Names and Godparents for Eugenie and Jack's First child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Possibly not till Covid is much diminished....

Could be an early summer Christening.
St George's chapel Windsor perhaps would be an wonderful choice seeing as the wedding took place there.

So nice that Eugenie (and Jack) are doing the Royal thing, and letting us share in their happiness. They have not kept us waiting for the name, and we have a delightful family photo of them and their baby.

On the pronunciation of the name! I find I can't just say it in the English way of stressing the first syllable (Awe) and then swallowing the second (gst) - Awe-gst. I am swithering between the two European ways - ow-goost or awe-goost. Hmm.

Has there been any mention of Jack's parents and their happiness about Master August?

Has there been any mention of Jack's parents and their happiness about Master August?

Yes as is custom, the Brooksbanks were included in the official statement.

The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Duke of York, Sarah, Duchess of York, and Mr and Mrs George Brooksbank have been informed and are delighted with the news.

Could be an early summer Christening.
St George's chapel Windsor perhaps would be an wonderful choice seeing as the wedding took place there.

Or if they are just having a small family baptism due to covid they could do it at Sandringham where Eugenie herself was baptized.

St George's chapel is a bit much for a royal baptism (even a normal one and covid small, are private and not large occasions). Even George who is the future king was baptized at St James, which is far smaller then St George's.

Wouldn't the Royal Chapel of All Saints be the perfect location? The queen and duke of Edinburgh might even be able to attend if regulations soften...

I have to say, that is an adorable baby and I'm so thrilled that we got to see so many lovely pictures of him along with his parents. As for his name, I kind of love it. I'd never in a million years have predicted it (other than Philip, I did predict that along with so many others here) and I don't think I'd ever have chosen August for my own children but as a historian, I adore the historical links. I'm so thrilled that Eugenie and Jack really pulled deeply from their own family histories for his name and I think it was a beautiful gesture to include the DoE. It certainly does give a renewed interest in the lovely wedding photo of Jack and Eugenie alongside the portrait of Prince Albert. I wonder if this name might have long been on their short list even before their marriage?

Handsome name.

I think the first syllable of the name is emphasized and pronounced to rhyme with Corgi and York.

August Philip Hawke Brooksbank looks absolutely, Snugglepot, adorable.
How lovely to see a picture.

His name reminds me of great artists and fine minds. It is a very European choice.
Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Auguste Rodin, August Strindberg, August Horch,

Lucky number eight is associated with August. His Aunt Beatrice, of course, being born on 8:8:88.
August(us) was also the name of the first Roman emperor, as well used as a title for the following emperors. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustus

Wouldn't the Royal Chapel of All Saints be the perfect location? The queen and duke of Edinburgh might even be able to attend if regulations soften...

Doubt it. Esp Philip is going ot have to be careful from now on...

Maybe the venue will depend on where they are living?
When the lockdown ends, will they remain at Frogmore Cottage, or return to London?
Will Eugenie keep her job? Lots of things to consider.

When her maternal leave ends, she will return to the job, like all working mothers in the UK and all over the world.

The name August is a unique name, not common and can be used in girls and boys apparently. I was watching an old interview clip of the South African actress Charlize Theron, then she mentioned her daughter named August; and I was "oh, where did I hear that name before". If it wasn't for E&J's baby, maybe I wouldn't have remembered Charlize's daughter's name.

Last edited:
When her maternal leave ends, she will return to the job, like all working mothers in the UK and all over the world.
Or she will stop working and become a stay-at-home mom, doing some charity things :flowers: (As, may I add, many mothers all around the world)

We simply do not know about Eugenie's plans. And there's nothing wrong with staying home after one has a child.

Or she will stop working and become a stay-at-home mom, doing some charity things :flowers: (As, may I add, many mothers all around the world)

We simply do not know about Eugenie's plans. And there's nothing wrong with staying home after one has a child.

And there is nothing wrong either with returning to work after having a child if a mother chooses to do so...

When a woman stays home to care for her children, it's a mess of different careers piled into one. Nurse, diplomat, chauffer, teacher, chef and probably a lot more I'm not thinking of at the moment. Long hours, big rewards. :D

Eugenie will do what she feels is right for her and her family.

And there is nothing wrong either with returning to work after having a child if a mother chooses to do so...
Of course not, there is absolutely nothing wrong with returning to work as well! :flowers: I was just disagreeing with a statement that all working mothers come back to work, as I'm sure all the families make decisions based on the wellbeing of the family, weather it's returning to work full time, working part-time or staying home with their child.

Princess Eugenie may stay at home for quite a while. Eventually she may return to work. However, when she returns, she may first work for a short while. Then as the weeks and months progress she may increase her work schedule.

We also know that Eugenie, like everyone else in the UK is entitled to 39 weeks maternity leave at 90% of her full-time salary (unless she earns less than £151.20 per week) so she has plenty of time before having to make her decision about working or staying at home or a mix of both.

I really love the name they picked for their son. It has meaning since he's named in honor of relatives. To me it looks and feels classic but modern at the same time.

I also like that it is evocative of his mother’s name, with the “U” and “G” sounds...a link they will always share.

I also like that it is evocative of his mother’s name, with the “U” and “G” sounds...a link they will always share.

The names don't sound alike though. While they have common letters, the way the letters sound are not the same.

She is U-jenny basically.

August is more Aw-gust.

:previous:

Love that clip of Ruth Langsford and Eamonn Holmes bickering (like a couple) on how to pronounce Princess Eugenie, before Chris Ship entering the conversation looking a bit fed up and confused! I cannot stop watching that clip especially looking at Chris Ship's face when he walked in :lol: :D ?

According to a Telegraph article, her name is pronounced as "yoo-juh-nee" with emphasis on the "yoo". Princess Eugenie reportedly told The Telegraph that she used to tell foreign people who were struggling to pronounce her name that it sounded like "Use Your Knees". But then Eugenie is not too bothered and got used to the mispronunciations.

Princess Eugenie: Little Princess Sunshine
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/features/3635823/Princess-Eugenie-Little-Princess-Sunshine.html

The Town & Country has picked up some of the content from The Telegraph

Back in a 2008 interview, the Telegraph reported that her name is actually pronounced "yoo-juh-nee," with an emphasis on the "yoo."

When the 28-year-old royal spoke with the Telegraph she didn't seem to be too bothered as she's gotten used to the various mispronunciations. "Whenever we used to meet foreign people who were struggling with it, my mum and I would help them by saying, 'It's like Use Your Knees.' But whatever. I am now used to every pronunciation," she told the publication.

She also made note of the fact that many of her friends call her by the nickname "Youj" or "Bouj." Eugenie's name is particularly tricky when you take into account that other members of the royal family, including her sister Princess Beatrice, have fairly simple names.

Here's How You Really Pronounce Princess Eugenie's Name
It's about time we started saying it right.
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a21270813/princess-eugenie-name-pronunciation/

I think August will be pronounced in the same way as British English to make things easier. If not, I hope there is some sort of rhyme (like "Use Your Knees") to make me pronounce correctly :cool: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom