of York's eldest grandson.

True, I also noted that York has been used previously in the Brooksbank family, so that would indeed be an interesting nod to the Dukedom of York (that Eugenie herself used as informal surname). I personally don't like surnames used as first or middle names but if they want to use it, it would be rather fitting for the duke of York's eldest grandson.

IMHO York sounds much better than "Stamp" and the close relation to the Stamp-family is hundreds of years back. I understand that at the time using the maiden name of a Brooksbank-bride was important to show the close relationship between Mary Stamp and her uncle Sir Thomas Stamp, who was back then the Lord Mayor of London (talking about the late 1600s/early 1700.) But nowadays the boy is the great-grandson of the queen and as such, York, his grandfather's dukedom should be of greater interest for the firstborn son of that marriage.

And just imagine what he would mean in school to be called a "stamp" for a direct line descendant of a queen who has dominated stamps for more than 60 years...

Given the above, maybe:

Nicholas Edward York (with Nicholas being a traditional name and a nice nod to his mother - going back to my very first idea; and Edward for both fathers)

OR:
Nicholas Philip York (Philip of course as a nod do Eugenie's grandfather)

OR:
Philip Edward York (but the combination sounds a bit 'heavy' for some reason - but if they'd like the family connection...)

I doubt if they'll use York..I can't think of any case where a "surname" has been used as a given name in the BRF.... and i doubt if they want to draw attenton to Andrew, so not likely to be Andrew iehter....

I doubt if they'll use York..I can't think of any case where a "surname" has been used as a given name in the BRF.... and i doubt if they want to draw attenton to Andrew, so not likely to be Andrew iehter....

It might not be a custom in Eugenie's family but it is a custom in Jack's family (see also Jack's own third name of Stamp)... If it wasn't, I agree it would be highly unlikely. But in this case, it might be an option, especially since this specific name of 'York' has been used in the Brooksbank family before, so it would be a nod to both families.

And we've seen that most of the queen's grandchildren take some leeway with the names of their children - most of them would not have been considered acceptable within the royal family not too long ago; and while I expect Eugenie and Jack to go the traditional route - this would be part of a family tradition.

Last edited:
I like the idea of using Ronald and Philip as middle names to honor the grandfathers of Eugenie.

Someone suggestes Hugo. I like that!

Hugo Philip Jack

I like the idea of using Ronald and Philip as middle names to honor the grandfathers of Eugenie.

What about Jake's grandparents?

Did the British also have the custom that the first son is named after the paternal grandfather and the second after the maternal; while the first daughter is named after the maternal grandmother, while the second daughter after the paternal grandmother?

What about Jake's grandparents?

Did the British also have the custom that the first son is named after the paternal grandfather and the second after the maternal; while the first daughter is named after the maternal grandmother, while the second daughter after the paternal grandmother?

I know that was a traditional Scottish naming pattern for a long time for that part of my family but I don't think the English have ever followed that exactly. Although father and son (and thus grandfather) or mother and daughter having exactly the same name wasn't uncommon and has happened in the Royal family (see HM). Regardless it certainly isn't held as a rule anywhere today but probably is traditional within certain families.

I think there will be family names but almost certainly not George Andrew Brooksbank.

I think his first name will be something posh, popular and cool, like Theo, Lucas or Hugo (which I see some have already suggested). Those names go well with Brooksbank, and they sound like they could be a son of a man named Jack lol.

I know that was a traditional Scottish naming pattern for a long time for that part of my family but I don't think the English have ever followed that exactly. Although father and son (and thus grandfather) or mother and daughter having exactly the same name wasn't uncommon and has happened in the Royal family (see HM). Regardless it certainly isn't held as a rule anywhere today but probably is traditional within certain families.

I think there will be family names but almost certainly not George Andrew Brooksbank.

Thanks! Interesting to see how that differs between Scotland and England.

Would the pattern of naming your child after yourself also be more Scottish than English (taking into account that the queen's mother was Scottish)?

It would lead to a different pattern as all generation would have exactly the same name instead of (first) names always skipping one generation.

How about Alistair Phillip Andrew George. I think this goes well with Brooksbank too.

Andrew's full name is Andrew Albert Christian Edward. So maybe the first name could be Christopher or Christian or one of the middle names.

Thanks! Interesting to see how that differs between Scotland and England.

Would the pattern of naming your child after yourself also be more Scottish than English (taking into account that the queen's mother was Scottish)?

It would lead to a different pattern as all generation would have exactly the same name instead of (first) names always skipping one generation.

Naming a child after yourself (and your father) was fairly common in England. As is having "family names" like Stamp that come from a mother's maiden name e.g. it Linton Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights.

The naming pattern you described I remember as distinctly Scottish from an old book my grandparents had and just googled it:

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/blog/help/traditional-scottish-naming-patterns

Elizabeth naming her daughter Elizabeth wouldn't really be considered specifically Scottish and Margaret Rose didn't follow that pattern although there are both those names in the families.

But likely as not he'll be Theo Albert Stamp Brooksbank or something that honours both families without any sort of pattern. Or we might even have a Mia Grace Tindall on our hands of just names the parents happen to like.

With Princess Eugenie having been passionate enough about her profession to incorporate a favorite artwork into the uniform of her bridal party, I wonder if there are any distinguished artists who might be honored in the name.

The Duke of York did not figure in the publicly released photographs of his own daughter's wedding. My guess is that his name will not appear in any publicly announced part of the name of his grandson.

As this child will be as distantly related to the senior royals as James Ogilvy is today, I don't believe it will be necessary to avoid sharing a name with a senior member of the royal family.

It seems people are putting too much stock into Andrew not being in the photo like it was a snub. They only released one photo. Sarah wasnt in it. Edo's parents were not. Edo's son was not. Eugenie was not. They made a conscious decision to release a photo simply with her grandparents.

Should we assume they will snub everyone but Philip in naming the kid, off of the photo released?

Elizabeth naming her daughter Elizabeth wouldn't really be considered specifically Scottish and Margaret Rose didn't follow that pattern although there are both those names in the families.

But likely as not he'll be Theo Albert Stamp Brooksbank or something that honours both families without any sort of pattern. Or we might even have a Mia Grace Tindall on our hands of just names the parents happen to like.

Indeed. If The Queen Mother and George VI had followed the Scottish tradition mentioned we would have Queen Cecelia and Princess Mary. Only if they had a third daughter would it have been named Elizabeth.

Hugh Philip Christian Brooksbank

Edward Philip Stamp Brooksbank

Hugo Edward Stamp Brooksbank

Andrew is her father and she adores him whether people like it or not. If she wants to names her kid Andrew as a middle name or even as first name public opinion or press/publicity is the last thing that should matter.

I'm guessing his middle names as ......Phillip Andrew George

Perhaps I imagined it or it related to another baby but there was something about the names being released for/on a Sunday.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom