Names and godparents for Beatrice and Edo's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In fact, Princess Eugenie herself wasn’t christened until she was 9 months old and the christening gown was a tight fit! The delay was due to Andrew being away as a naval flight commander.

I am hoping for Alice Victoria Elizabeth for the baby’s name.

Yes, and because Eugenie was far too big to wear it those those in charge of taking care of the gown were apparently not best pleased as it came back torn in places. No other royal baby ever wore it again beyond a certain age so I think little August may have missed his chance unless he has already been christened and we just don't know about it.

There was quiet a bit of concern about Lady Louise been allowed to wear the gown, due to frailty and damage. But she was small and the where is was unable to be fasten Sophie kept a blanket to cover the problem.
However Angela Kelly had already been commissioned to make 2 replica gowns - I have always wondered if they are different sizes. Could it be that there is a gown that might still fit Lily, August and Lukus in Windsor?

The original christening gown is no longer worn. One or more replicas has been made and worn by later royal babies.

There was quiet a bit of concern about Lady Louise been allowed to wear the gown, due to frailty and damage. But she was small and the where is was unable to be fasten Sophie kept a blanket to cover the problem.
However Angela Kelly had already been commissioned to make 2 replica gowns - I have always wondered if they are different sizes. Could it be that there is a gown that might still fit Lily, August and Lukus in Windsor?

I don't think they were made in different sizes as Sarah gave an interview to Hello magazine where she said that August was going to wear the gown at his original christening but that it may not happen now because he's getting too big.

I wonder why they don't inform us of the name of the little girl.

They don't have to do so.

It took 11 days for August's name to be announced, 14 days for Beatrice's and a month for Charles' name.

Beatrice is way more private than Eugenie so I am not surprised at no name or pictures. I hope we get a name in the next month or so but I am not expecting even the partial images we have had of August - a bit of head here etc.

Yes, and because Eugenie was far too big to wear it those those in charge of taking care of the gown were apparently not best pleased as it came back torn in places. No other royal baby ever wore it again beyond a certain age so I think little August may have missed his chance unless he has already been christened and we just don't know about it.

Yeah I think the gown has long been replaced due to wear & tear.
I believe Lady Louise(?) was the last royal to wear it.

Beatrice does seem to like things low-key and private, but surely they'll announce the name at some point. Maybe they can't make their minds up!

Beatrice does seem to like things low-key and private, but surely they'll announce the name at some point. Maybe they can't make their minds up!

IIRC there wasn't an official announcement for Savannah Phillips' name. It wasn't until she was added to the church "prayer list" of royal family members that anyone had a clue as to what her name was. So, if Beatrice is wanting privacy, there may not ever be an official announcement. :flowers:

I am almost 100% certain that at almost two weeks old, the Mapelli Mozzi baby has a name.

But what with the negative mood in press and public toward her father and the non-stop sniping that Beatrice receives from all sides regarding her looks, her marriage and her husband's personal life, she might not be in the mood to share anything about her child.

Especially since she is not funded by the taxpayers and isn't compelled to.

Is it a rather petulant attitude to have? Yes it is.
But I also understand (if that is what's going on):ermm:

From checking the news threads for previous births of grandchildren to Queen Elizabeth's younger children, it seems there is no convention for the timing of a name announcement, as they have ranged from being mentioned in the announcement of the birth (Isla Phillips and Lucas Tindall) to being revealed by the parent on social media 9 days (Lena Tindall) or 11 days (August Brooksbank) after the birth. Thus, the Mapelli Mozzis are not flouting any particular protocol.

I am almost 100% certain that at almost two weeks old, the Mapelli Mozzi baby has a name.

But what with the negative mood in press and public toward her father and the non-stop sniping that Beatrice receives from all sides regarding her looks, her marriage and her husband's personal life, she might not be in the mood to share anything about her child.

Especially since she is not funded by the taxpayers and isn't compelled to.

Is it a rather petulant attitude to have? Yes it is.
But I also understand (if that is what's going on):ermm:

Why is it petulant? I feel it is more that royals watchers are quite entitled. She doesn't owe anyone anything, let alone anything about her child. I hope she keep it to herself for a while.

:previous: Agreed.

To add to that, I know many people who were well aware of what gender they were expecting and still were undecided on the name after two weeks, so I don't think it's at all unlikely that baby girl isn't actually named yet. I'm more surprised with the royals (and just people in general) who have a name ready right away.

And I gotta say, people that are frustrated with the no name confirmation after less than two weeks would never have the stamina to follow the DRF who always wait to release the name till the christening :lol:

:previous:

I do not know how the British civil registration works but isn't there a time limit within which you have to register the baby & name? In the Netherlands that is set at 3 days.

I just had another thought on a name for the baby girl. In honor of her father, whom she loves very much, she may go for the name Andrea. It's a very pretty name too. ?

I'm just sitting back thinking I'll know the baby's name when I know it and it doesn't bother me at all that it hasn't been announced yet.

Why is it petulant? I feel it is more that royals watchers are quite entitled. She doesn't owe anyone anything, let alone anything about her child. I hope she keep it to herself for a while.

I actually agree with you. My point was that IF Beatrice is not feeling inclined to share info at this point, I would not blame her at all.

:previous:

I do not know how the British civil registration works but isn't there a time limit within which you have to register the baby & name? In the Netherlands that is set at 3 days.

I have no idea how the British system is either. But 3 days? That's so wild to me. Not nearly enough time to get to know the baby to know if the name is right for them or not, in my opinion. I'd definitely panic and end up going with a name that wasn't right for the baby if I only got a couple of days ? In Denmark, we get 6 (!) months to decide.

Last edited:
Interesting.
I can't imagine not having a name picked out beforehand. Every one I know well who's had a child had a name picked out before the birth.
And I can't imagine anything about an infant changing anyone's mind about a name.

I wonder if Beatrice will go for the name that was originally intended for her by Sarah when she was born: Annabelle.

I can. Yes, lists are made during pregnancy almost always. And prospective parents often have their own preferences and sometimes just can’t agree. Family pressures from grandparents come into it as well, especially with middle names. And sometimes parents take a look at their baby and say, ‘That name we picked out is too ethereal, stolid, prosaic etc for this baby. Back to the list!’

And with royals and semi-royals and their offspring especially, I can imagine the pressures to get it right are intense.

I wonder if Beatrice will go for the name that was originally intended for her by Sarah when she was born: Annabelle.

I think the name Annabelle has gone out of style a good bit since the 1980s/90s. I can’t see Beatrice and Edo choosing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I sure hope so. I don't like it at all.:sad:

I can. Yes, lists are made during pregnancy almost always. And prospective parents often have their own preferences and sometimes just can’t agree. Family pressures from grandparents come into it as well, especially with middle names. And sometimes parents take a look at their baby and say, ‘That name we picked out is too ethereal, stolid, prosaic etc for this baby. Back to the list!’

And with royals and semi-royals and their offspring especially, I can imagine the pressures to get it right are intense.

Reminds me of the old Dick Van Dyke show where in one episode, the kid finds his birth certificate and wants to know why his middle name is Rosebud. It was made up of the first initials of 7 people close to the parents

I'm one that had the names picked out before delivery and stuck with them.

If she's announced the baby's birth, I dont see why she shouldnt announce the name at some stage... but she's living a fairly private life so probalby not for a bit

I saw on my internet feed that Prince Andrew has left Balmoral and is returning home to his house at Windsor. He has not yet seen the baby. Maybe they are waiting for him to see the baby before they announce the name.

I have no idea how the British system is either. But 3 days? That's so wild to me. Not nearly enough time to get to know the baby to know if the name is right for them or not, in my opinion. I'd definitely panic and end up going with a name that wasn't right for the baby if I only got a couple of days ? In Denmark, we get 6 (!) months to decide.

Heu, a pregnancy lasts 9 months, in the eye of Napoléon (who initiated this three-day-rule in the then French-occupied Netherlands) plenty of time to think about a name.

:D

but its not the same as actually seeing the baby and deciding if the names you like suit him or her....

I was told they are already at home and the baby has already been registered. is this open to public to see
So Baby has been named. Personally I think we will get the baby's name from friends soon, nothing official. Maybe instagram or something.

Last edited:
I was told they are already at home and the baby has already been registered. is this open to public to see
So Baby has been named. Personally I think we will get the baby's name from friends soon, nothing official. Maybe instagram or something.

I think you can register a baby's birth without giving a name... AFAIK you can apply to see a birth certificate

Back
Top Bottom