Names and Godparents for Eugenie and Jack's First child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Neither do Eugenie and Jack (live in Australia). It may be an Australian custom, but my point was merely that his "mouthful" name doesn't have to be a problem per se.

Its the same in ENgland.. even relatively short names are often shortened...

Well, none of us had August on our Bingo card. I’m happy that Philip is being used in the baby’s name.

:flowers: I didn't see anyone guess it. I didn't come close. And I was pleased they released an actual picture - it annoys me when celebrities release a picture of their hands, or their feet. If you don't want to release one don't. If you do then just release a picture.

Well, okay, abbreviations-a-plenty then. I just think the name of August is not in need of an abbreviation. I'm in love with the name and find it somewhat a pity that nicknames and the likes are already being discussed, that's why I kind of defend it :D Some names IMO are too nice for shortening.
But I'll leave it to his parents :lol:

Last edited:
I quite like the names, traditional roots but current. It's sweet that they really thought things through and honored their families.

I don't know if I read it here but someone mentioned Bridgerton and said maybe the couple could follow the fictional family's naming style and start with an A. LOL :D

It's a lovely picture. I understand that they didn't want to release a full photo on the day he was born, before their family and friends had had chance to see photos, but it's nice to see an ordinary parents plus baby photo where you can actually see the baby's face, not just hands or feet or whatever.

It's a lovely picture. I understand that they didn't want to release a full photo on the day he was born, before their family and friends had had chance to see photos, but it's nice to see an ordinary parents plus baby photo where you can actually see the baby's face, not just hands or feet or whatever.
From the start I expected them to release pictures and a name at some point. It took a little while longer probably because Eugenie only returned home with little August last weekend but now close family and friends have had the opportunity to somehow (mostly or completely digitally I assume) 'meet' August, they are ready to share him with the world.

Just like Anne's grandchildren I expect we'll see him from time to time, so looking forward to watching him grow up over the years. It's wonderful to see his parents' happiness; and I hope he will bring them much more joy over the days, months and years to come.

:flowers: I didn't see anyone guess it. I didn't come close. And I was pleased they released an actual picture - it annoys me when celebrities release a picture of their hands, or their feet. If you don't want to release one don't. If you do then just release a picture.

The only name posters had suggested that was chosen is Philip, but that was an easy guess.

No one could have come up with the other names aside from Eugenie and Jack. LOL

:yorkrose:

The only name posters had suggested that was chosen is Philip, but that was an easy guess.

No one could have come up with the other names aside from Eugenie and Jack. LOL

:yorkrose:

Yes, I love it that while picking a somewhat traditional family name, nobody guessed right. I hope they enjoyed knowing that the bookies and all of us were completely wrong in our guesses (other than the not too hard to guess Philip) :D

The couple may have selected Hawke in honor of Jack's ancestor Rev. Edward Hawke Brooksbank.

Rev. Edward Hawke Brooksbank (1789-1883) > Edward Brooksbank (1826-1916) > Sir Edward Clitherow Brooksbank 1st Baronet (1858-1943) > Edward York Brooksbank (1888-1935) > Capt. Stamp Godfrey Brooksbank (1922-2017) > George Edward Hugh Brooksbank (b. 1949) > Jack Christopher Stamp Brooksbank (b. 1986) > August Philip Hawke Brooksbank (b. 2021).

Several of Eugenie's German ancestors were named August including August Duke of Saxe-Gotha (1772-1822), the maternal grandfather of Prince Albert.

August Duke of Saxe-Gotha (1772-1822) > Luise Duchess of Saxe-Coburg (1800-1831) > Albert Prince Consort (1819-1861) > Edward VII (1841-1910) > George V (1865-1936) > George VI (1895-1952) > Elizabeth II (b. 1926) > Andrew Duke of York (b. 1960) > Eugenie (b. 1990) > August Philip Hawke Brooksbank (b. 2021)

Last edited:
why not just call him Albert? Then everyone would know whom he was called for.

Maybe because August is not just a nod to Prince Albert and the Saxe-Coburgs , but also to the Hanoverians and the BRF’s broader German roots?

Also August could be read as an adjunct to Philip in the Roman tradition although it would have been more common in that context to use Philip August rather than August Philip.

Last edited:
Maybe they like the name August but not Albert.

Exactly.

And on another note, August was also part of the name of another son of King George III. That son was King Ernst-August of Hanover.

I LOVE it! Dignified, non trendy and Royal. Not sure about " Hawke" but it makes sense why they would use it. August Philip is perfect.;)

ETA: According to People Magazine, baby August was delivered by Caesarian section due to Princess Eugenie's scoliosis. But i thought the scoliosis had been corrected through surgery?

Anyway, that would explain the princess's 3 day hospital stay.

Last edited:
When I think of the name August I think of August Belmont, millionaire and horse breeder of the most renowned racehorse in History, Man O'War. The Belmont Stakes is named for him. ANd his wife was a great patron of the arts. Nice name. I think HM might think of August Belmont since she's an expert on thoroughbred racing.

Last edited:
I LOVE it! Dignified, non trendy and Royal. Not sure about " Hawke" but it makes sense why they would use it. August Philip is perfect.;)

ETA: According to People Magazine, baby August was delivered by Caesarian section due to Princess Eugenie's scoliosis. But i thought the scoliosis had been corrected through surgery?

It has, but possibly the labour could have impact on the rods in her spine, so I suppose the C-section was purely for safety. It's a good thing to consider that this could be a consequence of having had a spinal fusion.

Last edited:
Interesting. Is the family related to Ethan Hawke?

Interesting. Is the family related to Ethan Hawke?

Not as far as anyone knows and it probably would have come out by now from people doing his family tree. It was used as his 5 x great grandfather's middle name and was probably a surname from a maternal side at some point.

They were probably just looking up various family names and found two that they liked, that were conveniently symmetrical from the same generation.

I like August. Like someone else said here, it's a strong name, and it actually has a meaning as an English word ("respected and impressive").

And while I definitely would not have expected August, I can understand why they went back to Prince Albert because the Yorks have always been big fans of Albert and Victoria, so if I *had* guessed a name beforehand, I'd have said Albert.

Princess Beatrice is named after Queen Victoria's youngest daughter and Eugenie's middle names are Victoria and Helena (after another of Queen Victoria's daughters). Also, Sarah has written a book/made a movie about Albert and Victoria and has discussed making a future movie about Prince Albert.

Last edited:
A form of August was also one of Prince Albert's names so that must be the five times great grandfather reference on the mother's side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert,_Prince_Consort

Yes, see several of the posts in this and the 'it's a boy for...' thread. That was very clear as Eugenie apparently explained that they picked one of prince Albert's names as she was named after his wife queen Victoria.

Last edited:
The couple may have selected Hawke in honor of Jack's ancestor Rev. Edward Hawke Brooksbank.

Rev. Edward Hawke Brooksbank (1789-1883) > Edward Brooksbank (1826-1916) > Sir Edward Clitherow Brooksbank 1st Baronet (1858-1943) > Edward York Brooksbank (1888-1935) > Capt. Stamp Godfrey Brooksbank (1922-2017) > George Edward Hugh Brooksbank (b. 1949) > Jack Christopher Stamp Brooksbank (b. 1986) > August Philip Hawke Brooksbank (b. 2021).

Several of Eugenie's German ancestors were named August including August Duke of Saxe-Gotha (1772-1822), the maternal grandfather of Prince Albert.

August Duke of Saxe-Gotha (1772-1822) > Luise Duchess of Saxe-Coburg (1800-1831) > Albert Prince Consort (1819-1861) > Edward VII (1841-1910) > George V (1865-1936) > George VI (1895-1952) > Elizabeth II (b. 1926) > Andrew Duke of York (b. 1960) > Eugenie (b. 1990) > August Philip Hawke Brooksbank (b. 2021)
Eugenie herself explained that August and Hawke are after '5x great-grandfathers', so we know for sure what each name is referring to:

August: Prince Francis Albert Augustus Charles Emmanuel (in German: Franz Albrecht August Karl Emanuel) (prince consort of queen Victoria)
Philip: The Duke of Edinburgh
Hawke: Rev. Edward Hawke Brooksbank

I wonder whether PEOPLE has a source for it; or that TRF was used as a source as that was already suggested by one of the members when I wondered why Eugenie stayed in hospital for several days (this explanation immediately made sense to me).

Eugenie has obviously wanted to show respect to her grandfather, when you think of her wedding, all the old enough great grand children were in the bridal party which was so lovely for the queen and Philip. She is a thoughtful young woman,

I'm a traditionalist myself so I'm very happy the couple chose family names.
Eugenie herself explained that August and Hawke are after '5x great-grandfathers', so we know for sure what each name is referring to:

August: Prince Francis Albert Augustus Charles Emmanuel (in German: Franz Albrecht August Karl Emanuel) (prince consort of queen Victoria)
Philip: The Duke of Edinburgh
Hawke: Rev. Edward Hawke Brooksbank

Great strong names for the little one. Family history connected. I must say little August Phillip Hawk is a cutie. Happy little family. Best wishes to them.

Back
Top Bottom