The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-31-2020, 05:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
I think the most important thing is that this little boy or girl is HEALTHY. Everything else will fall into place. If they want to give the child the name Andrew or Andrea not a big deal. It is their child not anyone else's. They are the parents no one on this Forum is. I also know one of Charles"s sons has the name David. The Duke of Windsor had a great fall from Grace. No one said anything about it. And what about Jack? every little baby boy named Jack is said what named after Jack the R. really this is getting a bit too far. This young couple do not have to please anyone else but themself's and their Families. Maybe if they have to please everyone on this Forum they need to call him Hey You. As Godparent if boy William and Jack's brother and maybe a friend. If girl Kate and Beatrice and one of her friends.

Has anyone ever suggested all Jacks are named for Jack the Ripper I have never heard that one. Hilarious

Well George Brooksbank's grandfather was Jack Coke, so sorry Jack The Ripper I don't think you can claim that one.

David is the Patron Saint of Wales. Was also the name of the Queen's beloved younger brother (why Margaret used it for her son, as she was pregnant with David when her Uncle died). Its not shocking Harry has it as a middle name. Heck Edward has Edward as a first name (David was only the very last of Edward VIII's names even if he was known by it in the family).

I dont rule out Andrew. Think more likely as a middle name. A lot of people prefer to give their children an original first name, and honor family in the middle names. Especially when the family member is alive. I could see them honoring both grandfathers in the middle name.

I mean we have a broad spectrum of names in the royal family. Some modern, and some more 'classical' but unexpected. We see it in the aristocracy too.

I mean between non-heir grandchildren, minor Windsors and the aristocratic families we have a mix of very 'popular names' and classical names which have gone out of fashion.

classical (not so common):
-Cassius
-Eloise
-Estella
-Columbus
-Maud (royal but definitely not common one chosen)
-Leopold
-Albert (like Maude and Leopold, royal connection but old fashioned, not so commonly used as a first name in recent decades)
-Archie

more popular:
-Savannah
-Mia
-Isla
-Lena

Among the aristocratic we see the same kind of mix. If you look at the nieces and nephews of the current Duke of Westminster you have classic names like Louis, and more popular names like Jake, Isla, Wolf, Orla and Zia. The Duke and Duchess of Northumberland's first grandchild is Romy.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:36 PM
Majesty

It's the first time I read that 'Archie' is considered a classical name. I thought it was considered a nickname for Archibald but not classical. And I believe Frederick's daughter is called Maud instead of Maude.

I would add 'Lena' also to the non-classical names.

My guess is that Jack and Eugenie will pick a traditional name as seems a bit more common among the Kents than the Gloucesters or the Mountbatten-Windsors except for William and Catherine.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:47 PM
Courtier

To Countessmeout post 61. No I heard no reference to J t R, it was an example. Since Andrew is not the flavor of the year. What I wanted to say is , they can name their bundle of joy what ever they like. Maybe he is called Philip George Andrew Stamp,if girl the female version of the names. I just want this this little one to be healthy and it will be loved. That's all.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Jack's nephew's (his brother Thomas' son) name is Wilfred Stamp Ewing Brooksbank. He was born in 7th July this year. I think it's highly unlikely the Jack and Eugenie are naming their child Wilfred (if the baby is a boy). There is the possibility of Stamp as a middle name, given that it is Jack's paternal grandfather's first name. I'm not quite sure where Ewing stems from though.
https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/202...-princess.html
Jack's sister-in-law is named:
Amy Louise Ewing Brooksbank [nee Rodgers, born 1988]

Her father's name is Timothy Alexander Ewing Rodgers.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:44 AM
Serene Highness

According to BetVictor UK, Alice (for a girl) and Arthur or Henry (for a boy) are all at 9/1 odds. Honey Channel 9 Australia and Daily Mail have picked the betting up. Other names included:

If the baby is a girl:
  • Alice: 9/1
  • Grace: 14/1
  • Victoria: 14/1
  • Alexandra: 14/1
  • Diana: 18/1
  • Isabella: 22/1

If the baby is a boy:
  • Arthur: 9/1
  • Henry: 9/1
  • Thomas: 12/1
  • Godfrey: 14/1
  • George: 18/1
  • Charles: 20/1

https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/pri...1-8259322fd23b
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...call-baby.html

Some of these bettings and names could be very off. I remembered Louis' name announcement was quite unexpected, because "Arthur" and "Albert" were quite popular amongst the bookies. The one name that stood out to me is Godfrey.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
According to BetVictor UK, Alice (for a girl) and Arthur or Henry (for a boy) are all at 9/1 odds. Honey Channel 9 Australia and Daily Mail have picked the betting up. Other names included:

If the baby is a girl:
  • Alice: 9/1
  • Grace: 14/1
  • Victoria: 14/1
  • Alexandra: 14/1
  • Diana: 18/1
  • Isabella: 22/1

If the baby is a boy:
  • Arthur: 9/1
  • Henry: 9/1
  • Thomas: 12/1
  • Godfrey: 14/1
  • George: 18/1
  • Charles: 20/1

https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/pri...1-8259322fd23b
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...call-baby.html

Some of these bettings and names could be very off. I remembered Louis' name announcement was quite unexpected, because "Arthur" and "Albert" were quite popular amongst the bookies. The one name that stood out to me is Godfrey.
They are always off. The girls names seem to be the same ones up for the Cambridge and Harry's kids if they had a girl. A mix of popular names and popular royal names. Grace and Diana and such certainly were. I dont know George even made the list, I dont see Eugenie naming her kid the same thing as William named his son.

I agree no clue where Godfrey came from.

To compare:

The name bets for Louis

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/royalty...e-betting-odds

Mary/Alice/Victoria and Alexander/Arthur were the top choices for the baby.

Archie

https://www.thecut.com/2019/05/megha...aby-names.html

Diana/Alice/Victoria for girl, Arthur/James/Alexander for a boy.

Odd names like Allegra pop up from time to time.

People seem intent on an Arthur Windsor.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:17 AM
Majesty

I would like to see Jack's brother Thomas Brooksbank be a godfather.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
I would like to see Jack's brother Thomas Brooksbank be a godfather.
In the RF, there seems to be a tendency to choose cousins or friends as godparents, rather than siblings.

I think it's because the siblings already have a close relationship with the child.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
In the RF, there seems to be a tendency to choose cousins or friends as godparents, rather than siblings.

I think it's because the siblings already have a close relationship with the child.
I found this archived website with sources from The Times (which I think is accurate). I think from Prince Andrew onwards, the royals' godparents are distant cousins, aunts and uncles (closest is first cousin) rather than the parents' siblings and parents (baby's grandparents). The website goes to the grandchildren and some grandchildren-in-law of the Sovereign, but not beyond great-grandchildren, which would be more difficult to find. David Armstrong-Jones, 2nd Earl of Snowdon and Lady Sarah Chatto were not on the website either.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110806...m#Christenings

I think there are some exceptions, where the royal has a godparent, who is the immediate family member to his/her parents. These are the examples that I could have find.
  • Prince Harry has Prince Andrew as his godfather
  • David Armstrong-Jones, 2nd Earl of Snowdon has The Queen as his godmother (according to Princess Margaret: A Biography by Theo Aronson, Thistle Publishing, I actually found it in wikipedia)

P.s. You have to scroll the Royal Christenings page towards the bottom third, because it started at George I (and ends with Lady Louise Windsor)!!! Yvonne Demoskoff (the author of the blog) has written a lot of information on Christening (Cake, Baby's gown, church).
Old 11-06-2020, 12:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
If there are kids in Coronation Street or Eastenders called Albert, can't exaclty see them choosing the name.
Eastenders has an Albert obsession because of Albert Square, the Vic and the Prince Albert bar . Then Ian Albert Beale , (Al)Bert Moon and now Albie (who was initially was named Kayden ).
Old 11-06-2020, 01:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by akina21 View Post
Eastenders has an Albert obsession because of Albert Square, the Vic and the Prince Albert bar . Then Ian Albert Beale , (Al)Bert Moon and now Albie (who was initially was named Kayden ).
I'll take your word for it.. but it would put me off using a name if it was popular in that programme.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:20 PM
Majesty

Would 'Julia' be an option for the British upper class? See this family tree.

If not, Celia might be a modern twist of a more traditional name. Celia is Jack's paternal grandmother; and the traditional version, Cecilia, is the name of the queen's maternal grandmother).
Old 11-06-2020, 05:50 PM
Nobility

Wow! I'm surprised the favourite names are not Sarah Nikola and Andrew George.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:30 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
I would think that Eugenie and Jack would want to avoid Andrew in the name, despite him being her father. It won't bode well for PR.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-06-2020, 11:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think their first or even second or third concern will be PR in naming their child. No issue using Andrew as a middle name (they aren't likely to use any of the parents' names as a first name really).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Would 'Julia' be an option for the British upper class? See this family tree.

If not, Celia might be a modern twist of a more traditional name. Celia is Jack's paternal grandmother; and the traditional version, Cecilia, is the name of the queen's maternal grandmother).
And both are a form of Cecily which is a name from the York royal days.

There are some Julia's among the nobility and upper crust. Not sure its either classical or trendy enough to fit one of the two categories their circle seem to go with right now though.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:12 AM
Courtier

If it's a girl - Victoria?
Old 11-07-2020, 05:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I don't think their first or even second or third concern will be PR in naming their child. No issue using Andrew as a middle name (they aren't likely to use any of the parents' names as a first name really).

And both are a form of Cecily which is a name from the York royal days.

There are some Julia's among the nobility and upper crust. Not sure its either classical or trendy enough to fit one of the two categories their circle seem to go with right now though.
No, Celia is a different name to Cecilia. Celia comes from the Latin meaning Heaven and Cecilia means blind.
Julia is one of Q Alexandras names and is "upper class" but rather old fashioned I think..I think Julie has been used more and more....
Old 11-07-2020, 07:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
Is it that surprising? Plenty of people don't name their kids directly after their grandparents like that. Their cousins have of course used many family names (William and Kate more than once) but the closest they they've come to "Andrew George" is "Charlotte Elizabeth Diana" where they gender flipped the name of her grandfather. You might just as well wonder if they'll call a boy Nicholas or a girl Andrea Georgina.

I don't think they'll be considering PR or optics as a priority since this baby will live a life comparable to the younger Kents and Gloucesters but at the same time there's no need to use Andrew or Andrea to honour the baby's grandfather unless they really love the name because it would draw a lot of unnecessary controversy.

I like the name Julia and I actually know a little girl by the name but it is considered a bit old fashioned. Which makes it perfectly on trend these days
Old 11-07-2020, 08:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Is it that surprising? Plenty of people don't name their kids directly after their grandparents like that. Their cousins have of course used many family names (William and Kate more than once) but the closest they they've come to "Andrew George" is "Charlotte Elizabeth Diana" where they gender flipped the name of her grandfather. You might just as well wonder if they'll call a boy Nicholas or a girl Andrea Georgina.

I don't think they'll be considering PR or optics as a priority since this baby will live a life comparable to the younger Kents and Gloucesters but at the same time there's no need to use Andrew or Andrea to honour the baby's grandfather unless they really love the name because it would draw a lot of unnecessary controversy.

I like the name Julia and I actually know a little girl by the name but it is considered a bit old fashioned. Which makes it perfectly on trend these days
Im sure they wont use Andrew, if they really want to mention Andrew they can use one of his 4 names....
Old 11-07-2020, 02:37 PM
Courtier

I don't understand why people try to influence them maybe the wrong word, as to what name they give to their child, by tweets or what ever. It is their child Eugenie and Jack are raising the little one, no one and I mean no one will pay for the child's upbringing schooling and what ever else their need is, sure not the Taxpayer. If they want to name the child after the Grandfather or Great grandfather or after the female side of the family it is their choice not anyone else's. One of my children has a French first name and a Greek middle name, I was told they need to be called what is popular or traditional in my husbands Country. We asked them if they are paying for this child until Adulthood? They became quiet vulgar. My or our responds was to tell them politely TMTOB. No more was said.

Tags
baby names, jack brooksbank, princess eugenie