Names and godparents for Beatrice and Edo's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the name Alice and Victoria.

I believe that Elizabeth will be in her name somewhere.

Anticipated a girl and think the name might be Alessandra Victoria Elizabeth

Anticipated a girl and think the name might be Alessandra Victoria Elizabeth

This would be lovely.

Alice would be an interesting choice as the English and Italian pronunciation is quite different. Edoardo has a sister named Natalia Alice but I don't know if they are close. His mother is named Nicola so maybe they will work that into the name.

I'm thinking a form of Sarah like maybe Sarai somewhere in the name.

I have no guesses on godparents but I'm curious if Edoardo is Catholic or Protestant.

Last edited:
I feel Beatrice is conservative , so I expect a traditional British upper-class name with a royal connection, but probably a nod to Edo’s Italian heritage too.

My overtired brain is going to take a stab at this. I'm thinking the name will be some form of Sarah's mother's name, Susan with perhaps a Italian twist.
Maybe Susanna as Susan in Italian is Susanna? To follow her big brother lead, an girl's "animal" name like her brother has "Woolf" and is called Wolfie. There's an Italian girl's name I like. Aviana. "Common in Italian, French, Portuguese, and Arabic, this name means “like a bird.” So that could mean she's up before dawn to catch the worm, or that she wants to fly from the treetops."

So that's my scatterbrain guess. I would *not* ever put any money on these names. You're sure to be disappointed. Come to think of it, it's one too many names ending with "a" in a row. Hmmmm... will rethink this. :D

My overtired brain is going to take a stab at this. I'm thinking the name will be some form of Sarah's mother's name, Susan with perhaps a Italian twist.
Maybe Susanna as Susan in Italian is Susanna? To follow her big brother lead, an girl's "animal" name like her brother has "Woolf" and is called Wolfie. There's an Italian girl's name I like. Aviana. "Common in Italian, French, Portuguese, and Arabic, this name means “like a bird.” So that could mean she's up before dawn to catch the worm, or that she wants to fly from the treetops."

So that's my scatterbrain guess. I would *not* ever put any money on these names. You're sure to be disappointed. Come to think of it, it's one too many names ending with "a" in a row. Hmmmm... will rethink this. :D

Or, to stick with English-language words... Wren, Lark, Robin...

If His Son didn’t receive name with any Italian influence I doubt the baby girl will either and they don’t seem fanciful type about naming IMO. I would guess Elizabeth and or Sarah will be included if anything

I think if the baby girl gets an Italian name, it will probably be directly taken from her father's Italian ancestor, rather than an Italian version of her British/non Italian ancestor's name (I like the name Alessandra and Elisabetta though).

My grandniece is named Susanna, they called her Sus for awhile then switched to Suzie.

I am sure Elizabeth will be in there, and I’m thinking Celia or Cecelia too for Philip (as a nod to his sister.)

Nicole perhaps (after Edo’s mother.)

The difficulty with trying to read likely names from Wolfie’s is that we don’t know (to my knowledge) what Edo picked and what was his mother’s choice. Maybe some parents do genuinely like the same names but it’s often a compromise.

Somebody’s a traditionalist I suppose as having the first name Christopher but going by Wolfie is similar in a way to Harry’s first name being Henry.

I am sure Elizabeth will be in there, and I’m thinking Celia or Cecelia too for Philip (as a nod to his sister.)

The difficulty with trying to read likely names from Wolfie’s is that we don’t know (to my knowledge) what Edo picked and what was his mother’s choice. Maybe some parents do genuinely like the same names but it’s often a compromise.

Somebody’s a traditionalist I suppose as having the first name Christopher but going by Wolfie is similar in a way to Harry’s first name being Henry.

What is the connection between Christopher and Wolfie? I thought it the anglicized version of Wolfgang, or the anglicized version of Guelfo in Italian (better known as Welf in German).

Christopher is for Christopher Shale, Edo's stepfather who he was very close to. IIRC the press claimed Woolf came from a book or a play (not Virginia Woolf I don't think).

I would definitely guess something traditional and family based, although maybe with a twist.

Alice is also his sister Natalia's middle name for what that's worth to the betting pool.

I agree Cecilia/any variants would be a possible choice, but not because of Philip's sister (a bit too far IMO). It's actually a name used by ancestors from both side (QM's mother, as well as one of Edo's Italian ancestor from the Mapelli family).

Last edited:
Andrea is a girl's name in many English speaking countries. I have taught many girls named Andrea over my 40 years of teaching in Australia.

It is worth remembering, I think, that the new Miss Mapelli Mozzi is only as much Italian as her mother Princess Beatrice is Greek. Edo Mapelli Mozzi is a native-born Briton who has lived in the United Kingdom throughout his life and travels exclusively on a British passport. His father Alex Mapelli Mozzi was born and raised in Argentina, sent to the UK as a teenager in 1963, and naturalized as a British citizen. Edo's mother Nikki Williams-Ellis, née Burrows, is, as far as I have read, not of Italian descent.

Therefore, baby Mapelli Mozzi is three generations removed from her ancestors who were inhabitants of Italy, just as Princess Beatrice and all of her first cousins are three generations removed from their ancestors who were inhabitants of Greece, since Prince Philip left Greece before his second birthday.

Using an Italian name for Miss Mapelli Mozzi would be analogous to using a Greek name for Princess Anne's children (whom she named Peter and Zara Phillips). There would be nothing wrong with it, as the children are untitled members of the extended royal family and not senior royals who might need to use a British name, but it would not be necessary on the basis of their three generations removed Italian/Greek heritage.

Last edited:
Flora Elizabeth Victoria
Alice Victoria Mary
Nicole Margaret Eugenie
Alexandra Isabel Sarah

I really expect to see a little Victoria. As for middle names, I'm not 100% certain but I'd bet on Elizabeth being included. Maybe something like Victoria Margaret Elizabeth or Victoria Elizabeth Margaret since Sarah's middle name is Margaret or even Victoria Elizabeth Eugenie or Victoria Elizabeth Helena after Eugenie since she and Beatrice are so close.

Whatever they choose I'm looking forward to the announcement of the name and, with any luck, a photo.

Last edited:
It is worth remembering, I think, that the new Miss Mapelli Mozzi is only as much Italian as her mother Princess Beatrice is Greek. Edo Mapelli Mozzi is a native-born Briton who has lived in the United Kingdom throughout his life and travels exclusively on a British passport. His father Alex Mapelli Mozzi was born and raised in Argentina, sent to the UK as a teenager in 1963, and naturalized as a British citizen. Edo's mother Nikki Williams-Ellis, née Burrows, is, as far as I have read, not of Italian descent.

Therefore, baby Mapelli Mozzi is three generations removed from her ancestors who were inhabitants of Italy, just as Princess Beatrice and all of her first cousins are three generations removed from their ancestors who were inhabitants of Greece, since Prince Philip left Greece before his second birthday.

Using an Italian name for Miss Mapelli Mozzi would be analogous to using a Greek name for Princess Anne's children (whom she named Peter and Zara Phillips). There would be nothing wrong with it, as the children are untitled members of the extended royal family and not senior royals who might need to use a British name, but it would not be necessary on the basis of their three generations removed Italian/Greek heritage.

It is possible, however, that Edo's father or even Edo himself might hold Italian citizenship (I don't know if they do).

I say so because Italy is (or, at least, used to be in the past) very generous about nationality by descent. There are many second or third-generation Argentinians or Brazilians for example (i.e. people who have only one Italian grandparent or great-grandparent) who nonetheless have Italian passports. It is no so common in the US, although there are many Italian-Americans, probably because Americans are not interested in acquiring other citizenship in the same way as Argentinians or Brazilians are.

Furthermore, Edo's family owns real estate in Italy (including ancestral family seats) and travels frequently to Italy, so they clearly keep a connection to the country. I don't see the need to play that down, as it is not derogatory at all.

Last edited:
I have a feeling she may choose Elizabeth as the first name.

I think Elizabeth will probably be in the name somewhere, somehow, but I don't see it being the first name. I think Beatrice would be cognizant that it's kind of too close in time to the hue and cry of Lilibet's naming. Just my thought though.

Back
Top Bottom