Names and godparents for Beatrice and Edo's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Furthermore, Edo's family owns real estate in Italy (including ancestral family seats) and travels frequently to Italy, so they clearly keep a connection to the country. I don't see the need to play that down, as it is not derogatory at all.

For Edo himself and for his daughter, I see the press and the public playing the connection up, not down. One could compare it with the treatment of the Belgian royal family, as their family connections to Italy are even closer than Edo's or his daughter's. They have also vacationed in Italy and King Philippe for example is the son of an Italian who not only has family real estate in Italy, but was born and raised there and now resides for much of the year there, yet Philippe unlike Edo is never described as an Italian.

For a British comparison, one could look to the children of the Duchess of Gloucester. Their mother being a native Dane gives them a family connection to Denmark stronger than Edo's family connection to Italy. However, one never sees the Earl of Ulster, Lady Davina Lewis or Lady Rose Gilman (much less their children) described as Danes. And I suspect that the bookkeepers were not seeing as many bets that the Earl, Lady Davina or Lady Rose would choose Danish names for their children.

There would be nothing strange in the Mapelli Mozzis choosing an Italian name for their daughter, and there would have been nothing strange in the Earl and Countess of Ulster choosing Danish names for their children or Princess Anne and Mark Phillips choosing Greek names for theirs. However, there is a difference in how their similar degrees of foreign heritage have been treated. And to be honest, I suspect that if Edo's parents had named him Edward Burrows rather than Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, then he and his daughter would be treated more alike other royal family members with foreign heritage.

Excited to see if they're going for something similar to Wolfie with an honour name first and then a secondary name and/or nickname she'll be known by, or if they'll just go for a first name they like and keep the honour names in the middle. I suspect a nickname will be involved. Regardless, I have high hopes that Beatrice and Edo will come up with something neat.

Susan or a variation thereof seems like a pretty good guess for somewhere in the name with it being the name of both Beatrice's and Edo's maternal grandmother. Would love Alice for them but isn't Beatrice's maternal aunt named Alice? Don't know how close they are though.

I've also been toying with an animal-related name to match Wolfie (and by a stretch also August Philip Hawke :cool:). Before H&M went for Lilibet, I was really liking Elizabeth with the nickname Birdie :D I don't know if they'd consider that too close to Lilibet but they could obviously still use it in the middle. They could also go for Isabella which I believe is the Italian variation of Elizabeth.

Isabella Susan Victoria
Victoria Philippa Wren
Elizabeth Susan Alice "Birdie"
Susanna Elizabeth Alice "Birdie"

Gaia Elizabeth Victoria
Luna Philippa Susan
Ottilie Alice Elizabeth "Otter" :cool:
Cosima Elizabeth Lark "Mimi"

:previous:

The Italian pure version of Elizabeth is Elisabetta.
Isabella is a Spanish and Italian variation on Elizabeth.

Instead of Philippa for a middle name, the variant Philippine or Philippina

Helena Elizabeth
Cecily Victoria

Both are beautiful names IMO but I have a funny feeling that they will surprise us!

Loving the Isabella suggestion, seems to go well with a lot of the middle names they could use as tributes. Though perhaps Isabel if they choose to put Sarah in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loving the Isabella suggestion, seems to go well with a lot of the middle names they could use as tributes. Though perhaps Isabel if they choose to put Sarah in.

I like the name, but it always seems to devolve into "Izzy" or "Iz" which I find horrible.

I'm hoping for something traditional and not trendy.

Sara Nicola Mapelli Mozzi

Sara to grandmother Sarah Ferguson
Nicola to grandmother Nicola Burrrows

Victoria Sarah Nicola. Gift to Sarah from Andrew was Queen Victoria diaries. Beatrice was in the movie as a lady in the coronation for Queen Victoria and then to simple to honor both grandmother's.

Uuuh, still no news about the name... and the little one is already 5 days old.

How many days old were other Queen's great-grandchildren when we heard their names?
Anyone remembers and can make a compilation?

Susanna Victoria or Victoria Susanna in honor of her late, other great grandmother Susan Barrantes.

Last edited:
Perhaps a name after the hospital..

Chelsea Margaret

Or London Bridge..

Mary Bridget

Or the Queen..

Elizabeth York

Godparents: Louise, Catherine, and three friends.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for Elizabeth Alice. To honor The Queen and Prince Philips Mother.

Still hoping for Victoria, as it's been forever since the BRF had one (and Beatrice clearly feels strongly about the association)!

I'm sure whatever gets picked will cause some joy.

none of the grandchildren or great grandchildren have been called Elizabeth as first name. But I would expect Beatrice to use it as a second name...

Still hoping for Victoria, as it's been forever since the BRF had one (and Beatrice clearly feels strongly about the association)!

I'm sure whatever gets picked will cause some joy.

Same!! I've been hoping that the BRF would bring back Victoria for a while now, and I really think Beatrice, with her great interest in Victoria, might finally be the one :flowers:

Same!! I've been hoping that the BRF would bring back Victoria for a while now, and I really think Beatrice, with her great interest in Victoria, might finally be the one :flowers:
I think Victoria Sarah Nicola is perfect. Honors both grandmother's.

Eugenie and Jack’s son, little August, wasn’t named for eleven days after his birth.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56137887

I am pretty sure that Beatrice and Edo have named their baby by now. She is a week old, and I always had the feeling that Beatrice knew she was having a girl early on.

They are just taking their time making the news public. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened the same way with Eugenie.

I'm sure they have the name and are just waiting to announce it. It's likely that Bea will do it on her twitter sometime in the next week.

I was talking to someone today who swore they were going to call her Violet Amelia Elizabeth. No particular reason as far as I could see.

It will be interesting to see.

I'd love them to choose Victoria. It's not particularly fashionable in the UK at the moment, but I don't think that'd bother them.

Since Eugenie had to postpone August's original date due to the pandemic, it would be so sweet for Bea and Eug to have a joint christening. :wub::wub:

Being, the first christening the Queen will attend without Philip by her side, that would make it memorable!

Since Eugenie had to postpone August's original date due to the pandemic, it would be so sweet for Bea and Eug to have a joint christening. :wub::wub:

Being, the first christening the Queen will attend without Philip by her side, that would make it memorable!

Add into that scenario that the couples do the switcheroo with each other as being godparents to each other's child. A *real* family christening affair. I think it would be so touching to see that.

Problem with that is the christening gown - both children should wear the same gown by tradition.

Problem with that is the christening gown - both children should wear the same gown by tradition.

And therein lies the important fact that totally escaped me. :D

I thought I read that August - like Lucas Tindall - had outgrown that gown by now, and alternative arrangements were being made.

In fact, Princess Eugenie herself wasn’t christened until she was 9 months old and the christening gown was a tight fit! The delay was due to Andrew being away as a naval flight commander.

I am hoping for Alice Victoria Elizabeth for the baby’s name.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom