Jack Brooksbank: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zonk

Administrator
City
Somewhere in
Country
United States
Welcome to Jack Brooksbanks Family and Background Thread.

This thread is for discussing Jack's family, as well as his background - career, education, etc.​

Anyone knows Jack's exact date of birth?
It would be nice to enter him into "Birthday and Annversary wishes" thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he's most the "well-connected" person to marry into the BRF since Sarah Ferguson married Prince Andrew in 1986. Interesting that he's related to Eugenie through Sarah.

Diana was pretty well connected, Sarah was well connected....I think Sohpie was the first one to not be as well connected of that generation.

Kate, Meghan, Mike and Autumn ..none of them are 'well connected' Very different era.

LaRae

In addition to being related to Sarah, Duchess of York he's also related to the late Diana, Princess of Wales and the Rt. Hon Sir Angus Ogilvy who married Princess Alexandra.

Chart 1

John Spencer 1st Earl Spencer (1734-1783)
|
Lady Georgiana Spencer (1757-1806) & 5th Duke of Devonshire
|
Lady Georgiana Cavendish (1783-1858) & 6th Earl of Carlisle
|
Lady Caroline Howard (d. 1881) & Rt. Hon. William Lascelles
|
Henrietta Lascelles (1830-1884) & 2nd Baron Chesham
|
Hon. Georgiana Cavendish (1852-1937) & Thomas Coke 2nd Earl of Leicester (1822-1909) (see chart 3, with 1st wife)
|
Maj. Hon. John Coke (1880-1957)
|
Celia Dorothy Coke (1919-1996) & Stamp Brooksbank
|
George Brooksbank (b. 1949)
|
Jack Brooksbank (b. 1986)

Chart 2

|
George John Spencer 2nd Earl Spencer (1758-1834)
|
Frederick Spencer 4th Earl Spencer (1798-1857)
|
Charles Spencer 6th Earl Spencer (1857-1922)
|
John Spencer 7th Earl Spencer (1892-1975)
|
John Spencer 8th Earl Spencer (1924-1992)
|
Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Chart 3

Thomas Coke 2nd Earl of Leicester (see chart 1, with 2nd wife) (1822-1909) & (1st wife) Juliana Whitbread (d. 1870)
|
Thomas William Coke 3rd Earl of Leicester (1848-1941)
|
Lady Alexandra Coke (1891-1984) & 7th Earl of Airlie
|
Rt. Hon. Sir Angus Ogilvy (1928-2004)

Diana was pretty well connected, Sarah was well connected....I think Sohpie was the first one to not be as well connected of that generation.

Kate, Meghan, Mike and Autumn ..none of them are 'well connected' Very different era.

LaRae

Diana was one step above all the others. She was not royal, but she was the actaul daughter of an earl (i.e. first-generation "nobility" in the continental European, though not British sense) and, more importantly, came from a very old and illustrious family. She was also an illegitimate descendant of at least one sovereign of England and Scotland (Charles II).

Sarah and Jack are "gentry", which again is still one step above the likes of Kate or Sophie in the English class system. Meghan doesn't really have a "family pedigree", but, as an outsider to English society, it doesn't matter that much.

In addition to being related to Sarah, Duchess of York he's also related to the late Diana, Princess of Wales and the Rt. Hon Sir Angus Ogilvy who married Princess Alexandra.

Chart 1

|
Lady Georgiana Spencer (1757-1806) & 5th Duke of Devonshire
|
|
|
|
Hon. Georgiana Cavendish (1852-1937) & Thomas Coke 2nd Earl of Leicester (1822-1909) (see chart 3, with 1st wife)
|
|
|
|

Chart 2

|
George John Spencer 2nd Earl Spencer (1758-1834)
|
Frederick Spencer 4th Earl Spencer (1798-1857)
|
Charles Spencer 6th Earl Spencer (1857-1922)
|
John Spencer 7th Earl Spencer (1892-1975)
|
John Spencer 8th Earl Spencer (1924-1992)
|
Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Chart 3

Thomas Coke 2nd Earl of Leicester (see chart 1, with 2nd wife) (1822-1909) & (1st wife) Juliana Whitbread (d. 1870)
|
Thomas William Coke 3rd Earl of Leicester (1848-1941)
|
Lady Alexandra Coke (1891-1984) & 7th Earl of Airlie
|
Rt. Hon. Sir Angus Ogilvy (1928-2004)

So, he is a descendent of the famous 'Duchess of Devonshire'... Thanks for this overview!

Diana was one step above all the others. She was not royal, but she was the actaul daughter of an earl (i.e. first-generation "nobility" in the continental European, though not British sense) and, more importantly, came from a very old and illustrious family. She was also an illegitimate descendant from at least one sovereign of England and Scotland (Charles II).

Sarah and Jack are "gentry", which again is still one step above the likes of Kate or Sophie in the English class system. Meghan doesn't really have a "family pedigree", but, as an outsider to English society, it doesn't matter that much.

Diana was one step above in terms of her immediate ancestry but once you go back a few generations in Sarah's family, past the "gentry," you'll actually find she and Diana had roughly an equal amount of titled families. This is mainly because Diana's maternal ancestors, the Fermoys, only acquired their title in 1856 and their ancestry was middle class not aristocratic. For example, both of Sarah's grandmothers were from titled families. Her grandmother Ferguson was a granddaughter of the 6th Duke of Buccleuch who also descended from an illegitimate son of Charles II.

So, he is a descendent of the famous 'Duchess of Devonshire'... Thanks for this overview!

Yes, and so is Eugenie, through the Duchess' illegitimate daughter by Charles Grey:

Lady Georgiana Spencer (1757-1806) (wife of 5th Duke of Devonshire) & Charles Grey 2nd Earl Grey
|
Eliza Courtney (1791-1859) & Robert Ellice
|
Eliza Ellice (1818-1899) & 1st Viscount Hampden
|
Henry Brand 2nd Viscount Hampden (1841-1906)
|
Hon. Margaret Brand (1873-1948) & Algernon Ferguson
|
Col. Andrew Ferguson (1899-1966)
|
Maj. Ronald Ferguson (1931-2003)
|
Sarah, Duchess of York (born 1959)
|
Eugenie (born 1990)

I believe Jack and Sarah are third cousins if I am not mistaken. Eugenie would be his third cousin once removed then.

Jack and Sarah would be third cousins once removed, and Eugenie twice.

The second earl of Leicester had two wives and 16 children. His eldest child Julia married the 7th viscount Powercourt. Their eldest son and heir was Sarah's great-grandfather. That makes the earl Sarah's three times great grandfather. By his second wife, the earl had a son named John. John was Jack's great-grandfather, making the earl Jack's two times great-grandfather.

Here's another relationship, this time through the Queen Mother:

Chart 1

William Cavendish 4th Duke of Devonshire (1720-1764)
|
William Cavendish 5th Duke of Devonshire (1748-1811)
|
|
|
|
Hon. Georgiana Cavendish (1852-1937) & Thomas Coke 2nd Earl of Leicester (1822-1909)
|
|
|
|
Jack Brooskbank (b. 1986)

Chart 2

William Cavendish 4th Duke of Devonshire (1720-1764)
|
Lady Dorothy Cavendish (1750-94) & William Cavendish-Bentinck 3rd Duke of Portland
|
Lord Charles Cavendish-Bentinck (1780-1826)
|
Rev. Charles Cavendish-Bentinck (1817-65)
|
Cecilia Cavendish-Bentinck (1862-1938) & Claude Bowes-Lyon 14th Earl of Strathmore & Kinghorne
|
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother (1900-2002) & King George VI
|
Queen Elizabeth II (b. 1926) & Philip Duke of Edinburgh
|
Prince Andrew Duke of York (b. 1960)
|
Eugenie (b. 1990)

Interesting! I googled some of the names mentioned and as an aside, discovered it is actually quite common for Americans to marry into the peerage, and there have been many since Reconstruction. Fascinating history!

American? Isn't he English? He attended a British school according the link posted above.

Yes, he is--I did say it was an aside.

The family histories are all pretty interesting.

Interesting! I googled some of the names mentioned and as an aside, discovered it is actually quite common for Americans to marry into the peerage, and there have been many since Reconstruction. Fascinating history!

This is true. Americans have been marrying into the British peerage quite a bit over the years. Diana's great grandmother, Frances Work was an American heiress and socialite. There's some really interesting stories about this subject in other threads on TRF. Thelma Furness, who was a mistress to the abdicated King Edward VIII before Wallis Simpson, actually is a twin sister to Gloria Vanderbilt who is the mother of the well known CNN anchorman, Anderson Cooper.

This is what I love about TRF. Come for something as simple as a royal engagement and end up finding out all kinds of fascinating things you never would have found before. :D

Anyways.... back to Jack Brooksbank and his family and heritage.

Thanks, I'll look for the other discussions.

I'll stop my thread-jacking now. Carry on! :cool:

If you want to learn more I suggest the following books:

Start with this one:
"To Marry an English Lord: Tales of Wealth and Marriage, Sex and Snobbery" by Gail MacColl & Carol Wallace

Also:
"In a Gilded Cage: From Heiress to Duchess" by Marian Fowler

"The Transatlantic Marriage Bureau: Husband Hunting in the Gilded Age: How American Heiresses Conquered the Aristocracy" by Julie Ferry

Would people frown on Jack because he doesn't have a university degree, which I assume must be not so common for a male from his social class these days ?

On a side note, Prince Andrew and Prince Harry don't have university degrees either, but at least they pursued a career in the military as officers, which some people very loosely equate to having a bachelor's degree, although that is not true in the UK.

Last edited:
Well, it didn't stop him from being succesful, so personally I wouldn't. University isn't everything and not for everyone.

I'm a firm believer that pieces of paper do not make success in life. Its what is done with the knowledge one does have and how they apply it. Jack, obviously, is able to find his niche in the world and make a go of things without needing a degree.

Harry definitely doesn't seem to need a degree to do what he does. His natural charisma and his ability to communicate with people isn't something that needed to be taught. He's a natural.

Education is a wonderful thing but there are other aspects just as important in finding success. Motivation and discipline and determination also play huge roles.

Jack Brooksbank is also related to Elizabeth Gaskell, author of Cranford, North and South, and Wives and Daughters, etc. She was a first cousin of his ancestor Charles Holland. Her husband William Gaskell and Jack's ancestor Elizabeth (Gaskell) Holland (wife of Charles) were siblings.

Chart 1

Samuel Holland (1734-1816)
|
Elizabeth Holland (1764-1812) & Rev. William Stevenson
|
Elizabeth Cleghorn Stevenson “Mrs. Gaskell” (1810-1865)
m. Rev. William Gaskell (1805-1884) (see Chart 3)

Chart 2

Samuel Holland (1734-1816)
|
Samuel Holland (1768-1851)
|
Charles Holland (1799-1870) & Elizabeth Gaskell (see Chart 3)
|
Sir Arthur Holland (1843-1928)
|
Godfrey Holland (1872-1966)
|
Joanna Holland (b, 1926) & Michael Newton
|
Nicola Newton (b. 1953) & George Brooksbank
|

Chart 3

William Gaskell (1777-1819) – see Chart 2 for his son Rev. William Gaskell (1805-1884)
|
Elizabeth Gaskell (1811-1892) & Charles Holland (see Chart 2)
|
Sir Arthur Holland (1843-1928)
|
Godfrey Holland (1872-1966)
|
Joanna Holland (b. 1926) & Michael Newton
|
Nicola Newton (b. 1953) & George Brooksbank
|

University isn't everything and not for everyone.

Precisely, and [arguably] an easy way of incurring vast amounts of debt one then spends ones 20/30s encumbered by...

I don't care who this mans great great grand uncle's brother was. What has he done of note if anything; I may MAY care what his parents do but not much farther back. He hasn't gone to college... so what's his job?

I don't care who this mans great great grand uncle's brother was. What has he done of note if anything; I may MAY care what his parents do but not much farther back. He hasn't gone to college... so what's his job?

Did you follow the link in post #15?

ummmmm...loving, honoring and cherishing Eugenie? :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom