Jack Brooksbank: Is there a Title in his future?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My guess is during her daily life her title is not really used.

LaRae

Apparently there is at least one precedent for the wishes of a married woman taking priority over consistency with British customary styles. In 2018, an MP was rebuked by the Speaker of the House of Commons for addressing another MP, against her wishes, by her "correct" title as the wife of her husband.

Boris Johnson has apologised after referring to the shadow foreign secretary, Emily Thornberry, as “Lady Nugee”. The Speaker of the House of Commons said the references, in relation to Thornberry’s husband, Sir Christopher Nugee, were sexist and inappropriate.

[...]

Bercow interrupted Johnson: “First, we do not name call in this chamber, and secondly ... we do not address people by the titles of their spouses. The shadow foreign secretary has a name and it is not ‘Lady Something’.​

Having said that, the Queen possesses many more powers and prerogatives than a mere MP, and I imagine that if the Queen had been the one to address Emily Thornberry as Lady Nugee, the Speaker of the House of Commons would not have responded to her in the same manner.

Relatedly, I have the impression that Princess Eugenie has been reducing her usage of "of York" recently.

There was a lot more going on there than protocol. The Queen is only likely to address Emily Thornberry as anything if she came to a function or banquet at BP, probably with her husband, In that case they probably would be addressed on the envelope as The Rt Hon. Lord Justice Nugee and Lady Nugee.

Debretts seems to say that legal titles aren't used socially so socially speaking it might just be Sir Christopher and Lady Nugee. And given that it is Emily Thornberry she might still officially be just Emily Thornberry, MP anyway.

I do think Eugenie might shift to definitely HRH Princess Eugenie but not sure about the Mrs Brooksbank part.

There was a lot more going on there than protocol. The Queen is only likely to address Emily Thornberry as anything if she came to a function or banquet at BP, probably with her husband, In that case they probably would be addressed on the envelope as The Rt Hon. Lord Justice Nugee and Lady Nugee.

Debretts seems to say that legal titles aren't used socially so socially speaking it might just be Sir Christopher and Lady Nugee. And given that it is Emily Thornberry she might still officially be just Emily Thornberry, MP anyway.

I do think Eugenie might shift to definitely HRH Princess Eugenie but not sure about the Mrs Brooksbank part.

I think it all depends on whether Eugenie wants to use her husband's surname in a royal and social setting or how the royal staff determine on her style of address (This is assuming that Jack will not get title and remain Mr. Jack Brooksbank). Professionally at work, she is still refer as Eugenie York, which is understandable and possibly more convenient to not change surname after marriage. When Lady Gabriella Kingston was releasing her music for charity last year, she was Ella Windsor, given that she was already writing songs before her marriage.

For Emily Thornberry, I think she never used her husband surname in politics even before her husband was knighted. She was Emily Thornberry when she was elected as a MP for Islington South and Finsbury in 2005 (Apologies for the text and website, I originally find the source from wikipedia). Christopher Nugee was knighted in the 2014 Special Honours. I'm unsure what she is refer as (Ms. Thornberry?)

Islington South and Finsbury;Emily Thornberry;11;Islington;57748;4594;12345;11861;0;0;2161
https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/electdata_2005ob.txt

Theresa May (née Brasier) however has used her husband surname in politics. She was refer as Mrs. May when she was in the front bench and Prime Minister. When her husband was knighted last year, technically she becomes Lady May, but I have not heard the media refer to her that way.

Last edited:
In early 2021, the Line of Succession listing was modified to refer to the princesses as Princess Beatrice, Mrs. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi and Princess Eugenie, Mrs. Jack Brooksbank.

https://www.royal.uk/succession

As Co-founders of the Anti-slavery Collective, Princess Eugenie and Julia de Boinville visited Caritas Bakhita House, a place that provides women escaping human trafficking with support they needed in the recovery process.

@caritas_westminster
“We were pleased to have Princess Eugenie and Julia de Boinville for a second visit to the House. Modern Slavery is too big an issue for any single group to tackle alone so we welcome the work of the Anti-Slavery Collective in raising awareness and strengthening coalitions.” Karen Anstiss, Caritas Bakhita House Manager

Last week, HRH Princess Eugenie and Julia de Boinville, co-founders of the @the_anti_slavery_collective visited Caritas Bakhita House, a place which provides women escaping #HumanTrafficking with the safety and support needed to allow them to begin the recovery process.

We thank the team at Caritas Bakhita House for the incredible work they do, as well as the team at The Anti-Slavery Collective, whose mission is to bring change-makers together to raise awareness for modern slavery as a global epidemic.

To read more about the visit, click the link in our bio followed by News/Events!

#MakeADifference #LoveInAction #EndModernSlavery

? The Anti-Slavery Collective

1d​
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQgmk-vLnsa/

On #WorldDayAgainstChildLabour Day, Princess Eugenie and Julia de Boinville, co-founders of The Anti-Slavery Collective spoke about the importance of working towards ending child labour and being educated about these issues.
@the_anti_slavery_collective
TODAY is #WorldDayAgainstChildLabour ? Hear HRH Princess Eugenie (@princesseugenie) and Julia de Boinville, co-founders of The Anti-Slavery Collective, speak on the importance of working towards ending child labour and educating ourselves on the issues.

[Description: Video of HRH Princess Eugenie and Julia de Boineville]
3h​
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQA5dekn0CK/

It is interesting that Princess Eugenie consistently used the "of York" designation for her anti-slavery campaigning for the first two years or thereabouts after her marriage, but has dropped it in the past few months. I wonder if anything in particular (e.g., the birth of her son) prompted the change.

In early 2021, the Line of Succession listing was modified to refer to the princesses as Princess Beatrice, Mrs. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi and Princess Eugenie, Mrs. Jack Brooksbank.

https://www.royal.uk/succession

It is interesting that Princess Eugenie consistently used the "of York" designation for her anti-slavery campaigning for the first two years or thereabouts after her marriage, but has dropped it in the past few months. I wonder if anything in particular (e.g., the birth of her son) prompted the change.
Could the "of York" have been dropped because the press might start referring to August as August of York?

I think it all depends on whether Eugenie wants to use her husband's surname in a royal and social setting or how the royal staff determine on her style of address (This is assuming that Jack will not get title and remain Mr. Jack Brooksbank). Professionally at work, she is still refer as Eugenie York, which is understandable and possibly more convenient to not change surname after marriage. When Lady Gabriella Kingston was releasing her music for charity last year, she was Ella Windsor, given that she was already writing songs before her marriage.

For Emily Thornberry, I think she never used her husband surname in politics even before her husband was knighted. She was Emily Thornberry when she was elected as a MP for Islington South and Finsbury in 2005 (Apologies for the text and website, I originally find the source from wikipedia). Christopher Nugee was knighted in the 2014 Special Honours. I'm unsure what she is refer as (Ms. Thornberry?)

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/electdata_2005ob.txt

Theresa May (née Brasier) however has used her husband surname in politics. She was refer as Mrs. May when she was in the front bench and Prime Minister. When her husband was knighted last year, technically she becomes Lady May, but I have not heard the media refer to her that way.

Same as with Mrs. Thatcher, who as wife of Sir Denis, was already Lady Thatcher for a long time, before the media addressed her as such after she was created a baroness in her own right.

Back
Top Bottom